PDA

View Full Version : Buffet alone with 3 children???

KAT1811
06-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Here are the details of our vacation. DH, DD#2 (turning 5 on our vacation), DD#3 (2 3/4), DS (8 months), and myself will be in the World for a week when our DD#1 (13) joins us. She is in junior high and cannot miss two full weeks of school so she'll be joining us mid trip. On the night that she arrives (somewhere in the 6:00pm hour, flights are not out yet) I will be in the World by myself with the small children as DH will be picking her up at the airport. We'll be alone for dinner. I am debating going to Chef Mickey's with them.

I am a very adept mother and can juggle a lot and I have very well behaved children (most of the time; like all children they have their moments) that are used to bouncing around. My only concern would be manuvering the buffet by myself with all the kids. DS will be in his Baby Bjourn to give me use of both my hands. DD#2 is capable of carrying her own plate and I should be able to juggle both my plate and DD#3's. I should be fine on the busses (we are staying at OKW) since in my experience there is always a gentleman or woman willing to help a struggling person on the bus in Disney (one of the reasons I love Disney so much).

What do you think? I guess I need a few words of encouragement. Anyone ever done this? I've traveled alone with the children but I have always had DD#1 there to help wrangle the little ones. (DH works 100+ hours a week March - November). The little ones and I are out often around here but not at a buffet. We ususally dine at a sit down eatery. But the way our schedule looks this is the only meal I think DH & DD wouldn't really miss and I figured the kids would be excited to go and not upset that Daddy was leaving for a bit. (I thought about Whispering Canyon but DH loves the WL so I think he'd be upset if he missed it)

DizneyRox
06-19-2009, 08:13 AM
I'd go with a family style instead of a full buffet. But that's just me...

Patricia
06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
It's been my experience, juggling 3 small ones alone, that most CM's will help if needed. I'd go for it. The older 2 will love the napkin twirling and the characters.

:mickey:

thrillme
06-19-2009, 08:30 AM
If you have any issues the wait staff will most certianly help you out. I've seen the waitstaff help people out who have young children. They fill up their plates then the waitstaff will help carry it to the table. It really doesn't take a whole lot of time to simply carry a plate to a persons table.

Afterwards...if they want "more" you can simply ask the waiter/waitress to help you out. I'd schedule a "time" when they are the least busy. You could also recommend a table immediately next to the buffet in case you need to get up and get something.

If they do provide the extended service I would recommend tipping them generously.

If I had the power of invention behind me I would invent a tray cart. Just a little cart that stands by the buffet where you could put a tray or plate on. The waitstaff will take it from your table when you sit down and return it to the buffet. This will come in handy not only for parents with multiple children but for elderly or disabled who have difficulty carrying a tray.

mouseketeer mom
06-19-2009, 08:30 AM
You know, when I first read the topic, I thought, NO WAY! But really, I think you can do it. If you have/can get an ADR for Chef Mickey's, why not? It may not be super easy, but who cares? You're at Chef Mickeys, you can be sure the kids will be so completely entertained and good for you there. Getting the food might be a little tricky, but you sound like you do know how to juggle really well. Me too, and my three are older now, but I would've just done it. I mean, whats the worst that can happen? You drop some food or a plate?? No worries, it'll be an experience you'll be proud and happy that you did. Your older one especially will remember eating with Mickey Mouse and Mom!

murphy1
06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
I just went to a buffet at 1900 with my three girls, they are 9, 7 and 5, you are very brave! I think it's doable for you, sure. I think the characters will keep the kids entertained, too. Another thought I had, maybe call that babysitting service they have and one of those ladies can help you through dinner. If I was down there then or still lived there, I'd help you myself:)

TheRustyScupper
06-19-2009, 08:49 AM
1) Do a family-style eatery.
2) Nothing worse than kids running around a restaurant.
3) And, this seems to be your fear.

wdwfansince75
06-19-2009, 09:14 AM
I admire your resolve, but suggest that maybe you are pushing the envelope more than you need to.....Don't know how tall your soon to be 5 year old is, but there are lots of kids trying to put hot food on their own plates....and that alone is a challange....Chef Mickey's will be packed....and it's like driving cars....you can only control your own....and you can have an accident anyway. Try a family style, like Whispering Canyon or Ohana.....or, if you have park hoppers, try the Garden Grill....it has characters, and great food....

DVC2004
06-19-2009, 09:19 AM
I agree- try a family style buffet like the Ohana Character breakfast. If your kids were older I would say no problem- but Chef Mickey's is chaos and kids (even well behaved) get extremely excited and riled up there. It's loud and kids are running everywhere. It will not be enjoyable for you to have to constantly run back and forth to the buffet then try to keep the kids at the table until the Characters come.

offwego
06-19-2009, 10:46 AM
I think that LTT, is family style as well as Ohanas (which I know is family style) and you could also consider the Garden Grill which is family style.

Frankly while you might be able to do it I think a family style option would allow you to enjoy the time with your children with much less stress, leaving you to just have fun (and even have a hand free for a pic or two to show your DH)

Belster
06-19-2009, 12:19 PM
My DH and I took our three kids in October and were were very annoyed after the buffets. We are not typically annoyed people...but trying to make sure you see the characters and get your food and get back to the table without a spill can be a challange...I would opt for family style.

Our October 09 trip will not include any buffets.

KAT1811
06-19-2009, 12:27 PM
We are already doing 'Ohana a few nights later so I wouldn't want to repeat. I really want to stay out of the parks. And I am not worried about the children misbehaving (they would never run around). I am more concerned with getting to/from the buffet and it looks like many of you feel that the CMs would lend a helping hand if needed and truthfully that was mostly what I was wondering.

On our last trip DH had to leave a day early for an emergency meeting so I was in Disney, alone, 5 months pregnant with a 11, just 4, & barely 2 yearold. And I had to get all of us along with the double stroller, carseat, and all the carryons to the airport and on the plane alone. The children couldn't have been better! I was SO proud of them. It was quite the sight as I also picked up McDonald's for us to eat after boarding.

DisneyTwinsMommy
06-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I am a Mommy to 20-month old twins. I DO NOT let the fact that I have 2 toddlers stop me, we go everywhere and as a result my boys are exceptionally well behaved. Mommies are super humans that can handle anything they put their minds to. Go and have a great time! I would explain the situation to the hostess and ask to be seated as close as possible to the buffet.

IF you think a buffet is too much, Garden Grill would be a great alternative. Have a fabulous vacation! :mickey:

Mammabruski
06-19-2009, 04:32 PM
I personally wouldn't count on someone helping you get on the bus with your little ones... When we were there in May, my DM was sick, so my DD and I (2 years old) ended going to the MK by ourselves. I am also (very obviously) 7 months pregnant. While in line to go home, I struck up a conversation with a family of 3 women (a mom and two grown daughters in their 20's). We chatted about our trips and my new baby. Well, when I was getting on the bus, carrying my stroller (a small one), my diaper bag, and my 2 year old, my stroller wheels got stuck on the door of the bus. The nice ladies just stood there, right behind me, as I struggled to get my wheels free. No help. No offer. Nothing. They weren't even carrying bags. So I wouldn't count on help.

But, it sounds like you are more than capable, so you might be just fine in transit.

Here's another option, since you're staying at OKW, perhaps you could have a picnic at the resort, or make dinner at "home". But then again, you are on vacation and I can't imagine cooking on vacation....

Good luck!

DANAM
06-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I would make sure to get a table very close to the buffet. I would mention that you will be alone at the buffet with 3 very small children when I made ADR's and I would again say something at the desk when you check in. I don't see how they wouldn't honor your request. I know sometime Chef Mickey's there's a wait to be seated but I would wait for a close table. That way if someone wanted a little something. You wouldn't have to pick up the other 2 children eating to run to the buffet for a piece of bread, let's say. I know you can't count on a close table but I am sure it would help you out a bunch. Good Luck and I am sure you will do great.

DVC2004
06-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I agree in that you may not get much help from your server. Usually Chef Mickey's is pretty busy and right now at WDW staff is pretty lean with the economy and lay offs. They may not be able to help is all I would be concerned about.

What I was mentioning earlier- I didin't mean your kids will be running around- alot of other peoples kids there do run around. It's just been very chaotic. Good luck and it sounds like you are prepared so that is always good.:thumbsup:

dancin Disney style
06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
I would do it.....my kids are older now but when they were little it never stopped me and I'm always puzzled by people that seem to feel handicapped by little ones.

I would suggest booking an early ADR and then when you arrive explain your situation and ask for a table right beside the buffet. Even if it means waiting for that table. You can then leave the older 2 at the table if you need to get up and get something but you will be able to see them.

Disney Doll
06-22-2009, 12:43 PM
You know, when I first read the topic, I thought, NO WAY! But really, I think you can do it. If you have/can get an ADR for Chef Mickey's, why not? It may not be super easy, but who cares? You're at Chef Mickeys, you can be sure the kids will be so completely entertained and good for you there. Getting the food might be a little tricky, but you sound like you do know how to juggle really well. Me too, and my three are older now, but I would've just done it. I mean, whats the worst that can happen? You drop some food or a plate?? No worries, it'll be an experience you'll be proud and happy that you did. Your older one especially will remember eating with Mickey Mouse and Mom!

That's exactly what I thought. First, no way. Then, hey maybe this is doable. I'd just go for it. It may be a little stressful, but it sounds like fun! DH and I have a very strict 1-1 parent child ratio rule and I would certainly not do a whole day with 3 by mysefl, but what's one dinner?

KAT1811
06-22-2009, 01:29 PM
I would suggest booking an early ADR and then when you arrive explain your situation and ask for a table right beside the buffet. Even if it means waiting for that table. You can then leave the older 2 at the table if you need to get up and get something but you will be able to see them.

That was the plan. Our children are typically in bed by 7:00pm at home so I figured that I would do the first dinner time avaliable (I think 5:00pm) and request a table close to the buffet when we arrive. Hopefully they can accomodate us. If not then oh well, we'll deal. That way we won't be back too late and they can get a good night's sleep.

DH and I have a very strict 1-1 parent child ratio rule and I would certainly not do a whole day with 3 by mysefl, but what's one dinner?

We're already out numbered 2:1!!! On our last trip DH had to leave a day early, on the first flight out (he left the resort at 5:30am). That put me in Disney (5 months pregnant with #4), with three children for two days!!! I also had to pack us all up and fly home alone! We spent the day at Epcot and had a great time! Then the next day was a travel day so we just hung around the resort until it was time to go to DME. Man, that day cost me a lot in tips! ;)

KAT1811
06-22-2009, 01:30 PM
P.S. - Thank you all for your words of encouragement!!! I thought we would be fine and with all the "go for its" I'm really ready to go!

:thanks:

wdwfansince75
06-23-2009, 09:07 AM
As a father of 4 and a grandfather of 7, I cautioned against it....but as the Patriarch of a large clan of WDWFanatics, I add my "Go for it!"...one more word of caution....have resort lobby concierge call ahead for you to ask for a convenient table to be set aside....Worked for us

KAT1811
06-23-2009, 10:36 AM
As a father of 4 and a grandfather of 7, I cautioned against it....but as the Patriarch of a large clan of WDWFanatics, I add my "Go for it!"...one more word of caution....have resort lobby concierge call ahead for you to ask for a convenient table to be set aside....Worked for us

Thanks! I'll try that! I'm thinking about taking a taxi "home". We did last year from the Yachtsman and it was great.