PDA

View Full Version : Double vs two single stollers...opionions please

aurora, ariel, and bell
07-02-2009, 02:29 PM
We will be bringing two granddaughters ages just turning 4 and just turning 5. I have two single strollers that are just a bit bigger than an umbrella, bit of storage and one handed fold. (not expensive ones)
Since it is just grandpa and me with the kids would i be better to get a side by side umbrella double stroller, or use the two singles.
We travel only by Disney buses etc. My biggest concern is after park closing and they may fall asleep in stroller and they can stay in it until we have to load for the bus.

Will the double be too wide and awkward for the parks, (and perhaps too hard to push with two children in it) or will the two singles be too difficult for the two of us to handle (along with sleepy kids on the bus)

any suggestions appreciated:mickey:

gaffz70
07-02-2009, 02:43 PM
I vote for 2 umbrella strollers - as long as there are 2 adults who can each push one.

This is what we have always used at it seems to work really well. The umbrella strollers are easy to get around in crowds and also really easy to fold and get onto the bus. When the bus was approaching the kids got out, my dh folded them up and carried onto the bus - not too bulky.

I also like them over renting - we would just keep our stuff in them so we were ready to go each morning, no waiting in lines to rent and loved having them for the airport too!!

JRocker
07-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I have seen a lot of pent up angry parents trying to manuever those side by side doubles around the parks.

Pushing a stroller around the world is difficult enough, doubling its width just makes it that much more fun.

The single umbrella's are the best bet when it comes to bus/tram loading. They are compact, light, and can double as a weapon if needed. :blush:

Of course, I prefer the front/back double. But the bulk does make for interesting tram rides.

tink179
07-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Definitely go with 2 umbrella strollers! We were sure glad we did last year after previously using a double and an umbrella. We have 3 kids and this past January trip we made the oldest who is 8 walk. So, we just used 2 umbrellas strollers and it was so heavenly in stores and on the buses!:cloud9:

biodtl
07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
There are special "clips" you can buy to turn 2 umbrellas into a double. I don't think they are too expensive. It might be worth it so you could have both options.

Lizzie
07-02-2009, 08:42 PM
If your kids are tall enough to ride everything you want to ride than you are fine with the two strollers.

When we were with our two kids and just the two of us it would have been hard to have two strollers. When one of us would ride the ride the other would walk around with the kids.

EmmMOM2
07-03-2009, 08:48 AM
two singles would be fine i think.
Though i brought my 4 year old and he walked the whole time...though we did go back to the hotel in the afternoon for a relax time/pool time.
He never USED a stroller that trip so i was glad i hadn't brought one...
We are going this year again and he's 5.
I'm still not brining a stroller for him, only for my 2 year old.

kathiep
07-03-2009, 09:57 AM
We always found the 2 umbrellas were the easiest to use. We also bought the connectors, I think they were @ $10. So on occasion, we could quickly combine the 2 umbrellas into a double. It was nice having the option.

aurora, ariel, and bell
07-03-2009, 03:39 PM
I just found a graco duo glide front and back. It drives nice and folds so easily. Just worried about the weight and size on the buses. Is it doable? Kids are 4 and 5 but may nap.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I have managed the graco duo on the busses no problems... Last year managed a sit and stand... and this year considering a double jogger. Dont be afraid of bulky strollers on busses! You wont be the only one... and having kids comfy ALL DAY in the park is well worth lugging it on and off the bus.

Madzac
07-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I would highly recommend two strollers!!! A double is tough to manuever in the parks if you get a side by side since it is so wide. We prefered having two also because then we could park at the curb for a parade and both kids could see, where one couldnt in a front/back double... may work with an infant and older child but not two older kids.

Two strollers is easier on the buses too... you can get a shoulder strap, much less bulky, weights less etc.

I learned the hard way... much much happier this last trip with two good singles.

BrownEyedGrrl
07-04-2009, 10:30 PM
If you go with the two umbrella strollers option, you can buy connectors for about $10. We did that for our first trip with our boys a few years ago. The clamps easily snapped on to make a double (side by side) stroller, and easily off if we each wanted to push one. They folded up while clamped together as well.

One thing to consider though, is comfort for the adult(s) pushing the stroller. I've found that most umbrella strollers have a much lower handle reach than full-size single or double strollers. My DH is 6' 3", and it was not comfortable at all for him to lean forward to push umbrella strollers, so we ended up making an extension handle (you can buy those too, we just didn't find them in time to buy before our trip) so that I wasn't the one pushing them the entire trip.

Lionheart sells connectors, and you can google stroller handle extenders to get results on sites that sell them as well as how to make your own. Both were very handy items, and we were frequently stopped by other guests, wanting to know where we'd purchased them.

crazypoohbear
07-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I would go for the two strollers. that way it's easier and if you want/need to split up you can do it.
Also, you have storage under both of them so it is alot when you consider this.

threeh
07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I got something on line called a buggy board and it is a shelf with a wheel that attaches to the umbrella stroller that the older child can stand on. Your umbrella stroller works as a double, less to lug around. google buggy board, it was very studry and easy to fold up stroller still. I swear by it and recomend it whenever anyone needs 2 strollers.
Hapy planning:mickey:

rjmdds
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Helpful thread. I am in a similar predicament, however my DD is 7 and I know there will bepoints during the day where she needs a rest. i am considering bringing two single strollers to the parks, parking one and leaving it there until needed, say, at the end of the day. Does anyone think this would be a problem?