PDA

View Full Version : UPgrading your resort

ransam
07-02-2009, 09:54 AM
My buddy just came back and when he checked into the All-Star Music resort, he was joking around and asked the CM if he could be upgraded to a better resort. She said she checked and came back and said at that time there was none available....
Was she just being nice and pretending to check, or is it really possible to upgrade your resort to a moderate w/o any additional cost?

offwego
07-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Mostly being nice I suspect, though she may have been checking to see if an upgrade was possible at a discount vs free.
In the event of a overbooking scenario (or say an issue that came up with the resort you were booked at) its possible but in the past WDW has mostly contacted folks prior to check in who would be impacted.

Strmchsr
07-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah, it does happen on VERY rare occasions - such as overbooking mentioned above - but asking for it doesn't usually produce that occasion.

TammiMcMan
07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
You can definitely ask about upgrading a resort upon arrival, but it would not be complimentary. Registration CM's can check and see what's available, but it's my understanding that they can only quote the rack rate if they find something. If he actually used the word "free", then she was probably just being nice and pretending. If she thought he was really looking to upgrade, then she was probably checking rack rate availability.

As others have mentioned, upgrades to a higher resort can sometimes happen. We've seen in the past upgrades from values to the villas (usually SSR). That's normally only done in an oversell situation and the guest is called before the trip.

TheRustyScupper
07-02-2009, 02:10 PM
1) A front desk or concierge CM can see openings at all resorts.
2) They can only quote rack rates.
3) They CANNOT do a complimentary resort-to-resort upgrade.
4) If the guests wants to move, the second resort must grant approval.
5) The second resort also determines the room rate.
6) And, they will not discount the rate. *

* If the guest gets a discounted rate at the second resort, the first resort must pay the price difference from rack rate to the second resort. This is something the first resort does not want to do, except under dire circumstances (mechanical failure, oversold, etc). So, to transfer to another resort, with the exception at rack rate, both resorts have to make agreement. This is a backroom function.

TripPlanner09
07-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I had a question about this too! (Only not about free upgrades)

So we're all set for 5 nights at POR, 5 day park hoppers with the free dining plan from Sept 27-Oct 2.

Worst case scenario- we get there and we hate POR...my dad is used to staying at the Poly so he keeps asking me how easy it would be to change our hotel (depending on availability of course.) If we check in and hate it, is there a way to switch hotels? I know with the MYW packages you have to stay in the same hotel for all the nights of your stay...would it be impossible to do? Thanks so much for any help! :mickey:

DizneyRox
07-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Was told that even SSR was 100% booked. I'm sure Disney would have loved to charge you more for a room and they were just checking for you. It would certainly NOT have bene a complimentary upgrade.

Also, be advised that 100% booked doesn't mean every room is full. Even at SSR, their 100% booked had many many rooms unoccupied. Disney isn't running enough staff to fill all rooms right now. Crowds are down considerably over years past, it's fairly easy to see.

Even restaurants are claiming to be fully booked with many tables going left unused (LeCellier is one) I was surpried to see the number of tables empty, all while turning away guests at the podium. Go figure!

TammiMcMan
07-04-2009, 05:57 PM
So we're all set for 5 nights at POR, 5 day park hoppers with the free dining plan from Sept 27-Oct 2.

Worst case scenario- we get there and we hate POR...my dad is used to staying at the Poly so he keeps asking me how easy it would be to change our hotel (depending on availability of course.) If we check in and hate it, is there a way to switch hotels? I know with the MYW packages you have to stay in the same hotel for all the nights of your stay...would it be impossible to do?With room only, it wouldn't be impossible to change resorts after check in. Provided there's room, you'd end up being charged rack rate at the Poly (at least $250 more per night).

I'm honestly not sure about changing when you have a package. Disney is not able to transfer between resorts, which is why people can't combine split stays with a package.

I may be wrong, but I think they would cancel your package and process a refund check minus any cancellation fees. Then you would go with a brand new reservation and package at the Poly. You'd forfeit the dining and have to pay out of pocket. If you are seriously thinking that the Poly might be better for you, I would get on the phone with guest services (not CRO) and see about upgrading now. With what you have right now, I think it will be impossible to do at check-in.