PDA

View Full Version : another question about children on DDP

rain
06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
I was reading the other thread and did not want to hijack the thread so I'm starting one more specific about my question. Specifically concerning CS, I have been reading some menus of places I was interested in visiting and saw that they only had one offering on the child's menu. I know how the information reads in terms of children eating off the children's menu but do they hold to this when they only have one offering. One of the popular items I have seen is corn dog nuggets and my kids do not eat corn dogs.

DizneyRox
06-19-2009, 04:50 PM
If there is a child menu, you need to order off the child menu.

At CS locations, they only allow you order as many adults meals as there are adults listed on your Keys to the World card per order.

Disneyatic
06-19-2009, 04:57 PM
The counter service kids meal offerings at most places are not varied...get ready to eat alot of corn dog nuggets and mac & cheese!

We liked the ease of the dining plan, but they really need to expand the offerings on the kids meal, like offering a smaller portion of the main adult dishes.....At both counter and sit down places. Our DD does not eat "typical" kid food so we really struggled with finding something she liked.

DANAM
06-19-2009, 05:23 PM
At the counter services I have to admit the pickings are slim. Hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken nuggets, the occational chicken leg or pizza but that's about it. So when we pick our Table Services I make sure we go somewhere that has something other than those choices.

Also, I don't think you could pick something else if your child doesn't eat that. I know that Pecos Bill in Magic Kingdom we always had a problem. Franks and beans is what they used to have for kids. My kids will not eat that. So, after getting it and no one would eat a couple of time we decided to cheat the system slightly and ordered them an adult burger to share. I have noticed that they have changed the menu but I never knew why a burger or chicken wasn't offered with something like franks and beans.

DizneyRox
06-19-2009, 07:58 PM
... I have noticed that they have changed the menu but I never knew why a burger or chicken wasn't offered with something like franks and beans.
Thank the DDP. When an adult costs $40 and a child costs $11 per day, the menu will be slim for children. Franks and beans are much cheaper than hamburger and chicken.

Pirate Granny
06-19-2009, 08:08 PM
I am a very light eater...and before the DDP, I would sometimes order the children's meal....I got on the menu web-site and there are a lot of other options for childrens meals...and we would eat at the place that had the particular meal I wanted...HS has a sloppy joe option, Cosmic Rays has numerous options...Pizzafari in AK has some good choices...and the Sunshine in EPCOT has different unusual items. Unfortunately...the adult needs to go where the best item for their children is...now, I have gotten food at Pizzafari and walked it over to the Flaming Tree and eaten with the family...it's just not as easy and you have to work it out BEFORE you arrive...
good luck
:pirate:

crltkcagle
06-19-2009, 11:34 PM
The children's menu are pretty much slim pickings everywhere you go. Its the usual hamburgers, hotdogs, nuggets, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, etc. Unless you go to a family buffet resturant like Ohana's or Bomas.

wire0monkey
06-20-2009, 07:48 AM
You can get around this with some careful planning.

Check out the on-line menus for CS places and try to pick ones that have something for your kids. I've found something that works in just about every park.

I also try to use my CS credits in Epcot as much as possible, because there is more variety in the kids' menus in the World Showcase restaurants.

I've also switched out a kids' meal and my meal. We order one kids' meal and one adult meal. I let the kid pick the adult meal and eat it. I order off the children's menu (usually a cheeseburger) and eat that.

RockinRollerMom
06-20-2009, 11:15 AM
I've also switched out a kids' meal and my meal. We order one kids' meal and one adult meal. I let the kid pick the adult meal and eat it. I order off the children's menu (usually a cheeseburger) and eat that.

:ditto: We also have ordered 2 adult CS meals for my DD, DH and myself to share. We find it is often enought food for the 3 of us. You can often get fruit or a yogurt for a desert and that helps. We save DD's CS credits for her breakfast at the resort. We find the breakfast options to be better and something that she will eat.

princessesmom
06-20-2009, 12:04 PM
I think the children's menus are a major downside to the ddp. And in some cases it might be reason enough to not get the plan. With that being said, there are options if you look around. As a previous posted pointed out, Epcot has some very good choices. Someone else pointed out the the CS portions are quite large and in many cases you can share. We did this a lot on our last trip and my two children who are under 9 were always able to eat something they were happy about. There are 6 of us (2 children over 9) so we had a lot of flexibility. We actually ended up with 8 CS meals leftover that we didn't use by the end of the trip. Check out the menus online to find restaurants that have options that will work for your children. Or don't use the dining plan, then you can order whatever you like!

DANAM
06-22-2009, 02:27 PM
I think the children's menus are a major downside to the ddp. And in some cases it might be reason enough to not get the plan. With that being said, there are options if you look around. As a previous posted pointed out, Epcot has some very good choices. Someone else pointed out the the CS portions are quite large and in many cases you can share. We did this a lot on our last trip and my two children who are under 9 were always able to eat something they were happy about. There are 6 of us (2 children over 9) so we had a lot of flexibility. We actually ended up with 8 CS meals leftover that we didn't use by the end of the trip. Check out the menus online to find restaurants that have options that will work for your children. Or don't use the dining plan, then you can order whatever you like!

This is the way I look at it. If you use the DDP the CS meal is free for kids. Almost every buffet is 10.99 or above and some TS meals are more than that. There are some really good options at Epcot and we do share meals as well.