PDA

View Full Version : AKL vs Poly

akaDisneyDreamer
06-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Our last two trips, we've stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and fell in love with it! But, we are considering trying the Polynesian next time for a new experience. Has anyone tried both of these places and if so which is your favorite of the two?

faline
06-20-2009, 06:08 PM
My favorite is the Poly. While it is wonderful to have the view of the animals right outside your door, we love the Poly's theming and its proximity to the Magic Kingdom as well as the easy access to both the Contemporary and the Grand Floridian. Plus, you are just a short walk away from the monorail to Epcot!

Aggie97
06-20-2009, 07:22 PM
My favorite is the Poly. While it is wonderful to have the view of the animals right outside your door, we love the Poly's theming and its proximity to the Magic Kingdom as well as the easy access to both the Contemporary and the Grand Floridian. Plus, you are just a short walk away from the monorail to Epcot!

I completely agree! I think it's hard to beat the Polynesian's transportation options. We also love having easy access to the other monorail resorts for dining and shopping. :thumbsup:

tikiman
06-22-2009, 09:57 AM
I have been to the AKL a few times and the Polynesian many. I thing the AKL has great themeing and the food is so good I visit the resort almost every trip. I am not a fan of its location and not being able to get to other resorts like at the monorail resorts or the Epcot area resorts and the rooms are a little small for me (like the WL) so I prefer the Polynesian with its better views, transportation options and larger rooms but both have great themeing. Try it and see what you think.

KatMark
06-22-2009, 10:11 AM
We have stayed at the Poly numerous times and absolutely love it. Our last visit was in 2004...a special treat for our oldest DS and his "then" girlfriend for his high school graduation trip. We now always stay at our moderate of choice because of the high cost of the Poly and we no longer travel with small children so we're not concerned with being "near the MK". Since we cancelled our trip this year, we are doing a split stay next year--the first four nights at the AKL (Savannah View) and our last five nights back at our "home" resort (CSR). I think the Poly is definitely worth trying once.

ThanxForNoticin
06-22-2009, 12:04 PM
It probably depends on what you like to do during your vacation. We love both AKL and Poly. Given the choice now (especially since our kids are older and we spend less time at MK), we would definitely opt for AKL. It's just a super resort, well-themed, great service, and very peaceful. If you tend to spend more time at MK or eat at many of the monorail resorts, the location of the Poly is perfect.

You cannot go wrong with either, though. Both are amazing places to stay.

thejens
06-22-2009, 11:02 PM
OOOooo that is such a tough decision! I love them both. I think AKL is more beautiful and exotic and classy and unique and I love watching the animals. Yet, I fell in love with the Poly. The actual lobby doesn't do a lot for me (I seem to be in the minority in this,) but the pool area and grounds are great. I loved walking from my room to the pool and watching the kids the pool with the view of Magic Kingdom twinkling at me. It was fantastic to go to MK for the day, come back and swim and dine (Captain Cooks is a great quick service!) and then just hop on the monorail to catch one more ride and Wishes. The rooms very nice and more spacious than AKL. My kids vote for the Poly because they love the water mice and pool slide. If you haven't stayed there, I think you should give it a try. (I still have a soft spot for AKL.)

threeh
06-23-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm gonna give a nod to the Poly. The big thing for me is location and transportation. I love being able to walk to TTC and catch a monorail to EPCOT. Also a boat or monorail to MK. I do love the AKL and can't wait to give it a try but hands down Poly has the best transportation options.

Happy planning!!!:mickey:

Mom2princesses
06-27-2009, 12:42 PM
The AKL is very beautiful we have gone there for dinner at Boma. But the Poly is our "home" in WDW. It is so peaceful and relaxing. The grounds are beautiful the transportation can not be topped. Seeing the castle and the MK totally puts you in that magical Disney feeling.

The Volcano pool is lots of fun and the quiet pool is great too.

I would do the Poly and go visit the AKL for dinner! AKL really is too far away from everything.

andreallybadeggs
06-27-2009, 06:40 PM
PP's have outlined the strengths of each resort well. Love them both but since you've experienced AKL I'd go for the Poly.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-27-2009, 07:44 PM
I haven't stayed at either but have visited both. I think I'd like the Poly better because it's closer to the action. Plus I've been to Hawaii so it makes me feel like I'm back there.