PDA

View Full Version : buying resale, same resort but different use year

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
06-26-2009, 12:31 PM
We are considering adding on to our current number of points. We now own and AKV and wouldn't mind getting more points at that resort since it would seem to make reservations easier (still the same 11 month home resort and 7 month non-home resort restrictions). Resale prices are pretty good right now compared to the prices at Disney. Other than keeping track of how many points you have available at any given time are there advantages or disadvantages to this scenario? Thanks!!

Basket Mommy
06-26-2009, 02:50 PM
We own points with an April use year (2 separate resale purchases with 2 contracts but we're able to use them together since they're both April contracts). We recently purchased some points with a February use year because the deal was too good to pass up (we bought 170 HHI points that had 170 banked 2008 points with it, so we had 340 points available immediately). We now have 2 DVC numbers and 2 separate accounts because of the 2 different use years. Confused yet?

Booking a trip was interesting and complicated. If I had it to do over, I would try to stick with a single use year.

Last month I booked a 5-night October stay at a 3 BR Grand Villa at SSR. Four of the nights were paid for using points from the February contract since it held 170 banked 2008 points that would expire. That used up all but a few of the 2008 and 2009 points from that contract, but there weren't enough points left on the February contract to book our 5th night at SSR. I could've borrowed the remaining points from the 2010 points, but I didn't want to.

I had to bank the leftover February 2009 contract points and then book our 5th night at SSR using the April contract points. Now we have 2 confirmation numbers and that gets confusing, too. I haven't tried to do ADRs online yet (July 30 is my window for that) so I don't know if the 2 confirmation #s will cause problems or not. I know there might be some trouble when I go to use online check-in, because DVCmember.com does not show our first confirmation # for the day we check into the hotel (Oct 28). It only shows the last night's confirmation number.

If you make it through this post without being confused and find a great deal on points and are willing to deal with 2 different use years, it can be done. Just be ready for your brain to hurt a little.

DVC2004
06-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Sorry- but I would not advise this- unless you want 47 more years of headaches. Try to find the same use year. To me it would not be worth the savings.

dlpmikki
06-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I've had 2 use years at the same resort for the last 10 years and to be honest it hasn't really caused any problems. You do have to book whole nights with each use year unless you just transfer the points across but it isn't hard.

Horizon93
06-26-2009, 09:54 PM
I have a question. If I were to buy a resale contract at a different home resort, but with my same use year, would I have 2 member numbers or would the add on contract simply be another subcontract under my master contract?

Thanks

DVC2004
06-26-2009, 09:58 PM
I have a question. If I were to buy a resale contract at a different home resort, but with my same use year, would I have 2 member numbers or would the add on contract simply be another subcontract under my master contract?

Thanks

You would still have the same member number.
Your contract numbers would be different but that won't have any effect on reservations since you are getting all your points at the same time.

dlpmikki
06-27-2009, 04:38 AM
I have two member numbers but they are different use years even though at the same resort.