PDA

View Full Version : mild autism/ pdd

GINNY69
06-21-2009, 05:42 PM
MY son may have a mild case of Autism also know as PDD. Though we are waiting on a Exact Diagnosis. We are going to Disney in August and I was just curious if my son turns out to have PDD should I get the Guest Assistant Pass. My son is not hyper, but he does have his meltdowns if he is unsure of certain situations. His meltdowns don't last very long may a minute or two .. I was figuring where it will be really hot , i am not sure if he will get very irratable waiting in line for a ride. I know when he is happy he likes to jump around. I don't know.. I am very confused right now.. But for the most part I think he is patient.

Thanks for any input..

vorpalswrd
06-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Just to be technical - PDD by itself is not a disorder and is not otherwise known as Aspergers. Autism, Asperger's, and 3 other disorders fall under the PDD spectrum (pervasive developmental disorder). The only PDD diagnosis is PDD-NOS which is an atypical form of Autism, and is rarely used as a diagnosis.

I'm not trying to be snippy. It just helps all medical professionals, and your child, get the best advice/help/information needed.

Pirate Granny
06-21-2009, 08:08 PM
If I am reading your signature right...you were there last year...how did he do then? Unless he didn't go, you should have a good rule of thumb.

I like the Disneyland Paris criteria...you need to provide a note from your doctor to get special allowances...if you want to rent a wheelchair...that's fine with them, however, unless you have that note and you get a special pass from the Town Hall at Disneyland Paris...you don't get to go to the front of the line...it also only allows the person and three others to use this pass. I felt it really cut down a lot of unnecessary persons (mostly using the wheelchairs) to by-pass the lines...Other medical allowances (other than wheelchair users) also had to go to Town Hall...I believe with all the discrimination laws here in the US this would not be practical for Disney to enforce.

Most doctors I know here in the states would write someone who has breathing, heart or otherwise would be unable to take the walking a note...I'm talking about those persons, who I watch fight to see who will get to ride in the wheelchair after the ride...I once saw five different family members (all under the age of 12) throughout the day using the wheelchair...it was cheaper than getting strollers...

Hopefully they will figure out your son's diagnosis soon.
:pirate:

Mickey'sGirl
06-21-2009, 09:31 PM
GINNY69 -- First breathe, then realize that your son is the same kid today as he was before any diagnosis. Your DS, sounds a lot like our eldest son. But, DS5 likes to jump and spin -- and honestly with an apology and a smile, people are understanding. You're at Disney for Pete's sake!!

Where we live, PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorders Not Otherwise Specified), Autism and Asperger's are all filed together under ASD's, or Autism Spectrum Disorders - and are among the most common diagnoses made. Professionals in our area often refer to any of these conditions as ASDs, as they share many characteristics -- the main differences being in the severity of the deficit or the mightiness of the strength....hence the "Spectrum".

Both of my children have ASD's. DS11 has Asperger's and DS5 has a general autism diagnosis. They both have incredible strengths, and sometimes crippling weaknesses, and these things can change depending on the environment he is in at the time. Both have a hard time waiting for things, but honestly, what child doesn't. They are both sensitive to loud sounds, bright lights and crowds, and some days, Disney can be overwhelming. These are the days that we get to the parks early -- make use of the fast passes, and head on out when it starts to get crowded. It's incredible what a few hours in the pool, away from the park stimulation can do for them....

So as far as the GAC goes? We have never felt the need for one (although it would have made some days easier, I am sure). We are focused on teaching our kids to get on in the real world, and part of that world is that they need to wait their turn. That said, we have never EVER waited in a crazy 60 minute line or anything. WE really use the early morning/fastpass strategy. If we see that it is all getting to be too much, we will leave. We always gauge our days at the parks by how the boys are enjoying themselves.

This August will be DS11's 9th trip to the World, and DS5's 7th trip. We also travel elsewhere (California, NYC, UK), and although they travel well, our best holidays are always at WDW. The boys are familiar with the "terrain", and feel more in control of what is going on for them.

If you need to chat, or anything, PM me. I've done a lot of research, published articles and spoken to many different groups on Autism. It's a scary, but not well understood word. If I can help you out, I'd love to lend a hand.

I hope DS gets his diagnosis soon so you can get on with dealing with his needs. :hug:

teambricker04
06-21-2009, 11:35 PM
GINNY... I totally understand where you are coming from right now. My DS (2 yo) was officially diagnosed on Thursday with Autism. It is very overwhelming and stressful for my entire family right now. I don't think it matters where your child falls on the spectrum, it is hard to get your bearings and move forward while learning everything to help your child. I feel like I have had to hit the ground running.

I haven't thought about the GAC for my family. We do what other people do... don't wait in long lines. If it is over 25 minutes, I know that no one in my family can handle it. Just don't work yourself up over it... take it as it goes. Maybe if you feel you need a pass, then get one and use it if you need. If he is jumping around in line, I am sure he won't be the only one! How old is he? Can you bring things to entertain him in line? We do snacks and small games for waits. Nothing big or heavy.

Our other thing is meals... since we have had small children, we have not made more than two adrs for a trip. We find that CS works better for fending off the hunger fits my boys have been known to have. Plus, it helps us take it as it comes.

Don't stress, just plan. Talk about what is happening and what is expected ahead of time.

I agree with Mickey'sGirl... the hardest place to be is the not knowing part. Good luck... I will be thinking of you and your family!!!

jusandnew
06-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I understand why they say he has PDD. Most physch or who ever does the testing will not say until around 8 years old.This gives the child a chance to see what they are going to do without labeling.
I have a 11 year old who does the same thing as your child.(aspergers) I just got a DX. Ask your doctor or whoever you see to write a letter
recommendmenting a guest pass.
My son has meltdowns , but you do not know what will tregger them. Being in a large crowds with noise the GAC pass helps.This safed us a lot of problems. We still had some , but not like before.
We use MP3 and other things to help with the over stimilation. Again waiting in a line for 1-2 hours will not work. He also has aniexty issues with it.

GINNY69
06-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I just want to thank everyone for your post on this thread. My husband and I are planning this trip very carefully.. We usually take a mid-day break anyway and we go back to the resort for a rest or for a dip in the pool. Last year when we went to WDW this was not a issue of my son having PDD. This actually just came about the last few months when we started seeing some changes in him both emotionally and academically.. Alot of times when he gets upset I am not sure if he is just trying to get his way or if it has to do with PDD..So that we need to figure out and still he needs to know from right and wrong.. Anyway we have planned alot of buffet dinners so that way we can enjoy the characters and still get our food and eat rather fast if need be. Also My son is very loveable and he has his ups and downs like any other kid out there. I honestly believe he will be fine in disney. There is so much stimulation there to keep him occupied.. I know not to rush and try to get everything in.. We definately will take breaks and we will have a blast.. thanks again everyone..Thanks for the kinds words of advice.. i appreciate..

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-04-2009, 03:22 PM
It sounds like you have a great kid! I am sure you will have a great trip!

iluvdizney2
07-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I have 2 kids with autism (19, and 7) and also a 17 yr old who has had multiple strokes and suffers from mental breakdowns from the fact his brain is atrophying....knowing all this, we still all go to disney and stay for 10 days and enjoy a break. We plan on doing 2-3 rides in a day, see characters and then walk around just seeing the sites or go back and swim. Basically we do not do a pass, we could, and have been told to get one but we dont need one. We keep things in a backpack for meltdowns, and dare I say "bribe" with "if we do this ride and one more, then we will go for a long walk and find the ducks"...in other words almost always we can make it work. We are there for the fun and joy of it all not to make it impossible for the kids to succeed. Yes we have used the pass but only when they all have been off and begin to cause harm to themselves in some way (throwing faces to the ground and head banging type things) so, we go with the flow...even in nasty crowds and heat. go early, leave early, then go back late. utilize fast passes and EMH. It really does help.

pugslave
07-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a 9yo DD with Aspergers and we have been to WDW many times with her. My best recommendations would be to get earplugs. My DD has sensory issues, and everything at WDW is LOUD. We just get the squishy ones at Walmart and they work great because they soften the loud noises, and she can still hear us. Also, my DD chews gum and you have to bring your own because they don't sell it there. We haven't had to use the GAC, and its important to note that even if you have one, it doesn't allow you to skip the line, it merely gives you a more quiet area to wait. My DD likes to read, so we always have something with us to give her if she gets antsy. Also, it's going to be hot, so take some time to relax and enjoy the pool. Remember its a vacation, and your not going to be able to do EVERYTHING that Disney has to offer. A favorite place of my DD is the Boneyard at Animal Kingdom. It's filled with small stone gravel, and you dig for "dinosaur" bones. It totally settles her down, and it's a nice and cool place to sit and relax a bit. Best of luck, and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

DVC2004
07-06-2009, 09:36 PM
My son is now 12 and has been classified as having PDD since he was 6. He does really well. He loves Disney and I can honestly say he never has had any sort of issues at WDW. My advice on the pass- if you think you may need it go ahead and get it. You can decide whether or not to use it based on him and the day and the circumstances, right? That way it's there if you need it and if not no worries.:thumbsup: