PDA

View Full Version : tipping at Teppan Edo

scooterca42
06-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Does one tip one's chef at Teppan Edo?

TheRustyScupper
06-27-2009, 07:18 AM
1) Sometimes.
2) ONLY IF he/she is very entertaining, with great knife, fork or spatula work.
. . . flare and exaggerated movements
. . . the "banging" should actually sound like a tune
. . . there is a lot of guest interaction
3) No tip for average and customary acts
. . . tossing shrimp tails to hat
. . . onion volcano
. . . cooking of meal
. . . tossing and splitting eggs with spatula
. . . mild jokes

4) If good, we normally tip $5-$10 to the chef for "The Show".

PixieMagic
06-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Not sure it works the same way in Disney but.....I worked at a Hibachi restaurant here in MN for a while (just recently quit)...and as a server I had to split all my tips 50/50 with the chefs while anything customers gave them they kept for themselves.......just something to think about..........

TheRustyScupper
06-27-2009, 06:56 PM
as a server I had to split all my tips 50/50 with the chefs while anything customers gave them they kept for themselves

1) Yes, as it should be.
2) If the meal and "show" is good, then both should share equally.
3) If the "show" is outstanding, then the extra effort of the chef needs reward.

PixieMagic
06-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Agreed in theory and I had no problem with it and LOVED my chefs....HOWEVER - I don't think many people realize this is the case....and when you are tipped less than standard then you actually end up paying tips on money you never made!

Hull-onian
06-28-2009, 10:21 AM
We haven't eaten in Japan in a while, so this is good information regarding the Chef's. We tip very generous anyways. Now that I have read these posts, I will make a ressie for there again.:thumbsup:

Saron the Great
07-03-2009, 07:11 PM
We haven't eaten in Japan in a while, so this is good information regarding the Chef's. We tip very generous anyways. Now that I have read these posts, I will make a ressie for there again.:thumbsup:

SO you enjoyed it there?? I have plans to eat there but was wondering how it was??

Bruegge
07-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I know chefs get a cut of server tips... If it's 50/50 like posted (and I believe it is) here is how I tip:

I usually run up a bill around $100.00 for DW and I (drinks sushi and dinner)

If the chef is good to great and service is ok .. I give a $5.00 to the chef and tip $15.00 on the check

Chef gets a total of $12.50 and the server get a total of $7.50

If chef is fair and service is good to great... just tip the bill $20.00

Each get $10.00 that way

Scott

TheVBs
07-04-2009, 01:04 PM
SO you enjoyed it there?? I have plans to eat there but was wondering how it was??

We ate there in May and the food and atmosphere were fantastic! I highly recommend it.:thumbsup: