PDA

View Full Version : Refillable Souvenir Cup

emilysmommy
06-22-2009, 01:23 PM
I've heard there is a new refillable mug which can be filled at the resorts and at the Disney Parks. Is there any information I can find on this?

Thank you

biodtl
06-22-2009, 01:29 PM
You can buy one at your resort - it's about $12 for unlimited refills. But you can only use it at YOUR resort, and only on the current trip.

They also have them at the water parks (or at least at TL), which can be used only at the water park and only on that day.

We don't usually get them at the resort, since we spend little time in our room. But at TL, it was a must-have.

EmmMOM2
06-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Do they sell them at POFQ?
I noticed an online list of resorts that sold them and POFQ wasnt on there.
I bought one last year at AKL.
anyone know?

steamboat willy
06-22-2009, 02:23 PM
It is not a "new" re-fillable mug, we have mugs from way back at numerous resorts.
The mug can be used only at the resorts and water parks, no Disney Parks that I know of. We use them for morning/breakfast drinks and DW uses her's out by the pool each day. :vacation: while I have a couple of :beer: s. If you figure the price of buying two or more drinks per day, they are worth the $12 bucks. Each resort's mug is unique to that individual resort with color and or design. :cool:

WishingStar2006
06-22-2009, 02:29 PM
They are not specific to the resort anymore. This year they are a red design with wording about celebration.

The thing that puzzles me is the people who bring their souvenier cubs from years ago (example: still have the Wilderness Lodge Logo that hasn't been used in years) and use it for free refills during their current trip and NO ONE stops them from doing it!!! I have a kitchen cabinet full of those but I would never think of reusing them.

biodtl
06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
The thing that puzzles me is the people who bring their souvenier cubs from years ago (example: still have the Wilderness Lodge Logo that hasn't been used in years) and use it for free refills during their current trip and NO ONE stops them from doing it!!! I have a kitchen cabinet full of those but I would never think of reusing them.
I wouldn't either, but I learned this week that some groups encourage people to do so. My cousin belongs to a group that has an annual conference at WDW and she was getting text messages about how the cups aren't resort specific and that you can bring them back again and again to save money.

thejens
06-22-2009, 10:47 PM
On my last trip I realized that the refillable mugs are just not working for me for one reason: Nescafe :ack: :ack: :ack:

Seasonscraps
06-22-2009, 10:54 PM

Originally, guests were permitted to bring them back to the resort specified on the mug - they will still honor these mugs.

A few years ago (2001 or 2002?) Disney changed the policy and started printing the length of stay rule on the mugs - guests are not supposed to bring these mugs back.

But short of hooking a garden hose to the drink dispensers you'd probably be hard pressed to find a CM confront a guest about this issue. I once saw someone refilling a 7-11 jug in the food court.

jonahbear2006
06-23-2009, 01:46 AM
this is true. I filled a baby bottle up at the one at our resort (we HAD bought the baby his resort mug) and yet no one even bothered asking me if I had bought a resort mug. Granted, there's no difference in me filling the resort mug and dumping it into the baby bottle and then refilling the resort mug again, but no one bothered to check either.

Gaz10
06-23-2009, 04:58 AM
The only resort to still have its own mug appears to be CSR.I got told I couldn't use one of the new mugs and would have to buy a CSR one, just like the one I left at home:(

WishingStar2006
06-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally, guests were permitted to bring them back to the resort specified on the mug - they will still honor these mugs.

I didn't realize that!! So I can bring my Wilderness Lodge cups from years ago and get free soda for this upcoming trip? That would be really nice!!! Are you sure?

Seasonscraps
06-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I didn't realize that!! So I can bring my Wilderness Lodge cups from years ago and get free soda for this upcoming trip? That would be really nice!!! Are you sure?

As long as it doesn't have the length of stay verbage on it you should be ok. :)

TammiMcMan
06-23-2009, 04:53 PM
I didn't realize that!! So I can bring my Wilderness Lodge cups from years ago and get free soda for this upcoming trip? That would be really nice!!! Are you sure?If it was purchased prior to 2001/2002, then it was part of the lifetime refill policy. If you don't remember, just check the side of the mug. The refill policy will be printed there.

ransam
06-23-2009, 07:07 PM
One thing about the mugs....you can take it w/ you to the park, and while you can't get it refilled..you can put water in it from the fountains, most resturants will give you a to go drink after you eat and you can transfer that into your mug...and...we often take our mug to a concession stand or resturant and they have been more than happy to put ice in it...that's a lifesaver on a very hot day.

as far as Disney stopping anyone at a resort from filling up an unauthorized cup or container...I doubt they would ever do that. considering that soft drink is sold in bulk, and how much disney uses, I bet a typical 24 oz softdrink costs disney pennies...for how little it cost them, they will not want to upset a guest or risk a confrontation and spoil some child's Disney Magic...and personally i agree w/ them..it's just not worth it.
Not to mention.. think about how much softdrink is just dumped in the overfill reserve or spilled on the floor....the cast members, i would bet, are instructed not to stop a guest from refilling older cups...

TammiMcMan
06-23-2009, 07:30 PM
MODERATOR NOTE:

I think it's pretty much understood what Disney's take is on the policing of refillable mugs. The current posted policy is that the mugs are good for the length of your stay and as per INTERCOT's own policy, that's really where the discussion should end. I have not heard of a park refillable mug yet, but Disney's policy was recently relaxed so that if you are doing a split stay during the same vacation period, you no longer have to buy another mug at the 2nd resort.

crazeedizneefinatic
06-23-2009, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't either, but I learned this week that some groups encourage people to do so. My cousin belongs to a group that has an annual conference at WDW and she was getting text messages about how the cups aren't resort specific and that you can bring them back again and again to save money.

It's so funny that people will spend thousands on a vacation but worry about a $12 cup?? We spend $36 for 3 mugs and I think its a bargain for 11 days worth of drinks and we only use it for breakfast and returning to the resort at night and our "resort" days around the pool. It boggles my mind that people feel vindicated over stealing pop.....I have seen people do this time and time again when refilling my shiny new mug, I have even witnessed other things being filled such as a thermos. I just have to laugh.

CleveRocks
06-27-2009, 12:11 AM
The mug can be used only at the resorts and water parks, no Disney Parks that I know of.
A resort mug can't be used at a water park for free refills. The water parks have their own refillable mug program. It is a different mug unique to the water parks, and it involves buying a new barcode sticker to place on the mug during future visits. You can't just simply take your resort mug and use it to get refills at the water parks.

hokies4life
06-27-2009, 10:23 PM
There is an option at AK to purchase a souvenir cup and get it refilled for $1. We did this in April and we ended up at least breaking even since it was about $7-$8. We weren't on the DDP though, so if you are then it might not be something you're interested in.

:chipdale:

jimsgal05
06-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Okay this might sound strange..But when I was there in 97' at ASM I bought a cup used it. It HAD the 25th anv. logo on it too. it came in handy because it was so hot out... Well anyways so I can acually bring that back if I was to go to ASM again....since it was a "LIFETIME" cup with no restrictions on it about the length of stay.

Interesting...:mickey:

I don't know if I would ....

well I am buying one at POP this trip I like my icetea....and I like having a big cup at home for h2O...