PDA

View Full Version : damper on downtown disney

edhunter28
07-01-2009, 10:16 PM
my last trip to downtown disney realy stank.Although the restraunts didnt change, the good shops were gone.The only reason to go anymore is for the lego store,the world of disney,once upon a toy,the baloon ride & the food.The west side is pretty much gone except for disney quest,the amc theatre &La nuba.
Pleasure island is now just a walkway to the west side & most of the shops in the marketplace are dull & sell the same stuff.
DOWNTOWN DISNEY HAS CHANGED SO MUCH THAT ITS NOT WORTH GOING TO

Lakin
07-02-2009, 12:23 AM
I don't see how so. Pleasure Island was an unnecessary part of a what was supposed to be a FULLY kid friendly park. Heck, just to get to the World of Disney store when I was 11, my mother had to put her hands over my eyes. Seriously, I always found Pleasure Island to be a rather ridiculous idea in the first place. And, if they were going to do it, make it in an exclusive section where no kids are allowed. I'm very glad they made it a worry-free walkway.

And, besides the Virgin megastore, what good shops closed?

I find that all of the good things that you mentioned (World of Disney Store, Legoland, Once Upon A Toy) make Downtown Disney complete enough for me to make it an exclusive part of my trip.

Toad_Passenger
07-02-2009, 07:31 AM
I was never a big fan of "west side" or Pleasure Island, so for me DD is still one of my favorite places. This past trip we went at least 3 different occasions armed with our Disney Reward Dollars and our Disney Visa's (for our discount!).

As the previous poster said, all of the shops you mentioned are the main reasons we visit DD to begin with! Along with the Christmas shop, and, of course, grabbing some bath bombs from Basin. :D

bruin1344
07-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I am not a big DTD fan especially now that Pleasure Island is closed. I dont like to shop and most of the restaurant are mediocre or arent on the dining plan.

JPL
07-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Pleasure Island was an unnecessary part of a what was supposed to be a FULLY kid friendly park. Heck, just to get to the World of Disney store when I was 11, my mother had to put her hands over my eyes. Seriously, I always found Pleasure Island to be a rather ridiculous idea in the first place. And, if they were going to do it, make it in an exclusive section where no kids are allowed. I'm very glad they made it a worry-free walkway.

PI was designed as a gated nighttime attraction for adults not a walkway that children were suppose to walk through. It wasn't until later when the Westside was built that they decided to open it up a walkway to the Westside which wasn't getting much business. The Disney Management at the time mistakenly blame lack of access saying PI was the reason. The removed the turnstiles to allow the flow of traffic and all the problems started. Until the gates were removed PI was rather successful.

BluewaterBrad
07-02-2009, 04:05 PM
I enjoyed PI. I didnt go every trip, but it was good to go with different people that wanted to stay out later and have some:marg::marg::beer::beer: without worrying about driving back to the resort.:mickey:

Seasonscraps
07-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I enjoyed PI. I didnt go every trip, but it was good to go with different people that wanted to stay out later and have some:marg::marg::beer::beer: without worrying about driving back to the resort.:mickey:

I used to do the same thing. I liked that the clubs were open later then the resort lounges and it was easy to get back to your hotel.

Marceline
07-02-2009, 06:01 PM
DTD has always been about the Marketplace for me. I'm not a drinker so PI never held any big draw. I wish there was more of a draw to the Westside....the last two trips we just skipped it. Virgin Megastore was never something I wanted to do on a Disney vacation, neither is seeing a movie, that just seems like a waste of time. I checked out Disneyquest in 2000 and just haven't felt my DD7 would be too interested in it until now. This trip we are going to try out Pucks Cafe for lunch however. Maybe pop back into DQ if the price is right.

I love DTD. I recall when it was just the Marketplace and the Empress Lilly. It was wonderful and except for the switch to Fulton's all of that area remains the same for the most part. It will always be a great way to spend some time shopping each trip. :thumbsup:

Phantod
07-02-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm with edhunter28. To me DTD is now a complete waste of time without PI. Like I can't shop in any of the other 2000 Disney stores in the various parks? Like that is why I come to WDW to go shopping? Puhleeeze.

I've gotta better things to do with my time, but I'm really missing the Adventurer's Club. We would hit it 3 or 4 times each visit.

Now, we'll be there once this trip, and only because La Nouba is there and we've never done it. And it will be a short visit.

But I guess, that's what makes the world go round....the different things people do on their vacations.

I just don't get the shopping thing. I can do that at home. Why would I pay a ton of money to walk thru shops? And don't even get me started on DQ. :ack:

dnickels
07-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Haha, you sound like me Phantod. :thumbsup: It took me almost 5 months to finally spend my $75 birthday gift card from Disney.

Shopping holds about as much interest for me as getting a root canal, but as another poster said, all those differences make the world go 'round and Disney offers plenty of activities for everyone.

I miss PI though, as mentioned, it was never intended to be a walkway between shopping areas, it was originally meant to be a segregated adult only area. Additionally, the only times I ever saw something that I don't think children should see were REALLY late at night so I guess I never viewed that as a big deal.

Different strokes for different folks.

KatrinaJ91
07-03-2009, 11:23 PM
We love DTD and always go there once or twice during out trip. It's just a great way to get some of the magic outside of the Parks. We usually go there on our first night and get into the spirit of Disney. The atmosphere and the shops are great! :mickey:

sara114
07-04-2009, 07:55 AM
I am thankful that DD is there for my next trip. I am staying 2 nights prior to cruise, but due to money contraints....we are only going into the park possibly 1 time. (This is only if can get pass from friend). I will still be able to get my Disney christmas shopping completed.

KatrinaJ91
07-05-2009, 01:02 AM
At least DTD is free .... try going to Universal City Walk where you have to pay $12 - $15 to park to go just go shopping or eat lunch!! :mickey:

danimator
07-05-2009, 08:59 AM
That's disappointing, but oh well. It was mostly about the AC for me anyway. DTD's nice just for strolling, but I agree about all the shops basically being the same. Though that's a qualm for me pretty much everywhere. On my first visit, there were few things more disappointing than exploring DHS, and entering all the neat-looking shops advertising movie memorabilia and whatnot, and finding out they're all hocking the same "High School Musical" merchandise. :ack:

Ian
07-05-2009, 09:14 AM
I have two basic problems with DD the way it is today ...

#1, the vast majority of the merchandise that's for sale there now I can pretty much get anywhere else on property. There's very little unique merchandise there ... at least unique in the sense that I care about it anyway. I'm not really in WDW to shop for sporting goods. :shake:

and

#2, they really ruined PI unneccesarily. They never, ever should have removed the gates and admission. It worked just fine and was really, really a great place to hang out when it was a gated attraction.

But, as Jeff already pointed out, they built the West Side and figured that a gated PI was blocking people from wandering down that way, so ..... they opened it up.

Which was stupid, because they basically killed PI in the process and now they're left with what's basically a big, dull strip mall.

Wrigley
07-06-2009, 07:21 PM
We love DTD the way it is. We make sure to visit DTD several times during our trip-it's fun for us to just even go and stroll around. We like some of the eateries, and really enjoy many of the shops. I could care less if P.I. is gone because we never went there-not our cup of tea. So, we still DTD and will visit it often on our next trip!:mickey:

RBrooksC
07-13-2009, 03:51 PM
The last time I was there, it was in September so nothing was opened late. So, we would go to DTD rather often in the evening. We never made it to the West Side. To be honest, there isn't much that sparks my interest over there. Even when Virgin was there, because that store was too loud and too expensive.

I went to PI once and only then did I go to The Adventure's Club.

I enjoy the shops at DTD. While I can get much of that stuff in the parks, I would rather not spend time shopping when I am in the parks. Also, we love to get into that annoying long line to get a sundae.

MadMadamMim
07-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I think it's funny how people complain about things they can't change like what used to be and what they wish it would be. I'm a huge proponent of just being happy with what you have. Call me a Polyanna but DTD will always be fun regardless of what stores, bars, restaurants they have or don't have. If I can sit down and people watch with my family, or buy a Christmas ornament while listening to Christmas music year round, or eat delicious ice cream I'm happy. Yes I can do that in the parks but sometimes I just don't feel like it. With that being said I continue to give DTD two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Imagineer1981
07-14-2009, 11:14 AM
We love DTD and we were huge PI fans. We still love DTD, there are plenty of shops at the Marketplace alone that make it an awesome place to visit, I could spend hours at World of Disney and the Art of Disney, the pin station, Christmas Store, Lego Store, etc. Its a great place. We used to love PI, it was a great escape for adults and early 20s adults to hang out, it was always loaded with CMs having a good time. The idea behind PI was to get that adult crowd that was leaving property to go to Orlando for clubs and it worked and worked well, so much so that Universal opened City Walk to compete. Then somehow the higher ups thought up a crazy idea and ruined it.

DizneyRox
07-14-2009, 11:41 AM
And, besides the Virgin megastore, what good shops closed?

So much has come and gone. Two that I miss the most are Gourmet Pantry and Disney At Home. As I've said before, we used to drop thousands in DTD. We've got dinnerware sets that we haven't even unpacked yet. We got it because it was nice and surely we would find a use for it, and we will one of these days.

Lately, we've had trouble find anything worth buying. The merchandise is mostly junk made overseas. Clothing shrinks, their chotchkies now fit their definition... In fact, I think the only shop we spent and "significant" money in was the 12 Days of Christmas. Barely over $100 INCLUDING shipping and personalization.

KatrinaJ91
07-14-2009, 11:43 PM
I think it's funny how people complain about things they can't change like what used to be and what they wish it would be. I'm a huge proponent of just being happy with what you have. Call me a Polyanna but DTD will always be fun regardless of what stores, bars, restaurants they have or don't have. If I can sit down and people watch with my family, or buy a Christmas ornament while listening to Christmas music year round, or eat delicious ice cream I'm happy. Yes I can do that in the parks but sometimes I just don't feel like it. With that being said I continue to give DTD two enthusiastic thumbs up.

We SO agree with you! Like I said before, we love DTD and will always hold a place in our hearts for it! Some have said you can buy the same things in the parks, but we never shop while in the parks...too much else to do!! :mickey:

Phantod
07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
We SO agree with you! Like I said before, we love DTD and will always hold a place in our hearts for it! Some have said you can buy the same things in the parks, but we never shop while in the parks...too much else to do!! :mickey:

Hey Katrina, just to give you a bad time :D You don't have time to shop when you're in the parks, but you have time to get to DTD and shop there? LOL. Still not getting it. Seems like that would take a WHOLE lot more time away from the parks.

Disney Doll
07-17-2009, 01:17 PM
We always schedule a rest day mid trip and that's the day we hit DTD. I also prefer to shop outside the parks. We never went beyond Marketplace anyway and to me there's still plenty there. I like Basin, Art of Disney, Pin Traders, Days of Christmas, Goofy's Candy Co., Lego Store, Once Upon a Toy, & World of Disney. Yes, I may be able to find much of the merchandise I want outside of DTD, but at DTD it's all in one location and I don't have to go searching every pin stand I see for a baby's 1st trip pin.

Laughin' place
07-17-2009, 01:40 PM
For me, its atmosphere and a place away from the parks to still be in the magic. World of Disney, scrapbooking shop, lego and especially the Christmas shop are "musts". Id love to go there tonight, for an evening walk and a look at the lights on the water...:cloud9:

Disney_Barbie
07-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Pleasure Island was an unnecessary part of a what was supposed to be a FULLY kid friendly park.

But by those reasonings, should we remove all "non-kid" items fromt he parks? No rides with any sort of hight requirements? No acoholic beverages of any kind on property? No Jelly Rolls? No R-rated movies @ AMC?

If disney was 100% geared only towards children, it would be legoland. Instead disney is aimed towards people of all ages & as a couple in our 20's P.I. was a huge enhancement to our vacation experience

Phantod
07-17-2009, 05:57 PM
I don't see how so. Pleasure Island was an unnecessary part of a what was supposed to be a FULLY kid friendly park. Heck, just to get to the World of Disney store when I was 11, my mother had to put her hands over my eyes. Seriously, I always found Pleasure Island to be a rather ridiculous idea in the first place. And, if they were going to do it, make it in an exclusive section where no kids are allowed. I'm very glad they made it a worry-free walkway.

Thanks Disney-Barbie, I was thinking the same thing. Lakin seems to be fairly young, so I'll try to be kind. So I guess the Epcot Food and Wine Festival should be done away with as well...since kids can't drink. You need to remember that WDW is still a profit center. If all that ever went there were kids, they'd be out of business pretty quickly. If "adults" couldn't have fun that they like to have, then, they wouldn't be taking their kids every year.

What was your mother taking you thru the area at 11 if you and she were offended? Have you ever been to a shopping mall? I don't know about where you live, but I find more offensive clothing on young people there than I ever saw at PI. And there's a path way around it. So why weren't you taking it? When the West Side was first put in, you couldn't even walk thru PI.

Also I'm offended by your term "ridiculous". Ridiculous to you? So we all need to bend to your wishes and thoughts and ideas? If you are this sheltered, you're going to be very frustrated in the real world where not everything goes your way.

Did you ever go to CW or AC? It may not be your personal taste, but there are a LOT of people who got a kick out of it. How many other times have you seen petitions sent to Disney to save something?

And if you had ever gone to AC, you would have seen that it was Disneyfied (is that a word?). Sure there was alcohol, but you need not drink. There was never any pressure to do so. It was a change for people, kids and adults to get into the spirit of a fun evening and laugh and relax, without the craziness of the parks.

Did we go every night? No, but over 8 nights we'd go 3 and 4 times, and no, it wasn't ridiculous, nor are my DW and I, thank you very much.

Aurora
07-17-2009, 07:06 PM
It always seemed to me that what ruined Pleasure Island was the West Side. The Marketplace was always a draw for us when it existed all by itself, and even when they put in Pleasure Island it didn't change the atmosphere of the rest of the area because it was a ticketed gate, and people who were going to go there stayed there 'cause they paid for it.

When the West Side was put in, there was something to do for adults without them having to pay for Pleasure Island. Then when they opened up the area, it just made for a bad mix all around, IMHO.

I frankly have no desire to go to the West Side ever again. And now that PI is undergoing some sort of transformation I'll have to wait and see about that too.

I'll always visit the Marketplace, though. (Especially since it sits across the water from our "home" resort!)

nicster
07-17-2009, 10:23 PM
What was your mother taking you thru the area at 11 if you and she were offended? Have you ever been to a shopping mall? I don't know about where you live, but I find more offensive clothing on young people there than I ever saw at PI. And there's a path way around it. So why weren't you taking it? When the West Side was first put in, you couldn't even walk thru PI.

Also I'm offended by your term "ridiculous". Ridiculous to you? So we all need to bend to your wishes and thoughts and ideas? If you are this sheltered, you're going to be very frustrated in the real world where not everything goes your way.

Did we go every night? No, but over 8 nights we'd go 3 and 4 times, and no, it wasn't ridiculous, nor are my DW and I, thank you very much.
:ditto:

SurferStitch
07-27-2009, 09:05 PM
We've visited the West Side on each trip, but don't really care much for it.

I love to shop, so the Marketplace is fabulous for me. I love to buy art, Christmas ornaments/decorations, and anything in WoD. We also love Ghirardelli's, The T-Rex and Rainforest Cafes, and Fulton's.

BUT...

We REALLY miss PI. We spent at least 4-5 nights per trip at AC. Neither my DH or I are drinkers, but we still loved AC. You don't need to be a drinker to truly enjoy PI. It's such a shame that it's gone. It was so depressing to see the AC sitting empty the last time we were there. Broke my heart. :(

nicster
07-27-2009, 09:27 PM
We REALLY miss PI. We spent at least 4-5 nights per trip at AC. Neither my DH or I are drinkers, but we still loved AC. You don't need to be a drinker to truly enjoy PI. It's such a shame that it's gone. It was so depressing to see the AC sitting empty the last time we were there. Broke my heart. :(
another :ditto:for me ... heart broken:sob:

DizneyRox
07-28-2009, 06:55 AM
You may have hinted at part of the problem. No drinks! Drinks are whre clubs make their money. No drinks means all sorts of admin costs (rent, salary, etc) with no revenue. When expenses exceed revenue, you're not making any money.

SurferStitch
07-28-2009, 09:36 PM
You may have hinted at part of the problem. No drinks! Drinks are whre clubs make their money. No drinks means all sorts of admin costs (rent, salary, etc) with no revenue. When expenses exceed revenue, you're not making any money.

Oh, don't get me wrong...we each had a drink or two during the evening, but we didn't go there to DRINK.

I consider a "drinker" to be someone who goes out strictly to "drink" (more than a couple drinks to feel good).

But, that's where the cover charge comes in. It covers a couple drinks on top of the 2 drinks per person we would purchase. So, even if we didn't order drinks, they still got something from us.

Also, if I wasn't in the mood for another alcoholic drink, I'd order soda. I always had to be sipping something, or else the air conditioning really dried me out.

allentownguy
07-31-2009, 12:51 AM
i make my twice yearly pilgrimage to disney once with the kids and once as the anniversary P.I was our mecca! when it was gated, one price for all the clubs, even the locals loved it. it was packed every night of the week.
then some rocket scientist thought it would be a good idea if you would let kids walk in if you were with a adult , big mistake! kids + booze = not a good mix. you would see 1 adult with 3 or 4 teenage kids, when the place was packed you would always see kids outside sneaking drinks. they lost the local crowd, switched to a pay per club system. they even lost people on employee night because of the new kid policy and that was a spot were the employees could enjoy themselves on their night of with great discounts.
RIP PLEASURE ISLAND:fit:

Mackflava99
07-31-2009, 09:05 AM
In late june i was there and it was sooooo packed that they closed the parking lot to new cars- so i am not sure the popularity has subsided.

I was told someone is moving into the virgin mega store soon, not sure who-

But besides LaNuba and DQ, there is always Candy Cauldren and the magic shop and the cigar store. so west side isnt too bad.

we had a fun time there this year.

Belster
07-31-2009, 09:13 AM
I love to shop and I love WDW...so that means I love DTD. Where else can I go and have a world of shops devoted to my favorite place on Earth???

Love It:number1:

coneygoil
07-31-2009, 09:15 AM
I was sad when PI closed since it has been such a part of Disney for many years. But I never really used PI. I didn't turn 21 until six years ago and my folks were never interesting in going. So we never used PI. I adore the Marketplace! I have about five favorite shops, especially the Christmas shop. So it's always worth a trip.

Meteora
07-31-2009, 11:34 AM
We still really like DTD. We love taking a lunch break from the parks and going to Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express--for our money, two of the best dining options in the world at great prices. We also love grabbing a post-park ice cream at night in Ghirardelli...cookie bottom sundae, yum. Finally, we like the AMC theaters. We don't do the parks every day...at this point we can finish in three days or so. We enjoy having an off-day to see a movie as a family in very comfortable seats and rest our weary legs. We also like the lego store, world of Disney, Pooh Corner, and the store with Mickey themed kitchenware. Still a must-do for us.

However, if you're looking for more sit-down restaurant type places and PI like things, I can see why you'd be let down. I do, however, highly recommend trying WPE as a dining option next time you're there--I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

As for PI, I honestly can't remember what was so outwardly objectionable...at least, during the day. I know my parents used to walk through with me, and the most scandalous thing I can remember seeing is Jessica Rabbit. And I had already seen that movie, so... ;)

brian2000boston
09-14-2009, 09:27 PM
For all that say "I can shop at home if I want to" I have to agree with you that you are correct. However, I can go to clubs at home too, so what the difference, Disney's bread and butter is family driven. If you want clubs, go to Cancun. :thedolls:

Seasonscraps
09-14-2009, 10:19 PM
For all that say "I can shop at home if I want to" I have to agree with you that you are correct. However, I can go to clubs at home too, so what the difference, Disney's bread and butter is family driven. If you want clubs, go to Cancun. :thedolls:

But there are stores there for people who want to shop. Why can't there be a club or lounge for just adults? I mean there are honeymooners and retirees and people like myself that don't have children who go to Disney World. I enjoy the resorts and the parks, the parades, the fireworks, the restaurants, walking around the shops and seeing all the kids dressed up all excited to be in the MK but since I want to have a drink without a 9 year old in the same room I should go to Mexico?

If it's not what you (general you - not specifically you Brian) want to do, then don't. I don't care for Toon Town so I skip it, I don't think it should be torn down. I just really don't understand the attitude/sentiment that adults shouldn't be able enjoy having an adult evening on a Disney Vacation.

Phantod
09-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Well, all of that is true. But you can also go on rides at the local state fair or county fairs as well. So we might as well not go to WDW at all? We never frequented the dance clubs at PI, but we did go to Adventurer's Club on a regular basis when we were at the world. And while we are not big club people, I've never seen another like that....even in Cancun. :)

Ian
09-15-2009, 08:29 AM
PI was designed as a gated nighttime attraction for adults not a walkway that children were suppose to walk through. It wasn't until later when the Westside was built that they decided to open it up a walkway to the Westside which wasn't getting much business. The Disney Management at the time mistakenly blame lack of access saying PI was the reason. The removed the turnstiles to allow the flow of traffic and all the problems started. Until the gates were removed PI was rather successful.Jeff has it basically exactly right. When PI started and they charged admission it was actually a really nice place to hang out. But once they did away with that and opened it up to everyone, the shady element moved in and it got pretty nasty for a Disney theme park.

I'm kinda glad they did away with it.

redleg96
09-15-2009, 09:09 AM
In late june i was there and it was sooooo packed that they closed the parking lot to new cars- so i am not sure the popularity has subsided.

I was told someone is moving into the virgin mega store soon, not sure who-

But besides LaNuba and DQ, there is always Candy Cauldren and the magic shop and the cigar store. so west side isnt too bad.

we had a fun time there this year.

Where's the cigar store?

Darbylew
09-15-2009, 09:16 AM
We never miss going to DTD. We love to go
and eat at Wolf Gang Puck's express. We enjoy
Ghirardelli and the World of Disney. We like the
shops in the Marketplace area. We ususally go
to DTD the first night we are there. We drive
to WDW so we get there late in the day and we
go after we check in our resort. :thumbsup:

jillluvsdisney
09-15-2009, 10:07 AM
We always go to DTD a few times during out trips. I love browsing/shopping at the Art of Disney, Twelve Days of Christmas, WOD, Basin.
I love looking at the lLgo sculptures and getting ice cream at Ghiardelli's. We've had lunch many times at Earl of Sandwich too. We are going to La Nouba on our upcoming trip and are eating at Raglan Road. We also have tickets to the Gospel Brunch at HOB.:thumbsup::number1:

Daisy'sMom
09-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Jeff has it basically exactly right. When PI started and they charged admission it was actually a really nice place to hang out. But once they did away with that and opened it up to everyone, the shady element moved in and it got pretty nasty for a Disney theme park.

I agree with you 100%. The last time we ventured over to PI and saw the element that was there, we turned and left.
Give me DTD Marketplace, I don't need a place to go clubbing.

NJGIRL
09-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I do miss the PI that used to be when admission was charged. The clubs were alot of fun and it was a nice way to spend the night.
We would leave our son with our friends one night then watch their kids for them the next night. I do really miss the Adventurers Club.

As far as DTD we still make one stop there every trip. Between the shops (especially the Lego store for my son) and the restaurants we stay busy for a couple of hours. I do wish that they would do something interesting with that big gap that used to be PI because it just seems like such a waste of prime space.

Hammer
09-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Glad that some of you did not like PI, but some of us liked having a place to go out and dance or see a comedy show after the parks.

It was perfectly fine when it was a separate admission and wished they had gone back to that and found a way to put in a path for people to use to go to the West Side.

Ian
09-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Glad that some of you did not like PI, but some of us liked having a place to go out and dance or see a comedy show after the parks.

It was perfectly fine when it was a separate admission and wished they had gone back to that and found a way to put in a path for people to use to go to the West Side.Yeah, I should probably clarify my earlier comments, because I actually agree more with you, Christine, than it might appear.

What I should have said is that I'm glad PI is gone if they weren't going to go back to the old admission-based model.

I, for one, loved the Adventurer's Club and I miss it dearly. We had some amazing times at PI with the INTERCOT crew and our meets will definitely not be the same without the ability to make fools of ourselves at 8 Trax. ;)

That being said, though, since Disney does not appear to have even considered going back to the admission-based PI, I think the second best option was to shut it down. When you have a situation where there are literally gang fights and kids with guns wandering around on Disney property, that's something that has to be stopped.

I do wish, though, that they could have somehow saved the Adventurer's Club. :(

Imagineer1981
09-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Jeff has it basically exactly right. When PI started and they charged admission it was actually a really nice place to hang out. But once they did away with that and opened it up to everyone, the shady element moved in and it got pretty nasty for a Disney theme park.

PI was a lot of fun, and it kept Adult guests from going to the city of Orlando for night time entertainment, it kept them on property. In its hayday, it was always packed and tons and tons of locals and CMs went all the time, they were free on certain nights too. PI had unique clubs like the Adventures Club and the Comedy Warehouse was great. The West Side also was a nice addition but favored more the locals and CMs (we used to go to the AMC all the time) then guests. I still believe if they would have built the West Side on the East side, PI would still be open. Instead of PI being stuck in the middle, it would have been left alone.

On another note, if the College Program CMs weren't getting drunk all the time and missing their shifts, they wouldn't have done away with the CMs get in free at PI either, and the clubs would still have been packed.

Seasonscraps
09-17-2009, 02:28 PM
I still believe if they would have built the West Side on the East side, PI would still be open. Instead of PI being stuck in the middle, it would have been left alone.

I agree with you. The West Side always felt so isolated from the rest of DTD. I really miss the original PI when you had to pay to get in, NYE every night, live music in the "street". It was so much fun!!

Phantod
09-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Ian, so I guess it'll be alright if I wear my "Return our Adventurer's Club" t-shirt next week.....waaaaaahhhhh.:crying:

Ian
09-17-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree with you. The West Side always felt so isolated from the rest of DTD. I really miss the original PI when you had to pay to get in, NYE every night, live music in the "street". It was so much fun!!I agree, too. Building the West Side where they did was the beginning of the end for PI.

Ian, so I guess it'll be alright if I wear my "Return our Adventurer's Club" t-shirt next week.....waaaaaahhhhh.:crying:Yep. If I had one, I'd wear it too!