PDA

View Full Version : Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (opens March 5, 2010)

MegaDisney
07-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Am I the only one that didn't know Tim Burton is making a live action Alice in Wonderland?

I cannot wait! 2010 release, filming now.

Here is the IMDB link: Alice in Wonderland (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014759/)

WDWFREAK101
07-25-2008, 09:06 PM
As if Alice In Wonderland wasn't creepy enough....

I'm not much of a Burton fan, unless Johnny Depp is in his work! I feel that a string of freaky films by a quirky director doing a Disney classic is interesting. :wait: The only 3 movies of his that I liked were the least darkerst films of his career (except Sweeny Todd) Those films were...

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Edward Scissorhands and
Sweeny Todd

I think that Tim Burton is a GENIUS at what he does but I just don't like what he does. It is WAY too dark and morbid for my taste.

baldburke
07-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Tim Burton and Alice and Wonderland? Wow, how'd we miss that? That should be great.

WDWFreak, you were all over the place. First you said you didn't like him, then you said you like Sweeney Todd, then you called him a genius. I didn't mean yo question your post to please don't take offense, it just seemed odd.

What's not to like about Tim Burton? So many classics like Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and Sleepy Hallow.

MegaDisney
07-25-2008, 10:09 PM
The only 2 movie of his that I liked were the least darkerst films of his career. Those films were...
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and
Edward Scissorhands
I did however enjoy Sweeny Todd which had to have been his darkest.

I think Charlie and Edward were VERY dark, maybe not in set lighting but in content. Charlie was just plain CREEPY!

I am a big fan of Big Fish if you haven't seen it you should check it out.

Minnie Imagineer
07-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I am SO excited for this! Alice in Wonderland is my favorite disney movie!!!!
I wonder if Johnny Deep is playing the mad hatter!
:hatter:

:ccat:

WDWFREAK101
07-26-2008, 01:27 PM
WDWFreak, you were all over the place. First you said you didn't like him, then you said you like Sweeney Todd, then you called him a genius. I didn't mean yo question your post to please don't take offense, it just seemed odd.

When I said that I liked Sweeny Todd, I meant that I liked the movie, I'm still not much of a fan as other people are. When I called him a genius, he really IS a genius at what he does otherwise his movies wouldn't be successful and people wouldn't like him. I just don't like some of his stuff. I don't see how I was all over the place.

Charlie and Edward were dark but not as dark comparing to his other stuff.

Maybe I'm looking into this with farther depth but I can't relate to Beetlejuice as well as I can with say, Peter Pan. Sweeny Todd has an acceptable plot. It made sense, a person who was wrongfully accused is thrown in jail and his family is killed and he seeks out revenge. A perfect plot! It make sense, I don't like to watch a movie where creatures just come out of nowhere and then a bunch of random stuff happens.

Some people like that, I don't. He is a GENIUS at what he does otherwise his movies wouldn't be successful and people wouldn't like him. I just don't like his work as much as other people do. Remember I did like Sweeny Todd and I did enjoy Batman, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Edward Scissorhands. Yes they were all dark but not as dark as say, Corpse Bride or Beetlejuice or The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Redoing a classic Disney film with all the wonder and Imagination (Yes I know, Alice In Wonderland was a really dark story before Disney came in and made it a little more happier) and giving it to Tim Burton, he will just give us a dark, creepy land with a bunch of scary creatures which don't get me wrong, it might work. Look at Pan's Labyrinth. That film was FREAKY! But I loved it! It is a great movie but absolutly bizarre!
Look at the innocent Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. A CLASSIC FILM! I LOVE IT! Charlie and the chocolate factory came out and it was darker and freakier then the magical Willy Wonka. Alice In Wonderland is going to make a BUNCH of money only because of Tim Burton. I wouldn't mind this if it was happening with another director but now I find out that it is being directed by the same person who did Sweeny Todd where a barbder kills people and blood is spilled all over the floor and then bodies are sold in pies. (Which was a good movie because it made sense. It made a lot more sense then Beetlejuice where a couple dies and then a bunch of weird stuff happens.)

Redoing it with a Tim Burton twist might be good but I'm not looking forward to it unless Johnny Depp is in it. If that guy is in it then you can forget every word I just said! :D I'll have to make my final judgement when I see it.

PirateLover
07-26-2008, 07:09 PM
First things first, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a 19th century novel written by Lewis Carroll, NOT an original Disney creation. True, most are only familiar with the cartoon, but this is not a "remake," it's just a different adaptation. It was the same thing with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... "Willy Wonka" was a fairly non-faithful adaptation of the book that shared the name of Burton's adaptation, which also took liberties but was slightly more faithful.

Now, onto Burton. I like Burton 9 times out of 10. I didn't like Beetlejuice or Corpse Bride, but I've liked everything else. Nightmare is one of my all time favorites.

Young@Heart
07-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Well, Sweeney Todd is based on a story written in the 1800's, and then of course it was made into a Broadway musical, so that can't be placed on Tim Burton's shoulders. :mickey:

And Alice in Wonderland is actually a dark tale (especially if you read about Lewis Carroll) to begin with, and Through the Looking Glass is darker still. I have to admit that, while it is my favorite Disney movie w/ my favorite characters, it's really because of the book. I read the book (both parts) when I was 10 and fell in love with it. I didn't see the Disney movie until after this. So to me, AIW exists as an entity outside of the Disney realm.

I think Tim Burton will do a great job presenting another view of this classic story. I'm really looking forward to seeing it! :thumbsup:

J9
07-26-2008, 08:31 PM
If y'all are interested in a dark retelling of the Alice stories (but not TOO TOO dark!), I suggest checking out "The Looking Glass Wars" and "Seeing Redd" by Frank Beddor. They're really good (especially the first one!) They're also supposed to be making a 3rd, and I think a 4th book as well.

Now in regard to this movie business, I have to admit I'm not a big Tim Burton fan either. I liked Big Fish which is probably the least Burton of the Burton movies. I also like Nightmare, but more for the music and the fact that it's really one of the only non-scary kid-friendly Halloween movies out there. However, I think I can see him doing Alice really well. And I agree that Johnny Depp would be a FANTASTIC mad hatter!!

MinnieMommie
07-26-2008, 09:47 PM
I think the Carroll novel is amazingly creative and I think Burton is a good match to direct a movie based on this novel. The casting should be interesting. :mickey:

WDWFREAK101
07-26-2008, 10:14 PM
And I agree that Johnny Depp would be a FANTASTIC mad hatter!!

Wait, Johnny Depp will be in this? If he is in it then forget everything I just said! I LOVE JOHNNY DEPP!!!! :D One of my favorite actors. It doesn't surprise me if he was going to be in it anyway considering the fact that Burton and Depp made like 8 films together.

J9
07-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Wait, Johnny Depp will be in this? If he is in it then forget everything I just said! I LOVE JOHNNY DEPP!!!! :D One of my favorite actors. It doesn't surprise me if he was going to be in it anyway considering the fact that Burton and Depp made like 8 films together.

Whoa, whoa! Hold on a second there, tiger!!! LOL!

We don't know who the cast is yet! We're just speculating!!! (But I agree, given their histories it wouldn't be a surprise AT ALL if Mr. Depp was in the film!)

Minnie Imagineer
07-26-2008, 11:00 PM
I am SO excited for this! Alice in Wonderland is my favorite disney movie!!!!
I wonder if Johnny Deep is playing the mad hatter!
:hatter:

:ccat:

sorry, I think I started a rumor that JD was actually in the movie-we don't know yet!
Can't wait for this movie!!

citizensnoopy
07-27-2008, 12:33 AM
I can't wait for this!! :D

Melanie
07-27-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm kind of eh on Tim Burton's style (don't love it, don't hate it), but Alice seems perfect for him. Should be interesting.

OhToodles!
07-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Can't wait either! Love most Tim Burton movies (haven't seen them all, but have liked what I have seen) and Alice!

J9
07-29-2008, 06:15 PM
FYI "Confirmed" today by Ain't It Cool Movie News...

Johnny Depp = Mad Hatter

Just thought you all might like to know!

TINKinTX
09-17-2008, 03:20 AM
I can't wait!!! I love Alice in Wonderland and just loved the Grand Floridian because of it.

Disney Doll
09-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks for posting this. I really like Tim Burton and this sounds like a great project for him. I can't wait!!

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Let me just say, I CANNOT WAIT!!!! Tim Burton and Danny Elfman... Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter... This is going to be huge...

Check out this link for some Alice art...

Burton's Wonderland (http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-06-21-alice-in-wonderland_N.htm)

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2009, 07:14 PM
There are also pictures of Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter, Helena Bonham Carter as Red Queen, Anne Hathaway as White Queen, as well as Alice and Dweedledee and Dweedle Dum... I really cannot wait for this movie.. Opening night for me...

cubbie
06-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Banners are now up for this at a local movie theatre. I have to say that Johnny Depp looks creepy, and his fingernails are kind of gross. Just like Burton, Depp goes all out for the roles he takes. This could be interesting. March 5, 2010 is the release date on the banners.

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2009, 11:59 PM
I am wondering if the mods could maybe post the pictures of the characters in here or are they too creepy looking?? Cause, in true Tim Burton style, they are creepy...

NotaGeek
06-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Here are the first look pics...

Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter
Anne Hathaway as The White Queen
Helena Bonham Carther as The Red Queen
Matt Lucas as Tweedledee and Tweedledum

GothMickey
06-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Here are the first look pics...

Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter
Anne Hathaway as The White Queen
Helena Bonham Carther as The Red Queen
Matt Lucas as Tweedledee and Tweedledum

Interesting. Typical Tim Burton style. I'll be seeing this when it opens next year.

Melanie
06-23-2009, 03:06 PM
:unsure:

disneycutie165
06-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Whoa, whoa! Hold on a second there, tiger!!! LOL!

We don't know who the cast is yet! We're just speculating!!! (But I agree, given their histories it wouldn't be a surprise AT ALL if Mr. Depp was in the film!)

ok wait! it has been confirmed that johnny depp WILL play the mad hatter because he has spoken about it himself.

p.s.- he has also confirmed that pirates 4 is already in the works & he has been offered 2 come back & play jack!

NotaGeek
06-25-2009, 10:26 PM
ok wait! it has been confirmed that johnny depp WILL play the mad hatter because he has spoken about it himself.

p.s.- he has also confirmed that pirates 4 is already in the works & he has been offered 2 come back & play jack!
I just posted pics of Johnny Depp AS the Mad Hatter. Scroll up. :thumbsup:

J9
06-27-2009, 09:13 AM

It's been confirmed now, but not when the post originally started. :D

I was excited to hear about Pirates 4, but I'm probably in the minority that thinks that Will/Elizabeth's story was the more interesting part of the franchise. I loved the Jack Sparrow character, but I felt very little of the storyline depended on him. I don't know how a Jack-only Pirates would hold up. I hope I'm wrong though!

GothMickey
07-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Trailer is up online. The movie looks really good. I cannot wait to see it. This will be one awesome movie.

NotaGeek
07-24-2009, 12:58 PM
They release some new pics ...

LibertyTreeGal
07-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I saw the 3D trailer today before G-Force

Un-buh-lee-va-bul

DizneyFreak2002
07-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Just watched the trailer online... WOW!!! Counting down to the release a year early!!!!

murphy1
07-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I can't wait!! Ever since I heard Depp was in it, I have been super excited! I am already planning a special Alice outfit to make for my daughter with a bunch of vintage Alice fabric:)

RedSoxFan
07-26-2009, 01:15 PM
DH and I watched the trailer this morning. It looks awesome.

Disneypixie513
07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
When I first heard that Burton was doing it, I was sketchy about it, but after watching the trailer; Man I can't wait to see it! I think it will be very out there, but i think it will work. And I'm sure Johnny Depp will be AH-mazing as usual!

DizneyFreak2002
07-27-2009, 11:23 PM
When I first heard that Burton was doing it, I was sketchy about it, but after watching the trailer; Man I can't wait to see it! I think it will be very out there, but i think it will work. And I'm sure Johnny Depp will be AH-mazing as usual!

Depp and Burton together is ALWAYS amazing...

MegaDisney
07-28-2009, 05:47 PM
I am really looking forward to this.

I understand this is Alice's return to Wonderland at the age of 19.

Should be interesting.

ChipnDaleGal
08-01-2009, 06:57 AM
The creep factor on this one is way too high for me. My clown phobia is going off big time after looking at those cast pictures. I couldn't want to see this any less than I do, and I love Johnny Depp.

ASweetLov
08-01-2009, 10:09 PM
I just saw the trailer for this movie online, now I really want to see it. Trailer looks great!!!!

Toughbug 2112
08-03-2009, 09:20 PM
This looks so different. I can't wait to see what else is said. Depp should be good if he goes into it like his performance as John Dillenger in Public Enemies, which was a great movie by the way.

LauraleeH
03-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I couldn't believe how far back I had to go to find this thread! I thought for sure it would be at the top by now ;)

Has anyone seen it yet?

Melanie
03-06-2010, 08:22 PM
"Alice in Wonderland" opens strongly at box office

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – "Alice in Wonderland" set a new record for a March release at the weekend box office in North America, earning an estimated $41 million on its opening day, distributor Walt Disney Co said on Saturday.

Director Tim Burton's 3D collaboration with Johnny Depp opened across the United States and Canada on Friday, and is also playing in about 40 foreign countries.

The North American tally ranks at No. 19 among single-day debuts, said tracking firm Box Office Mojo. The previous opening-day record for a March film was $28 million, set by "300" in 2007. The ancient epic also holds the record for an opening weekend in March with $71 million.

"Alice" looks set to smash that tally, likely surpassing $100 million, when three-day sales data are issued on Sunday. Pundits had conservatively forecast an opening weekend above $75 million. The last movie to reach that level was "Avatar," which opened to $77 million in December on its way to world domination.

Depp stars as the Mad Hatter, while Australian actress Mia Wasikowska plays Alice. Burton's girlfriend Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway round out the headliners as the Red Queen and White Queen, respectively. Reviews were mixed, with critics more enthused by the movie's visual splendor than its narrative essence

Bethanymouse
03-07-2010, 12:01 AM
We saw it last night. We did not go to a theater that offered it in 3D. As usual, disney did not disappoint. Tim Burton was able to present a magical yet creepy journey into wonderland once again. Very very cool. I would highly recommend it!

By the way, the Red Queen and Johnny stole the show!

murphy1
03-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Loved it!!! And we saw it non-3d as well b/c one of my kids had glasses, I took my 10 and 8 yo and they want to see it again. Burton is just genius.

NotaGeek
03-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Eh, it was all right. I give it a 3 out of 5 stars. I was really wanting to love this movie -- I thought the whole movie was beautiful, and The Red Queen was awesome -- but the story really felt flat and I found myself dozing off in a couple of parts -- and I am NOT a movie sleeper! The Mad Hatter and White Queen just bugged me. The Cheshire Cat was great.

faline
03-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Saw it over the weekend in a 3-D I-Max theater which was totally sold out. I really enjoyed the movie. The pace did not drag and it kept my interest from start to finish - not a sleeper for me at all!

mickeys_princess_mom
03-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Not a sleeper for me, either! We loved it in 3-D! First words out of our mouths at the end were "I want to see it again"!
Visually gorgeous, and lots of funny moments! Well done, Disney! I went into it a little leery--this has never been one of my favorite tales, and I'd heard the Red Queen stole the show from the Mad Hatter. I disagree! Depp was awesome, though I had a little hesitation at first wrapping around the look and the voice. Won me over, and left me entertained!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

lettripp
03-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I saw it opening night and sadly, was not impressed. I think Avatar spoiled 3D for me for a while... plus it didn't have the whimsy I would expect from any adaptation/retelling or sequel to a Lewis Carroll story.

TheVBs
03-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Would smaller kids enjoy it? I know our DD9 will love it, but I'm not too sure about DD5. Any feedback would be much appreciated! :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
03-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Our youngest son just turned 6, and he LOVED it. He is an avid Tim Burton fan (his favourite movie is The Nightmare Before Christmas), but he also loved the story. This movie was a hit for our whole group (incl kids aged 6, 11 and 14). :thumbsup:

lettripp
03-12-2010, 01:01 PM
There are a couple of things that might disturb a 5 year old (ex. a moat of floating severed heads)

magicofdisney
03-12-2010, 01:37 PM
We went opening day at lunch time. It was my 9yr old girls, my 4yo son and me. This theater only offered it in 3D. My 4yo won't wear the glasses and I don't know how he does it without getting a headache. Despite that, my kids loved the movie. There was one part in the beginning where he reached over and grabbed my hand, but he quickly let go and enjoyed the entire movie. I was concerned it may not hold his interest but he never wavered.

MegaDisney
03-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Meh!

I was a little dissapointed.

I saw it in IMAX 3D. Visually the movie was incredible. The characters, costumes, & "sets" were fantastic!

The story was a bit dry and not at all what I expected.

The Tron Legacy trailer beforehand put tears in my eyes! I cannot wait for that.

Sad when your favorite part of a movie going experience is one of the previews.

TheVBs
03-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the input on the age thing! My biggest concerns were whether it would hold their attention and whether there were any dark scenes that would bother our youngest.

The moat with severed heads, is it a quick shot, or drawn out more?

Thanks! :mickey:

Disneypixie513
03-26-2010, 10:48 AM
The moat scene was a bit drawn out, so it might be a tad scary for younger kids.

I saw it last night in 3-D. I loved it! The story was kept my attention throughout. The 3-D was really neat and vivid. I loved all the characters.

Definately can't wait to own this movie. :thumbsup:

Kathy Jetson
03-26-2010, 11:43 PM
I loved this movie and didn't want it to end!

SurferStitch
03-29-2010, 12:53 AM
DH and I saw it in 3D on opening day, and we both give it a great big

meh

It was okay, almost good, but seemed to drag in some parts. I think they spent too much time and money on special effects, and not enough on the story itself. We felt absolutely no connection with Alice...she seemed too whiny and annoying. Tweedledee and dum were way too bizarre. Did not like the Red Queen (the head was just odd), and found the White Queen slightly weird and not all that interesting.

I did like the Hatter, but kind of felt like Depp almost slipped into his Sparrow routine here and there with his movements and accent. It was cool, though, to learn about his background and why we did go mad.

I will say, I LOVED the Cheshire Cat. His eyes, fur color, voice...everything. He was adorable.

I'll of course get the Blu-Ray when it comes out, but it won't be a "go-to" movie when I'm in the mood for Disney.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-09-2010, 11:35 PM
DH and I saw it in 3D on opening day, and we both give it a great big

meh

It I did like the Hatter, but kind of felt like Depp almost slipped into his Sparrow routine here and there with his movements and accent. It was cool, though, to learn about his background and why we did go mad.

I picked up some Sparrow touches, too!!! :)Just went last week and saw it again! Still love it.