PDA

View Full Version : WheelChairs

yjgirl32
06-18-2009, 04:04 PM
We will be traveling in Sept and my aunt may need a wheelchair- can anyone tell me the most economic place to rent one? Thanks for all the help.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Although all of the parks have wheelchairs available to rent, I would recommend renting one from an off-site company if she's going to need it every day, since you can't take the ones from the park out of the park.

The resorts, if you're staying on-site have wheelchairs for free, but there is no guarantee that one will be available.

You can rent a wheelchair (or an ECV, so she can get around a bit more on her own) from a variety of off-site companies. We used buena vista scooter to rent an ECV for my Mom last trip and were impressed with them. Great service and good prices.

steamboat willy
06-18-2009, 08:42 PM
When you say "wheel chair", do you mean one you push or one your Aunt will drive/operate on her own? Are you staying on site or off?
Just like others have posted...Disney Resort offer free wheel chairs that you can take during your stay, but you have to push.
ALL Parks rent wheel chairs and electric scooters and there are the off-site rentals as well. You have many options. We bring our own. A wheelchair that "I" push DW in parks. Electric chair that DW uses in room and outside by pool. Disney is the BEST for ADA and Special Needs.
Just keep asking, I'll reply back. I know what options work best. I deal with this everyday. :thumbsup:

yjgirl32
06-19-2009, 08:44 AM
I guess I should have given more on her background. She will be 77 in August- she had been having trouble with her foot and her dr. put a "boot" on but no cast- she can take it off at night to sleep or take a shower. She's allowed to walk on it and not restricted in any way. I am just concerned that she will be very tired from all the walking. She is very stubborn and doesn't think she will need it. Not sure who will win this battle. I was thinking of getting a wheelchair we can push her in, but am open to the ecv kind. Not sure if we will need it everyday or if she will want it every day. We are staying at POFQ so from what I hear it is a smaller resort- as I also will have my Father-in-law who has Parkinsons and my mo who is legally blind. Glad to hear Disney is very helpful with special needs. Thanks again for al your help.

GoofyHidee
06-20-2009, 10:44 AM
My 17 y/o DD and I took my Mother to WDW last Nov. My Mom is 78. When we were planning the trip she was not interested in a wheelchair. My DD (a cheerleader) had her ACL repaired 3 months earlier. When I checked in at ASSports, I asked the CM if they had wheelchairs. It was Thanksgiving week and they actually had one. It was a blessing. My Mom quickly realized with the crowds and her swollen diabetic feet, it would've been impossible. DD and I told her the chair was for her because her knee was post op, just to get Mom to accept the chair. I will tell you one thing about pushing a wheelchair at WDW - there is an awful lot of steep grade in the parks. It doesn't seem that way but believe me. Especially in front of MK. You might consider the EVC since you have several who may want to swap out. One other thing, people seemed more patient with my slow moving Mom when they saw the chair. She would get trampled without it.

yjgirl32
06-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Thank you. I didn't think about the hills. I will keep the ecv in mind.

steamboat willy
06-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Monorail stations and ramps are steep up and down. Give her a lesson on brake lever operation. That will help you out too! The area going up to and back down to Splash Mountain or the view area. The one DW enjoys the least is Animal Kingdom due to the authentic's of the roads and pathways. Bumpy muddy roads less traveled. Not the best wheel chair "rider" friendly.

ransam
06-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Walker's Mobility is good...however last december i tried Randy's Mobility and thy were awesome...for one they were MUCH cheaper than any other company. and the customer service was aweomse.