PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old sleeping...

EmmMOM2
06-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Last time when our DD was 1 years old we had her sleep in the pack n play at our hotel situated in the area where the sinks are outside the bathroom, so as to block her view of us (awake) and she slept fine.
This year she will be 2 and even so much more aware obviously.

How do your 2 year old sleep when on vacation?
In the bed next to you? crib?
Do they fall asleep while being able to see you?

Just an FYI my kids both sleep on a daily basis in there own rooms with lights off an doors close..

any suggestions?

momofdisneyprincess
06-18-2009, 01:54 PM
The only solution I could come up with was to "pretend" we were asleep until my DD fell asleep. We then watched t.v. quietly or sat right outside our room door to relax and have a drink. That is the reason I now only stay in suites. I know it's expensive but I don't want to have to pretend to go to sleep every night until my daughter does. :secret: Pack & Play or bed is a personal preference. We did the Pack & Play but they will also give you bed rails if you prefer the bed. Good luck!

EmmMOM2
06-18-2009, 02:01 PM
glad im not the only one with this problem :)

guess she will be in a pack n play since my 5 year old gets the other bed.
Luckily we will be staying at POFQ and there it a curtain to the sink area so we can draw that across and hopefully that will help... (sigh)

Thanks for the response!!

dfamasb
06-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I thought this would be a problem for us and our 3 children last trip (4,4 & 2), but I found they were so exhausted by the end of the day that they passed out and were oblivious to everything. Good luck and have fun!

Disney Doll
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure a pack n play would be comfy for a 2 yr old. They're pretty small. I agree that kids are usually so exhausted that it's not much of a hassle to get them to bed. Last trip DS was 15 months and he slept in a regular bed. We just laid him down, turned down the lights and then DH would read while I took a bath. He was asleep within minutes and then we could turn on the TV (sound low) and it was no big deal. We sleep with white noise so DS is never bothered by us up and about in the room. Resorts can supply you with bed rails.

EmmMOM2
06-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Would you stick a 5 year old and 2 year old in the same bed?
I would think that might cause some bickering and trouble...
Maybe the pack n play will work. I'll pull out mine and see how she fits in it.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-18-2009, 10:06 PM
We have a 5 year old and a 2 year old too. Usually the little one goes in the pack and play and one of us sleeps with the 5 year old. (The double beds in POP are too small for hubby and I to share comfortably.) On the days when the beby does not want to be in the pack and play, one of us sleeps with the baby and and one with the 5 year old. we utilize the bed rails on both beds.

EmmMOM2
06-19-2009, 07:35 AM
thanks for the info.
I see your a fellow Connecticutian. :)

Does sleeping with the 5 and 2 year old throw them off when you get home?
We've never slept with the kids before, just dont wanna make it a habit.

g8rgirl29
06-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Last year we had a studio at OKW. Nap time was our biggest concern but we just turned off the lights, closed the curtains and took our showers. She would go right to sleep no problem. At night we quietly got things prepared for the next day and showers then if she still wasn't asleep we just sat out on the balcony. She usually just passed right out she was so tired. There were a few nights that we were able to relax on the balcony and have a drink since she had some trouble falling asleep with us in the room!!

momofdisneyprincess
06-19-2009, 11:44 AM
I found that if I stuck to their schedule as much as possible while at Disney, it much easier for them to get acclimated back home. The more the schedules were thrown off, the more I paid for it at home. Depending on the size of your child, the Pack & Play should be okay. My nephew, 2 1/2, still sleeps in one during vacations. As you suggested, try it out. It might help during the trip if you put him in it at home, even if just to play. Good luck!

SallyMcQueen
06-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Recently took a trip with DD5 & DS2. The first two nights DH & DS "slept" in the same bed. Well DS slept DH got kicked alot. By the third very tired day we requested a Pack n' Play and boy what a difference. We thought DS was going to be too big, but he zonked out each night in the P&P and was more than happy to sleep in it.

HTH.

Mickey'sGirl
06-19-2009, 01:01 PM
We've split the boys up, one each, since our youngest outgrew the crib at age 1. We got a bed rail for the bed I shared with him, and that was that. We never had any issues with him going to sleep, and no issues getting them back into routine when we got home again (each in their own room by himself). They understand that they are on holiday, and that things are a little different. :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
06-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Would you stick a 5 year old and 2 year old in the same bed?
I would think that might cause some bickering and trouble...
Maybe the pack n play will work. I'll pull out mine and see how she fits in it.

When we took our nieces at 3 & 5 they shared a bed with no problems. I think you'll be surprised by how wiped out kids are after a day at the parks. Plus, you're in the same room so how much trouble could they get into with you right there watching? If the pack and play works for one more year that's great, but the kids will end up sharing a bed with someone eventually. My 19 month old is a big boy so maybe I just forget what normal 2 yr old looks like. :blush:

peemagg
06-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Instead of the pack and play you could also call housekeeping and ask for a crib. They are almost as big as a regular crib and have a mattress. Our twins slept great in them. They are also high sided to make it harder for the child to climb out. It might be a way to go.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Hi EmmMOm2... Yep we are in CT right between Hartford and Spfld, MA.

Our kids are always a little off after a vacation... but they get past it soon. Generally they ae pretty happy to be back to their own bed/crib and getting to stretch out on their own again.

When are you heading down there?

EmmMOM2
06-20-2009, 07:37 AM
We are headed down the end of August for 10 days!!! WOO-HOO!
Between Hartford and Springfield huh?
Thats My favorite area of connecticut...since it's where i grew up!! :thumbsup:

PM me if you wanna chat!!!

TikiGoddess
06-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Does sleeping with the 5 and 2 year old throw them off when you get home?
We've never slept with the kids before, just dont wanna make it a habit.

Last trip our daughters were 4 and 2.5. I slept with the 2 yr old and my husband slept with the 4 yr old. It wasn't ideal (I got kicked a few times) but at that point we weren't sure they would sleep together well in one bed.

This trip we're hoping for bunk beds! If not, we'll have the kids sleep in one bed. They'll be tired enough to fall right asleep at the end of the day. They also share a room here at home, so there's no novelty of being in the same room.

Hi EmmMOm2... Yep we are in CT right between Hartford and Spfld, MA.

We are headed down the end of August for 10 days!!! WOO-HOO!
Between Hartford and Springfield huh?
Thats My favorite area of connecticut...since it's where i grew up!! :thumbsup:

PM me if you wanna chat!!!

I live between Hartford and Springfield too!! We're in Ellington. AND we're headed down to Disney for 10 days in August... we should all get together and chat sometime!

Kathy

iheartdisney
06-20-2009, 09:09 AM
They understand that they are on holiday, and that things are a little different. :thumbsup:

Exactly! We've "broken" many a house rule while on vacation to: keep the peace, be able to sleep, etc. Just know whatever you decide to do you need to be flexible and adjust as situations arise. When you're back home, you go back to "house rules."

EmmMOM2
06-20-2009, 10:17 AM
we should all meetup sometime. haha
that would be fun.
Bummer I wont be there the same week in August Kathy!! :(

imaprincess!
06-20-2009, 10:46 AM
I've been to WDW when my children were various ages. The youngest slept with us, while the other two shared a bed. We are staying at POR this trip and they have a trundle bed one child can sleep in.

We usually are at the parks late and when my older children were younger, they were so tired that they passed out on the way back to the hotel, so staying asleep was never an issue.

You could take a toothbrush, toothpaste and pajamas with you to the park (if you will be staying late) and the little Mousketeer will be able to fall asleep ready for bed. You won't have to do a wakeup call to put pajamas on once you get back to the resort.

EmmMOM2
06-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the advice.
We usually have the kids back by there 8pm bedtime. But perhaps i could try putting them down a tad later then normal so they are extra tired.
Good idea about the pajamas never thought of doing that before..

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-20-2009, 06:07 PM
wE LIVE IN ENFIELD! WE WILL BE THERE FOR 9 DAYS IN SEPT. TOOBAD WE AREN'T ALL THERE AT THE SAME TIME!

TRISH