PDA

View Full Version : Did staying at a deluxe make you want to go back sooner (and stay at a del. again)??

Dsnygirl
06-23-2009, 11:58 AM
:mickey: Just a question for all you out there who were value or moderate resort people who then upgraded to a deluxe at some point...

... did that stay convince you to return to WDW sooner, and at a deluxe, or did you end up going back to a moderate and keeping to whatever was your normal trip interval?

We have stayed at both CBR and the value resorts, liked them both but preferred CBR w/ our girls for both the ambience as well as the larger room, refrigerators, coffee pots, double sinks, etc. (We stayed at a value alone, and I stayed at a value alone on a g'friends wknd trip)

We are doing a split stay in Oct., splitting our time b/w CBR and AKL, 5 nights each. Mostly, it is b/c we are celebrating our 15th anniversary, but also b/c my DH would really like to enjoy a true "resort" and the amenities there, and really get to relax there, as well. Somehow, having that balcony seems to give us the idea of more "down time" at night... tuck the girls in and enjoy a glass of wine out there, instead of crawling into bed exactly when they do. Plus, they seem to have a lot of fun things for the girls to do, and we're looking forward to just chilling out at the larger pool some, too.

We were talking about all this last night, and I said to my DH, "You know, this could be what convinces us to go deluxe again next time, and I bet we'll want to go back even sooner..." and he agreed, although he's always more on the fence about when to go back than I am, as he's not the spendthrift I can want to be. ;)

So - just curious -- what's been everyone's experience after having gone deluxe the first time?? :)

Dopey's Girl
06-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Staying deluxe did make me want to go back sooner (it really doesn't take much to convince me) but it also made me realize how much I loved the Moderate Resorts...my deluxe experience wasn't all it should have been, so I'm back to the Mods. The added expense of a deluxe ment that I had to take shorter trips. I would rather stay longer at a lesser resort any time!

wire0monkey
06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Nope.

I've stayed at a deluxe once. It was very nice, but I've stayed at a value since then.

tinksmom02
06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
I can't say, as we haven't stayed Deluxe (yet!), but I sure hope so. EVERY trip we take, I get the lecture from DH: "This is the last trip." So I just wait until he suggests it, and then I contact Terrisue at MJ so fast he doesn't even have time to backtrack! :o)

So maybe once we stay at the Poly, he'll save me the lecture and let me actually take advantage of a bounceback, should there be one (they've offered bouncebacks for the past 3 trips we've taken, but he wouldn't let me book).

jakeybake
06-23-2009, 12:59 PM
It depends on the Deluxe.

First off, I am already thinking about coming back about halfway through my current trip but lets put that aside for the moment.

We stayed at the WL and all I kept thinking while we were there was that I didn't find it that much better than POR. I really didn't. The food court was much worse, the rooms not much bigger and though the boat ride to MK was nice, the boat ride to DTD at POR was just as convenient for us.

Now that being said, we had the exact opposite reaction when we stayed at the Beach Club. My DW (who is a reluctant traveler at best) instantly fell in love with the place and said that she would never stay anywhere else again.

Now I'm the WDW nut of the family and as I mentioned, my wife not a travel nut at all but she loved the BC so much that she had us book a future trip at a bounceback rate before we left for home.

So IMHO it all depends on the resort.

Jay

BMan62
06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Not in the slightest.

I just can't see paying 3 - 5 times more for a Deluxe when we are not going to be in the room other than to sleep, shower, and dress.

We did stay at BWV for 3 nights in January, but were disappointed in the Studio. Loved the view and small balcony (where we took our coffee in the mornings,) but only paid Value room price. (We rented DVC points.) It did get us to stay in our room a bit longer in the mornings, but with more trips under our belt we tend to not worry about getting to the parks at rope drop anyway.

Yes, we did enjoy the proximity to Epcot and DHS, but not at the price it would be at rack rate, or 40% off when you still have to pay for all meals, or on the 'Free DDP' offer.

DANAM
06-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Honestly, NO.

My mother only stays at Deluxe, so as a child/teenager that's were I stayed.

My family just sleeps in our room and we may use the pool for an hour or so per trip. This doesn't justify the cost difference for us.

Now if we spent a couple of days by the pool then maybe but I doubt it. I think staying at the values allows us to go whenever we want. And even at the value we want to go back just as soon as we leave.

KatMark
06-23-2009, 04:11 PM
We started Deluxe -- CR and Poly, went to value (All Star Sports--NEVER again), went to moderate -- CSR, went back to Poly for a son's high school graduation and have since stayed back at our moderate -- CSR. We really don't have a huge desire to stay deluxe as the CSR offers everything we want in a resort and now with the queen beds, has a spa, sit down restaurant, etc., it has a lot of what a deluxe offers. Only because we had to cancel our trip this year, we plan on doing a split stay next year with a deluxe -- the AKL because I want a savannah view because I love animals (as does DH). We'll do AKL for four days and then CSR for the last five days. There is only one other deluxe we have a desire to stay in and that is the Beach Club many years down the road.

But it does not make us want to get back any faster...Disney does that itself.

PixieMagic
06-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Staying at a Deluxe convinced my family to not only keep coming back sooner, but also to stay on property...the convenience and magic is truly amazing and the service/amenities ... phenomenal!!! :cloud9:

VolMickey
06-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Yes. Never went back to another level, as yet. Still might in the future.

offwego
06-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Blythe,
Not really (assuming that going last october for a long weekend (deluxe) followed by a december trip (half value half deluxe) doesn't count (to be fair the december trip was long planned).
Personally we've bopped from value to deluxe to mod to deluxe to value to deluxe and in august will go back to value.
They all have great things (and we really loved AKL) and fun options (DS likes the Pop arcade for instance) and I don't feel that it pulled us back faster I think the AP was a far bigger factor.

figgie
06-24-2009, 08:58 AM
We love staying at a deluxe resort and really feel special when we do. For financial reasons we also don't mind staying at a moderate resort, many are wonderful. But you couldn't lure me into staying at a value resort. To many school groups! It is a great value if you need it for economy reasons or have large groups, but over all I find them noisey and disruptive. Guess I'm just more laid back and want a more relaxing environment.

TikiLounger
06-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Hmmmm...this is a very difficult question to answer. When I first read it, I was inclined to say no...I would stay anywhere as long as I got to be in Disney World. Then, I started thinking, staring at the list of resorts we've stayed at, and reflecting on each trip...in each resort. So, now that I've given it some thought...

After our first stay at a deluxe (the Poly on our "land" portion of our land and sea cruise), we were so in love with The Polynesian, that we vowed never to stay anywhere else. Then? in between trips, our thoughts changed. We decided we want to try as many resorts as we can. We really enjoyed the cabins, and we're booked at CSR for Jan 2010 because we need three rooms and, obviously, it makes more financial sense to stay at a moderate...so I guess it doesn't matter...it's whatever works for each individual trip. BTW, the CSR looks like an amazing place. I know we'll love it. My husband and I both love Epcot, so our stay at the Beach Club made us book another for his birthday and our anniversary in Sept/Oct. We can't wait to go to the Food and Wine festival and walk home to our resort. You can't beat the location.

So...back to the question. The deluxes are special, but we are always open to a different experience. It usually comes down to what our needs are for each trip.

Oh, and my daughter REALLY wants to try Pop Century so this is on the list for sometime in the future.

magicofdisney
06-24-2009, 09:27 AM
I stayed at a Deluxe once, for one night. It was very special, but in order for me to go back as often and as long as I like, I go with the values. That's my preference because I always want to return shortly after I've left. :mickey:

TikiLounger
06-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Sorry, but I didn't answer one of the original questions in my last post...

It definitely wouldn't make me go back sooner...I try to go as often as I can...I need no excuse to get me there.

BelleCiavo
06-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Once we went deluxe we never went back to value, we've never stayed at a moderate. And yeah, having the resort amenities does increase my desire to return more often, but the wallet and the dh aren't always willing. :shake:

Kisobel
06-25-2009, 07:22 AM
you're just looking for an excuse to start thinking about the next vacation. :thumbsup: i know you. you and i both know that unless you get a pin code out of this world you can't justify staying at the deluxes. we're frugal.:blush: if we weren't i would have booked the beach club by now. on a different note- i am looking into upgrading to a moderate for my dec trip. yes i know i'm crazy.

kate

queenstorm24
06-25-2009, 08:16 AM
I am glad that I reviewed this thread. My question was similiar since I already have a reservation at CBR and was thinking about changing to the Beach Club. Reading this thread it does not seem that it is going to be worth the additional $1000.

Dsnygirl
06-25-2009, 09:06 AM
you're just looking for an excuse to start thinking about the next vacation. :thumbsup: i know you. you and i both know that unless you get a pin code out of this world you can't justify staying at the deluxes. we're frugal.:blush: if we weren't i would have booked the beach club by now. on a different note- i am looking into upgrading to a moderate for my dec trip. yes i know i'm crazy.

kate
:D You know me too well... like I need any reason to start looking at that next trip!! :blush: But I am just hoping beyond hope that my DH falls in love with the relaxation of being at AKL... he loves Disney, no matter what, but he would really like some serious relaxing and downtime, both at the room and at the resort, and I think this will be just the ticket. (no pun intended, honest) Dashing back to our room at CBR, as wonderfully relaxing as the ambience of the resort is, to just change and/or sleep, got old for him after 7 or 8 days. He wanted to kick back and put his feet up for a bit, wander down to a lounge, hear some music, let the kids go off for an activity and/or have a drink, sit by the pool w/o it being so far from "home", that sort of thing. Not that you can't do that at a moderate - you surely can, and we love CBR's pool - but I have a feeling this will be more what he's looking for. Definitely not on an "every trip" basis, but this split stay thing could be it... :thumbsup:

Familyof4
06-25-2009, 09:40 AM
I will let you know. We are staying Deluxe this time and have always stayed at Moderate. My DH is sick of always having to take the buses with...now 3 kids. We are staying at teh COntemporary--not my first choice, but closet to MK.

renecat
06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Have always stayed moderate until Dec. 2008. Stayed at G.F. going in Sept. with my sister we were going to stay at POFQ then my cousin decided to come along. So we moved to the Poly. When I contacted my T.A. and got pricing she even said to me I can tell you really want to stay on the monorail. You know she was correct. I finally admitted to myself and went for it. I always want to go back so I really can't say the resort has anything to do with it.
coronda spring
french quarters
caribean beach
grand floridian
many trips off property.:cloud9:

TheDuckRocks
06-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Staying deluxe did make me want to go back sooner (it really doesn't take much to convince me) but it also made me realize how much I loved the Moderate Resorts...my deluxe experience wasn't all it should have been, so I'm back to the Mods. The added expense of a deluxe ment that I had to take shorter trips. I would rather stay longer at a lesser resort any time!

Wait a minute! Did I just write this? That is exactly what happened to us and how we feel about staying at the moderates.

yasmina
06-25-2009, 11:58 AM
POFQ has become our home.

Our first stay as a family was at the BWI. We got upgraded upon check-in to concierge level, which was very nice.

However, when we stayed at POFQ 2 years ago, we just felt so comfortable. As you can see from my sig, we've also stayed at the GF & SSR. When we checked into the FQ last Friday, I just felt so relaxed, like all the adrenaline drained from me. Don't get me wrong, we liked SSR, but for several reasons, stated in another post, we won't stay there again.

So to answer your question - no. Staying at a deluxe has not altered our plans. Unless we get some sort of impossible-to-resist deal (like we did for SSR. 5 days in a 1 br villa for $500), we will always stay at POFQ.

WorldTraveler
06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Our daughter is almost 20 and has been to WDW about 25 times. Usually stayed at moderates (tried them all) Had opportunity to do Wilderness Lodge a few times, Boardwalk, Poly and Beach Club once each. Even stayed in a Treehouse in 1996 before she was born.
Each resort is different and offers different things no matter what catagory the resort is. For example, our daughter's first water slides were at the Wildernss Lodge and what was called Dixie Landings. Later, we had the trip to the Boardwalk but found the favorite pool to be at Riverside.
Finally we had the chance to buy at Beach Club and were able to do it. Storm-along-bay has been so much fun. That being said, as DVC members with only a few points, we enjoy most Villas but there are a couple of places that we will not go back to. Recently we stayed at POP as we were out of points. Would stay at a moderate any day but did not enjoy the crowds at POP.
Wilderness Lodgde and Beach Club are our favorite places and we streatch our points to get as many nights per year as possible using studios.
I tell you all this because as a DVC member, it allows us to stay at the delux resorts and we really love them but in the future when paying will only consider moderate resorts.
One final thought, we do not spend much time in our rooms and never look for perfered views. We pick our resort by the features of the resort and not by the room.
Each

Septbride2002
06-25-2009, 12:21 PM
My husband prefers the deluxe resorts - I can stay anywhere as long as I'm going to Disney. But for my DH I make the sacrifice to staying in deluxe :cool:

He also likes being close to the parks - and I think that is his biggest draw. We like AKL and WL but we won't stay there because there isn't easy access to the parks. Monorail resorts or Epcot resorts are for us - we don't like waiting for buses.

~Amanda

twinboyz
06-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Always want to go back to WDW before we even go back home..but life gets in the way! DARN!

Loved staying at the Deluxe Resort, but felt more at home at the Moderate Resorts. We're not at the resort enough to warrant the extra expense. I think the $$ would shorten the stay and I'd rather stay longer.:mickey:

Hull-onian
06-25-2009, 06:22 PM
We like POFQ. It works for us. However, we do visit, the Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Contemporary, the Poly. We dine at all these places and really enjoy it.:thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Yes, it does make you want to stay deluxe again, after the GF, I confess I could get real used to that!:blush: Loved the AKL, too, and swore upon leaving that I was coming back. Contemporary was nice, but a long time ago--I'd love to try it again.
CBR is my favorite moderate, but I'll still do the values if it means going sooner!

Mickey'sGirl
06-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Honestly Blythe -- it all depends.

Both our BEST Disney stay (The Boardwalk Inn) and our WORST Disney stay (Wilderness Lodge) were at Deluxe resorts. I think it all depends on what's going on -- Whether you received courteous service, if the rooms were clean, if the weather was good, if your family was cranky, if you had a too long stay or a too short stay, if transportation was easy....there are sooo many factors that can affect your stay.

We have had stellar stays at all levels of Disney hotels ..what really has impacted the frequency in which we visit is whether we have APs or not. It is just sooooo easy to book a holiday when the tickets are already covered. :thumbsup:

Mitzie
06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Hey interested to see how your trip goes in Oct. We are also doing split between AKL and CRB. On our last trip we started at POR in the AB section and then moved to BC. I loved POR. BC was just ok for us. We have never stayed at a value because of the over the top themeing. My husband just wants a break from all the character stuff when he is away from the parks. It is not that we have to stay just deluxe or just mod. I hope to see all the resorts some day in those catagories. Already have plans to do a split between Poly and CRS on the next trip.

jakeybake
06-26-2009, 09:51 AM
My advice with a split stay is to always do the deluxe resort last.

If you do the deluxe resort first you risk being very disappointed and longing for your deluxe resort about 2 hours into your stay.

I always joke with my DW about how lucky we were to stay at the CB the first week and the GF the second week on our honeymoon back in 1991. I can just imagine how bummed out we would of been had the resort stays been reversed.

Jay

Dsnygirl
06-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey interested to see how your trip goes in Oct. We are also doing split between AKL and CRB.
That's so cool! I always do trip reports, so watch for them in early November and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. :) We are so excited... well, right now, I am so excited, my DH doesn't usually get to the excited point until about a week before the trip. I'm always doing the "120 days"... "99 days".... "48 days" thing, and he just rolls his eyes and smiles. :rolleyes:
We're really hoping it goes smoothly, but from everything I've ready from other folks who've done it, as long as you're prepared to either hang out at your resort and wait for your room, or are willing to leave your luggage w/ the concierge if you want a park day that day, it should be fine.
Can't wait!! :blush:

My advice with a split stay is to always do the deluxe resort last.

If you do the deluxe resort first you risk being very disappointed and longing for your deluxe resort about 2 hours into your stay.

I always joke with my DW about how lucky we were to stay at the CB the first week and the GF the second week on our honeymoon back in 1991. I can just imagine how bummed out we would of been had the resort stays been reversed.
Jay
That's exactly what we thought... as much as we love CBR, I knew if we went from the larger room and balcony, different amenities and such at AKL to CBR second, we'd probably end up missing AKL and our time at CBR wouldn't be as special. For me, checking in at CBR is like coming home... but I'm really excited to be trying AKL, too. :D

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-27-2009, 01:52 PM
My first stay on property was a deluxe, the Beach Club. It didn't make me want to go back sooner. However it did make me wish that my DH's company was cheap and would give pay raises. Hopefully one day we'll stay in a deluxe again. Right now it's just more important that I can make a trip every year to WDW.

Mitzie
06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
That's so cool! I always do trip reports, so watch for them in early November and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. We are so excited...

I will be sure to keep an eye out...so fun.:mickey:

Our last trip also was a split starting at POR and moving to BC. I found myself missing POR! This trip we are starting at AKL club level because DH want to do the Sunrise Safari and it only runs on a Sunday or Thurs. so AKL is at the front on the trip with us ending at CBR. Based on my last trip I don't think I will be let down at CRB after being at AKL. The way I look at it...each resort is new and fun in it's own way. Go into each with their own set of expectations and enjoy!

DlandMommy
07-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Last may we stayed at all stars and had no problem with it;)then this past January we stayed at contemporary and loved it but said we would have no problem going back>>>>>well 7 months later we just couldnt do it:blush:Next month were staying at Yacht club:party:

jonahbear2006
07-11-2009, 12:20 AM
made me never want to leave disney ever. ever. i prefer camping or deluxe. one end or the other.

phlo8810
07-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Our thoughts were always that our room was only a place to sleep. Then we stayed at the Boardwalk last december and that has changed, and the fact that it was our first trip with kids helped change it . The conveinence of the boardwalk IMO makes it worth every penny. We went back in april just the two of us for a long weekend and stayed at SSR. Never again, Too big, too much of a hassle to get places and we ended up at the boardwalk every nite wishing we were there. With kids any of the epcot/magic kingdom resorts are great for relaxing and taking breaks. We booked a trip for november at the boardwalk again and can't wait. I guess what makes it for me is conveinence which values don't offer.

SBETigg
07-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I am glad that I reviewed this thread. My question was similiar since I already have a reservation at CBR and was thinking about changing to the Beach Club. Reading this thread it does not seem that it is going to be worth the additional $1000.

I think it's abundantly worth it, but the question was for people who started at value/mod then maybe tried deluxe, so I didn't answer and I suspect a lot of the deluxe fans didn't answer.

I started deluxe, went to moderate, and then decided it was worth not going as often just to have the deluxe visit I prefer. We go every two years. I enjoy the resort as much as I enjoy the parks and a Disney vacation for me is like having the best of both worlds-- a fun park vacation and a relaxing resort vacation all in one. I could never think of the resort as just a room, a place to shower and sleep. It's a big part of my vacation, and therefore worth the price. Plus, the location means a lot to me. When I stayed at POR, it was nice but didn't feel like Disney. I like being right around the MK, or Epcot.

If you're of the mentality that it's just a place to shower and sleep and you don't feel any extra magic by being closer to the parks, then it's probably not worth it to you.

LibertyTreeGal
07-11-2009, 08:08 PM
We save longer and go to a Deluxe, we love the convenience and the theming! :thumbsup:

alaMode
07-11-2009, 09:45 PM
IMO, the WDW deluxe resorts are more like the moderate hotels you'd find anywhere else. We enjoyed our 2 stays at the Poly, but we weren't bowled over by any aspect of our time spent there. I liked the convenience of the monorail, but we still had to take busses to DHS and AK. I didn't feel it was a good value for the money spent.

On our last trip we stayed at Pop and loved it! Lots of energy, open-ended fun at the pools, a much better counter-service area, and towel animals for the first time ever! This time I did feel we got our money's worth and then some...

We had such great time for such a great price that we'll be taking two trips to WDW this year, instead of our usual one.

For us, the VALUES made us want to visit more often!

Tess
poly07
poly08
pop09
pop 09--December and free dining!

Mickey91
07-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Wow. We pretty much stay where we can afford at the time we go. Sometimes we are able to swing deluxe and sometimes a moderate. Usually we stay at the Pop Century. We love it and have no problems with it at all. The deluxe do spoil you with different ammenities. Our DS likes the day beds as he can have his own bed. We enjoy the "USA Today" etc. And the kids and I love the water slides. The biggest perk, and this is only for the three deluxe on the monorail, is the monorail access to MK and EPCOT. WL has a nice boat service to MK. And the EPCOT resorts have a the friendship boats for EPCOT and DHS. But, the bus service doesn't seem as good because there aren't as many paople needing the busses at the deluxe resorts.

It is mostly a give and take. I think you just need to decide what you really want to experience this time around. All the resorts have their good and bad points. We are usually just thrilled we get to go and any upgrade on resort level is a bonus.

Have a great trip whatever you decide!:mickey:

Mickey91
07-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Honestly Blythe -- it all depends.

Both our BEST Disney stay (The Boardwalk Inn) and our WORST Disney stay (Wilderness Lodge) were at Deluxe resorts. I think it all depends on what's going on -- Whether you received courteous service, if the rooms were clean, if the weather was good, if your family was cranky, if you had a too long stay or a too short stay, if transportation was easy....there are sooo many factors that can affect your stay.

We have had stellar stays at all levels of Disney hotels :thumbsup:

So true. We have had an over the top stay at WL where we fell in love with it and our next trip to WL had to be split with a stay at the Pop Century because the second half our stay WL was completely booked. Needless to say, we enjoyed the Pop better that year. From everything beginning with courtesy / respect and helpfulness from the front desk to Mousekeeping and great holiday spirit and bus service. That week, the staff at the Pop way out performed the one at WL. So, we have had one of our best and our worst experience at WL, a deluxe.

Marymouse2003
07-12-2009, 02:23 AM
I must admit, I'm a "spoiled" CR gal........but ala I'm @ WDW.....I'll stay wherever...ALA I get 2 go...I'm leaning 2wards POFQ.....I think, I'd like the theme & I've heard it's smaller and quieter.

Mousemates
07-13-2009, 01:05 PM
we have really enjoyed all the deluxes we've stayed at...but we've also really enjoyed all the moderates and all the values as well...not sure that our stays at the deluxes made us want to go back any quicker...but I do know the costs of the values allow us to actually go back quicker.

LauraF
07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
I've stayed at a few deluxes, and most of them seemed a bit too over the top for my trip style (i.e. the room is for sleeping and showering). I really am low-maintence on vacation and just want a quiet, comfy and well-maintained place to sleep and hold all my stuff. Anything else is just a bonus. But that's my style.

If money were no object I would always stay at a deluxe resort, but given the choice of staying an extra few days at WDW and be at a moderate or staying at a deluxe for less time, I'd go for the longer trip.

TripPlanner09
07-13-2009, 01:59 PM
For us, it would not be a Disney vacation with out staying at the Polynesian. Since we've been to WDW so many times, it's really not about the parks now- of course we go to all the parks in the early mornings/evenings, but we'd be pretty miserable if we didn't have our down time lounging around the resort- spending a couple hours by the pool, listening to that relaxing tropical music on the beach, looking at the castle while hearing the Haunted Mansion wolf howl/the train whistle...I could go on :blush:

The transportation options are the best on property in our opinion, it's home to our favorite restaurant (Kona!) and basically it's right in the middle of the Disney magic.

I agree with those who have said it's about your vacation style- if we were just going to sleep and shower in our room, then a Value would totally work. But, we love taking advantage of the location, theming, and amenities of the Poly- and hearing "Aloha!" every time we pass a CM :mickey: It's definitely more about quality then quantity when it comes to our trips!

Maryln8
07-13-2009, 11:32 PM
I can't wait to go back . It doesn't matter where we stay but it has to be on property. We've stayed at values,mods,and deluxe. They all have their good and bad points. If you are never in the room :mickey:or never take advantage of the pool ,stay at a value. If you have more time and relaxing is in your plans pick a mod or deluxe.

lockedoutlogic
07-13-2009, 11:37 PM
I would say that cost has nothing to do with it....

it would be whether or not the place was put together well and if the atmosphere holds....

For instance, Boardwalk is great....but doesn't make me yearn to go back...

Port Orleans kinda does....

The Grand Flo doesn't.....Wilderness Lodge does...

it's favorites, surprises, comfort that probably kicks the mind into daydream mode at work

Imagineer1981
07-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Beach Club and Poly would be our homes away from home if we could every trip. Even the moderates do not compare to the Deluxe resorts. Moderates are ok, but Deluxe really make me feel relaxed and comfortable!

Sneaky Pete
07-14-2009, 06:55 PM
am frankly happy to stay at a value and save money. Sadly, my DW has become an admitted hotel snob and she much prefers a Deluxe when possible so we booked 2 rooms at WL (our fav) instead of going with a FW cabin this year.

Without the 40% off PIN, I wouldn't have been able to go this route.:party:

Dsnygirl
07-14-2009, 09:44 PM
I would say that cost has nothing to do with it....

it would be whether or not the place was put together well and if the atmosphere holds....

For instance, Boardwalk is great....but doesn't make me yearn to go back...

Port Orleans kinda does....

The Grand Flo doesn't.....Wilderness Lodge does...

it's favorites, surprises, comfort that probably kicks the mind into daydream mode at work
Perfectly put.... having only stayed on-site 4x's so far, we definitely can't say anywhere is "home" -- but that being said, even the second time we checked in at CBR, it did feel like we had come home... we just love the feel, the ambience of the place. Maybe it's because it's the first resort we stayed at and thus the memories are even more special... maybe it's b/c our honeymoon was tropical and it reminds us of the tropics... but for whatever reason, it works for us.

I've also stayed at the values twice - alone and with my DH - and had no complaints there, either - it still felt like Disney, although I'm not sure it couldn't with all the themeing!!

So, I'll be curious to see if AKL "feels" like Disney to us -- I sure hope so, we've wanted to stay there for so long. But certain places will certainly "say Disney" to different people, for a whole variety of reasons, and it's whatever creates that magic that brings us back.

I think we're really looking forward to what a bunch of deluxe fans have stated they love about their resorts... the ability to really enjoy the resort as part of their vacation, to be able to kick back outside of the parks and have their resort be as special a part of their trip as the parks are. I hope that's what we find!!

And :thanks: to everyone for all their input - this has really turned into an interesting thread to follow!! :thumbsup:

megustamex
07-15-2009, 12:43 AM
We always bounce back and forth between AKL and the All-Stars every other trip. We love AKL - it is our favorite resort - but last time we went with our kids we realized that we were in the room so little that it really wasn't worth the money. And our kids are only 4 and 2...but they wanted to hit the parks even more than we did. We thought we would sit around and relax on the balcony, hang at the pool, but all we wanted to do was go to the parks. So this time we're back to the values again. The luxury is, of course, wonderful at the deluxe resorts, but we always leave feeling like we didn't even take advantage of the resort because we were out at the parks all day.
Also, there is something really fun about the All-Stars that makes you feel like you are staying in the theme park. I guess that is the great thing about Disney hotels - because they all have such unique themes, you can have a variety of experiences. That said, I know that my husband would love to stay at the deluxe every time - I'm just happy to go to Disney more often.