PDA

View Full Version : Is there really anything that I would be interested in if I did a Disney Cruise?

Lakin
06-22-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm 13, but I'm one of those people that want to experience things and relax at the same time. But, it seems as though all the quiet areas are limited to the adults and that all the teenager areas are, well, dancy and club-y. That's not really my thing. . . and the kids areas seem too - kiddy.

Is there really anything that you think I'd be interested in? I hear they have some shows there and stuff, but anything else? I'm just thinking if I should splurge and try a Disney cruise now, or wait till I'm older.

And, it seems as though all of the cruise activities separate everyone into kid, teen, and adult when my family likes to spend time together. Are there many family activities?

Scar
06-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I assume your talking about “on ship” activities? Because at the ports of call there are all kinds of excursions or just normal things any family would do on vacation. “On ship” there are things like ping pong and shuffleboard. I’m sure there are other family activities, but none that I did. If you’re afraid of being board, I would recommend a 3 or 4 night instead of 7 night cruise.

As far as the adult pool on the ship, I saw a few teenagers younger than 18 there. They were quiet and acting like adults and nobody seemed to care. No one was checking ID.

I hope I’m not embarrassing you, but it is refreshing to see a 13 year old posting in a clear and concise manner, using correct capitalization and punctuation. :thumbsup:

Lakin
06-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Hehe, not embarrassing at all. It annoys me when 'ppl tlk lke tis' so I always make sure to use proper grammar. Thanks for the :thumbsup:.

Hmm, ping pong and shuffleboard sound fun. A 3-4 night cruise sounds cool. Thanks! And, I'm surprised they let people under 18 in. I figured they'd have people assigned just for checking ID's.

TammiMcMan
06-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Disney does offer separate activities, as there are a number of people who cruise without kids and many kids who like some time away from family ;). That being said, there are just as many family activities offered throughout the day. It all depends on what length cruise you pick, but there are sports things, family trivia games, family dance time, movie theatre and on deck movies, etc.

In regards to the adult areas, I think security might vary by cruise. When my husband and I sailed alone, we spent alot of time at the adult pool and there was a CM who would come through. They didn't stop any kids who had come by to talk to their parents, but they did ask kids to leave who were just sitting around by the pool and in the lounge chairs.

ElenitaB
06-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I just consulted with my DS, who's also 13, and who's cruised twice already (a 3 night and a 4 night). During our last cruise he made friends (boys and girls) onboard and they went to the kid's club together (he wasn't old enough yet for the teen club). They went to several movies, played basketball, visited the arcade several times, hung out by the pool, played ping pong, etc. In fact, I rarely saw him.

It might be best to try out a shorter cruise first to see if you and your folks like the experience.

Imalismom
06-26-2009, 08:47 PM
If you are a quiet type person, and don't care for much in the way of crowds and noise, may I suggest reading a really good book?

There are several places on the ship that have very nice chairs in quieter places that you can crawl up with a good book.

If you have a cabin with a balcony - you could copy my favorite thing to do - sit out there and read and nap and enjoy the ocean air.

As for things to do with the family, the last Disney cruise my daughter and I went on, they had family fun things planned in the morning and the evening. I remember having the most fun with my then 13 year just doing those activites.

If you really want to go on a disney cruise, I'd show your mom and dad your post, and perhaps that might open up some conversation on a cruise for you in the future. My DD babysat all last summer so she could help pay for part of the cruise we are taking soon. Perhaps you could possibly offer to help pay, just as my daughter did.

crazypoohbear
07-02-2009, 01:16 AM
There is plenty for you to do that isn't loud and dancy. You might even surprise yourself and get involved in some of the group things.
The best part is you can partake in as much or as little as you want.
I think you will have a great time and you should go and enjoy.
You can always sit on the promanade deck and read or just watch for dolphins :)

thejens
07-02-2009, 11:16 PM
I am a Mom and our family likes to do everything together too. We had a great time on the cruise. Our kids 5 and 11 enjoyed the kids clubs on some evenings, but together we could swim at the family pool (I admit it is the smallest and least interesting) we attended some of the activities offered Who wants to be a Mouseketeer trivia night, art classes, etc. We had all of our meals together. We did play ping pong and just sit on the deck and watch the ocean. The Pirate night was family friendly (but too late for our little one.) The teen club actually looked like a cool place to hang out and not just clubby/dancy. The kids enjoyed the arcade. The evening shows were great for the whole family. We loved walking around the ship and seeing the characters. Of course the ports of call were awesome family times. I do think the family pool is the weakest part of the ship. Hope this helps.

Lakin
07-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Wow, so many great suggestions! I think I'll try talking to my parents about a 3/4 night cruise. Thanks everyone. :)