PDA

View Full Version : Resort Wishes Watching

MidnTPK
06-25-2009, 01:14 PM
For my fall trip, I'd like to know where at the monorail reports there are good viewing locations for Wishes.

Starting with the Contemporary:

Aside from the rooms that have a MK view and the observation deck off the Californian Grill, where can you watch Wishes from the Contemporary?

Could I climb the stairs to get up to the roof deck, or is it only accessible through the Cali Grill? Do they play the soundtrack up there?

I've seen reports of an observation deck off the fourth floor Grand Canyon Concourse...can anyone confirm or deny its existence? If it does exist, is it open to everyone or just resort guests, etc.? Is the soundtrack played? Do you have to stake out space early or is it usually not full?
Next, the Poly:

I've heard the boat dock and the beach are best. Any particular part of the beach? And is the soundtrack played all over or just on the dock?
Finally, the Grand Floridian:

Looks to me like the boat dock and Narcoossee's have the only unobstructed views.
Thanks!

SBETigg
06-25-2009, 01:19 PM
At the GF, the marina and outside Gasparilla Grill actually have better views than the boat dock and Narcoossee's. For the Electric Water Pageant, though, you want to go to the dock and a little in front of the Boca Chica area.

At the Poly, the soundtrack can only be heard well close to the pool. There's one or two speakers, not stellar sound for the area. But it's a great view. We prefer to be down the beach a bit.

Not sure what's the deal at the Contemporary.

faline
06-25-2009, 06:44 PM
There is a viewing area at the 4th Floor Contemporary but I've never used. I doubt you'd be able to climb the stairs to the California Grill viewing areas. You can't even get to the restaurant without someone accompanying you up the elevator. If there's room in the lounge, they may allow you up to California Grill. Check with staff at the second floor desk.

The Grand Floridian is not my favorite area from which to view the Magic Kingdom fireworks. We stayed there on one occasion and had a partial view of the fireworks over the roof of Narcoosee's (our room overlooked Narcoosee"s). On a couple of occasion, we walked around to the other side of our building to watch the fireworks. If you use Narcoosee's deck, be sure not to block the view of the diners inside. It's rather frustrating to dine there and only be able to see the backsides of individuals on the deck when the fireworks are on.

The Poly beach is a pretty good place to watch. As already noted, the sound is really only available close to the pool. There's usually so much light in that area that it's my favorite location - I prefer to walk further down the beach.

You can see the fireworks from the beach at Fort Wilderness as well. I never tried watching them from the beach area at Wilderness Lodge though my daughter said she watched them from there.

MidnTPK
07-09-2009, 04:36 PM
As follow-up: I just made an ADR for the Cali Grill....and these interesting details were included in my email confirmation:

Due to capacity constraints as well as the numerous private functions hosted by the California Grill, only patrons of the California Grill may use the 15th floor observation deck at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Guests who have dined prior in the evening may return to California Grill to view the fireworks. Guests will need to present their receipt from dinner to gain re-entry to the restaurant.

As an alternative, Disney Resort Guests who are visiting Disney's Contemporary Resort for shopping or dining experiences may visit a fireworks viewing location on the north end of the 4th floor Grand Canyon Concourse. Proceed past the Concourse Sundries and Spirits shop and exit the doors to the exterior. From the viewing area, Guests can see Cinderella Castle and Magic KingdomŪ theme park, and hear the background music and sounds synchronized with the Wishes fireworks display. There is a small area under cover for viewing during inclement weather.

MidnTPK
09-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Back from my trip. Thought I'd memorialize my findings at the CR.

BLT guests can watch from the skyway. The music is played but was almost too soft to hear. It wasn't very crowded because if you're so close to the MK, why watch from outside the park.

The 4th floor of the CR's main concourse has a large outdoor verandah (that spans the entire width of the building) where you can watch. The music is adequately loud so it's very pleasant place to watch. But the view in all but one spot is somewhat obstructed by the monorail and its tracks.

As a solution to that problem, you can walk up the outdoor stairway and watch from landings there. I watched from the first landing (right above where the monorail enters the building) and it was a great unobstructed view. And the music from the verandah speakers was just like from the main level. The only problem would could be the further up you go, the further you are from the speakers. I'd imagine on the 3rd or 4th floor you wouldn't be able to hear the music.

That being said, the CR is not the best place to watch. The fireworks are definitely designed to be seen from Main Street USA in the MK. From the CR, its abundantly obvious which fireworks are launched from Fantasyland and which are launched behind the park. There are many displays that look great in the park, but look small and silly from the CR.

That being said, the CR might be the best place to watch the finale for Hallo-Wishes. It's incredible when the displays are launched from all around the park, and fireworks fill your entire field of vision (almost a full 180 degrees).