PDA

View Full Version : Special Assistance Pass?

Lizzie
07-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Not sure where to ask this question or how to word it.

My Mom has had ankle problems for years. On her last trip to Disneyland her Doctor recommended she rent a scooter or a wheelchair because of the problems she was having. She didn't want to do that instead she used walking sticks.

She is now going to Disneyworld in October she knows how to utilize fastpasses but I am afraid even with doing that with all that walking she won't be able to last the week.

What should I recommend she do? What options are out there for her? Any help would be great. Thanks.

threeh
07-02-2009, 03:27 PM
My DH has a prosthetic leg and on our last trip a CM approached him and asked if he wanted a kind of handicap fast pass, it enabled him to go in the fast pass lanes for the day. We only used it that one time but the CM said you can stop by the ticket booths to get one. I hope that helps!!!
Good luck!!:mickey:

dnickels
07-02-2009, 10:48 PM
I would recommend renting one of their wheelchairs. They're just 10 bucks a day, if she's halfway through the day and still feeling like a million bucks you can always return the wheelchair and not use it. :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
07-03-2009, 11:01 AM
My DH has a prosthetic leg and on our last trip a CM approached him and asked if he wanted a kind of handicap fast pass, it enabled him to go in the fast pass lanes for the day. We only used it that one time but the CM said you can stop by the ticket booths to get one. I hope that helps!!!
Good luck!!
I believe you need a doctor's note, get one and take it to guest services. :mickey:

Hayden's Dad
07-03-2009, 01:52 PM
You don't need a doctor's note for a GAC Guest Assistance Pass. You can ask guest Services if a GAC is needed, but to be honest they are probably going to recommend a wheelchair. The GACs seem to typically be for more severe injuries and diseases that prevent the guest from beign able physically to wait in the lines. Even then it's still not a front of the line pass. It couldn't hurt to ask, but I would recommend renting a wheelchair and using the handicap entrances at the ride. Good luck. Have fun. :mickey:

Imagineer1981
07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
They are called Guest Assitance Cards, and usually reserved for guests who either have a disability that will not allow them to physically wait in line or many times someone with a terminal illness. Essentially though, if you get at GAC, you'll do the same thing as a wheelchair, you go through the wheelchair entrance, all it does really it let the CMs know you need a little extra help

Lizzie
07-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks. I will see if she would be willing to get one. Any help might be needed at the end of the trip.

peemagg
07-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Here is a fun little fact to pass on to your Mom about the size of Disney World compared to DisneyLand. You can take the entire Disneyland and put it into the parking lot of the Magic Kingdom. People walk about 8 miles a day in Disney World. Ask her if she can walk that distance not once, but everyday of the trip. Just ask her to think hard about using a wheelchair or scooter, she will find that she will have a better time if she does so.

I took my scooter this past trip and was glad I did. When I wanted to walk, I could either park it somewhere close by or someone else I traveled with rode it for a while. It actually made it nicer for all of us.

Townie
07-28-2009, 12:46 PM
The guest assistance pass is for people who cannot tolerate waiting in line for long periods of times, such as kids with autism and sensory integration problems. People with physical disabilities can use a wheelchair or use the HP entrance without need of a pass

cherylterese
09-28-2009, 04:04 PM
The guest assistance pass is for people who cannot tolerate waiting in line for long periods of times, such as kids with autism and sensory integration problems. People with physical disabilities can use a wheelchair or use the HP entrance without need of a pass

My son has a sensory processing disorder (he receives services for it and has many Doctor's notes) and I just heard of this guest assistance pass so was checking out the info. on it and found this thread. Is this something worth getting for him? This is our first trip to WDW with the kids so we've never needed to look into this aspect before. What would be the benefit of him getting this pass? (I guess I don't want to draw any more attention to him than necessary if it's not necessary.) How do we go about it if we did want one for him? Thanks!