PDA

View Full Version : The Force is with Us - Departure and final thoughts

MOJoe
06-26-2009, 04:02 PM
The Force Is With Us - June 13th

It's always a melancholy chore, gathering all our belongings and packing the suitcases for the trip back home. But we have had a wonderful trip, with many surprises and only minor hiccups. And even though i don't feel like we have pushed it, we are tired and ready to go home. But first, one last treat.

I felt that we should have a good breakfast to help get our long travel day started. So we have ressies for Cape May with Minnie, Donald and Goofy. We are seated almost immediately, as the restaurant was not busy. The food is good, but it's the Characters that are the real reason to come here. They put on a good show, and took their time with us. This was a great way to end our stay at the Beach Club.

Our ME bus departs at 1:00, so i thought we had time for one last look at Epcot or even the Studios. But the one hitch in our trip prevented us from that. As i brought our luggage to the ME counter, the CM's asked if i had my confirmation codes for the baggage fees. "No." "Well that's why the ME packet was delivered to your room yesterday, so you could have this done before now." they said. Sure enough, buried in the middle of the packet was some instructions and a phone number. "I guess i should have read this more thoroughly." i say. I get my cell phone out and call. So does the CM. I get put on hold and so does she. "Does this take long?" "It can, especially at this time of day." Another CM chimes in. "I've been on hold 30 minutes before." Yikes. More groups show up, and several have the same problem. I guess i should have known this needed to be taken care of. But this is my first trip where additional fees were added, so i was ignorant of how the process worked. Well the process didn't work, as after 20 minutes i am cut off. Seconds later the CM is cut off as well. I go the the front desk and try to solve the problem there. The manager even gets involved, but it's useless. I go back and try to get my luggage off the cart so i can pay at the airport, but too late - it's gone. I'm stuck. We have 4 phones on hold trying to get through. We get cut off and try again. After an hour, the CM gets someone on the line. The person on the other end only wants to give one confirmation number per call, but the CM pleads our case. Finally it is settled. And i am a mess. "I need a drink." i tell Minnie.

It's too late to go anywhere now, so we send the boys to the arcade to wipe out the free game credits we have. Of course they come back, needing more money. Meanwhile Minnie and i just relax. We get that drink and sit in the Solarium until it's time to go. "How about this hotel?" i ask Minnie. "The best." she says. "Sure hope we can come back." "Me too."

Final Thoughts

Thanks for following me and my family again. And thanks to Intercot for this forum. I enjoy writing these reports, so i can print them and look back at a later date. It really helps keep these great memories alive. So to end, here are my final thoughts.

The Beach Club. Wow. I'm spoiled now. The incredible convenience to some of my favorite things is wonderful. Want a Grey Goose Slush? I can go and be back to the room with one in less than 10 minutes! But even without that, the atmosphere here is the best. Here i feel i am in the heart of Disney World, yet relaxed and laid back. The pools, the rooms, the views, the sand beach, the background music, all work together providing you with the most enjoyable, relaxing experience i have ever had in Disney. I could go on and on about this resort.

June Weather and Crowds. We got to the world just as it was beginning to heat up and get crowded. The first few days were very pleasant, and the parks seemed very uncrowded. We did use the UG best days, which may have helped. By the end of our trip, however, the heat was a factor. And the crowds on Friday at MK were huge.

Transportation. Our average wait had to be only 8 minutes. Only once did we wait 15 minutes for a boat. We saw one leave as we were exiting the Studios, so we waited for the next one. The only exception was the last night at the MK bus depot, which the most crowded i have ever seen any bus stop. Still, we were home in less than 1 hour.

Food. Not one complaint from anyone. The quality was top notch. Yak and Yeti take out was the only place i don't care to try again. 50's Prime Time and Tokyo Dining are winners. And of course, Le Cellier is now on our must list, that is if we can get that coveted ressie.

Cast Members. I saved the best for last. Early in this vacation i got the feeling that the day before i arrived there must have been a meeting. "Times are tough, so do all you can to show our guests we appreciate them" could have been the topic. Everywhere, throughout the parks, CM's seemed to go out of their way to help make our day special. They seemed happier and more helpful than ever. And even though i must have the lukiest 10 yr old son in the world, we can't be the only family that was given a few extras. Disney is a fabulous place for a family vacation, but when you boil it all down, it is the people that make it the extraordinary place it is.

Thanks again for your replies, and until next time, May the Force Be With You.
Joe

mouseketeer mom
06-26-2009, 04:58 PM
A wonderful report! Love the recap at the end., and we had the same problem as you with the confirmation numbers for baggage during our last stay. We were cutting it so close to the three hour window that we had to check in for the airline at the resort..we had two phones going at once and we made it by the minute. Not a great way to end your trip!!

slegrant
06-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Sounds like you had a fantastic time, my family and I are leaving Sunday for 10 days, 2 in St.Petersburg (hometown) then the last eight at Fort Wilderness. We to are going to try and relax and enjoy the resorts more and do less parks. I have stayed at mostly MK resorts but after your reports maybe over New Years we will stay at the Beach Club.

Thanks again for the reports:mickey:

NotaGeek
06-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks SO much for your great report ... I really enjoyed reading them! :yoda:

faline
06-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Joe, so sorry you didn't get a chance to set foot in a park on your last day! What a disappointment!

Once again, I am so happy you have shared your trip with us as I have greatly enjoyed following you and your family through your daily adventures and mis-adventures!

scooterca42
06-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Wonderful reports, gets us ready to go ourselves! One question, what is all this about luggage fee confirmation numbers? :confused:

Kathy Jetson
06-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Loved your reports thanks for sharing!

thejens
06-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks for your great reports. We have two boys also and enjoyed SWW this year so I could relate a bunch to your report! I also love Beach Club! My top 3 are AKL, Poly and Beach Club and you have really made me want to do BC again! I also hate that hot crowd for the Hoopla and Jedi Training. I wish they would find a better way to do those shows so it wasn't so miserable packed in, hot, poor visibility and maybe your kid won't even get picked. This just doesn't seem like the usual "Disney Show" to me. Sorry, I digress. It really was fun hearing about all your extra treats! We haven't gotten many freebies over the years, but the wonderful attitude of the Cast Members is truly what makes for a magical experience! Thank you so much for sharing. I too love to re-read my old reports!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I really enjoyed reading your reports... Please have Indy throw a little of his "LUCK" our way when we are there in September!

yjgirl32
06-28-2009, 08:53 PM
I really enjoyed reading your reports. Even if I was a little jealous. Thanks so much for letting me see what you experienced and informing me of the restaraunts, bus service, cm's etc. It's very helpful.

DeniseMB
06-28-2009, 10:31 PM
What a wonderful report. Thanks for sharing. Very enjoyable. :mickey:

DizNee143
06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
sorry you had to deal with that on your last day..but sounds like after you still ended you vacation on a good note..
thanx so much for sharing your trip with us..i really enjoyed reading all about it! :mickey:

pink
06-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing with us. I love writing my own trip reports as well, it's such a great treasure to go back and read years from now. :mickey:

Lizzie
06-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all your reports. Good to know about the luggage fees and what to do.

disneykidsince1970
07-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Thanks so much for your reports... I have just finished reading them all while I ate my lunch. I really liked the way you used pseudo-names instead of DH/S , etc. Somehow, easier to follow! I am big Intercot fan but I struggle to keep up with all the acronyms sometimes!

Your stories were great and I swear, the tight feeling of joyous crying has been right at the back of my eyeballs for the last 20 minutes, while I was reading your reports.

With all the free foodie gifts, it sure seems like Disney was perhaps thinking about a way to make some easy but meaningul gestures to guests ... I get a lot of food is tossed each day b/c of accidental over-production or something...why not give it away!? Whatever the reason...a nice benefit when on the receiving end!!

My kids are young (2.5 and 4) and so our last trip (in May) was a lot different than yours...enjoyable but...let me put it this way - there was only 1 stop at RnC and it was for a roadie to walk out while we pushed the kids...I enjoyed our trip immensely and wouldn't change a thing!! BUT..reading about trips with older kids also makes me look forward to those times...

Thanks again... I am waaaay across the pond in Switzerland and reading trip reports really helps me get thru the "I MISS DISNEY!!" hump.

:cloud9:
Carolyn

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
07-06-2009, 03:07 PM
My family will be in Disney in a mere 5 days so reading your reports was a great way to get ready! There are also 4 of us with my son being 17 and just graduated from high school and a daughter that is 13. We REALLY enjoy these trips now that the kids are older and can do the same things we can do or split apart and do different things if they wish. I don't think this will be the last trip with my son as I think he will continue to travel with us as long as we'll pay for him ;) but it is sort of the end to our trips as they have been in the past. Thanks for writing such fun reports and keep enjoying that family time at Disney! :mickey:

iheartdisney
07-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Enjoyed reading your wrap-up. Thanks for sharing!

BluewaterBrad
07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I have enjoyed all of your reports!!:mickey:

pdrlkr
07-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the great Reports! :smickey: