PDA

View Full Version : USA Soccer

Advnt05
06-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Who else is surprised the USA made it through to the next round to play Spain? How can you look so bad and advance? The other teams look so much faster. I can't really put a finger on why we're playing so badly.

Strmchsr
06-22-2009, 11:36 AM
If they had played in the first 2 games like they played yesterday the results might have been different. They looked awesome yesterday, and it's not like Egypt is bad. The beat Italy and almost got Brazil. Going down a man early against Brazil is what did it. I think the US team was just too tired by the second half. Against Italy 2 of the 3 goals were very sloppy play, but the rest of the game the US actually played pretty well. They're not horrible, just seeming to have trouble getting over the hump. Maybe yesterday they did it. We'll see against Spain. If they get killed again then we'll know yesterday was a fluke. That talent's there, as yesterday showed, if they'll just consistently put it all together for 90 minutes.

mainemajor
06-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Against Spain the US came out and played to win unlike they do mst of the time when they play defensivly. It seems as though most of the time the US plays not to loose rather than to win. Against both Egypt and in the shocker against Spain they took the offensive and it payed off.
Good luck this afternoon as they face Brasil for the title.
USA, USA, USA :number1:

Advnt05
06-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Well, I was pretty happy with the way the US started. Even though Brazil was pummeling Howard in goal, it looked like we were playing well. The second half, drop into defensive mode and get pummeled even more. The US needs to do something with defense as we've looked weak at times.

Davyjones
06-29-2009, 03:35 PM
The first half of yesterday's match was pure class. Bradley's tactics were pretty much spot on. But the came the 2nd half, and almost everyone knows that a 2 goal lead is something that Brazil can overcome easily. So,Bradley decided to pull back and play defensively with counters. Obviously, it didn't work. I think he also waited too long to put some subs in. The guys looked tired by that time. I have lost faith in Sacha Kljestan also. Howard was brilliant but that can only last for so long while being pummelled by Brazillians in your goal. We should have attacked and continued to put pressure on Brazil.

I am extremely proud of our team (as I always am no matter what), but that is also mixed with frustration because, I believe, we could have won that match. :mad:

Scar
06-30-2009, 01:39 PM
I think he also waited too long to put some subs in. The guys looked tired by that time. I'm not a huge soccer fan but I like to watch one or two games a year, more during World Cup. I did think that Brazil really was able to utilize their subs much better than USA. We did look tired there at times.

The Reservoir Dog
07-02-2009, 08:46 AM
It was great to see USA 2-0 up at half time but it has been a well known cliche here that sometimes being 2-0 up at half time may cause problems in the way you approch the second half. Do you carry on playing as you were or do you play more conservative and deeper and protect your lead and play on the break.

With Brazil scoring so soon after half time probably put paid to any half time tactics that were discussed and your boys looked nervous and tired. It was only a matter of time before Brazil unpicked the lock.

Overall, especially the games with Egypt & Spain I thought you defended valiantly and tactically got it right. I think that it was that lack of experience at the highest level that made that second half against Brazil one half too many.

There is certainly alot to be gained from this.
The experince will be priceless and alot can be learned from this tournament.

Qualify for the World Cup. Pray for a bit of luck in the group stages and certainly the quarter finals will be something to aim for.

I know it's not setting the bar to the highest level but the quarter finals will be a very realistic target.

tjstrike
07-14-2009, 04:52 AM
20 years ago when the rest of the world was soccer, soccer, soccer, most of the U.S didn't even know what it was. As fast as we're catching up with the Brazils and Spains and Germanys they better watch out at the next world cup !!

"GO USA"