PDA

View Full Version : Fire Flies???

meldan98
06-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Alright, let me just preface this saying I'm from California, born and raised, so this might sound like a really, really dumb question.

Are there fire flies at FW? I've always wanted to take my kids to see them. I've always heard that they can be found in the south, but I'm not sure where in the south. If they can be found at FW, we might make sure to swing by for the campfire or something just to go see them.

Ed
06-22-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm afraid you just struck out. :(

In the 7 years I've lived here, I haven't seen even one firefly. Up in Maryland when I lived there, they were very prevalent.

:bug:

One other thing I haven't seen here? Dandelions! :thumbsup:

disneymom15
06-22-2009, 05:32 PM
I've seen them in Wisc.

meldan98
06-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Thank you for the info. I know, it seems weird, but it's just one of those things "neat" things in nature. Maybe someday, we will be somewhere where they have them.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
06-22-2009, 06:36 PM
so sad, but no...no fire flies. we had them in virginia, and for a few years when we moved down here (in 1991) we had them... but then there was nothing.

faline
06-22-2009, 07:29 PM
We have fireflies here in the Northeast. They generally are not out in early summer but as summer goes on and the weather gets warmer, we can sit out on our screen porch and watch them all around us! They are pretty neat to watch! Never really thought about it but I don't ever recall seeing any when I've been at Disney World.

sassafras
06-22-2009, 07:44 PM
We have them in Illinois and Indiana!

chefmickey3
06-22-2009, 08:05 PM
We have had them in the backyard for about two weeks now (live near Philly). They are really neat to see. I usually let the kids stay up late a few nights during the summer to see them.

Marceline
06-22-2009, 09:21 PM
We have tons of them here in MO. My backyard becomes the "Dance of the Fireflies" every evening. In the local vernacular we call em' lightening bugs. As a kid we'd get old mayo jars, poke holes in the top and collect as many as possible to make lightenin' bug lanterns.

Wrigley
06-22-2009, 10:08 PM
We definately have the fire flies (lightning bugs) here in IL! They have been out for about a week now! We have a nice collection each night in our DD's bughouse!

Kathy Jetson
06-23-2009, 03:14 AM
We have them in S.C. But I don't see as many as I did when I lived in N.J.

BigRedDad
06-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I think it depends on the time of year and their mating cycles. I am in NC. The other night, there were 10s of thousands in the woods in my backyard. I told my DD3 it was Tinkerbell and her fairy friends working. We sat and watched them for about half an hour. You could literally see into the woods there was so much light from them.

cheshirecollector
06-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Great thread, I had no idea they weren't everywhere in the continental U.S.