PDA

View Full Version : What is it like renting a car in Disney??

EmmMOM2
07-01-2009, 05:41 PM
My family has always used the Disney transportation (buses, boats) and have never had a problem getting to where we are going.
What are the Pros/Cons of having a rental car?
I would think it would be a pain to park in the parking lots and WALK all the way to the entrance, no? They are SOO cheap and we have a discount so i'm just wondering what peoples take on the pro/cons are.
I suppose one con for me could be that i would need 2 rental car seats...rental car seats kind of scare me...never know if they've been in accidents etc..
Thanks in advance!!

faline
07-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I hardly ever rent a car at Disney. On a couple of occasions, we've had a split trip (between that other park that remains unnamed) and Disney along with a couple of other off-site trips. However, when we were on Disney property, we essentially parked the vehicle and did not use it for transportation on Disney property.

A couple of other times, we rented a car for only a day to visit off-site places such as Sea World.

Even when we've driven to Disney, we've parked the car and used Disney transportation. I do remember using the car a few times - usually when we headed to Downtown Disney.

badkitty
07-01-2009, 10:48 PM
We usually rent a car because we enjoy the freedom of coming and going as we please. We can go off-site for shopping etc. I also hate waiting for the crowded bus at the end of the day and the walk to the car isn't that bad (the walk to the EPCOT buses seems further). I guess it just depends on your preferences.

disneyboundagain
07-01-2009, 11:05 PM
We wouldn't dream of NOT having a car while we are there. Since you have 2 car seats, I assume you will also have at least one stroller? Strollers on the bus are a real pain. The freedom to come and go as you please is awesome. Not waiting in lines for transportation is also a real benefit. If you plan on eating at any of the resorts, it will be much easier, quicker, and more relaxing in your own vehicle.

As for the car seats, we rented two last year. They were surprisingly clean. I was worried myself, but everything worked out fine.

Tink#64
07-01-2009, 11:39 PM
We have never rented a car at WDW for use at WDW but we have rented for a few days at the end of the trip to drive to the beach. I believe it was Alamo, there on WDW property, and the rental process was super easy & no problems at all. Of course I had made all of the arrangements prior to the trip.

We drove to WDW for the 1st time last year, and for the 1st couple of days we had to stay offsite, and drive ourselves. :ack: This was a very last minute trip during Spring Break, and we were definitely spoiled to staying on property & using the WDW transpo! I hated trying to figure out the lay of the land and navigate through all of the traffic and returning to the hot car at the end of the day! We were so happy when we finally got to check in at Pop & park our van & hop on the WDW bus & let them drive us around! For me, that's when it felt like our vacation actually began! But I'm sure everyone has their personal preferences and personal experiences really plays into the situation. We've never experienced a problem with any of the WDW transpo & really like just sitting back & leting them do the work! :cloud9:

jnfr2424
07-02-2009, 12:26 AM
I always rent a convertible when in Florida and I try to rent from a agent that is at the airport less headaches. The freedom to go around especially to Downtown Disney. For the parks I just use Disney transportation. In Epcot the parking lot is FAR!!!

doombuggygal
07-02-2009, 01:29 AM
We always rent a car from the airport. We have never used Disney bussing so it may be great but I like to be able to go where I want to go when I want to. I'm always neverous I be stuck waiting. Also we do a lot of resort dining and it sounds so complicated to get on the bus to go to that bus etc,etc. Also if I happen to need something I don't want to be stuck paying $20 for a box of band aids or a gallon of milk. We also like to hit the Orlando Outlets.:car:

doombuggygal
07-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Also check with your airline but I'm pretty sure that most if not all will let you check a carseat for free.

gueli
07-02-2009, 03:10 AM
On the first few trips we took, a rental car was necessary. We have relatives that live in fla. and visited them. Then we would drive to disney.
as previous posters say - freedom.
But freedom always comes with a price- you have to navigate & drive (no :beer::marg:).
The trams aren't bad- so you dont have to walk to timbucktoo to get your car (but rememer where you parked- someow I have never forgotten where I left the bus :D)
You also will stop, possibly in lines to go through the gates (you get free parking if you stay onsite).
Carry as much as you want- you have someplace to put it (strollers,etc).
The freedom to eat out of disney. To visit kissimee and all the cool stuff that has popped up along 192.
the freedom of sitting in traffic (possibly).

The last few trips - no rented cars (just disney). Their transport. They drive .:marg::beer: i can drink if i want.
The freedom to wait in lines.
The freedom to strike up conversations with other guests.

Either way your at DISNEY so its all good, right .
Oh PS - low advertised rates - + lots of fees (you want insurance with that right) - remember these are mostly teasers designed to get you in the door so they can sell,sell,sell. :mickey:

Good luck.

MinnieMommie
07-02-2009, 06:40 AM
We fly to Disney and sometimes rent a car at the airport. Since ME DH prefers to use the free transportation but I really prefer the car rental. On our last 2 trips we rented a car at the airport. Depending on what we are doing and where we are going we either drive or use Disney transportation. For instance, if we are at BC we walk into Epcot or take a boat into HS but drive to DD.
It is not a problem at all driving to the parks and parking there. You walk to the end of the row you parked in and a tram picks you up and drives you to the opening of the park with a reverse process on the way back to your car. Quick and easy. Never had any issue with parking and getting into the parks. :mickey:

Jeri Lynn
07-02-2009, 06:41 AM
We rented a car twice, basically becasue we flew into Tampa first to visit with my parents.

the first time we kept the car for the week and it stayed in the parking lot the entire time, we only used it to get to the airport...

The second time we used it to get there from Tampa, dropped it off right away and to the ME back to the airport.

Disney Doll
07-02-2009, 09:38 AM
We never rented a car until we brought along my mother who uses a scooter. Now, we consider a car a necessity with our toddler. It's so nice to be able to sit comfortably and have a place to put the diaper bag and stroller without having to juggle all of those items in route. We bring our car seat from home and it's not really that much trouble. If you use one on the plane you're going to have it anyway and if you don't you can just check it with your luggage. We bought a car seat bag with a nice shoulder strap which makes carrying it a breeze. The one thing I was worried about was the stress of driving in traffic and trying to find our way around unfamiliar territory, but we brought along a GPS and it was no problem. The only con I think is driving to MK since you have to park at the Ticket and Trans Center and then monorail or boat across the lagoon. For MK it is probably quicker to take a bus where you are dropped off right at the entrance, but it's so much more relaxing to have your own vehicle. People debate the time savings and to me it's not about time. I'd rather relax and be comfortable than to stand in a bus line any day even if it takes the same amount of time in the end.

Disney Doll
07-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Also check with your airline but I'm pretty sure that most if not all will let you check a carseat for free.

When we flew with SW we didn't pay any extra to check a car seat. They allow 2 checked bags per ticketed passenger and we were within that limit even with the car seat.

MarkC
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
We've always rented a car and probably always will. You don't have to use it for going to the parks and can still use the Disney busses. However, we sometimes will go off property for a Taco Bell or McDonalds fix, or run to Target to get some cheap breakfast food, etc. It's also nice to have it for a quick trip to Downtown Disney or the water parks. If you drive to DS or Epcot later in the evening a lot of people have left and you can park fairly close to the front. Then you don't have to wait for busses after watching Fantasmic or Illuminations. So while I don't think a car is necessary, if you can afford it they are very handy to have available. Mark

HoosierDisneyFan
07-04-2009, 10:50 PM
If you are staying at a Disney resort, I would suggest not renting a car and using Magical Express and the rest of Disney Transportation system. Of course if you are planning any "off World" visits a rental car is needed.

You will read many complaints about Disney Bus system but I believe it is very good. it is true that there will be times the bus is later than desired, but they will also be times the bus is waiting on you when you get there. It has been my expirence that by the time you get to your car (walking / monorail / boat), fight traffic, get lost a time or two, the bus system would have you back to your hotel.

Besides your on vacation, let someone handle the driving... :thumbsup:

Polynesian Dweller
07-04-2009, 11:03 PM
We are in the group that would never do without a rental car. The parking lots are in no way a hassle. Park your car, hop on the shuttle and you're at the entrance. No extra parking fee either.

The real thing for us is the incredible freedom it gives us. We always do things like drive to AK and do some rides, drive to DHS and do some rides, go to DTD and do some shopping, head back to either AK or DHS for our late day FP times (always seem to be some like that), then back to the Poly and head to Epcot or MK for dinner and the evening. All in one day. SImple to do by car, virtually impossible by bus.

wire0monkey
07-05-2009, 09:37 AM
We always rent a car.

Parking is not a problem. It's not a very far walk, and if you don't want to walk, you can ride the tram from your parking area to the entrance.

I make reservations for meals all over WDW and it's not possible to make all those meals without a car.

We have smalls kids and I'm not waiting for crowded buses at the end of the day.

Speedy1998
07-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I rented a car once. It ended up spending the week in the hotel parking lot. As do my own cars when I drive.

clou1028
07-05-2009, 11:55 AM
We first rented a car on our 2003 trip. Since then, I don't think we would ever not rent a car. It's so nice to come and go as you please and not have to wait for the bus. We also like to visit other resorts, and go off property to go out to eat and such.

If you are staying at a Disney resort, parking is free at all the parks.

epceddie
07-05-2009, 02:03 PM
We love the freedom of being able to jump in the car and go wherever we want. We like eating at some restaurants offsite and the car really comes in handy for trips to the food market and Rite Aid.
We wait in enough lines at the parks and really don't want to have to spend more time waiting for a bus.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Most of the time we rent a car. Sometimes we hardly ever drive it but there have been other times I'm too impatient to wait for the bus. It comes in very handy for driving to the grocery store, that other park, taking a sight seeing ride up IDrive and going to the outlet store. It also comes in very handy if you are doing ADRs at different parks; you can get there so much quicker. And I usually would drive to DTD to carry back all the stuff I would buy.

But last trip we didn't rent a car, we use ME and just stayed on property and had water delivered. And my friend who was there at the same time was kind enough to pick me up some Pepsi because she did have a rental.

E-Ticket4
07-06-2009, 03:50 PM
We love the freedom of a rental car as well and have always rented one. This year due to cost is the first time we are really considering ME and busses. I find the peace and quiet of my own transportation at the end of the day relaxing

Ian
07-06-2009, 04:00 PM
We rent a car every time we go and would never consider relying on the highly unreliable Disney transport system.

I've timed it on numerous occasions and not one time have I been able to make it from place to place on Disney transport faster than someone in a car.

As far as walking goes ... all the parking lots of trams. There's very minimal walking involved. Certainly no more than having to walk out to the bus stop (and possibly stand on the bus the entire time).

mudpuppysmom
07-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I am a car person, plain and simple. DH likes to have a car b/c of several of the above mentioned freedoms.

Another reason we rent is that we usually stay at SOG and they don't have a shuttle for free -- and by the time you pay for a shuttle round trip it's really not that much more expensive to have a car for the entire week at your disposal!

We also like to go offsite to eat and do a little grocery shopping as well as outlet shop at the disney outlet!

We have family in Daytona and sometimes we go visit them and sometimes they come over and visit with us and we all like to go out for dinner without having an ADR!

Someone else said it......it's your preference, yes it adds to the cost of your vacation, but at the end of the day only you can decide if the car outweighs waiting in lines for buses and not being able to go offiste.

DigitalDaredevil
07-09-2009, 06:56 AM
If I fly down, then we rent a car. Usually a mid-size, Chevy Malibu or Impala. We like to use Alamo as they are affiliated with Disney and I find good deals with coupons for them. Their prices seem pretty good from what I have seen. They are easy to rent from too. Not much of a wait on the bottom floor at MCO. If you have reservations already, the kiosks are pretty quick and simple. A lot of people do not use them so you can jump ahead and get in and out quickly.
To get your car you leave the airport doors, cross the roadway, go up a floor and there are the cars. You pick the one you want and check out as you leave the gate. Pretty easy.
It's also convenient when you are leaving for home. Just leave the car at the garage which is right at the airport's doors.
I like the freedom to drive around when I want, and where I want. I would not enjoy using the busses on a busy week, or waiting for them.
Most resorts/hotels have shuttles that take you to the parks in the area so you don't have to have a car.
I find it cost effective just to be able to go to a real grocery store and buy breakfast and lunch food instead of spending it all in the parks/resorts.

Gusgus
07-09-2009, 02:36 PM
The more often we go, the more we experience by "let's do something we haven't done before". That often has us going to other resorts i.e. places to eat. About 1/3rd of our dining reservations are at resorts.

- If you like to go to other resorts (i.e. to eat dinner at) especially OFTEN it's a pain to get there. Take a bus from your resort to a park then wait for a bus to get to the other resort then do it in reverse to get home.

- DTD busses always seem to take forever at any resort we have stayed at especially going back to the resort late at night.

- To me it seems getting to and from water parks is easier with a car.

- To me it seems getting to and from miniture golf is easier with a car.

- We always go off site for a day i.e. Kennedy Space Center

- Easy to get groceries and stuff

- Almost always use the car to AK

- Only use the car to Hollwood studios or Epcot if we are sure when and if we park hop we will end up back at the car

- We rarely use the car to MK. Waiting for the tram and then waiting \ riding the ferry or monorail takes longer than a bus IMO.

- TYPICALLY get us to the WDW quicker and we can stay longer at the parks before heading to the airport as compared to Magical Express.

- Adds cost (duh) to the trip

- If we didn't go to DTD, and other resorts often we wouldn't rent a car for the entire trip.

Gusgus

DVC2004
07-09-2009, 03:26 PM
We rent a car every trip. Since we do alot of dining at the resort hotels, it is easier for us. My kids are older however so we don't have the carseat issue. Now if we stay at the Poly we won't take the car to MK or Epcot. However if we stay at SSR or non-monorail resorts we take the car everywhere. We also dislike waiting for the bus so the car let's us leave when we want to.

The cons- yes the parking and taking trams and remembering where you parked.

joonyer
07-09-2009, 06:39 PM
We always drive to WDW, so we have a car there. And it it nice for going off-site to eat, shop or to other theme parks. But most of the time we use Disney transportation to get to the parks and back. Only rarley wwill we drive to a park or other resort for an early ADR. etc. But we don't have to contend with strollers., etc. so that makes it easier to use the buses. I have timed it going to and from the parks driving vs. using the buses, and although there are many variables, it usually takes us only 5-10 minutes longer when using the buses. we think it;s less hassle for us, and I let Disney burn their fuel, since we're paying for it anyway. Sometimes it takes even less time to ride the buses, particularly at MK where it takes a long time to get to/from the the parking lot to/from the park entrance.

Seasonscraps
07-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I love the freedom and comfort of having our own car. We are on our own schedule. No crowded buses. No standing on buses. ADRs at other resorts don't require taking two buses and usually takes less then 20 minutes.

We dine off property and do some grocery shopping for drinks & snacks to keep in the room. We don't have to leave really over 2 and half hours early for the airport on DME.

The signage on property is excellent so we have never been lost. The drive to/from the airport is pretty direct.

caryrae
07-11-2009, 09:58 AM
We always rent a car too. Mostly because we always do stuff outside of WDW every trip like drive to the Ocean, go to Universal and/or Sea World ect. We have never had a problem getting around tons of signs to get you to were you need to go and parking is always easy. Also we usaually forget something, so having a car makes it easy to hit a Wal-mart (in case I forget my Jorts) or Publix.

It's probably a toss up between just using Disney transportation or getting a rental car. Just depends on what and where you want to go on vacation.