PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Diner OR 50's Prime Time Cafe?

steamboat willy
06-29-2009, 10:29 AM
:eat: We are flip flopping between Sci-Fi and 50's Prime Time Cafe before viewing Fantasmic that night. We have found (2) different menus on (2) different sites sites :confused: and was wondering which is more up to date. We like the one we found here on INTERCOT the best (more selections at Sci-Fi) and was wondering if anyone knows how acurate the menus actually are.
OR, if you had to choose between the two for other reasons...What would that be? ;)
Sci-Fi or 50's Prime Time

japhilli
06-29-2009, 10:42 AM
I would say the food is better at 50's PrimeTime, but the theming of SciFi is great. My son loves to go there....so we go every year. I have found most posted menus to be pretty accurate.

We think SciFi is more fun.

Love the pot roast at PrimeTime

Love the reuben at SciFi

Hayden's Dad
06-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Sci Fi is a must for us on all of our trips. :mickey: You can't beat the themeing.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-29-2009, 11:29 AM
I would choose Prime Time. The theming at Sci-Fi is neat, but the food is just horrible, it was the worst we've ever had at Disney.

Prime Time can be really fun, if you get a good server. Even if you don't, at least the food is good! :eat:

yjgirl32
06-29-2009, 11:32 AM
We are trying both this Sept. I was told that going to Sci-Fi we should stick to like appetizers & burgers. Oh and to get a milkshake. Good luck in your decision.

WishingStar2006
06-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I would go with 50's Prime Time too...while Sci-Fi is a neat experience, the food is very sub-par. I would make an ADR for Sci-Fi but only get a milk shake to enjoy the ambiance and then go to 50's Prime TIme to eat. The food is much better and if you get a good server, the experience is a real hoot!

EmmMOM2
06-29-2009, 12:05 PM
For us Prime time can tend to get annoying depending on which waitress/waiter you receive. One lady was a little too overbearing.
I don't like feeling pressure about eating everything on my plate when trying something new.
I'd go for Sci-Fi even though the food is sub par.

lightyearfan
06-29-2009, 01:17 PM
well maybe i'm in the monority here, but me and dw have never had a problem with food at the sci-fi, and we will be going back again this upcoming trip, 50's is also a place that we've been too a few times and it too is very good, it's like the other posts before me said the theming is much better at sci-fi and there tends to be more of a home feel to the prime time, no matter which one you choose you won't be disappointed (IMHO)

enjoy your trip
Victor

andreallybadeggs
06-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Agree with last poster. It never ceases to amaze me how different people feel about the food at various WDW restaurants but Sci Fi is pretty polarizing. My family absolutely loves it there.
Wouldn't go so far as to say the food is the best we had in the world but we've never been dissatisfied no matter what time of day.
50's food is pretty good (not great in my opinion) and it can be a lot of fun but only if your group gets into the spirit and your server is feeling the role as well.
I've gotten the same "cousin" the last three times.
First time was great, second time was OK, third time she was crabby and borderline rude to our guests who were not very hungry (and on a limited budget) so asked to share a meal. I've NEVER experienced that anywhere else at WDW and was really embarrassed by the whole scene.

EpcotFan182
06-29-2009, 08:09 PM
I would choose the 50's Prime Time.

The theming for the Sci-Fi is cool, but I didn't think the food was as good. Plus you can have a lot of fun at 50's. :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
06-30-2009, 09:46 AM
I've never been to 50's prime time, but here's my :twocents: on Sci Fi. I know it gets pretty unfavorable reviews a lot of times, but I don't think it's that bad. It's not a gourmet dining establishment, it's a drive in diner. That being said I would stick to ordering things you would expect to find at a drive in diner...burgers, onion rings, shakes, etc. I notice they have other things on the menu, but I would not order ribs or pasta at the drive in and expect it to be good. The atmosphere is a lot of fun and I would recommend that everyone try it at least once.

DisneyFr33k
06-30-2009, 12:13 PM
I would choose Prime Time. The theming at Sci-Fi is neat, but the food is just horrible, it was the worst we've ever had at Disney.

Prime Time can be really fun, if you get a good server. Even if you don't, at least the food is good! :eat:

I agree 100%. We ate at sci fi once, had to wait an insanely long time to be seated (we had ADR's), the movie clips were hokie and repeated several times during our dinner (you would think they would run some that didn't repeat for at least an hour), and the food portions were small and the quality poor.

50's Prime Time - food is really good, service is fun! You can't go wrong there.

joonyer
06-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Actually, we have found the food at Sci-Fi Dine in to be really good, . . . if you stick with the typical lunch menu items. I highly recommend their Burgers, reuben sandwiches, onion rings (some of the best I've ever had) and the milkshakes.

I would stay away from the dinner entrees, though, they are usually not as good as the burgers and sandwiches. Treat it as a "drive-in" and stick to "drive-in" menu items and you'll enjoy the food there.

Madzac
06-30-2009, 02:56 PM
We are another family that just LOVED the Sci Fi. That is one place my kids have reuqested to go back to again. We had wonderful food... though we stuck to the burgers and fries and they were awesome!

i have been to 50's as well though it has been a few trips. It was ok. The theming was a little too in your face for me. But lots of people like it, and there is more variety to the menu. Its not a must do for me.

If I was looking for a great lunch and fun for young kids, I would do sci fi. If I wanted a more substatial dinner in a place where you are "part of the show", I would chose 50's PT.

Tink-N-Me
06-30-2009, 03:07 PM
I would difinitely pick the Prime Time over the Sci-Fi. For me Disney is all about the experience and the servers at the Prime Time can really put on a show (live interactive entertainment) as compared to old black & white short movies, that don't hold my kids attention. Also, my kids love to pick out their dessert through the old time toy view finders at the 50's.

VolMickey
06-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I was wondering this myself, thanks everyone for posting! :number1:

Jeffybob
07-02-2009, 07:12 AM
PRIMETIME ... just keep you elbows off the table or you will be singing "I'm a little tea pot" for the dining room! :mickey:

maxrebo77
07-02-2009, 11:06 AM
SciFi
About 45 minutes before your ADR, head over to 50's. Have a nice cocktail at the Tune In lounge and watch some of the old TVs. When you get to SciFi, enjoy the experience. Order what you would expect to eat in that setting. It will never be fine dining, but for me a lot of fun. I love the old film clips, and there are some Hidden Mickey's there too. And glow cubes!

Lizzy
07-02-2009, 11:17 AM
It has been years since I have been to either, but I would say 50s over Sci-fi.

I was glad that I did try Sci-fi and for lunch it was not too bad, but the food at 50s was way better. I have eaten at 50s a couple times now and enjoyed it every time.

queenstorm24
07-02-2009, 11:39 AM
During our last trip we went to Sci-Fi. It was ok. We will be trying 50's Prime Time for this visit.

DizneeFan13
07-02-2009, 01:13 PM
50's Prime TIme Cafe gets our vote.

We just got back the "The World":mickey: June 15th and we ate a nice dinner at 50's Prime Time Cafe. I have to say, imho, it was the best meal I have ever eaten at Walt Disney World. I don't know if it was just the atmosphere that so good, or the food or both but it was great. We had a great staff that evening, even CM who weren't helping us directly were in on the act and they had the whole restaurant making "airplane" noises to my 22 y/o brother would finish his chicken for dessert. The food on the other hand, was exceptional. I got the meatloaf and it was the best I have had in such a long time. I was greatly suprised. My brother's fried chicken was beyond moist and he was served an entire half of a chicken (breast, wing, thigh, and leg). We had such a good time that it has now become a "must do" from now on!

TheVBs
07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
We've never eaten at the 50's PT, but we have eaten at SciFi twice. The atmosphere was fun the first time around, a little tiresome the second time around. I think, like someone else mentioned, it was because the loop of movie clips just wasn't long enough. The food was not good either time, although we didn't stick to the burgers and fries, which might have made a difference. I could have lived with not so great food, but the bill was considerable. Our kids did get drivers licenses from the waiter, which was very cool and fun. We would not opt to eat there again. At least, not for a very long time.

LudwigVonDrake
07-03-2009, 12:02 PM
50s Prime Time would be my choice :eat:

ransam
07-03-2009, 12:22 PM
the food at sci fi was good and the theming was cool...but to me...i didn't like it...you sit in a car like you're at a drive in. it was kind of cramped and if you have a weight problem....well. you might not fit. it's also hard to talk cause it's so loud and a movie is going on.
i really liked the prime time cafe..it was kind of caotic. but i thought the food was awesome! and i loved the interaction w/ the waitress.

Saron the Great
07-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Have not been to either but Sci-Fi looks like fun! Great theme, cool place. PT has a hit & miss with the servers there.......