PDA

View Full Version : Is it True That........?

Arielfan98
07-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Ok so I've heard from my dad and sister before that WDW was opened for this family at night time because the children had an allergy to the sun. Is this true? Were they pulling my leg or is this real?

I mean I guess it could be possible that someone could be allergic to the sun, but before I was told about this I never really knew there was such thing as an allergy to the sun.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

TinkerBellBebe
07-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes that is true. They have a genetic disorder called xeroderma pigmentosa which prevents the repair of DNA that has been damaged by UV sunlight. I teach high school biology and we talked about the same story.

Lakin
07-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Ok so I've heard from my dad and sister before that WDW was opened for this family at night time because the children had an allergy to the sun. Is this true? Were they pulling my leg or is this real?

I mean I guess it could be possible that someone could be allergic to the sun, but before I was told about this I never really knew there was such thing as an allergy to the sun.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Actually, it is true! For proof, go back and look for episodes of Extreme Makeover Home Edition. For the vacation while they were doing the house, they let the family go to Disney World at night since a couple of the kids were allergic to the sun.

Marilyn Michetti
07-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Actually, it was a lot of kids. If I remember, a whole plane load of children flew down, and Disney opened the MK for them all night. That was a neat special.:thumbsup:

Lakin
07-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Oh, well they might have done it on different occasions because I only saw a few kids go. :)

crazypoohbear
07-21-2009, 11:43 PM
I remember YEARS ago watching an after school special/hallmark/sunday night movie about children with this illness. One scene the police pulled over the father because the van had black out windows and the cop heard noises in the back of the van and thought the guy had kidnapped children. The dad pleaded with the cop to not open the door.
It was based on a true story.
I'm glad that Disney did that for them.
Maybe they could make it a once a year thing where all the kids with this illness can go to disney at night and then they wouldn't feel so "different" Kind of like a camp sunshine at disney