PDA

View Full Version : Flying vs. Driving

edhunter28
06-29-2009, 07:21 PM
On my last trip I was wondering which was better
driving to disney or flying.The good things about flying is that you get there fast which means you get to do more things however it is tiring to get up early to get through flight check & security.
Driving is longer but less tiring & there really isn't any chaos as long as you have a t.v.
overall I think that driving is better for a more relaxing trip.
let me know what you think is better

DVC2004
06-29-2009, 07:35 PM
I guess it would partly depend on how far you are. We live in IL, it takes about 21 hours to drive to WDW or 2 hours and 15 minutes on the plane. We have driven 2 times and flown the rest (probably 15 times). Since I can usually find airfare round trip for 4 for $700 or less, I would just prefer to go through security, fly and get there. The 2nd (and last time) we drove, we were rear-ended in the highway. Then, my husband got a speeding ticket the following day. I said never again and now we fly.

Jimenyfan
06-29-2009, 07:39 PM
We drive from South Carolina. Our trip is about 8 1/2 hours but we love the convenience of having our car with us.

PiratesCove
06-29-2009, 07:44 PM
We drive, it's about 18 hrs for us. We go part way which is Birmingham, AL and drive in the 2nd day. We enjoy it...maybe we're weird? :blush:

Twinkletoes77705
06-29-2009, 07:46 PM
We have flown every time and this time we are actually going to drive. We will save around$900 and to me...I would rather go more often and drive. I too HATE the whole thing of flying. We went to Vegas a few months ago and the flight was so bad my husband said he would NEVER fly again. BAD weather...go figure. However, he will get over it...but we just want to try something new! I am excited. We live in Texas so it is not too far anyway! :thumbsup:

faline
06-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Early on, we drove to Disney a number of times. However, we are WAY up here in New England and it is a VERY long drive to Disney World. We have driven straight through - very tiring even with two drivers and we have overnighted in a hotel along the way.

Overall, I much prefer flying.

When you consider costs, make sure you consider ALL the costs of driving. For us, driving includes wear and tear on our car and adding more than 3,000 miles round trip. It also means paying for five meals on the road (if we leave at 4:00 a.m. and drive through to the next day before arrival), a night in a hotel or motel along the way, and two days of vacation time each way for a total of 4 days used up without really enjoying it.

Additionally, we've driven through tropical storms, snow and grid-locked traffic. We've slept in rest areas (no longer recommended for sure!) and have arrived at Disney World and at home tired from the very long drives.

Yes, flying can be stressful and, in the extreme, can mean long delays and unpleasant travel. However, overall, when travel works, it is far more relaxing. I board a plane and 4-5 hours later, I'm in Disney World.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-29-2009, 08:23 PM
We've driven to Disney a bunch of times, and taken the auto-train the last two times.

I HATE to fly, so driving is the best option for us, but if I didn't hate flying we would fly.

Like Faline said, there are so many "hidden" costs to driving, that's why we started taking the train. The wear and tear on the car was crazy, the hotel fees, meals, etc, it was still costing quite a bit to get to Disney. We were also arriving super-tired and worn-out, not a good way to start a trip.

I would expect that the cost of flying and driving aren't that different, and we LOVE the train. :train:

Live4WDW
06-29-2009, 08:31 PM
:mickey: I must drive, as I don't care to fly. Nowadays, it seems like hurry up fight the crowds, Pay for everything including things that used to be free (sodas, snacks etc) on the airplane. Hurry, board the plane and sit on the runway for 7hrs. No thank you. I would rather sit in my car for 10 hrs, cruising along and stretch my legs when needed, and arrive at WDW. Also like having the car with me.:D

chefmickey3
06-29-2009, 08:32 PM
For us (from Philly) I would answer driving every time unless we had the opportunity to go for a long weekend. I love to be able to pack cases of water and Gatorade (and save the cost of the hotel room on liquids alone!) We also control the pace and what we can pack and not pack. I don't think I could do the weight limit anymore. We have three kids. Driving works for us!

divinedi
06-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Actually, I'm a bit of an odd duck, I like to drive down, takes two days, one overnight stay, but would prefer to fly back, which is kind of difficult to do, or costly if you wanted to rent a car and leave it in Florida!! I can handle the drive down, and kind of like it, one is excited to get there etc. But driving back home is just depressing.......so flying then would be good.

cal5755
06-29-2009, 09:19 PM
First of all :welcome: to intercot :mickey:

just to let everyone here know edhunter28 is my son and my oldest :0)

I have to say I agree with driving... it is a 17 hour drive for us... we did half one day, slept and half the next day. As far as hidden costs we cut down on that A LOT by packing a cooler and stopped for picnics along the way. No eating out while on the road. We brought fresh bagels and donuts as well as breakfast bars etc. and of course bread, peanut butter and jelly. The kids love picnics and it saved us money and let us stretch our legs etc. For us it was not only less tiring but a huge money saver to drive.... there were 7 of us... the trip there and back with gas etc was around what it would have cost for 3 flight tickets from philly.

We loved taking our time compared to the rush of the airport and the hurry up and wait and the pure exhaustion flying brings... So I am another vote for driving.

gerald72
06-29-2009, 09:22 PM
I live in central PA and prefer to drive.
I leave when I want, get there when I want, and have a car when I am there if I want it.
It costs about $200 for gas each way. We stop about three times for gas, bathroom break, stretching, and dollar menu and fastfood place.
In 17 hours, we arrive at WDW.
I don't worry about wear and tear on the car, that's what cars are for.

joonyer
06-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Two most important factors: distance (driving time) and cost - $$$. If you are within 12 hours drive or less, you can make it in one day (no hotel cost on the way), and it is much, much less costly than flying, especially if you have more than 2 in your travel party. Flying is certainly much more convenient (less than 3 hours from Chicago!) but you pay a lot of $$$ for that convenience.

For us, the decision is easy. We are only 5 hours drive time away, and the 4 of us can get there, including food on the road and incidental costs, for less than one person's airfare. Not to mention that for us to fly, it would actually take us longer. we live in Middle Ga, would have to drive 1.5 hours north to ATL, have to arrive 1.5 hours before flight time to get through security (that's 3 hours already and we're still on the ground in ATL) then 1 hour flying to MCO, wait to get off plane, get to DME bus, drive to resort and by all that time we're already checked in by driving ourselves.

But if we lived more than a day's drive away, I'd save my money to fly.

Maleficent_vf
06-29-2009, 10:08 PM
I grew up in a family that went on car trips just about every summer, so traveling by car is no big deal - DB and I got used to entertaining ourselves in the backseat long before in car DVD players and such. When we travel with my DB and SiL, driving is out of the question because SiL just can't stand to be cooped up that long.

My parents and I have driven the last two trips to WDW. The trip is 18-19 hours, which we stretch over two days. Given the time, I prefer the drive (though I have yet to actually do any of the driving, but the driver [DF] says he doesn't mind.) I'd love to have the time to stop and sightsee along the way, but so far, we (I :D) haven't been willing to give up time at WDW! :thumbsup:

While the flight itself takes less time (2.5 hours if direct), it is more expensive and more of a hassle with getting to the airport, changing flight times, security, limits on luggage, what can be packed where, etc.

Disney Doll
06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
For us there's not really a choice. It's almost impossible for DH to be away from work for more than a week so we normally only have 5 days/6 nights. Driving would eat up half our vacation. I don't find flying a hassle when I consider the alternative.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-30-2009, 11:13 AM
It really depends on you.

How far do you have to drive?
Do mind driving however many hours it is?
If it's more than a days worth of driving do you mind stopping and staying somewhere over night?
* Maybe check out the area where you are staying over night.

If this is something you don't mind or enjoy... I'd drive.

We live in Nashville and it's 10 1/2 - 11 hrs. We used to fly but now we drive. We actually don't mind it and we get to enjoy the trip down. It's also nice to have your car. That way you can come and go as you please and don't have to wait on Disney transportation. It's amazing how much more time you have at the parks when you aren't using the Disney buses.

JPL
06-30-2009, 11:17 AM
For me it's a no brainer, I always fly. I am not one to sit in a car for a long tiume and the last time I took the drive down to FLA was with a friend who happened to be up here on business so I drove back down with him and he flew me back home a few days later. The drive was pure torture for me. My vacation time is very valuable to me so getting there in a few hours is much more important IMHO.

It'sWDW4me
06-30-2009, 11:36 AM
My cousing graduated from Embry Riddle (sp?)and would, of course, drive down and back at least at the beginning and end of the semesters. Around 17 hrs, I believe it took him.

Like a pp had written, I can usually only take a full week (last year I was able to take an additional Friday so that was nice) off from work. I just wouldn't hold up to a 17 hour straight drive so I would have to overnight somewhere. A day and a half driving down and another day and a half driving back would take up nearly half of my vacation (a third if I was able to get another "extra" day off) - way too much time wasted away from my happy place, IMO. :mickey:

Since it's just me and my DS13 and since I can usually get a round trip flight (2 1/2 hrs each way) for around $200 pp, I'm happier to deal with the hassles of flying in order to get "home" a lot quicker! :number1:

diz_girl
06-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Do you consider the drive part of your vacation or part of getting to your vacation? That can make a difference in whether you drive or fly, in addition to cost, convenience, etc.

I love driving and HATE flying, so I prefer to drive when we go down. This past trip the drive down was BAD because it was during Thanksgiving weekend. I had no idea 95 though NC, SC and GA would be so bad. The drive back was a breeze, but we will never go at that time again. I might try the auto train in the future.

If I didn't drive, how else would I have discovered some interesting and beautiful places along the eastern seaboard (if you take the scenic drive down 17, rather than 95)? One year we went down via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and saw dolphins. I highly recommend it.

PETE FROM NYC
06-30-2009, 11:41 AM
After 12 fly downs this time we are driving.
We are both retired, so we have no time limits.
Our game plan:
Leave NYC AM Aug 30, drive to Virginia , do Kings Dominion, and Busch Gardens,Williamsburg.Leave Va. on Wed Aug 2,and take a leisurely drive to WDW arriving on Sept 4, staying til the 13th. Then we will be off property for another 4 days to do the "other parks" before we do a nice leisurely drive back home.Two, three, four days, who cares? Maybe we will figure out someplace else to stop.
DW and I are both large people and would need to book an extra seat to be comfortable on a plane. We are also both disabled and her scooter is in the back of our car. Walking thru an airport would do either one of us in.

passholderryan
06-30-2009, 12:46 PM
I guess I have it a little easier than most. From Ft. Lauderdale, it only takes me about 2 1/2 hours to make it to the world, so we drive. I've played the alphablet game so many times that I know where everything is. Now my wife won;t let me start it until we are about an hour in. I think I'll drive up Thursday, just because its a Thursday. Sorry everyone.

illini
06-30-2009, 01:25 PM
It depends for us. We have 5 people to transport and it's rare for us to find airfare for under $400 once you factor in all the taxes and fees. We can drive (18 hours) for much, much less than that. The last time we flew, we encountered so many issues that it actually took us 16 hours from the time we left our resort until we got home. It was horrible and I vowed never again. I am finally ready to try again in March, I think.

We're very fortunate, though. My DH can take plenty of time off work, and I don't work. Time is only a factor if we're pulling kids out of school. This next trip I'd like to make 10 days, so we'll probably fly so we only have to miss 2 days of school (the rest will be spring break).

If our large city actually had decent airfare, we'd probably fly every time (well, except after our bad experience). I always want to weep when I see everyone posting about $59 each way, or complaining about $99 each way!

steamboat willy
07-01-2009, 10:07 PM
First of all, I LOVE to :truck:
Living in NC, our drive is only 9 - 10 hours. The SUV is packed with Big Cooler that is taken into our room for beverages for the week. Small cooler for Diet Sundrop and Cheerwine (It's a Carolina Thang) on the road. Case of bottle water, Case of :beer: , munchies, snacks, some food, another case of :beer: , are all packed along with enough clothes to stay 4 weeks even though we leave after 10 days. Stops are made as needed, Ipod plays our favorite tunes, wife sleeps on and off, We talk alot, I drive faster as she sleeps but usually no more than 9 - 10 over the limit unless someone from Jersey or Florida drives by doing 90. Then I can bump it up a bit. We have Interstate ALL the way after leaving driveway. I-85, I-77, I-26, I-95, I-4 and now the new Toll road near Sanford takes you right to the back door of DISNEY By-passing Orlando Traffic.
We sometimes drive from Resort to Resort, drive Resort to Park and back. Miss the bus line, miss the bus wait and enjoy the ride.

disneyboundagain
07-01-2009, 11:17 PM
We usually drive, but have flown a few times. I hate to fly, and I hate all of the hassle. I also like to drive, so I don't mind the 18 hour drive. We haven broken it up over 2 days since the kids were born, but we plan to drive straight thru this year. I am looking forward to driving so much this December that I used it as justification to buy a new vehicle last week :D. DW's Aspen was just too small to pack everything she insists on taking:mad:.

Gregandmel
07-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Like so many have said - it depends on a number of factors. We are about 22-24 hours away and neither my husband or I can sit in a car longer than about 8 hours. That would mean (for us) probably 2 nights hotel stays just GETTING there, along with the food and gas, then of course - another 2 nights hotel stays to get back. Driving just seems to wipe us out. Our last trip was mega smooth. Although we got to the airport before 6am (meaning we got up at 3:15am) and were on the plane at 7am and took off on-time - arrived at MCO at 11am (their time - 1 hour ahead of us) and were at the WL by 1pm - it seemed to go so fast and we were very pleased with the experience. I"m not a fan of flying, but we are less of a fan of driving. So - you'll get a lot of opinions on this. If we were 700 miles or less away, then we'd drive it for sure - but 1200 miles, not so much! For those of you that are close by - I"m VERY jealous!!!! ha ha

Daddy Mouse
07-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I've driven down to WDW everytime except once. Including when the speed limit was 55. We have always driven straight through because of the cost factor. The one time we did fly was because we didn't have a vehicle large enought to transport 6 people in relative comfort.

DW likes to fly, I like to drive.18+ hours while tiring, has not been a problem. We leave after DW get off work and drive straight on down. Now that there is only two of us (No Children) we will probably fly.

TheVBs
07-02-2009, 04:11 PM
We drive too. I used to hate driving places, I would only fly. But we're a family of 4, coming from Michigan and even with an overnight hotel stay on the way down, we pay a fraction of what it would cost us to fly.

Besides, flying is not quick anymore. You have to factor in drive time to the airport, (then you've got parking or shuttle costs) you now have to be checked in several hours before your flight leaves, often sit on the plane during delays, can't always get affordable non-stop flights so add in layovers. And when I think of doing all this with two little kids - forget it! It's easier to drive.

We also pack a LOT of stuff. I don't know how we'd get by with carry-ons or just one bag. We don't buy all our meals on the road either, just dinner. Since it takes two days, that's one meal on the way down. We pack breakfast stuff and PB&Js.

Last trip we got to Disney at about 3:30pm. Hopped in our bathing suits, hit the pool, got some pizza for dinner, watched the movie by the pool. It was the perfect way to relax before our first day hitting the parks.

The trip home is depressing, I have to say that. But we leave when we're ready, no rushing out of WDW, and we look for interesting stops on the way home. Last time it was the Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum. The girls loved it!

iluvdizney2
07-02-2009, 08:39 PM
we generally drive because of the amount of things we have to pack, plus getting 4 wheelchairs through airport security is horrendous! Every time we get held up because our son has a central line by which he gets nutrition IV and fluid IVs 24 hours a day 7 days a week...everytime we have to tell them NO we cannot disconnect him! each time we have to be there at least 3 hours prior to the flight, then fight and struggle....then by the time we board, wait for the wheelchairs to get back up to us at our destination, and get to WDW actually takes over 9 hours....so now we drive every time. We leave home calmly, drive as long as we want, and rest as we need it. I only fly now if I am going alone or with one kid. Since there are 8 of us, it ends up a LOT cheaper to take one van and one small car for people and supplies. Everyone has room and happy. It takes us 21 hours from Massachusetts to get there and we used to do it in a straight shot, but health now has us doing it in 2 days. and we factor it in as the pre trip and the calm down from running everyday. PLUS when no one wants to leave WDW it makes it easier to slowly say goodbye to everything and everyone!!
I am flying in 10 days for our trip, but only because Its just me and my 7 yr. old...cheaper because I have free flights!

JRocker
07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
When it is just the two of us, we fly.

When it is the whole family (5), or more (6 on this last trip), it is much less expensive for us to drive. Of course, it doesn't hurt that we pull our own hotel room (camper) behind us.

We load up the coolers with food for the trip, we don't eat out on the way there. Our average lodging cost per night is $18.

We get to see many interesting things on the way there and back (we never go the same route twice). The journey is as much a part of our vacation as the destination. (admittedly there have been a couple of trips that would make the Griswalds proud)

There are also an increasing number of "hidden costs" with flying. I can only imagine how much it would cost my family to check bags packed for a two week vacation...

Tink#64
07-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Last year we drove for the first time & hated it! We've gotten very spoiled to hopping on the plane & being there in 2 hours! We were cutting costs last year & it was a very spur of the moment trip, we made our ressies a week before we arrived & airfare was going to break the deal at that point so we drove. Now I must say I'd rather drive than not go to WDW at all, but given the choice - I'd say fly! I felt like we wasted a lot of valuable vacation time driving and we encountered so much traffic during Sping Break and terrible rain & driving conditions, it was very stressful! I love being able to check into the resort about 3 hours after boarding that plane! Even having our van, we still parked it & used WDW transpo once we got there, to me that's vacation, let them deal with the traffic! :thumbsup:

andreallybadeggs
07-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Flying is wonderful when everything goes well. But when it doesn't go well-- and these days the odds are increasing that it won't-- I think flying is much more stressful than driving.
When we can find good airfares with reasonable connections we fly but this trip we'll be driving because:
1) Our DD lives in Orlando and wants a road trip home. She enjoys the drive and since her last 3 trips home she's encountered MAJOR flight delays (8-18 hours) she's sick of flying.
2) It's considerably cheaper. Yes, we consider all the "hidden" costs but wear/tear on the car is down the road (excuse the pun) and since we have a fairly new car and $ is tight NOW, we've decided that is a cost we can postpone. Furthermore, any car that is well maintained
should be able to make a few road trips without turning it into a piece of junk.
3) Cheaper even considering two nights lodging (one each direction) because I do my research and book inexpensive places to stay before we leave home.
4) Additional meal arguments does not ring true with me. We'd eat the same number of meals whether we'd fly or drive and I'd rather pack a cooler and eat healthy but cheap than get hungry waiting for a delayed flight and spend way too much for airport (or worse, airplane) food.
I've always said if one day I came into a huge amount of money I probably wouldn't make many lifestyle changes. BUT, my one indulgence would be to fly first class and belong to every airport club/lounge on the planet. Or better yet, to hire private jets. Until then, knees up under my chin and a bag of pretzels doesn't look much better than an extra day on the road.

kemps@wdw
07-05-2009, 09:31 PM
We've flown several times and have always had a very pleasant experience doing so. That being said, we have driven more times than flown, We live in western KY, so it's a good 14 hr drive for us. The up side to flying...getting there quick. The down side...we can't pack and bring everything w/us we want. So, there's pros and cons for both ways. My DH prefers to drive, and I prefer flying. DD doesn't care for flying, but likes to get there quick! (she's 16...go figure). As I get older though, I find I don't enjoy the long drive like I used to. I'm alot stiffer at the end of the road!:blush:

barnaby
07-06-2009, 12:42 PM
I like to drive. It is a 16 hour trip for us. We split it into 2 days last trip, stopping in Savannah, GA.
But we made the drive down part of the vacation. We went over the Cheasepeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, stopped at South of the Border, and stopped at Daytona International Speedway.
I like the idea of having my own vehicle when staying at WDW, even though we stayed on the property. I also liked not having to worry about baggage checks and I like being able to bring food and drink with us for the hotel room.

WDWCrazyKaren
07-07-2009, 08:58 AM
In a nutshell-with kids, fly. Without kids, do whatever you want.

There's no way on this entire earth that I would sit in a car with kids for 28 straight hours. I'd be in jail sometime after the first 14 minutes.

But that's just me.:cool: