PDA

View Full Version : The Force is with Us - Day 4

MOJoe
06-20-2009, 01:30 PM
The Force Is With Us - June 9th

Today we are going to AK. Before going to bed last night, Solo asks me to wake him up early so we can ride Everest. Solo is not an early riser. So i am skeptical his plan will work. But after my 7 AM latte, i wake him up. He gets right out of bed, without complaint. As we get ready, Minnie stirs. "We're going to ride Everest until you show up." i whisper as she lays in bed. "Crazy boys." she mutters.

Solo and i get to AK around 8:30. We see the opening show, and "fast walk" to Everest. Turning right, we run past "Finding Nemo." We are the first to arrive, but the CM's made everyone go through the the normal queue, which began near the fastpass machines. So we were not on the first train of the day. But we got in the very last seat on the 2nd train. A great seat for this attraction. "Let the adventure begin!"

As soon as our first ride was over we hustle through the gift shop, laughing and giving high 5's. "You guys are going to get right back on, aren't you?" a CM observes. "Oh Yeah!" We ride twice more, in the rear when my familiar failure pops up again. "Where's my hat?" i ask Solo. He starts laughing. "You left in on the train!" We are being seated in the very front car before i notice i didn't have my white Intercot cap. I tell the CM loading the train. "Check lost and found in the gift shop." he yells as we are pulling away from the station. I really would hate to lose this cap, pins and all. So we go straight to lost and found, and ask the CM. "I left my white ball cap on the ride just 10 minutes ago. Do you have it?" Without a word she reaches in a basket, pulls it out and hands it to me. "Thank you so much." Quite relived, Solo and i go back to our Everest marathon. We get a total of 5 rides in before Minnie calls.

Satisfied with our adventure, we tell Minnie to meet us at the Safari. Instead of getting in line, we get fastpasses, and hop the train to Consevation Station. This is our first trip here. It's not somewhere i could spend half a day, but worth a look. A monkey was getting some dental work, and the boys were fascinated by the typical boy stuff - frogs, spiders and snakes. The biggest draw for Minnie was the air-conditioning.

After our train ride back to Africa, we get right on KS. The elephants are moving around, but near mid-day, most of the animals are relaxing in the sun. For lunch we try Yak & Yeti carry out. We find a nice spot in the shade back towards Flights of Wonder. Someone asks us about the food. "Good, but nothing you couldn't get at your local Chinese place." "Thanks for the tip." they say.

Next Minnie wants to see Finding Nemo. There is still 30 minutes before the show starts, but the room is over half filled. We still get good seats, a few rows back from the main isle. We love this show, but today the sound was not quite right. The singers were not as talented as in previous visits and the musical score was way too soft, leaving us uninspired. We still enjoyed it, but agreed this was the weakest Nemo we have experienced.

Indy wants to ride Kali River, but when we get there the wait is 80 minutes. "Let's swim!" he pleads as we consider the wait. It is getting hot, for the first time this week. So i propose, "It's Tough to be a Bug, then back to the pool." We all agree. In the real world Minnie is terrified of bugs. Even little tiny ones. God forbid she sees a spider in the house. She'll scream my name until i come running with something to flatten it. So it's funny to me that she loves the Bug show. With all the things going on in there, i would think she would be scared to death. Instead, this is her favorite movie in WDW. Indy, on the other hand, who is always catching anything that moves in the yard, absolutely hates this show. Go figure.

Anyway, after Bugs, we go back to the BC for a long swim. We enjoy the slide, waterfalls, whirpool, and the sinking sands. We play volleyball and Indy dances with the lifeguards. This a fun place. And big too. Indy gets out of our sight for what seemed like a long time. Minnie got a little concerned, but he showed up just yards from where he told us he would be.

After our swim, i hear the British Invasion playing, while sitting on my patio. I run over and catch a set and pay a visit to the Rose & Crown. Then back to the room, we get ready for dinner. Tonight we're going to my favorite. The Brown Derby. I just love the elegance of this place. And the food has never disappointed. Cobb Salad and a Bombay Martini, for starters. Minnie has the steak, but the fillet is gone from the menu, so i have Salmon. The steak is good, but it's not the heavenly, melt in your mouth fillet of Le Cellier. It is more lean and meaty. A real steak lovers cut. My Salmon was the real treat here. It was almost like they used the same recipie from Le Cellier, only substituting Salmon for steak. Very rich and delicious.

After dinner, we boat over to Epcot for Illuminations. We get a good spot on the bridge between England and France. Behind us, there is a huge thundercloud. Lightning flashes across the sky as Illuminations is going on. Very unusual experience, as the fireworks seemed to echo off the cloud. Indy is frightened, and in spite of my assurance the storm is moving away from us, not toward us, he wants to go to the room. So Solo and i go to Test Track, as tonight Epcot has EMH.

But tonight is special for another reason. After riding TT, we go to the ESPN club, because there, in HD glory, on more televisions you can count, game 6 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs is on, simultaneously with game 3 of the Lakers - Magic NBA Finals. We get a table, drinks,and are immersed in sports heaven. "If there was any place in the world i could choose to be, right now, this is it." i tell my son. He beams and smiles in agreement. Solo has always been a sports nut. At age 5 his tv show of choice was SportsCenter. So being here, at this moment is euphoric, for both of us. He smiles like i haven't seen in years, as we enjoy the atmosphere and the games.

After our teams win, we slowly walk back to the room, talking about what a great day we have had together. Being a teen, Solo is much harder to bond with than his younger brother. But today has been our day. I can't remember when i have seen him happier. Another father and son brought closer to one another, thanks to Disney. And though no one gave us any free treats today, the gift of being together at such a great place and time in the sports world is priceless. No Cast Member has anything to give that is as valuable as the joy my oldest son and i share at the end of this day.

mouseketeer mom
06-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Awww!!! Its amazing the bonding that happens at WDW. I agree. My kids actually hold hands sometimes while there and at home that NEVER happens..just the opposite actually!! Great day! Thanks!:mickey:

ElenitaB
06-20-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't know what's in the air at WDW, but I always find that DS and I manage to have a really good time together... one of the reasons we go back and then go back and... well, you know the end of that story. :blush:

So you were enjoying the R&C quite a bit this vacation, huh? ;)

faline
06-20-2009, 05:19 PM
It does sound like a day of wonderful memories for your and your son! Thanks for sharing it with us!

thejens
06-21-2009, 12:03 AM
I love it that your teams even won. It sounds like another lucky day for you. You are right though, the true magic of Disney is in all the wonderful moments shared with family.

pdrlkr
06-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

yjgirl32
06-21-2009, 10:31 PM
That is priceless(even more so because the Pens win Game 6). If I could have one wish for my DH & DS6 it would be they get to spend time like that also. Great report.

DizNee143
06-22-2009, 02:02 PM
of course another great day!!! :mickey:

pink
06-30-2009, 07:42 PM
It sounds like your trip is as close to perfect as you can get so far. That is nice that you and your son could bond. :mickey:

Lizzie
06-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Such a great day. Were gonna have to save up to stay at Beach Club some time the location sounds amazing.