PDA

View Full Version : August heat

Figment78
06-23-2009, 04:42 PM
So for those of you who brave the summer heat in WDW - is it really that much worse mid-August than it is mid-September?

I'd really like to take a real "Summer" vacation for a change, instead of always doing spring, fall or winter. I normally HATE being in the heat :-o, but DSister and I were talking about how, if we weren't planning to stand outside waiting for parades, but rather spend most of our time inside DHS & Epcot attractions, shopping in the World Showcase, having nice dinners wherever, taking advantage of later night hours and swimming/water parks - would it really be that bad to go in August? :cool:

Ok all you summer WDW travelers... share your experiences!

It'sWDW4me
06-23-2009, 05:02 PM
I most definitely hate the heat; I don't care to be outside in the summertime; and I've been to DW during the last week or two of August for the past three years! :mickey:

I live in eastern PA so by the time the mid to end of August rolls around my body is used to 90+ degree/humid (admittedly not as humid as FL) weather so there's no shock to the system due to climate change. My first trip, however, was in early March - going from 30 degrees/frigid/snowy garbage to 90+ degrees (it was 106 the day we left - 3/16/02) really killed me! I was a slug for the first two days until my blood started thinning out.

Anyway, we never had a problem in late August. We always drink lots of water and head indoors to a show/shop/meal/etc whenever possible. ;)

Figment78
06-23-2009, 05:13 PM
We're from western PA, so I know what you mean. We went in Feb of 07 and when we got back, our cars were covered in layers of ice and snow. What a shock to your system when you go back and forth between climes!

Strmchsr
06-23-2009, 05:14 PM
The heat is bad, yes, and it is worse in mid-August than mid-September, but it's the humidity MUCH more than the heat that is dangerous in WDW during August. Read today's weather forecast thread in this forum and I wrote a few reasons as to why it's dangerous and how you can combat that.

Gusgus
06-23-2009, 06:31 PM
It's hot. Plan your touring accordingly. In the middle of the day plan to have lunch, see shows that are air conditioned, go to long attractions that are air-conditioned (COP, universe of energy, etc), take a nap, go to the pool.

You have a great idea of shopping

Gusgus

faline
06-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I've been to Disney World when it's so cold you need winter coats and when it's so hot you could fry eggs on the sidewalk! If you truly hate heat, I'd suggest going at another time of year.

What works in Florida summer? Get to the parks early. Dring lots of water. Tour until about 2 p.m. and make sure you've booked a table service restaurant for about that time. Just about the time you've been seated, a big, violet thunderstorm will likely roll through. Aftter your meal in an air conditioned restaurant, the rain will be gone. Return to your resort and spend some time playing in the pool. Head back to your room for a quick nap, showers, and change. Now it is early evening and a bit cooler. Head back to your park of choice. Later in the evening, head to a late dinner.

Newbie0809
06-23-2009, 10:14 PM
We have been to Disney 3 previous times in August and going again this summer just because that's what works for our summer schedule. IF I was willing to pull kids out of school I'd preffer to go in early May. It does get VERY hot which really impacts the kids the most, they get hot and tired and get a little impatient waiting in lines(I suppose some adults too). Also, sometimes the MK is sometimes SO packed, that we've hopped over to Epcot and it's a nicer slower paced park. Just know your limits, you don't have to do everything the agenda says you need to do if you're going to be miserable. change things up if you need to, you may end up spending more time at the resort by the pool than you thought.

So my advice is to make sure you have ADRs for lunch so you can have a break and cool off in the AC. You might get a little more time at the park this way before a much needed pool break at your resort! Also, throw a water park visit a day or 2 into your trip.

Belster
06-23-2009, 10:37 PM
We have always done WDW in August until this past October. I will NEVER do August again. The heat is way too intense.:thedolls: It really is an individual preference.

DizneyRox
06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I've found the heat/humidity to be worse in July than August... August seemed like a pleasant spring day by comparison. It was probably more about the humidity than the heat however.

Maybe it was just the few times we went.

Giselle
06-24-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad new, but August in FL is misery, if you ask me. Hot and humid witj intense sun. Plus frequent rain and possible hurricanes. Also the parks are more crowded due to school being out. I'd wait til September (still pretty hot though) or Spring.

Figment78
06-24-2009, 06:33 PM
So specifically speaking, here are the tentative plans we were thinking for this trip:

Arrive late afternoon and check into beachclub. Unpack and head over to world showcase for dinner - chefs de france (hopefully). Wander world showcase.
Day 2-
Up early to mk to ride a few rides - like space mountain, etc and soak in atmosphere of mk in the am! then to waterpark until mid day. Back to hotel and then over to epcot in the evening for dinner hitting espn for a late night drink and sports watching (a tradition of dh and I).
Day 3 -
Morning at dhs (toy story mania, animation, tower of terror, rockin rollercoaster). Then back to the hotel to rest and change. Then shop at the monorail resorts before dinner at cali grill (I hope). Evening at mk for fireworks.
Day 4 -
Golf/spa/pool day. Evening dinner at epcot and time to ride soarin, test track etc
Day 5 -
Morning at epcot (love future world in the am!). Lunch at rose and crown. Late afternoon early evening at dhs for more tot and rnrc maybe fantasmic and shopping. Late snack at big river grille.
Day 6 -
Breakfast somewhere. Then leave :(

(Days may change to take advantage of park hours and emh)

Background: we were hoping to focus more on epcot and dhs and evening thngs during this trip because when we travel with ds (1) were at the hotel by 730 and do no shopping or "big" rides!

Ok plan for august? Or wait until fall again?

bruin1344
06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
i went in late august last year and doing it again this year. The heat doesnt bother much because its hot and humid in Boston same time of year. I even went to the parks during the midday when its real hot.

its hot and humid everyday and there was thunderstorms everyday but most of the time it was in the distance and not direct hits, when it was a direct hit, ive never seen so much lightning, they usually last no more than 10-20 minutes

MK and Epcot were fine during the hot weather because there were enough cool indoor attractions, restaurants, or shops close to each other.

DHS was ok but Indiana Jones and Lights Motors Action were unbearable to sit in. Not as many indoor attractions as MK or Epcot

AK was tough due to lack of indoor rides and its a large park.

pandkx3
06-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Just got back from 9 days in the "world". We had a great time, but, let me tell you...It was HOT! Most days were High 90's to 100 degrees. Now, I'm from southern Mississippi and am acustomed to heat (it was 103 when we got home)...but hot is hot and no one can take 100 degrees too long. I've never been to disney in August..we always go in June..however, in Mississippi August is our hottest month. So, just pace yourself, drink lots of water, apply lots on sunscreen, take naps in the hottest part of the day, and enjoy! You're in Disney World:thumbsup: