PDA

View Full Version : Payment Methods from a Canadian Perspective!

Georgia092473
06-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Hello All!

I'm in the pre pre-planning stages of making a trip to WDW :party:. I had seen an old post (from 2002!) where, after making the reservations they made arrangements with their bank to set up the reservation as an online payment. I LOVE that idea, but haven't seen any later posts about it. I think the idea was one originally written about by LottaLubes? I just wanted to know if anyone now (in 2009) had tried this method, especially anyone travelling from Canada. Any tips in regards to this (ie specific banks) would be greatly appreciated!!

G.

offwego
06-19-2009, 10:42 AM
It's unlikely that you could make the payments online via a canadian account. You would likely need to set up a USA based account (not us funds but USA based) in order to do this. (RBC has a division for this not sure of other banks)
Another alternative is to use a credit card billed in USD (TD and RBC offer these as does BMO I believe) so that you can control the exchange rate moment if that's your wish.

You can still mail in USD money orders to make payments as well. However by and large for the ease of it we have always just used a canadian dollar credit card and paid the exchange fee at the time of the transaction being posted.

Georgia092473
06-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks! I'll look into Royal Bank. Can't wait to finalize it!!!:mickey:

Pally
06-19-2009, 08:08 PM
A couple of years ago we opened a US money account and have a US credit card from BMO. We paid for our trip with the US credit card and paid the credit card with our US money account. This way we are able to save US money at the highest rate available therefore getting the best US exchange rate without the credit card fees and exchanges which might not be the best. This has worked out great for us. Also, when we are on vacation we are thinking in US dollars instead of constantly exchanging money in our heads. :mickey:

aurora, ariel, and bell
06-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure if this will help or not. I booked our trip through a travel agent at Sears and she found a package that was in Canadian dollars, that really saved us money due to the exchange rate had we booked directly through disney.

Georgia092473
06-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the tips!!!

What I like about this payment method is that the payment is out of my hands (and away from the temptation to spend it) cuz if it's in my bank, I'm libel to spend it!

I checked with my bank (CIBC) and they said it could be set up as long as the company (Disney) was okay with it being done. The clerk I spoke to wasn't sure if this would be possible if I booked thru a travel agency though instead of directly thru Disney.