PDA

View Full Version : Dog poop smell problem

Mr. Brass Bonanza
06-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Our dogs are now confined to a small area to do their business, which for the past few months has just been dirt. Now, even when I pick the poop up, the area smells. Someone suggested putting lime down, which I did the other day. It worked for a few days, but now that smell is back again.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to neutralize this smell?

mixelate
06-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I believe lime will only work for so long, you would have to keep putting it down.
I think you might be out of luck? :( I do not know of anything that would work... unless maybe you water your grass? That might help flush some of the smell away.

RenDuran
06-19-2009, 09:51 PM
How about putting down some straw? Would your dogs do their business on that sort of texture?

disneyboundagain
06-19-2009, 10:21 PM
I couldn't resist reading a post that had the word "poop" in the title :D:D

We had the same problem a few years ago. We fixed the problem by switching to a different dog food. We don't feed our dog the cheap stuff, either. DW insists on buying the food that is almost as expensive as ground meat, and that gets pretty expensive when we buy a 35# bag every 3 weeks. Can you tell that it bugs me???

Madame Leona
06-20-2009, 08:38 AM
My mom had the same problem with the wild animals in her yard that came to eat her corn. She put corn at the back of her yard to keep the racoons and such away from her house. Anyway, she used something called sweet pdz (I think) they use it in horse stalls. She got it at the local feed store.

Stitchahula
06-20-2009, 08:53 AM
If I remember correctly you don't want to put lime down. It can irritate their paws and if they lick them can upset their stomachs. Have you thought about shavings/straw for their area. I remember when I could smell my dogs urine really strong for a while when I never could before I found out shortly after wards I was pregnant. Have you tried just rinsing the area with water?

RenDuran
06-20-2009, 06:03 PM
I couldn't resist reading a post that had the word "poop" in the title :D:D

Every time I see the title of this thread, I have to laugh!

mixelate
06-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Cheaper dog food = more poop! lol. Unfortunately this is true.

thrillme
06-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Buy the better dog food...The better dog food provides the dog with more nutrients and produces less waste. I've noticed a difference in my dog after switching to Nutro but I've heard good things about others such as IAMS, Ekunuba, etc.

Check with your local Pets Mart or Petco...you might even check out a feed store. They've probably already had someone with your problem and have a solution. You might even consider an "air nuterlizer". I don't know how big the dogs are but if they're small a "litterbox" might work for them too.