PDA

View Full Version : Advice on shipping to resort

Disney_Barbie
06-29-2009, 10:23 AM
What have you found is the best way to ship yourselve some items (groceries, ect) from home to your resort?
I have never been able to figure out the ins and outs of shipping (fed ex, ups, usps, express mail, priority mail, media mail, prepaid ect ect ect), last time I shipped my box (which I think was about 20 lbs) standard (or which ever the cheapest mail) from Massachusetts to my resort, and... I can't recall how much I paid, I think around $25 or so.
We might be able to go a little lighter this time, but it's bulky stuff generally (cereal, ect). What's the best way to do it?
Does any shipping service (Ups, USPS, Fed ex) seem to be cheaper than others? (I attempted to compare prices online, but until you have the size & weight of the box, it's pretty hard to get any price ideas)
Would a pre-paid box be the way to go, or do those only come in small sizes (I feel like everyone I've ever seen has been quite small). What's your best advice?

Strmchsr
06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
If it's groceries you're wanting to ship I would think it would definitely be a LOT cheaper to use a grocery delivery service (there are several that cater to WDW) rather than shipping stuff.

Disney_Barbie
06-29-2009, 01:17 PM
If it's groceries you're wanting to ship I would think it would definitely be a LOT cheaper to use a grocery delivery service (there are several that cater to WDW) rather than shipping stuff.

We actually DO use garden grocer (and LOVE THEM) they bring us our standard groceries, and things that would be TOTALLY unreasonable to ship (water, soda, ect). But we also eat a lot of VERY specific, specialty foods due to dietary restrictions. There are specific local brands that I know we can eat w/out a problem, and we always prefer to ship oursevles those things, rather than taking a risk on similar items of brands that are indigenous to Central Florida.

I know many people ship themselves groceries/shampoo/ect, I've read many posters speak about it before. If you were buying items that are available @ gardengrocer I doubt it would be worth it to ship yourselves your own stuff. But for us we do'nt really have much of a choice (I guess we could always pay the 3rd bag fee, but that seems REALLY rediculous)

Disney Doll
06-29-2009, 01:54 PM
We just found a used box that DH brought home from work and packed it up with what we needed. We were in the same boat with some very specific needs for the baby so we shipped and did a grocery delivery. I just took the book to a Mailboxes Etc. or similar store and they let me know which carrier would be the cheapest. I think we ended up just using USPS. Unless you have an unusually large box I think the biggest factor is weight. That's why we didn't bother looking for a box of specific dimensions. We fly SW so we can easily pack another suitcase without the fee. That's what we are doing now.

Disney_Barbie
06-29-2009, 03:03 PM
I just took the book to a Mailboxes Etc. or similar store and they let me know which carrier would be the cheapest.

Oh neat, I've heard of Mailboxes ect, but I guess I didnt' really know what the company did. That's great to know. Thanks!