PDA

View Full Version : Staying at AKL! WOOHOO!

Gator
06-22-2009, 03:13 PM
After years of staying at moderates and values, I finally get to upgrade to the Animal Kingdom Lodge! Some friends of mine who own a DVC share aren't going for over a year and needed to sell the points. So we bought their points at market price and got 8 nights for $1100. That's a better price than a moderate! We're in a standard view, not a savanah view, but who cares. I love the design and feel from the pictures I've seen.

So tell me, what do I need to see and do at this resort? Should I request a certain section or building? And thanks to Intercot. I wouldn't have known about buying points and everything else without you guys.:rocks:

like2workout
06-22-2009, 03:27 PM
I stayed at AKL in January and loved it! The "savannah view" rooms are the ones overlooking the animals, and it was worth it to me. It was amazing to wake up each morning and have breakfast on the patio overlooking zebras, giraffes, etc.

The resort has an activity board down near the restaurants that lists all of the things it has to over - and there are many things to do there! Be sure to check the board out. But the main thing i wouldn't pass up is finding the path each night to the area where you can view the animals with night vision goggles. that was a totally new experience for me and i did it several nights while there. it's really amazing.

enjoy your time there!

tiaramom
06-22-2009, 06:08 PM
The Animal Kingdom Lodge
Is without a doubt an entertaining lodging experience. There are animals through out the resort- in view with large windows in the hotel itself- ( in the hallways) You will not miss a thing in a standard room. The Savanna rooms are very lovely- YES! - though step outside your room-and the animals are in clear view always. You will not be disapointed with a standard room.
I would recommmend a Pool view- not a parking lot- Why pay all that money and see a lot. Upgrade to the pool- if they are avail. I do feel this would upset me- just because the cost of the room per night id pretty heafty.
Up to you-

The restaurant Boma- is my favorite
and my families as well. Wide variety of foods. Dont let the african themed dishes scare you.
They are delicious . There is many traditional style Amercian fare as well- with a chefs touch. I highly rec. this place. Beautiful setting to enjoy your dinner. Extensive offerings of food. Try the carrrot ginger soup- amazing!

The pool is also my favorite on property- I love the beach style zero entry. Perfect! Very large and I never bump into anyone while swimming about. lol

The Mara - which is the counter service meals( fast service)
Delicious. Try the Falaffel ( spelling??)
Great!
There is seating insode and out-
I love eating here as well.

They offer crafts-" free" for kiddies during the day. and there is pleanty to do-

A beautiful bar- with a nice menu of beverages.

The grounds are not large at all- not a walk around resort- at all! My only negative.
Though- they added a new area to this lodge - Kidani village ... so we will see what is in store for us there. A great Restaurant called Sanaa- high reviews.

easy to get to animal Kingdom- by bus- or to be honest anywhere by bus-
never too crowded-
In comparsion to other resorts that is.

The gift shop is cool-
Not too bad.

Beautiful resort
I am happy for your stay.
I will be going in SEPT

joanna71985
06-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Ooo, you will love AKL! I stayed there in Aug, and loved it! It is such a beautiful resort. I was lucky enough to get a Savannah-view room, and loved seeing all the animals (it was at the end of the resort, but the walk wasn't too bad). I hope to stay there again in the future.

Darbylew
06-22-2009, 06:42 PM
We have stayed at the AKL and loved it. Our
room was overlooking the pool which was nice.
Across from our room was a large plate glass
window that overlooked the Savannah. It was
great to walk out and take a look. Enjoy your
stay. The lobby is worth a look anytime. :thumbsup:
FIRST TRIP 1972
LAST TRIP MARCH 2009 :mickey:
NEXT TRIP NOVEMBER 2009 :D
AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN
REMEMBER IT ALL STARTED WITH A MOUSE!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-22-2009, 08:43 PM
The lobby is worth a look anytime. :thumbsup:
FIRST TRIP 1972
LAST TRIP MARCH 2009 :mickey:
NEXT TRIP NOVEMBER 2009 :D
AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN
REMEMBER IT ALL STARTED WITH A MOUSE!
I was just thinking---take some time to enjoy this beautiful lobby!

estein80
06-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah!

We will be staying at AKL in October. DH was really excited, but I was a little iffy on it. I know my daughter will love it, but I'd live to stay at WL. Another. time

I'm really looking forward to it now, and can't wait for October.

MNNHFLTX
06-22-2009, 10:31 PM
The only suggestion I would give for a standard view room (or savannah, for that matter) is to make a request for a room "close to the lobby". The wings extending off of the lobby can go on for a distance and if you want to be closer in proximity to the restaurants, food court and pool area, you want to not be at the very end of either of the wings.

My son and I are staying at AKL as well in August. It's been about 6 or 7 years since we've stayed there, so I am looking forward to it!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-22-2009, 10:39 PM
The only suggestion I would give for a standard view room (or savannah, for that matter) is to make a request for a room "close to the lobby". The wings extending off of the lobby can go on for a distance and if you want to be closer in proximity to the restaurants, food court and pool area, you want to not be at the very end of either of the wings.
This is true. When we first checked in, we felt like we were going on a safari just hiking to our room. We went back and asked for something closer, and they were very nice about it.

thejens
06-22-2009, 10:40 PM
I love staying at this resort. I don't think the Savannah room is necessary at all. The first time I stayed I did the Savannah room and we had to laugh because we almost never spent time in our room or on our balcony because we were always on one of the lovely public patio areas or standing near a large window in the hall way or in the pool area. So this year we did a "pool view" but actually had a view of plants and trees. This suited us fine. We loved our whole experience there. My recommendations are:
:thumbsup: Be sure to leave time to spend in the resort.
:thumbsup: Meander in the pool area, there are little hidden spots, a lovely secluded jacuzzi, animal viewing areas (my son loved the flamingos).
:thumbsup: Explore the gift shop. It's not the usual stuff you find everywhere.
:thumbsup: Wander the halls and lobby and look at all the beautiful art work. It is everywhere.
:thumbsup: Dine at Boma, Jiko, Mara and Sanaa. If you only have time for two do Boma and Sanaa. Get the bread and salad sampler appetizers at Sanaa and enjoy with a glass of wine. Maybe when you go you will be able to watch the animals from your table!
:thumbsup: Check out Kidani Village. There is more gorgeous artwork, a little more color, fun proverbs and a terrific pool (especially if you have kids.)
I have never made enough time to take advantage of all the cultural activities and talks etc and almost wish I could go to the lodge and not go to the parks...but I guess I could never do that either! So my final suggestion is:
:thumbsup: Stay for at least 2 weeks!

Dsnygirl
06-23-2009, 10:01 AM
I am so excited about this thread!! We are doing a split stay in October, and are spending 5 of our 10 nights at AKL for the first time -- and we CAN'T wait!! We've only been there at night to eat at Boma, so are SO excited to explore the resort and see all the neat stuff everyone's talked about... and we've never stayed at a deluxe before, either, so that will be a real treat for us, too.

Keep on with all the good advice -- I'm definitely going to print this thread at some point!! :thumbsup:

:thanks:

estein80
06-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Keep on with all the good advice -- I'm definitely going to print this thread at some point!! :thumbsup:

:thanks:

:ditto:

Nascfan
06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
This is a very timely thread for us too as we just booked our daughter's graduation present, a stay at AKL next May/June! We can't wait to stay at this resort! :thumbsup:

aprilisis
06-23-2009, 03:12 PM
I stayed here in December 2007 & I loved it. I had the farthest possible room from the lobby & I really loved that! We were right where two savannahs meet & there were animals outside our room all of the time. It was also very quiet. I'm going to request the same room or general area when I go back again in September this year. Have a great trip!

Dsnygirl
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
This is a very timely thread for us too as we just booked our daughter's graduation present, a stay at AKL next May/June! We can't wait to stay at this resort! :thumbsup:
:hi: Scott! Nice to see you! What a great present.... I hope you have a wonderful time! How's your DD's golf coming along?

VolMickey
06-23-2009, 08:58 PM
You will love it! It's even better than you will probably be anticipating. It blew me away the first time. Food, architecture and ANIMALS!

Nascfan
06-23-2009, 10:16 PM
:hi: Scott! Nice to see you! What a great present.... I hope you have a wonderful time! How's your DD's golf coming along?

She's doing great! She got a new driver and loves it. It gives her so much more confidence in her drives and consequently makes the rest of the game easier when she can be longer off the tee. She had a "drive off" contest with one of the boys from the boys team at practice today. Pretty much the same distance. That made her feel good. :D