PDA

View Full Version : Aerosmith Contract To End Soon? What Then To Do With Rock N Roller Coaster?

GothMickey
06-22-2009, 02:41 PM
I posted this on another website. I figured I would post it here too.

July 29, 1999, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster opened in Disney-MGM Studios, thrilling fans of roller coasters and Aerosmith. The coaster features popular Aerosmith songs onboard audio.

Well, July 29, 2009 is coming quick. My understanding was Aerosmith signed a 10 year contract to have their image, name, and songs used in the ride. This date would signify the end of the contract.

Other sites have started posing rumored replacements. One rumor, and we have said this before joking, is that Disney will be replacing Aerosmith instead of extending the contract. The replacements? Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers. Personally, as much as I can see Disney doing something like this, I also don't think they will rebrand a coaster with these two acts since most of Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers fans aren't old enough or tall enough to ride.

I have a possible replacement of my own. The studio you are entering is called G-Force Records. Well, Disney's next hopefull franchise is G-Force, due in theaters July 24, 2009, about specially trained guinea pigs who try to stop the bad guy from taking over the world. Other than the music studio overlay, G Force is already present throughout the attraction queue.

Basically:
1) Is the contract with Aerosmith really set to expire?
2) If so, how fast will Aerosmith be removed from the attraction?
3) Who or what will Disney replace Aerosmith with?
4) Who or what would you like to see replace Aerosmith?
5) Do you think a G Force overlay would make sense, with a complete rebranding of Rock N Roller Coaster?

Lakin
06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
How could Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers be able to fit into RNR? It's ROCKnRollercoaster. Not POPRollercoaster.

5 Mousekteers
06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
I liked the Aerosmith overlay, but it would be nice if they changed the video/music. I would love to see it totally re-themed towards a Disney or Pixar movie or even a newer band.

lightyearfan
06-22-2009, 03:02 PM
perfect replacement : Rock N Rollercoaster starring KISS!! after 35 years this band is still going strong, and with Gene Simmons Family Jewels being A&E most watched show, i think that this would a perfect marriage. put $$ in front of Gene's eyes and you'll have them hook line and sinker (IMHO)

Victor

Lakin
06-22-2009, 03:03 PM
perfect replacement would would Rock N Rollercoaster starring KISS!! after 35 years this band is still growing strong, and with Gene Simmons Family Jewels being A&E most watched show, i think that this would a perfect marriage. put $$ in front of Gene's eyes and you'll have them hook line and sinker (IMHO)

Victor

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Gene would be totally up for it. Plus, Gene gets a ride about him, and money, so he agrees.

1DisneyNut
06-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes I agree KISS would be an excellent replacement. Money talks with Gene for sure. lol

tazlikesrobots
06-22-2009, 03:26 PM
I got a different take! How about changing the theme to the Cars movie and play Real Gone during the ride?

meldan98
06-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, some Hannah and Jo Bro fans may not be tall enough, yet, but once they are, I'm betting most won't know who Aerosmith is.

kakn7294
06-22-2009, 04:54 PM
My DDs both love Aerosmith - they are 8 and 14. I'd like to see Aerosmith stay.

SBETigg
06-22-2009, 05:10 PM
My DDs both love Aerosmith - they are 8 and 14. I'd like to see Aerosmith stay.

I find it hard to imagine the ride without Aerosmith at this point. Maybe in the future, but it seems that Aerosmith is still relevant and a good fit or the ride. I'm not sure about the truth to any rumors on this ride changing or if it's just fun for some to speculate on possibilities.

NotaGeek
06-22-2009, 06:24 PM
I find it hard to imagine the ride without Aerosmith at this point. Maybe in the future, but it seems that Aerosmith is still relevant and a good fit or the ride. I'm not sure about the truth to any rumors on this ride changing or if it's just fun for some to speculate on possibilities.
I think Aerosmith is still relevant for people over 30, but honestly? Those in their 20's and under haven't really heard a big hit from them ... it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Disney took this ride into another generation's music.

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2009, 06:28 PM
I hope Aerosmith doesn't go anywhere... And if they do, please do not replace them with Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers... Kiss is a great choice... I'd like to see Bruce Springsteen but I don't see his music fitting the ride too much... Plus he has gotten more political in the recent years, so Disney would probably stay away...

SBETigg
06-22-2009, 06:41 PM
I think Aerosmith is still relevant for people over 30, but honestly? Those in their 20's and under haven't really heard a big hit from them ... it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Disney took this ride into another generation's music.

I have teenagers, Michael. I know the under-twenty set and they're mostly aware of Aerosmith. Aerosmith is a classic. I'm not a huge fan, but the music holds up and still gets played. The kids today know Pink Floyd and Zeppelin, too, and they're not exactly on the charts. You can't just assume that people under a certain age aren't familiar with something that predates them.

Aero
06-22-2009, 06:44 PM
I hope Aerosmith stays.

The problem with acts like Jonas Bros. and Hannah Montana is that young kids absolutely love them for a while, and then they rebel against them. Once they're a little older, admitting you like Hannah is admitting you still watch Dora the Explorer. When they're much older they'll look back on it all fondly, but not when they're in their later teens. I've seen this with my own kids (through countless acts), and with others.

Girls of the late 70s -- how long did you like Shaun Cassidy? I rest my case.

- Aero

NotaGeek
06-22-2009, 06:46 PM
I have teenagers, Michael. I know the under-twenty set and they're mostly aware of Aerosmith. Aerosmith is a classic. I'm not a huge fan, but the music holds up and still gets played. The kids today know Pink Floyd and Zeppelin, too, and they're not exactly on the charts. You can't just assume that people under a certain age aren't familiar with something that predates them.
I just called my 16 year old nephew and asked him if he knew who Aerosmith was. He had no idea.

SBETigg
06-22-2009, 06:57 PM
I just called my 16 year old nephew and asked him if he knew who Aerosmith was. He had no idea.

I have no doubt that you're correct that some people under that age don't know Aerosmith, but I think they're the exception. In general, to my experience, kids under 20 are well aware of Aerosmith. Has he never been to WDW? Uncle NotaGeek should take him! :D

TheRustyScupper
06-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Lawrence Welk Polka Palooza
. . . an'a one
. . . an'a two
. . . an'a blast off

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2009, 07:16 PM
. . . an'a one
. . . an'a two
. . . an'a blast off

Let's just go with Weird Al...

yjgirl32
06-22-2009, 09:17 PM
I would be very bummed if Aerosmith left. Even a bigger disappoinment if it heppened before we get down there in Sept. They are one of my all-time favorite bands- in fact seeing them in Hershey on July 3rd!!! Wahoo!

My DS5 knows who they are. Loves Walk This Way! Wanted to go to the concert with me- maybe next time.

RockinRollerMom
06-22-2009, 10:05 PM
When I was at WDW last Decemebr a CM told me that the ride was changing to Hannah Montana. I hope they were mistaken because Hannah really isn't too "rockin".

Lakin
06-22-2009, 10:35 PM

I'm 13, and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't know a thing about Aerosmith if it weren't for RocknRollercoaster. If I weren't a Disney fanatic, I'd have no clue.

Aero
06-22-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm 13, and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't know a thing about Aerosmith if it weren't for RocknRollercoaster. If I weren't a Disney fanatic, I'd have no clue.

Then your parents have raised you wrong. ;)

My daughter and her friends are into Aerosmith, Bob Marley, U2, Journey, Led Zep, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and more. She's 17 now, but this started a couple years back. I think it's a commentary on the state of today's pop music.

- Aero

Dznygrl79
06-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Who says Aerosmith won't resign? Don't you think they would have closed the ride or sceduled it to close by now if they had to do a refurb? As far as music tastes remember everyone is different, I know who aerosmith is and can appreciate they are a classic band but thats about it, I am a Christian Rock person, also I don't see Disney retheaming it to Hannah or Jo Bros because 10 years from now who knows where they will be, I doubt a 26 year old Hannah will be as popular as she is now with the teeny bopper crowd.

DisneyFanaticDargon
06-23-2009, 07:27 AM
If they change this over to Hannah Montana/Jonas Brothers, I will refuse to ever ride this again. I already feel an intense wave of nausea whenever I'm exposed to their already heavily overmarketed music and television appearances. Couple that with a ride that goes really fast AND upside down, and a mess will ensue.

Ian
06-23-2009, 08:18 AM
I have no doubt that you're correct that some people under that age don't know Aerosmith, but I think they're the exception. In general, to my experience, kids under 20 are well aware of Aerosmith. Has he never been to WDW? Uncle NotaGeek should take him! :D"Under 20" is a pretty broad spectrum of ages .... I wouldn't find it tough to believe that kids between say 15 and 20 know who Aerosmith is, but I highly doubt that Aerosmith is at all relevant to the majority of kids under the age of 15.

I honestly can't imagine they would re-theme the ride to Hannah Montana, though, because I don't even know that Miley wants to continue being Hannah Montana. This current tour is just a Miley Cyrus tour ... no mention of Hannah at all. I can't see Disney taking a risk like that.

JoBros? Eh ... maybe ... but honestly they've never had quite the level of appeal that Hannah did in the first place and, really, they're going to be a flash in the pan just like every other Disney manufactured teen pop star.

Unless there is some compelling reason not to (i.e. money, band refusal, etc.) I think the most likely scenario would be for Disney to just re-up with Aerosmith. You have to factor the cost of that in vs. the costs of shutting the ride down, re-theming it, etc.

To me it just makes the most fiscal sense to go that route and, with Disney today, money talks and everything else walks.

Although I've always found it to be a very odd pairing in the first place. It's really one of my least favorite "themes" of all Disney's attractions. I just don't see Disney and Aerosmith being a likely union.

Gusgus
06-23-2009, 08:54 AM
My boys are 10 & 13 and know who Aerosmith is and even have them on their iPods. They even know the names of the band members! I raised my kids well I guess :music:

SBETigg
06-23-2009, 08:56 AM
"Under 20" is a pretty broad spectrum of ages .... I wouldn't find it tough to believe that kids between say 15 and 20 know who Aerosmith is, but I highly doubt that Aerosmith is at all relevant to the majority of kids under the age of 15.

You're right that the under-a-certain-age argument throws things off track a bit. The majority of kids on Splash Mountain haven't seen Song of the South, but they still love it and then, as they age, they gain some familiarity. If everything at Disney had to be understood and embraced by the under-15s, we might be in some trouble. In that case, perhaps they should re-theme Tower of Terror? Not many kids under 15 are familiar with the Twilight Zone.

The point is that classics stand the test of time. Aerosmith may not outlast the Beatles, but you hit an age (and it seems to be in later teen years perhaps) that you discover classic bands, classic TV, classic movies, and you learn and grow and embrace new things. Any band that has been recognized by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame probably has some degree of staying power. Kids under 15 are just as unlikely to know any other bands that have longevity in the industry. But will they not hear of them in the next five or ten years? I think they will. A band like Jonas Brothers or the show and music of Hannah Montana in ten years? Maybe not. So perhaps the solution is to go with a more general approach and not have focus on one band alone. The Rock and Roller Coaster could be themed around the music in general, should they lose Aerosmith, but the story set-up tends to work best when built around a specific band example, as the Aerosmith pre-show currently allows. To build it around a band that younger kids know would leave it open to be needing a redesign every few years.

big blue and hairy
06-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Saying Aerosmith should come out of Rock-n-Rollercoaster because some young people don't know a lot about them is the same as taking all the classic movies out of the Great Movie Ride.

If they don't work out a contract, that's one thing, but they are THEE classic American rock band.

:sulley:

Ian
06-23-2009, 10:04 AM
A band like Jonas Brothers or the show and music of Hannah Montana in ten years?Oh, I absolutely agree with this and said as much in my post.

Despite their relevance to kids, I'd hate to see them go the "flash-in-the-pan" route in selecting a band. Unless they're willing to pony up the cash to constantly update the ride to whatever the latest and greatest Disney pop star is, I'd find it a waste. It would be completely irrelevant in 5 years.

Also, I'm not sure Hannah or the JoBros really hits the sweet spot in terms of where their biggest audience is for this ride. They need to find some kind of crossover act that resonates with tweens and adults alike.

If they don't work out a contract, that's one thing, but they are THEE classic American rock band.Eh. I disagree. I've always found them tremendously overrated.

Their early stuff is awesome, but some time around the late 80's they went off-track and have never really recovered.

diz_girl
06-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Girls of the late 70s -- how long did you like Shaun Cassidy? I rest my case.

I love Shaun Cassidy. He's dreamy. :cloud9: Actually, he's aged pretty well.

Anyway, I agree that the logical thing would be to re-up with Aerosmith. I would assume that you would want a band that is still intact and most of the members are still alive. However, these guys are at or pushing 60, so maybe going with another band is an option to consider.

Once the members of Aerosmith start needing hip replacements or dying off, then maybe WDW should pair with another, younger, band who has music that is already or has the potential to become classic and have fans that are multi-generational, like Aerosmith. And I would think that the band would still need to be together.

But who? There's Green Day, the Red Hot Chili Peppers (on hiatus), Pearl Jam, Metallica and Rage Against the Machine (not recording, but periodically performing). Can anyone think of anyone else? I'm talking rock (not pop) bands that have been around a while, but aren't old enough to qualify to collect Social Security retirement benefits within the next couple of years.

I agree that Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers aren't the way to go, since their demographic is so narrow.

Aero
06-23-2009, 11:34 AM
My boys are 10 & 13 and know who Aerosmith is and even have them on their iPods. They even know the names of the band members! I raised my kids well I guess :music:

You done good, Gusgus. :cool:

- Aero

meldan98
06-23-2009, 12:09 PM
My comment about the younger crowd not knowing Aerosmith was mostly in jest. With Guitar Hero, a lot of bands that most teenagers might not get exposed to are, IMO, gaining in popularity. My daughter, who is five, knows Elvis, Buddy Holly, the Beatles, just to name a few, because that's what I listen to.

I really could see Disney swapping out Areosmith and making it more about the latest and greatest in current music. I could Miley and the Jonas Brothers, or another well known artist on one of the Disney labels.

Tygger7
06-23-2009, 12:52 PM
I have no doubt that you're correct that some people under that age don't know Aerosmith, but I think they're the exception. In general, to my experience, kids under 20 are well aware of Aerosmith. Has he never been to WDW? Uncle NotaGeek should take him! :D

Wow...where in the heck has your nephew been his whole life?? In an isolation booth? My 16 year old DD is a HUGE Areosmith fan, and so are most of the kids in her high school. In fact, I'd go so far to say that at least 60% of them have even seem Aerosmith perform live in the past 5 years. As others have said, they are a classic band...I'd be willing to be that any kid that doesn't know who Areosmith is, probably also has never heard of Led Zepplin, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Kiss, etc. There are very few bands of this caliber that come along, and I'm definitely one that hopes that Aerosmith continues to be associated with Rock-n-Roller Coaster. The mere thought of making this a "teen idol" attraction makes me ill. The age group that supports current Disney stars will grow out of them sooner rather than later, so there would be a lot of expense continually having to update an entire ride to stay current with a fickle pre-teen audience. Ok, off my soapbox now. :D

Aero
06-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Just a thought here... The original premise of this thread was that the 10-year anniversary of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is coming up, and so the license must be set to expire. But, does anyone know that for sure? Perhaps they re-upped back in 2002 when RNRC avec Aerosmith opened at Disneyland Paris.

- Aero

bruin1344
06-23-2009, 01:32 PM
If they change this over to Hannah Montana/Jonas Brothers, I will refuse to ever ride this again. I already feel an intense wave of nausea whenever I'm exposed to their already heavily overmarketed music and television appearances. Couple that with a ride that goes really fast AND upside down, and a mess will ensue.

same here

Aerosmith fits the theme perfectly for the ride. I cant think of any better replacements. I dont want any emo, pop, or death metal non-sense replacing aerosmith.

Everyone should know who Aerosmith is, what musical group do you know that had had major hits in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s? Plus they are an American band. They have broader appeal. Disney shouldnt only appeal to teenagers that would listen to Hanna Montana or Jonas Bros.

5togetherWDW
06-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Recently, my boys have been asking for Aerosmiths version of Guitar Hero -- apparently EVERYONE else already has it :mickey: Teens and preteens around here all know "old" music through Guitar Hero.
In fact, some of the "old" stuff is among the most heard, these days.

Bamf1000
06-23-2009, 02:02 PM
It would be a bummer if Aerosmith wasn't a part of RRC :( but if they had to replace them i think Metallica or Led Zeplin would be good choices.

big blue and hairy
06-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Eh. I disagree. I've always found them tremendously overrated.

Their early stuff is awesome, but some time around the late 80's they went off-track and have never really recovered.

You're one third right. Not overrated at all. They did go off the rails for a couple of albums but recovered nicely thank you, now go listen to Toys In The Attic and quiet down...:D

PS What artist hasn't had a clunker or two?

fupresti
06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
All I know is, if KISS is ever featured on RnR count me out. That no talent hack circus band is a joke. Gene Simmons makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

However, I see no reason not to extend the contract. I am sure Aerosmith gets some good exposure and even if kids don't know who they are, they still know the music. It's not like they wont ride it because its a band they don't recognize.

Now, if they need to change it, they could always go with a Queen theme. They are a great classic rock band, everyone knows We Will Rock You and others AND they are on Hollywood Records, a Disney owned label.

Imagineer1981
06-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Aerosmith will stay because of a few reasons:

1) They are a classic rock band and the ultimate rock icons

2) They are family oriented (yes I know they have a shady past, but I just saw them on June 10 and yes there were 10 year olds there, they don't curse on stage)

3) My 6 year old cousin knows who they are and loves them. They are still played on the radio a ton and each new generation keeps rocking to them.

Ian
06-23-2009, 07:47 PM
You're one third right. Not overrated at all. They did go off the rails for a couple of albums but recovered nicely thank you, now go listen to Toys In The Attic and quiet down...:D

PS What artist hasn't had a clunker or two?I was just never that big a fan of theirs.

And, truth-be-told, I have an issue with past their prime rock bands. I find something disturbing about grandparents running around on stage with tight pants and bandanas, gyrating their hips, and screaming.

I feel the same way about the Stones and the Who and I love both of those bands. But seriously ... time to hang it up there Gramps. :old:

Melanie
06-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Really Michael? My boys know very well who Aerosmith are, and love them! Their dad is responsible for that though. :thumbsup: I do agree with a previous poster who said Rock Band is helping today's youth become acquainted with classic rock such as Aerosmith though.

I'd be disappointed to see them go from the attraction. I like the theme, whether or not I can stomach the attraction or not. ;)

Disneyglamour
06-23-2009, 08:24 PM
I also hope Aerosmith stays.

I can't imagine the ride without them. I think their music will be recognizable for many generations to come. I mean, look at the popularity of their Guitar Hero game with kids AND grownups alike! If they do renew their contract, however, I hope they update the video and add new songs to the ride.

(Plus I'm a huge fan. I have tickets to see them in 2 weeks :secret:)

Familyof4
06-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I really hope they don't switch to HAnnah Montana. She certainly isn't the epitome of Rock at all

VolMickey
06-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Here's an idea...

ZZ TOP!

:thumbsup:

fupresti
06-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I did have a Blue Sky idea while driving home today and thought how could they change RnR to make it appeal to all ages and refresh it IF Aerosmith left...

Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero (or Rock Band) are hugely popular with all ages and on multiple continents. You could use any rock song for the most part so the music could change if need be and you could introduce an interactive element as well. Post ride you would sell a TON of Guitar Hero Disney World shirts and you could have tv's with games set up for individuals and families to play.

Just a thought. I am not advocating losing Aerosmith, but if they do go the Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montana route, I will stick to the west coast and just go to Disneyland.

Aero
06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Here's an idea...

ZZ TOP!

:thumbsup:

Yeah... <snip> Perfect for Disney World.

- Aero

BelleCiavo
06-23-2009, 09:49 PM
. . . an'a one
. . . an'a two
. . . an'a blast off

:laughing:

big blue and hairy
06-24-2009, 08:08 AM
I was just never that big a fan of theirs.

Tsk tsk...

Ian
06-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Tsk tsk...Don't get me wrong ... they definitely have some tunes I'm a big fan of ... Sweet Emotion is one of my favorite rock songs of all time.

In terms of their overall body of work, though ... meh. About 75% of it I could take or leave.

But I think calling them, "THE classic American rock band" is a massive overstatement. Personally, I'd take Van Halen or Guns -n- Roses every day and twice on Sunday over Aerosmith.

kakn7294
06-24-2009, 08:59 AM
My DDs 12 yo friend was here last night and said she didn't know who Aerosmith was - until I played a few songs through my computer - she did recognize 3 of the 6 I played. Her response was "I love that song, I just didn't know who sang it!" So while I can't say she's a fan, she does at least know some of their stuff!

TikiLounger
06-24-2009, 09:35 AM
I ran this topic by my kids last night (17 and 19) and they're completely devastated. Both have vowed never to ride Rockin' Roller Coaster again if Hanna Montana OR the Jonas Brothers are associated with it. LOL...we just can't see either of these teeny bopper acts as "Rock" related.

Goofster
06-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Eh. I disagree. I've always found them tremendously overrated.

I've got to agree with Ian on this one. Saying they are "thee" classic American rock band is a stretch...a big one.

As for kids in the 15-20 age range being fans...I think they are more the exception than the rule. My 15 year old baby sister doesn't know who they are and could not care less. Aerosmith has done very little in the last 10-15 years to keep them relevant to a younger generation.

Ian
06-24-2009, 09:43 AM
As for kids in the 15-20 age range being fans...I think they are more the exception than the rule. My 15 year old baby sister doesn't know who they are and could not care less. Aerosmith has done very little in the last 10-15 years to keep them relevant to a younger generation.It depends on what you mean by "relevant", I think.

I tend to agree that the Aerosmith Guitar Hero game has probably introduced their music to this generation, but whether or not it really sticks or resonates with them is a whole different story.

egospotter
06-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I really hope they keep Aerosmith, they are my favorite band and they fit that ride perfectly. They also have the other Disney connection - their song in Armegedon - so I always thought it made sense to have them there.

It seems to me that something would have been said by now about a change - and there would have to be a period of the ride being down. They just had a rehab, where they updated the computer systems about 2 years ago so I don't see it going down again any time soon. I just read on the Aerosmith website not too long ago about one of the boys going to WDW and going on the ride. He was still so struck by the fact that they had a ride, it was cool to read.

As for them being relevant to the younger generations - I'm 28 and I just went to my first Aerosmith concert with my 26 year old husband just 2 weeks ago. We were hardly the youngest ones there. In fact their were quite a few young kids there, who probably would have fit better at a Hanna Montana or Jonas Brothers concert.

And as much as I actually like HM & JB I think that Aerosmith, a band that has been cranking out hits for almost 40 years, might have a little more staying power.

TikiLounger
06-24-2009, 10:27 AM
I forgot to mention that Aerosmith is very popular around here. They're from this area, so there's a special connection to them for a lot of people. They sell out very quickly, when they come to town.

Priority Four
06-24-2009, 02:08 PM
I think Bon Jovi could slide right in but i hope there's no change.

Snowgod
06-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Now that Brian May has his doctorate and is a rocket scientist, maybe he will want to spend more time in South Florida and we can all enjoy Queen music as we ride. I would love to have it stay Aerosmith but I also would be happy to have it include any or all of the great bands including Grand Funk, Jimmy Hendrix, Santana, Chicago, Black Sabath, Jefferson Airplane-Starship, Van Halen and I could go on and on.

Why don't they just let us choose at the start of the ride?:cool:

fupresti
06-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Why don't they just let us choose at the start of the ride?:cool:

Then it would be called Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit and you would be at Universal Studios.

Skippy
06-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Then it would be called Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit and you would be at Universal Studios.

They keep promoting this on the radio - the first two times, I swore they said Rockin Roller Coaster, then went on to promote Universal. :confused:

This last time I paid better attention and caught the Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit Roller Coaster.

DisneyFanaticDargon
06-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Now, if they need to change it, they could always go with a Queen theme. They are a great classic rock band, everyone knows We Will Rock You and others AND they are on Hollywood Records, a Disney owned label.

Except for that little snafu involving Freddie Mercury being dead for quite some time now. I doubt even the strongest Disney magic could help bring him back to life to retheme a roller coaster.

MinnieMommie
06-24-2009, 07:26 PM
The beauty of a ride like RnRC is that it can be enjoyed by all generations. This is in keeping with Walt's mission to create a place with multi generational appeal for families.

Aerosmith has the kind of appeal which cuts through generations. Aerosmith enhances the ride's experience. My husband sits beside my children and all enjoy this attraction equally.

On another note: I checked and found that Steven Tyler is 61. I hope I can move like that when I am his age. How amazing that he and others like him are not defined by a number. Steven Tyler puts many much younger to shame with his energy. He is a real talent! :thumbsup:

Aero
06-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Except for that little snafu involving Freddie Mercury being dead for quite some time now. I doubt even the strongest Disney magic could help bring him back to life to retheme a roller coaster.

Didn't you hear? Freddie was cryogenically frozen, too. :funny:

- Aero

maxrebo77
06-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Many of these bands music spans the generations. I saw the Eagles at my high school in 1975 and then 20 years later with my daughter. She went with me last year to see the Scorpions and just went to see Aerosmith with her husband ( I had to work). To me Aerosmith is part of the ride and it would really surprise me if they changed it.
Speaking of rumors, I just heard that Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus are the same person.
Anyone?
To whomever said ZZ Top, I love them! They will open for Aerosmith next month.
I will contimue to keep an eye out for news on this because:
I Don't Want To Miss a Thing!

Walk This Way
maxrebo

big blue and hairy
06-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Don't get me wrong ... they definitely have some tunes I'm a big fan of ... Sweet Emotion is one of my favorite rock songs of all time.

In terms of their overall body of work, though ... meh. About 75% of it I could take or leave.

But I think calling them, "THE classic American rock band" is a massive overstatement. Personally, I'd take Van Halen or Guns -n- Roses every day and twice on Sunday over Aerosmith.

VH & GNR WISH they were as enduringly popular as Aerosmith. Both are good bands, but Aerosmith is thee American rock band. That's right I said it again....;)

Gusgus
06-25-2009, 09:17 AM

They brought Rod Serling back from the dead in the pre-show on TOT! But then again that building is in... the Twilight Zone

GusGus

Ian
06-25-2009, 09:53 AM
VH & GNR WISH they were as enduringly popular as Aerosmith. Both are good bands, but Aerosmith is thee American rock band. That's right I said it again....;)Eh ... matter of taste.

I find Aerosmith mostly corny and hackish. Like I said ... outside of a couple of their early tunes, I'm not a big fan whereas I love pretty much every song ever written by VH and GNR.

drummerboy
06-25-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm not an Aerosmith fan and probably couldn't even name one of their songs, although I'd probably recognize them if I heard them. That being said, they somehow seem to fit the ride. I could see Springsteen's 'Born in the USA' or especially 'Born to Run' being used though.

Does anybody else see the irony in the money that WDW must be paying out for naming rights on RnR as opposed to the money being paid in to WDW for sponsorship rights to Test Track?

I kind of agree with Ian about seeing the grandpas strutting around on the stage, :old: although I'd love to have their energy (but without using the sources that many of them do to get that energy).

Diamond Dave
06-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I am 15 and I love Aerosmith. I could name every member. My computers library is full of Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Journey, Kiss, Ac/Dc, Meat Loaf and other Rock. I even get into the blues. I think musically ive been raised pretty well. If Aerosmith were to leave the ride. I would definitely like to see Led Zeppelin take over. They had a roller coaster down here at the Hard Rock Park and it was pretty cool how it worked. It was all themed to whole lotta love. Only problem with Led Zeppelin is they dont like to license their stuff to anything.

Goofster
06-25-2009, 12:38 PM
It depends on what you mean by "relevant", I think.

I tend to agree that the Aerosmith Guitar Hero game has probably introduced their music to this generation, but whether or not it really sticks or resonates with them is a whole different story.

By "relevant," I mean something that places them at the front (or close to) of the current music scene making them deserving (I use that term lightly) of a major attraction at WDW...not just replays of their old stuff or their "reunion-like" concerts. Heck, if that's the standard, then where's the ride devoted to Boston or Chicago (who are also on Guitar Hero and Rock Band)?

And FWIW, their last Top 40 song was in 2001...before that...1998.

big blue and hairy
06-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Eh ... matter of taste.

I find Aerosmith mostly corny and hackish. Like I said ... outside of a couple of their early tunes, I'm not a big fan whereas I love pretty much every song ever written by VH and GNR.

Well, yeah, but you like the Eagles, too, so what do you know....heh, heh, heh...

PS, That's McNabb's Eagles, not Henley's Eagles...

big blue and hairy
06-25-2009, 02:58 PM
By "relevant," I mean something that places them at the front (or close to) of the current music scene making them deserving (I use that term lightly) of a major attraction at WDW...not just replays of their old stuff or their "reunion-like" concerts. Heck, if that's the standard, then where's the ride devoted to Boston or Chicago (who are also on Guitar Hero and Rock Band)?

And FWIW, their last Top 40 song was in 2001...before that...1998.

Aerosmith has never been a "Top 40" band, they are a rock band.

cinderellagrl
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
I've got to agree with Ian on this one. Saying they are "thee" classic American rock band is a stretch...a big one.

As for kids in the 15-20 age range being fans...I think they are more the exception than the rule. My 15 year old baby sister doesn't know who they are and could not care less. Aerosmith has done very little in the last 10-15 years to keep them relevant to a younger generation.

I just miss the 15-20 age group, being 21, and can tell you that even though many in that group may not know "who" they are they know their music. I remember high school dances playing, "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" and now in college can tell you that many of the party playlists include several Aerosmith songs. They are defiantly not dead and gone among my age group, nor do I feel I am the "exception".

Mrs Bus Driver
06-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
. . . an'a one
. . . an'a two
. . . an'a blast off

Let's just go with Weird Al...

I haven't got past the first page yet but just had to respond. Rusty what can I say if not Lawrence how about Jim Neighbors?:jaw: And somehow I think this ride could work with Weird Al, I can just see him doing his Aerosmith imitation:rocker:.
Seriously though I hope they don't change it my DH will be going with us for the first time in early Oct and I would like him to see the ride as is. My favorite line is "You know how we feel about our fans":joy::fresh:

pink
06-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I would be upset if they changed this ride to fit another band.

I was raised listening to all classic rock, especially Aerosmith. My younger brother was raised the way, he was ten years old rocking out to Aerosmith. I don't think this band has any age limits. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
06-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I think the ride needs a metal band, or very hard rock band... Nothing else works in this ride.. I am a Springsteen fan but I don't see his music fitting this attraction... Rap and pop don't fit either..

ASweetLov
06-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Aerosmith should stay in Rocknroller coaster

VolMickey
06-27-2009, 07:18 PM
KISS! Gene Simmons would jump on that idea in a heartbeat.

Belster
06-27-2009, 11:04 PM
I love the Cars idea.

Dsnygirl
06-27-2009, 11:19 PM
. . . an'a one
. . . an'a two
. . . an'a blast off
:rotfl: :funny: :D

DigitalDaredevil
06-28-2009, 05:35 AM
They should keep it with a music/rock theme.
There are plenty of rides geared towards kids. Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers are more towards the kids. Even though they are immensely popular right now, most bands/artists like that have a short shelf life.
Aerosmith is a brand with longevity. They reinvented themselves in the 80's, cleaned themselves up, and seem to be for the fans.
They were propped up by the RnRC which was and is very popular. People who are not exposed to them get to enjoy a classic American rock band.
If they do not renew the license, how about the Eagles? They are one of the biggest American rock bands and their music is still played quite a lot. They may not be well known to the kids, but how about a "Life In The Fast Lane" attraction?

DisneyOtaku
06-29-2009, 11:05 AM
From what I recall about Aerosmith and the ride, they LOVED it, and even rode it multiple times in a row. If they were offered to renew the contract, I bet the answer would be a solid yes. If nothing else, they're getting money for just having their name on a roller-coaster with a gift shop attached that sells their CDs. Pretty good set-up if you ask me!

poeticeclipse
06-29-2009, 11:31 AM
If, for whatever reason, Aerosmith does not renew their contract with WDW, I think that WDW should keep the coaster generic. By putting another artist in the place of Aerosmith, they would be setting themselves up for renovation after renovation.

The concept of having multiple car soundtracks is a great one IMO. It would be easy to "update" and "renovate" the attraction because there are so many options and as far as changing the name... would never be needed. Just take off the "Starring Aerosmith" and you've got yourself a coaster that can last through and through.

I'm with those that say if this turns into Jonas Brothers/Hannah Montana nonsense... i'm out.

CaptainSad
06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Am I missing something? Aerosmith may be out and Montana and Jonas could be the ones that replace it? Isn't DHS geared more to adults instead of kids. I'm out, if they replace Aerosmith with one of these.. I just can't see that happening.

StitchFan#1
06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
well they would not wast mopre money by Hannah cuz the shows bein canceled nex season@so why would that happen and I would never go on it it was

MickeyMousse
06-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Would love to see Aerosmith stay but wouldn't mind KISS as a replacement if needed.....but I have to wonder of it becoming a Jonas-coaster!

GothMickey
06-29-2009, 03:09 PM
well they would not wast mopre money by Hannah cuz the shows bein canceled nex season@so why would that happen and I would never go on it it was

Nothing to do with the show being cancelled. They just added Kim Possible didn't they?

i'm grumpy
06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
I hope Aerosmith stays. I knew who they were, but I wasn't a fan until RNR. Only got to ride it once this trip. :(

Pagan
06-30-2009, 02:42 PM
I'd rather Aerosmith stayed, but if they HAVE to be replaced it's a no brainer.

KISS is the perfect replacement, if for nothing else but the visual possibilities for the ride.

And I can just imagine roaring down that takeoff ramp with "Rock & Roll All Nite" cranking through the speakers. :thumbsup:

Ian
07-01-2009, 08:15 AM
I'd be all in favor of KISS replacing them. I agree with Mr. Jorts there ( :razz: ) that they'd be an excellent choice.

They have a ton of great tracks to choose from and the visual potential is almost limitless.

jaredkari
07-01-2009, 11:59 AM
PLEASE!!!! Do not put Jonas Brothers on this ride!!!!!

I think maybe Bon Jovi might be a cool replacement or I really like the idea of a "Guitar Hero" tie in. They could make a completely new post ride area featuring the game and would really be a lot of fun.

poeticeclipse
07-01-2009, 02:51 PM
My only concern about the "Guitar Hero" idea is that this "fad" could possibly wear out at some point. While I personally love Guitar Hero... who knows how much longer this trend is going to last!

There would definitely be limitless possibilites as far as sales, marketing, and design go. Can you imagine all of the money WDW could make selling all that Guitar Hero merch?!?

Stickey
07-01-2009, 02:59 PM
There may be an auto-renewal feature with the contract. It appears mutually beneficial for Disney and Aerosmith to maintain this relationship.

If a replacement for Aerosmith is necessary, then it must be consistent with the ROCK theme. I am sure that Sharon Osbourne would welcome another opportunity for Ozzy. The rockin Crazy Train coaster would work.
AC/DC would be a good fit as well. If an American band is preferred, ZZ Top would provide a blues-rock edge. Metallica would be a solid choice and they are a younger band.

Pagan
07-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Please....no Guitar Hero.

I've made it one of my missions in life to try and get kids to put that game away, pick up a REAL guitar, and practice THAT as much as they do that inane game!

DizneyFreak2002
07-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I still don't think Aerosmith is going anywhere... I imagine we would have heard soemthing about it already seeing as today is July 1...

jonahbear2006
07-02-2009, 02:38 AM
I dont see this becoming a jonas or hannah coaster at all. I am sure they will find something suitable for it, if and when this happens but I doubt it will be anything like kids music. It does have to stay with the music though. Part of the innovative ride is the speaker system that allows every rider to hear the music at the exact same point of the ride as everyone else.

BelleLovesTheBeast
07-02-2009, 11:09 AM

Aerosmith's #1 hit is "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" and that song hit #1 in Sept of 98 so if you were born after that you have heard a big hit from them. So those in their 20's are most definitely familiar with it. Especially since in the 90's they had several hits... Crazy, Crying, Amazing, etc.

I would hate to see Aerosmith go away. It's not like people have stopped visiting this ride unlike another attraction at DHS.

The worst thing would be to have it Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers.:sick:

big blue and hairy
07-02-2009, 04:15 PM
I'd be all in favor of KISS replacing them. They have a ton of great tracks to choose from and the visual potential is almost limitless.

Wait a second, you think Aerosmith is corny and hackish, but you think KISS would be a good replacement??!

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy KISS, but come on, the definition of corny, and have you ever heard Paul Stanley actually try to play a guitar lead? It's painful. His idea of crowd involvement was telling the crowd to yell....well, I can't say it here but it starts with an f. And...what about Gene Simmons Family Jewels? That's not corny or hackish...

Personal taste is just that, personal, and like I said, I actually like KISS, but except for Ace, there isn't much musicianship in that band. I'll take Joe Perry over Ace.

Ian
07-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Yeah, but come on ... no one was trying to proclaim Kiss the greatest American band ever!!

It's apples and oranges. I completely recognize that Kiss is corny and hackish. It's part of their charm. But I'd also never call them "THE quintessential American rock and roll band."

Pagan
07-02-2009, 06:38 PM
I actually like KISS, but except for Ace, there isn't much musicianship in that band.
Yikes bro...in actuality Ace is a terrible guitarist, and it depends on which KISS lineup you talk about. Eric Carr - rest his soul - was a highly talented drummer.

Paul is also very talented. His stint in "Phantom" helped him control his voice better, and a listen to his solo album will tell you that. I've seen them many times in concert, and not once do I remember Paul ever cursing onstage. I don't know where you got that from.

But for the purpose of the ride, no one would be a better choice. As was said, the visuals would be mind-blowing!

Someone mentioned the Eagles before. Could you imagine a ride based on the Eagles? Don't get me wrong, great band, but for a roller coaster?

What's next, the Yanni Tilt-A-Whirl?

You could almost see the visuals for KISS on the ride. A huge Gene breathing fire. Ace's guitar shooting rockets. It would be amazing.

Ian
07-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Someone mentioned the Eagles before. Could you imagine a ride based on the Eagles? Don't get me wrong, great band, but for a roller coaster?:laughing:

I know, I was thinking the same thing. Hotel California isn't exactly the tune I think of when I think of ripping across L.A. in a tricked out limo.

Maybe Take It Easy? ;)

egospotter
07-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Ok, as I stated before - totally not for replacing Aerosmith but...

Even though the Eagles are pretty mellow - Life In the Fastlane would almost fit perfectly.

As for the argument about Aerosmith being the Greatest American Rock Band... that's actually a tag line they use and people use about them, kind of like the Bad Boys of Boston. Obviously to me they are, but to others they are not... to each his own.

Can't wait to ride it in just under 2 months now! Still debating on whether I want to snatch up some tickets for their Tinley Park, IL show - it's the night before we leave for Disney! Who needs sleep though, right?

tigerace81
07-03-2009, 01:11 AM
^ One problem, life in the fast lane has cussing. But it can easily fixed.

Hmm.. MJ themed lol. he needs the money, hes famous, appeals to basically everyone now, alot of his songs would fit. Haha and this started out as a joke to, its not a bad idea come to think about it.

big blue and hairy
07-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Yeah, but come on ... no one was trying to proclaim Kiss the greatest American band ever!!

It's apples and oranges. I completely recognize that Kiss is corny and hackish. It's part of their charm. But I'd also never call them "THE quintessential American rock and roll band."
Considering most rock critics called Aerosmith the American Stones during their peak, I think I have history and critics on my side. :D

big blue and hairy
07-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Yikes bro...in actuality Ace is a terrible guitarist, Well, he is the best musician of the original lineup, but I don't know that that's saying much.

I've seen them many times in concert, and not once do I remember Paul ever cursing onstage. I don't know where you got that from. Obviously you weren't at the show I attended. It was the last tour before they dumped the makeup. After seeing how bored Gene Simmons looked, I wasn't really surprised when the makeup went away.

What's next, the Yanni Tilt-A-Whirl?

:funny:

KT1234
07-03-2009, 02:35 PM

I have to respectfully disagree. While you make a great point that Aerosmith hasnt had a huge hit in years, they are one of those bands that EVERYONE knows or at least recognizes. Combine that with the fact that their music is catchy, loud and rocking, I think it creates a ride that most people would find exciting. I'm speaking on behalf of myself (I'm 24) while saying this but my sister is 19 and she and many of her friends are constantly rocking out to classic rock. I'd personally HATE to see the ride be about a disney film. The ride's supposed to be about a little rebellion and I LOVE the fact that they chose such a well known band like Aerosmith to represent it. Even a band like KISS would be better IMO. Changing it to a disney film would definately take the coolness factor down a few notches for me....especially considering that compared to the huge, crazy rollercoasters at the competing Universal Studios, RNR is considered a tame coaster.

Just my .02!

Pagan
07-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Well, he is the best musician of the original lineup, but I don't know that that's saying much.
Like I said bro, listen to Paul's solo album "Live To Win". The guy is a good musician. He just "dumbed down" to fit KISS.

Obviously you weren't at the show I attended. It was the last tour before they dumped the makeup. After seeing how bored Gene Simmons looked, I wasn't really surprised when the makeup went away.
Maybe it was just that particular show. I've seen every KISS tour since "Alive!" (yea, I'm old..LOL) and never once heard him curse. You caught a bad night I guess.

I've always said that Paul, David Coverdale and Ronnie James Dio were the classiest frontmen in rock.

Emme&TeddysMommy
07-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Big Blue and hairy - What's next, the Yanni Tilt-A-Whirl?

TOO FUNNY!!:funny:

Pagan
07-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Hey...that was MY joke! :D

big blue and hairy
07-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Hey...that was MY joke! :D
Yes it was, I just laughed at it...

Emme&TeddysMommy
07-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Pagan that was too funny:)

Altair
07-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Replace Aerosmith with Spinal Tap, the only band in the world with amps that go to 11.:thumbsup:

IamBelle
07-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Forgive me if this was already answered, but why can't Aerosmith sign a new contract?
BTW, I believe their music is still relevant to today's generation. Me and my friends (under 20) love their songs! Their music just fits so well to the ride.

big blue and hairy
07-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Forgive me if this was already answered, but why can't Aerosmith sign a new contract?
BTW, I believe their music is still relevant to today's generation. Me and my friends (under 20) love their songs! Their music just fits so well to the ride.Actually, if the contract is actually up, there has been speculation that it could have been extended when the Paris version opened, that is the most likely scenario. It's just speculation as to who would replace them if they didn't renew...

Pagan
07-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Pagan that was too funny:)
Thank ye. :)

Replace Aerosmith with Spinal Tap, the only band in the world with amps that go to 11.:thumbsup:
Oh man...how awesome would THAT be?

The car could get lost under the stage...get trapped in a pod...trample a 12 inch Stonehenge...

And all in DOUBLY! :D

sportsguy2315
07-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't want Aerosmith to leave either. Actually, they were the selling point for my 1st ride on RRNC. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

LarryBoy
07-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Most of the bands I can think of that would be good for this are not American. I guess they would want an American band. My top choice would have to be Led Zepplin, and then I'm thinking U2 would be my second choince. Like I said, neither one's American. How about some southern rock? What about Lynrd Skynrd or Tom Petty?

Pagan
07-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Most of the bands I can think of that would be good for this are not American. I guess they would want an American band. My top choice would have to be Led Zepplin, and then I'm thinking U2 would be my second choince. Like I said, neither one's American. How about some southern rock? What about Lynrd Skynrd or Tom Petty?
The whole purpose of having Aerosmith in the first place on a roller coaster is for the visuals. Aeromith and their image are quintessential rock excess. That translates into all the neon and bombastic lights that make up the ride.

Lynrd Skynrd? Tom Petty? Sleep inducing as far as a ride is concerned.

Even though I love Zeppelin, they already have their own roller coaster. (http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/Peromyscus/LZ_TR_Logo.jpg)

Another view. (http://www.mbsun.com/DSC_2891.jpg)

LarryBoy
07-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Lynrd Skynrd? Tom Petty? Sleep inducing as far as a ride is concerned.

Even though I love Zeppelin, they already have their own roller coaster. (http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/Peromyscus/LZ_TR_Logo.jpg)

I pray they never replace Aerosmith. I think they were the perfect choice. I'm just adding to the speculatin. As for the southern rock, my touge was definately in my cheek. ;) Didn't Hard Rock park go bankrupt, so there is no Zepplin ride?

How about each car be a different decade? I can think of alot of good songs. Think of all the great Hendrix songs, or Cult of Personality in the 80's?

big blue and hairy
07-07-2009, 02:48 PM

HAD their own ride. The park in Myrtle Beach is no longer Hard Rock Park. It is now Freestyle Music Park and all the rides have been renamed. An even better reason, you don't want to remind people of a ride at a failed park.

Bottom line...Aerosmith is the best choice and I'd be shocked if the partnership ended any time soon.

Pagan
07-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Wow...didn't know the park failed. That stinks, I wanted to go there!

I've got the answer...

The Cyndi Lauper "Just Wanna Have Fun" coaster?

LOL!

big blue and hairy
07-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, Hard Rock Park failed. It is open again as Free Style Music Park. The coaster refered to is still there, it's just not themed to Led Zepplin anymore.

The folks that started HRP didn't market very well, especially to locals. The new owners got a serious bargain, and appear to be doing better.

mousetrapper
07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Wow, this topic got a lot of responses!

I can't imagine RNRC without Aerosmith! Our kids were 8 and 5 when we first went on the ride and it's the reason they love Aerosmith today (they're 18 and 15 now!).

We love the video at the beginning, the music and everything.

big blue and hairy
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Wow, this topic got a lot of responses!.....

We love the video at the beginning, the music and everything.

Wait a minute...I love that idea....make it happen...

mousetrapper
07-07-2009, 05:46 PM
HAHA!

"How do, people??"

VolMickey
07-07-2009, 06:30 PM
OK, so it will still probably end up with Aerosmith, but I still like ZZ Top, KISS, Guitar Hero or Journey!:blah:

gerald72
07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Just asked my nine year old if she knew who Aerosmith was: Exact answer:

"I know Aeropostle, the store. Why, did he die?"

VolMickey
07-07-2009, 06:49 PM

:jaw::funny:

big blue and hairy
07-07-2009, 09:02 PM

I said something like this before, but compare it to the Great Movie Ride. Ask your 9 year old who John Wayne is, or Humphrey Bogart. Do we want to take them out?

Lizzy
07-08-2009, 03:45 PM

:eek2:
Oh my....

Goof42
07-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Just asked my 10 year old if he would care if they took Aerosmith out of RNRC. He asked me who they would replace them with. I suggested Hannah or Jonas and he flatly rejected. He said he wouldn't mind if it was a ROCK band. He likes Jonas and Hannah but they are NOT ROCK!

[this is speculation but considering the physiological responses involved it makes sense] The problem many people seem to miss here is that Aerosmith was chosen as part of the design of the imagineers. They wanted the music to enhance the rush and help to release adrenaline. The dark, cold air, 0 to 60, loops, neon lights, and LOUD ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC!!! it all fits to create an awesome experience. U2 and the Eagles and Bruce Springsteen just don't meet this goal. I could see some Van Halen, Kiss, and plenty of other harder rock bands meet this goal [I can't drive 55 would be perfect considering the theme... :) ]

Regardless, certainly we'd have heard something by now and the ride would be scheduled for closure if they were losing the contract in 2 weeks.

Septbride2002
07-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I love Shaun Cassidy. He's dreamy. :cloud9: Actually, he's aged pretty well.

Anyway, I agree that the logical thing would be to re-up with Aerosmith. I would assume that you would want a band that is still intact and most of the members are still alive. However, these guys are at or pushing 60, so maybe going with another band is an option to consider.

Once the members of Aerosmith start needing hip replacements or dying off, then maybe WDW should pair with another, younger, band who has music that is already or has the potential to become classic and have fans that are multi-generational, like Aerosmith. And I would think that the band would still need to be together.

But who? There's Green Day, the Red Hot Chili Peppers (on hiatus), Pearl Jam, Metallica and Rage Against the Machine (not recording, but periodically performing). Can anyone think of anyone else? I'm talking rock (not pop) bands that have been around a while, but aren't old enough to qualify to collect Social Security retirement benefits within the next couple of years.

I agree that Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers aren't the way to go, since their demographic is so narrow.

Foo Fighters, Sheryl Crow, Melissa Ethridge, Corn, Counting Crowes, Alanis Morsette, and Live come to mind.

Pagan
07-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Foo Fighters, Sheryl Crow, Melissa Ethridge, Corn, Counting Crowes, Alanis Morsette, and Live come to mind.
Yikes.

Was just thinking, it'll probably never fly because I don't think Disney would want them, but could you imagine The Rock & Roller Coaster Featuring Iron Maiden?

Images of Eddie everywhere?

"Run To The Hills" as the song cranking through the speakers?

Intense.

LarryBoy
07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I obviosly never want the RnR to be anything but Aerosmith, but this post has gotten me thinking. Who would be good for rockin out on a coaster? I still think Led Zepplin would be great, and unfortunately they lost their coaster in Myrtle Beach. Not many bands I like would make good coaster bands. One that keeps popping in my head is The Who. Baba O'reily, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, and My Generation, to name a few would be great coaster songs. Roger Daltry can scream with the best of them, and Pete Townsend is one of the best.
But I think most of us agere now that Aerosmith is the best band for RnR.

Mickey91
07-13-2009, 12:36 AM
Just asked my 10 year old if he would care if they took Aerosmith out of RNRC. He asked me who they would replace them with. I suggested Hannah or Jonas and he flatly rejected. He said he wouldn't mind if it was a ROCK band. He likes Jonas and Hannah but they are NOT ROCK!

They need to re-up with Aerosmith. But, I can totally see Disney doing something like this. :ack:

Mousemates
07-13-2009, 01:37 PM
I obviosly never want the RnR to be anything but Aerosmith, but this post has gotten me thinking. Who would be good for rockin out on a coaster? I still think Led Zepplin would be great, and unfortunately they lost their coaster in Myrtle Beach. Not many bands I like would make good coaster bands. One that keeps popping in my head is The Who. Baba O'reily, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, and My Generation, to name a few would be great coaster songs. Roger Daltry can scream with the best of them, and Pete Townsend is one of the best.
But I think most of us agere now that Aerosmith is the best band for RnR.

Pete Townsend would have way too much baggage (after the child porn allegations) to ever be associated with family friendly WDW. Not saying the allegations were true, or that Aerosmith is a paragon of virtue...just that the Who would be a hard sell at this point.

MarknTara
07-13-2009, 03:49 PM
No! I don't think they should change Aerosmith because it's such a classic band! I'm 15, but my mom and I LOVE that ride! We're so looking forward to it in September, and hope it stays same!

Septbride2002
07-13-2009, 03:58 PM
I *think* I have thought of the PERFECT band to replace Aerosmith - No Doubt. Lots of music to choose from, multi generation popularity, extremely popular.

~Amanda

Pagan
07-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I *think* I have thought of the PERFECT band to replace Aerosmith - No Doubt. Lots of music to choose from, multi generation popularity, extremely popular.

~Amanda
But visually nothing at all that would make a roller coaster experience anything other than snore inducing.

Good band, not for a ride though.

Dixie Springs
07-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Has anyone suggested Barry Manilow yet?

Now, since many of my attempts at humor are taken seriously, allow me to dispay the following complimentary emoticon: ;)

Mousemates
07-13-2009, 10:39 PM

Now, since many of my attempts at humor are taken seriously, allow me to dispay the following complimentary emoticon: ;)

Or we could go to the other extreme and shoot around the track to ultra fast guitars of Dragonforce.

hardingella
07-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Because of this ride my DD11 & DS8 do know who Aerosmith are and they love them. Hope they stay.
i heard that The Rolling Stone turned down the chance before it was offered to Areosmith, is that true?

TheRustyScupper
07-14-2009, 07:05 AM
1) If they change, I hope the band members are younger than their 60's.
2) Wrinkled and prancing in tights is not my idea of a rock band.

big blue and hairy
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
i heard that The Rolling Stone turned down the chance before it was offered to Areosmith, is that true?If the prevailing story is true, they didn't turn it down, they wanted a boatload of money...

Pagan
07-14-2009, 11:23 AM

I GOT IT!!!

Combine Barry Manilow, Jim Croce, and Christopher Cross for the music...and all the visuals could be Bob Ross paintings!

Each car would be equipped with it's own defibrillator to snap everyone back to conciousness at the end of the ride.

CLEAR!!!! :laughing:

Or we could go to the other extreme and shoot around the track to ultra fast guitars of Dragonforce.
Oh man, I can see the whiplash lawsuits already! :rocker:

Mousemates
07-14-2009, 09:03 PM
1) If they change, I hope the band members are younger than their 60's.
2) Wrinkled and prancing in tights is not my idea of a rock band.

:ditto:

by the way, my best guess (if they do change) would actually be Bon Jovi ...lots of hits songs and at the ripe old age of 47 he (jon bon jovi) would be a relative new comer. :mickey:

Ppufi
07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
If Hannah Montana or the JoBros come to this coaster I will personally sell all of my belongings and go down to Orlando to protest.

Now, I personally (as a 14 year old) want Aerosmith to stay. However, if they couldn't, I wouldn't mind a Queen Coaster. :number1:

disneyworld55925592
07-16-2009, 09:40 AM

im 17 and trust me everyone has heard of his music! We know about the hits "dude looks like a lady" walk this way" etc. its a perfect generation of music to use because it is one that basically everyone knows and its exciting! I would love to see it stay!

jakeybake
07-16-2009, 10:53 AM
The band will have to be/have:

1. Popular
2. Recognizeable to most
3. Long term staying power (no short term 1 hit wonders)
4. Drama Free (recent drug arrests, domestic violence, anti mouse in a tuxedo view etc.)
5. Sell Outs/In It For The Money (willing to sell their naming rigths and song collection for use on a theme park ride)

Jay

Pigtunia
07-16-2009, 05:40 PM
How could Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers be able to fit into RNR? It's ROCKnRollercoaster. Not POPRollercoaster.

LMAO!!

antngoof89
07-16-2009, 08:55 PM

1. Popular
2. Recognizeable to most
4. Drama Free (recent drug arrests, domestic violence, anti mouse in a tuxedo view etc.)
5. Sell Outs/In It For The Money (willing to sell their naming rigths and song collection for use on a theme park ride)

Jay

This is very true. I'm pretty sure this is a bogus rumor. I don't see Rock N Rollercoaster changing anytime soon. It's too popular and too awesome the way it is. I'd definitely stop riding the rollercoaster if it became Jonas Brothers dedicated. I can't stand those rock n roll Hanson Kids

bigoldkid
07-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey!!!! They can't get rid of (Rock N Roller Coaster) I was just at WDW in March 09 and bought the AEROSMITH T Shirt. I wear it proudly on my over 50 year body. Hmmm!!! I better wash it soon. LOL:-) I'm going down to WDW again in Aug./Sept. If that is true, I'd better stock up on Aerosmith items. Kiss would be good. :mickey::number1:

Marker
07-30-2009, 09:12 PM
I think it would be extemely difficult to replace Aerosmith with a band that has a broad ranging appeal, especially if you throw in the requirement that they have to be under 40 and wanted to stay with a "Rock" theme.

They might have better luck developing a fictional rock band rather than try to fit in another existing band. That way, everyone can gripe evenly, and it wouldn't be a battle of who like which band.

.... here's a thought, fresh off the brain cells.... since the theming in Disney's Hollywood Studio is classic Hollywood, and Rock-N-Roller Coaster's neighbor, Tower of Terror is themed to that era, bring the roller coast that doesn't fit with the overall theme back into the appropriate time period. I'm thinking black and white, Big Band, Glenn Miller-ish, "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" style. Maybe tie the two rides together, instead of racing off to a rock concert, you're rushed off to a performance scheduled for the Ballroom of the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

garymacd
07-31-2009, 08:49 PM
. . . an'a one
. . . an'a two
. . . an'a blast off

Well, him or Walter Ostanek and his multiple Grammy-winning all Polka accordian band!

"Roll out the Barrel" takes on a whole new meaning!

kemps@wdw
08-02-2009, 12:13 AM
The music MUST match the ride! So, it has to be some ROCKIN jams! Kiss is a great alternative. As most HM and JB fans can't ride this attraction anyway, they're really not an option (plus they're simlpy not rockin enough)
There are so many GREAT rock bands out there, lets either go w/what's worked for 10 yrs (maybe some new songs), or move on to a different band and "keep on rockin"!:rocker:

antngoof89
08-02-2009, 01:12 AM
I think it would be extemely difficult to replace Aerosmith with a band that has a broad ranging appeal, especially if you throw in the requirement that they have to be under 40 and wanted to stay with a "Rock" theme.

They might have better luck developing a fictional rock band rather than try to fit in another existing band. That way, everyone can gripe evenly, and it wouldn't be a battle of who like which band.

.... here's a thought, fresh off the brain cells.... since the theming in Disney's Hollywood Studio is classic Hollywood, and Rock-N-Roller Coaster's neighbor, Tower of Terror is themed to that era, bring the roller coast that doesn't fit with the overall theme back into the appropriate time period. I'm thinking black and white, Big Band, Glenn Miller-ish, "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" style. Maybe tie the two rides together, instead of racing off to a rock concert, you're rushed off to a performance scheduled for the Ballroom of the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

As a music major and a saxophone player, I'd be in love, however this is Hollywood Studios. The coaster will remain the same and continue to not match the overall theme.

wiltsan
08-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I want Aerosmith to stay and I think that having the ride at WDW has brought more awareness to the band. I agree with the poster that indicates that either Hannah or Jonas is too pop oriented and also the flavor of the month for many kids. Even if the younger crowd doesn't know who Aerosmith is - and there are many that do know them - it would do them some good to have a dose of good music in their lives. Finally, I think the younger crowd probably just likes the ride and doesn't really pay that much attention to the music?

Toughbug 2112
08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
I really want Aerosmith to stay, but I would love to see a band big now, like Green Day, Kings of Leon, or Daughtry if they do leave.
Kiss would be awsome too. They would pack a huge punch.

MarknTara
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I am 15 and absolutely LOVE Aerosmith and the ride! I would completely flip my wig if they changed it. I think even if some kids aren't familiar with the band, they can appreciate the great music and of course, the coaster itself.

Did someone say the contract ended in the summer? My mom and I are going in September and I wanted to know if the ride would still be open. Anybody know?:confused:

GrumpyFan
08-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Did someone say the contract ended in the summer? My mom and I are going in September and I wanted to know if the ride would still be open. Anybody know?:confused:

Don't worry. The ride is still open, and nothing has changed. This is all just speculation on what might happen if the contract with Aerosmith is not renewed.

IamBelle
08-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Any new news about this, did they resign a contract??

Mousemates
08-06-2009, 01:22 PM

They might have better luck developing a fictional rock band rather than try to fit in another existing band.

then maybe we could have a RocknRollercoaster featuring SpinalTap.

Pagan
08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
then maybe we could have a RocknRollercoaster featuring SpinalTap.
That would be awesome on SO many levels!

Pagan
08-06-2009, 03:20 PM

1. Popular
2. Recognizeable to most

Jay
Jay, you just described KISS to a "T".

MarknTara
08-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Don't worry. The ride is still open, and nothing has changed. This is all just speculation on what might happen if the contract with Aerosmith is not renewed.

Phew! Thanks. All this talk of changing the band was worrying me! :D

big blue and hairy
08-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Phew! Thanks. All this talk of changing the band was worrying me! :D

I'll be shocked if it changes any time soon.

HauntedMansionManiac
08-09-2009, 01:18 AM
I think Aerosmith should re-sign. If not because it is already an awsome ride and a great expierince, then because Aerosmith is an amazing band.

I can't see Disney signing some current bands like Greenday, Metallica, or Rise Against!. Even though these bands have some great tunes, they are not really family oriented. Like, really, Greenday is named after pot. :nono:

As for Hannah Montana or the Jonas brothers, I, for one, will ban the ride if they do sign. I hate both of them with a burning passion.

If Aerosmith doesn't sign I don't know who would replace the band as the theme. I think Kiss is a little dark (at least the look) for younger kids, and most of the classic bands that I would like to see in the ride don't really get much radio time. I think maybe a band like the Rolling Stones or The Clash would be a good choice.

BPATSMouse
08-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Aerosmith should stay but thats because I'm like most I don't like change :( This said KISS would be cool but as stated before they are a bit dark for Disney.(though KISS would sell their souls :thedolls: at the right price) I just hope Disney doesn't make a drastic changes.

Darin M
08-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Although Aerosmith is great and the ride fits well with the theme, every time I'm on this coaster, I always think about Armageddon. Not the event, but the film. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

I, personally, wouldn't want a Jona-Coaster, or a Hannah Montana Roller coaster Bonanza.

I like the G-Force idea, but that is taking a huge chance. That's like counting your chickens before they hatch. The G-Force film made some money at the box office, but will it stick around for 10 years. I don't know.

The Cars replacement would make a lot more sense, since they plan on making sequels and Pixar Films are sure fire hits all of the time.

If I could personally replace the Aerosmith theme with another, I would have to go with The INCREDIBLES. The film was action packed and the pace for the film itself would fit this attraction.

wizardmickey
08-16-2009, 10:47 PM
I certainly hope it remains as is (maybe reshoot the studio segment tho?) I've read through pages and pages of this and would offer my thoughts IF it should ever come down to Disney & Aerosmith not coming to a future agreement;
KISS of course DOES make the most sense. Visually, imagine the graphics and layover usuing their iconic imagery - a tunnel that starts out as Gene's tongue snaking out at ya! The color, the fire, the explosions! And yeah, the music!
ZZ Top would also be killer! Picture the limos being changed to look like the cars from some of their videos! Woooo!
Queen is already on Disney's Hollywood Record Label, so I'm sure that if wanted there could be some serious way of retheming it to fit a band already under contract.

GnR? Come on... really? They were good for about 2 albums, and now their an industry joke. And I'm sorry as well, but turning it into a teeny-bopper ride (seeing as how these teen stars fade to obscurity within 10 years if their lucky) simply wouldn't make much sense.

God Bless Aerosmith and their now canceled "cursed" tour! I wanna see 'em hang around and bounce back from the back luck they've had on this recent tour, and here it sounds like this board is already opening the door for them based on a rumor. Yeah, I'm a musician and have been playing in bands for almost 29 years, so I've been influenced by a lot of the names that have been bandied about here and I also really can respect that bands like Aerosmith, ZZ Top and KISS who are all up in their late 50's to early 60's are still out there giving it their 1000% while people sit back and decry how relevant they are or whether they truly have made an impact on the music industry.
ROCK ON!!!

mouseneer
08-17-2009, 04:32 AM
How about Zepplin ? They had a coaster named for them at Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach, but the park folded and was sold in around a year's time. The coaster is still there, but it isn't Led Zepplin anymore. So, You know Zepplin is up for it...they've already had their own coaster !! :rocker:

Mackflava99
08-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I'd rather it be Run-DMc