PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Backyard BBBQ vs. Spirit of Aloha

mattandmandy
06-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Well all of my reservations are done! I have to choose between Spirit of Aloha or Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Which would you choose? We have never been to either and will be with our 2 boys, ages 3 and 4. We are staying 10 nights but our dining schedule is already full and leaves me with having to choose one or the other. I read some other posts about Aloha but would like to hear more opinions of what yall would choose if you had to pick between the two. Thanks!!!

bruin1344
06-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Never done Mickey Backyard BBQ but did the spirit of aloha about 10-15 years ago. We were a little disappointed because it was pricey and the food was overcooked. But if I had to eat there again I would.

mattandmandy
06-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks, bruin1344. we are still trying to decide. I did find a couple of videos of both shows on youtube and showed my boys and they were both excited about the fire dancing. I asked them which one they wanted to see and they both said Spirit of Aloha. It's funny that I was wondering if I could find a video to help make our decision and sure enough there were several of both shows. My oldest (4) said he would rather see the fire than dance with Mickey! lol Luckily since we have free dining we don't have to worry as much about how much we are paying....although both shows use up 2 credits!

IfUHadWings
06-29-2009, 02:49 PM
We took our 5 year old (at the time) to the BBQ. BBQ buffet style food, open bar :blush: and ice cream. The ice cream is in a cooler like the vendors have in the park, just help yourself. The food aspect was great.

When the characters arrived, it was chaos. People mobbed them on the dance floor, but soon after orginization was restored. The charcters went to every table and took pics and met each child. Overall, it was a nice experience.

Never been to Spirit of Aloha. Have read that you need a good seat. Some of the seating is far away from what I understand. :mickey:

rubato
06-30-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm never been to the BBQ, but we were thoroughly disappointed in the SofA show. The food was overcooked and bad. The show was VERY campy, and not in a good way. Yes, the fire dancers were cool. The main guy even caught himself on fire by accident, which was pretty exciting for my son. But, that part of the show is short and the story part of the show (which is the main part) is pretty lame. We got category 1 seating and still couldn't see a lot of the show (or at least my son couldn't)because of the way the tables are set up.

BluewaterBrad
06-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I have not been to the BBQ, but I thought the luau was awesome! Our food was great!! The show was a little sappy at times, but when the fire twirler came out I was loving it!! (arent a lot of things at WDW sappy as planned?) I want to go again!:mickey:

kwhitt3202
06-30-2009, 06:25 PM
We have done the luau the last three years. DS, 3, loved the fire dancers. There are times in the first half that they encourage the kids to dance with them. Toward the end he got antsy so we walked him in the back til the fire dancer came and then he was glued to what he was doing. We like the food. It is a matter of taste. We never done the BBQ live in Texas so didnt see the point.

mattandmandy
06-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks again for all the details. kwhitt3202, you made a good point. We also live in Texas so BBQ would not be much different...I can be pretty picky about Mexican food and BBQ being from Texas! :blush: Are the parts before the fire dancing interesting for the kids? What kind of food is it?

kdsjjb
07-01-2009, 04:02 PM
I've posted in another thread that I would never do the BBQ again, but we'll never do the luau again either.

Didnt care too much for either one, but if we were forced to do one of them it would be the luau.

Whole family loved the HDDR, though.

kwhitt3202
07-02-2009, 08:54 AM
the first half is lots for singing so if your kiddos are into that also they will have the kids come up and learn the hula and do hulahoops.My son could care less about that and was into his food and dancing at our table to the music. There is salad, chicken, ribs, rice, steemed veggies, and pineapple, as well as some really good bread and some sort of chocolate cake thing for dessert. We also ask for the kids meal for youngin and he gets a drumstick, mini hotdog, mac and cheese and halk an uncrustable. He also could eat what we ate. I liked the fact that they had it to were the kids could sit and eat a little and then get up and move around the eat somemore. With an active 3yr old he liked it.

TheVBs
07-02-2009, 03:10 PM
We've done both and I would definitely choose the BBQ over the Aloha show.

The Aloha show was cute but hokey, the dancing was great to watch. But you definitely need good seating to enjoy the show. They do bring the kids up to hula for a very brief time at the beginning, but that's it. That was a little frustrating for our girls, who like to participate as much as possible. We thought the food was great and we had above and beyond service!

The BBQ was an absolute blast. The only character that came around to the tables when we went was Mickey and it was very quick. Our girls couldn't have cared less though, because they were in heaven dancing with the characters! The music was great and there was a man doing rope tricks for part of the show. The food was good. As BBQ food goes, it wouldn't win any awards, but it was good. It was set up buffet style so you're sure to get filled up, the drinks were open for guests, so plenty of refills. There was an open bar, beer and wine only, but that's the first time we've seen alcohol included! The best part were the ice cream cases. The girls could not believe that they could just walk up and pluck out a Mickey bar.:mickey:

We wouldn't do the Aloha show again, but I would do the BBQ again in a heartbeat.