PDA

View Full Version : Off-the-wall Baseball Question

alphamommy
06-24-2009, 12:38 AM
When I was a kid, we would frequently go to "twilight double headers", where two teams would play two games. You bought one ticket, and got to stay for both games.

Do they still do these? I know that the Tigers have double headers, but they tend to be one game in the afternoon, followed by another in the evening, with separate tickets for each game.

Just curious...

mludman
06-24-2009, 06:19 AM
you almost never see that any more. its all about $$. 2 games, 2 tickets. besides, most of the double headers now a days are a result of rain outs.

gauvin4
06-24-2009, 07:50 AM
I know that Minor League do this sometimes, but it is usually because of a rain out. Usually the next time they play they will make it a double header. If you have a ticket to the first game you are allowed to stay for the second game.

indytraveler
07-16-2009, 09:15 AM
The back to back doubleheaders went out with the last collective bargaining agreement in the mid '90's (after the strike). What they do now is the Day / Night doubleheader. Exactly what mludman said. It's all about the $$. Just think of it as a way to make twice as much in one day. They clear the park of everyone and a "new" crowd comes in later. The most recent was the Cubs / Cardinals on Sunday before the All Star break. Game in the afternoon and on Sunday night baseball ESPN.

I would say these are mostly caused by rainouts. Very few are actually schedulled.

barnaby
07-16-2009, 12:34 PM
On a side note, I used to love the doubleheaders as a kid (mid to late 80s) at the Vet in Philly. They used to have a couple of the retired players like Greg Luzinski and Dick Allen go head-to-head in a HR Derby.

I have always been a Red Sox fan and the Phillies were awful for those years, so the HR Derby was by far the highlight of the day.