PDA

View Full Version : Stitch is Out

TheRustyScupper
06-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 4:36pm EDT | Modified: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 4:49pm

Curtain closes on Disney attractionOrlando Business Journal - by Christopher Boyd Staff Writer

Stitch’s Supersonic Adventure, an interactive stage show that opened May 5 at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, will close on June 27.

Disney officials wouldn’t say why the show, which opened with much fanfare just six weeks ago, is on the way out. Postings on blog sites by Disney fans suggest that park patrons complained about having to form queues in the late spring heat without shelter or seating.

A Disney spokeswoman didn’t say what is planned next for the Stitch site.

RustyScupper NOTE: Another item added to the long list of failures of Imagineering.

brownie
06-17-2009, 09:08 AM
That was a good investment.

Mufasa
06-17-2009, 09:24 AM
RustyScupper NOTE: Another item added to the long list of failures of Imagineering.

That should be Entertainment, and not Imagineering...

cer
06-17-2009, 09:32 AM
That is just...wow! This attraction was still being built when we were there in early Feb 09. That's certainly is a short run....interesting.

GothMickey
06-17-2009, 09:54 AM
That should be Entertainment, and not Imagineering...

Yep. Entertainment's disaster, not Imagineering.

GothMickey
06-17-2009, 09:54 AM
That is just...wow! This attraction was still being built when we were there in early Feb 09. That's certainly is a short run....interesting.

Ran for 6 weeks. Even Barbie in Epcot lasted longer LOL.

Ian
06-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Blame it on whoever you will, but the real fault lies with Disney World management.

When you're only willing to spend nickels, these are the results you get.

You'd think they'd learn that when you do things halfway up front it always comes back to bite you.

See also:

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney California Adventure
Hong Kong Disneyland
Et. Al.

murphy1
06-17-2009, 10:19 AM
I have never liked any attraction in that spot since they opened the park, Mission to Mars (or Circle Vision Monstanto thing, can't remember what was there exactly) up to Stitch, maybe it's a cursed area??

DizneyRox
06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Whoa! Didn't they just build the stage for this? I didn't even realize that was done, we were just talking about the extra parking spaces, no?

WOW! Sadly, this is typical Disney these days. Maybe I'll take a look over at youtube, I'm sure it's apparent as to why this failed.

Strmchsr
06-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Maybe I'll take a look over at youtube, I'm sure it's apparent as to why this failed.

Yeah, if you watch the show it's VERY apparent.

The shade issue was the biggest for me. When we were there during early May when it first opened I couldn't believe they had guests just standing in the direct sun. No seating. No shade. To me that would kill the experience no matter how good the show was. The show not being all that great made it even worse.

GothMickey
06-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, if you watch the show it's VERY apparent.

The shade issue was the biggest for me. When we were there during early May when it first opened I couldn't believe they had guests just standing in the direct sun. No seating. No shade. To me that would kill the experience no matter how good the show was. The show not being all that great made it even worse.

Do people stand on Main Street, 30 minutes to an hour prior to the parade starting? If so, do they stand under shade or sit on the curb in the hot sun? And then, when the parade starts, do they still stand on Main Street under the hot sun?

I cannot understand why people are saying no shade doomed this. No shade has nothing to do with a terrible show. Entertainment created a show that stunk. If it was worth anything, people would have stood around for it. They stand around for Jack Sparrow's Pirate Tutorial. They stand in the sun waiting online to meet characters. They stand in the hot sun for many reasons. I cannot accept that as an excuse for people not wanting to stand around and watch this.

Figment!
06-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Entertainment Cast have reported that internal schedules are listing the show as "dark" through the end of June, which would imply a refurbishment and not a permanent closure.

GothMickey
06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Entertainment Cast have reported that internal schedules are listing the show as "dark" through the end of June, which would imply a refurbishment and not a permanent closure.

Even so, 6 weeks after it ran, and they have to change thngs already isn't a good thing. It could be a good thing if they are creating a better, more watchable show. But, this still has to go down as a failure.

Dragongirlx
06-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I read on another disney site that it wasn't closing but the show was being changed and thats why there was a shut down

joonyer
06-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I have never liked any attraction in that spot since they opened the park, Mission to Mars (or Circle Vision Monstanto thing, can't remember what was there exactly) up to Stitch, maybe it's a cursed area??

Mission to Mars was in the building that now holds Stitch's Great Escape (not the Stitch stage show) and was the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter before Stitch's great Escape.

The Circle Vision 360 (Monsanto) theatre was in the building that now hosts the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, (adjacent to Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, which is in the same big building. It's across the street/ from Stitch's Great Escape. That same building hosted the Timekeeper attraction (which also a 360 film) prior to the Laugh Floor attraction.

The Stitch stage show is located between Carousel of Progress and the Space Mountain entrance near the old Tomorrowland Skyway station (across the plaza, on the other side of Astro Orbiter, from Stitch's Great Escape). There has never been an attraction (except for the skyway station) in that exact location before.

Ian
06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Bottom line, whether it's closed for good or just for a re-do, the thing was so terrible that it only lasted 6 weeks.

And I agree with GothMickey ... shade (or the lack thereof) had nothing to do with it. People wait in the hot sun for parades and tons of other shows around Disney World. This show is canned because it stunk. Plain and simple.

I watched the YouTube video and it was just complete and total dreck. A flat-out embarrassment that it had Disney's name on it.

grumpyguy
06-17-2009, 12:14 PM
why are they forcing stitch on us anyway???i've no desire to even watch stitch movies.
i just think stitch is an "un-disneylike" character anyway..
bring back alien invasion!!!
the people have spoken:thumbsup:

GothMickey
06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Bottom line, whether it's closed for good or just for a re-do, the thing was so terrible that it only lasted 6 weeks.

And I agree with GothMickey ... shade (or the lack thereof) had nothing to do with it. People wait in the hot sun for parades and tons of other shows around Disney World. This show is canned because it stunk. Plain and simple.

I watched the YouTube video and it was just complete and total dreck. A flat-out embarrassment that it had Disney's name on it.

Very well said Ian. But, according to some people, you could not judge the show based on a video from Youtube. I just hope that what ever the new show will be, Hannah Montana isn't part of it. :ack:

GothMickey
06-17-2009, 12:19 PM
why are they forcing stitch on us anyway???i've no desire to even watch stitch movies.

Stitch is a very popular character. But he has been misused in the parks. I notice no one complains that Jack Sparrow or the Princesses have been forced down our throats too. If Stitch had a better attraction, the feelings toward the little blue guy would be different.

Strmchsr
06-17-2009, 12:38 PM
I cannot understand why people are saying no shade doomed this. No shade has nothing to do with a terrible show.

I'm not saying no shade doomed the show. It was a bad, bad show. What I'm saying is that I think environmental conditions hastened the change. I don't think people would have complained nearly as much (nor the suits taken as much notice) if the environmental conditions had been more acceptable. As you noted, when something is good people don't care about the heat. When it's bad they do. When they're comfortable people will tolerate something a LOT more than when they're not. So, the environment made a bad show seem a lot worse.

vorpalswrd
06-17-2009, 01:12 PM

Why so much hatred towards stitch? In what way is he un-disney like? Is the bringing a family closer together, protecting a young girl, learning how to love, (insert another disney-esque quality here)? Also, I don't see how two rides (now 1) with Stitch is "forcing him" on anyone? Like 'Oh my gosh ,why are they using a character from one of their reasonably successful HUGE movie/television franschises?' Honestly, explain to me why the few people who hate him so much have to speak so loudly. I just don't get character bashing at all.

GothMickey
06-17-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm not saying no shade doomed the show. It was a bad, bad show. What I'm saying is that I think environmental conditions hastened the change. I don't think people would have complained nearly as much (nor the suits taken as much notice) if the environmental conditions had been more acceptable. As you noted, when something is good people don't care about the heat. When it's bad they do. When they're comfortable people will tolerate something a LOT more than when they're not. So, the environment made a bad show seem a lot worse.

Ah, a little misunderstanding there. I apologize.

GothMickey
06-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Why so much hatred towards stitch? In what way is he un-disney like? Is the bringing a family closer together, protecting a young girl, learning how to love, (insert another disney-esque quality here)? Also, I don't see how two rides (now 1) with Stitch is "forcing him" on anyone? Like 'Oh my gosh ,why are they using a character from one of their reasonably successful HUGE movie/television franschises?' Honestly, explain to me why the few people who hate him so much have to speak so loudly. I just don't get character bashing at all.

Stitch is from a Disney movie, therefore he is as Disney as Winnie the Pooh. Or maybe even moreso since Pooh isn't a Disney original character. Stitch is an original, not a character they bought rights to. My belief is the hatred stems from Disney shoving him down our throats way too much. And also from the fact that Stitch replaced the beloved Alien Encounter. But, like I said, no one complains about Jack Sparrow or the princesses, or Hannah Montana or High School Musical being shoved down our throats.

DizneyRox
06-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't know either. Personally, I really like Stitch the character, but nothing they have done with him in the parks has met with much success.

SGE receives a lot of negative reviews, I don't think it has much to do with replacing AE either, IMHO it's just a bad show.

Stitch Kingdom was really bad, toilet papering the castle was in bad taste.

Now this stage show which has been open for months.

Merchandising must make a killing on Stitch merch to keep attempting to keep him in the lime light. Sadly it's destroying the franchise at the same time. Who cares about the future though, it's all about current stock price I guess...

MOJoe
06-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I am the first to say that i'm not a Stitch fan. Never saw the movie. And i dislike Stitch's Alien Encounter or whatever it's called. That said, i watched the show last week. It's not great by any means, but not the train wreck everyone here is calling it. If you are a Stitch fan, you should like it. I'm not, but i found the show to be not unlike the other live entertainment Disney has been bringing out lately.

Maybe i live too close to Memphis, but seeing Stitch show up as Elvis caught me as being funny. Too bad Stitch fans, and i know there are some, only have had a limited chance to see this show.

wire0monkey
06-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Disney caters to different tastes. If an attraction isn't to someone's taste, they should get over it and move on to the next thing.

We love the move "Lilo and Stitch" at our house. We also love most of the Pixar movies and most Disney animation made after 1984.

We don't love many of the Disney classics. We could live without seeing Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Peter Pan, or Lady and the Tramp EVER AGAIN.

We also don't love 90% of Fantasyland in the MK. We could spend an entire vacation at WDW without ever putting a foot in Fantasyland and not feel like we missed anything. Despite this, I don't spend huge amounts of time griping about the space that Pooh or Peter Pan or Snow White or Cinderella take up in the park. (Did you see that giant castle for Cinderella? They could totally put in a new Monsters Inc. new roller coaster right there! :thedolls:)

wire0monkey
06-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Maybe i live too close to Memphis, but seeing Stitch show up as Elvis caught me as being funny. Too bad Stitch fans, and i know there are some, only have had a limited chance to see this show.

If that struck you as funny, you should watch the movie. Stitch has a whole Elvis thing going. Half the soundtrack is Elvis.

It's a wonderful movie.

Ian
06-17-2009, 03:31 PM
My belief is the hatred stems from Disney shoving him down our throats way too much. And also from the fact that Stitch replaced the beloved Alien Encounter. But, like I said, no one complains about Jack Sparrow or the princesses, or Hannah Montana or High School Musical being shoved down our throats.I agree with you on the 1st part, but not the 2nd. There's huge theme park backlash on the over-useage of Princesses, Pirates, and Hannah Mo.

seanyred
06-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Now I'm a Stitch fan and I don't understand why there is so much hate for this character. But that being said if it is a bad show then I actually applaud Disney for shutting it down and trying to retooll or plus it. It seems everyone gets so upset when Disney has failures. Those of you who know the history know that Disneyland had a lot of failures even when Walt was running things (i.e. Holiday Land). Failures are part of the living thing that is WDW. I'd be more upset if they did not realize they had a bad show and did nothing.

Ed
06-17-2009, 04:11 PM
This blog by Dewayne Bevil was in today's Orlando Sentinel:

Disney officials confirm Wednesday that the plug is being pulled on the new Stitch stage show at the Magic Kingdom. The final performances of Stitch's SuperSonic Celebration, located in Tomorrowland, will be Saturday, June 27.

"We remain focused on providing the best possible entertainment experience for our guests," says a Disney spokesman. "In order to achieve this, we regularly evaluate and adjust our offerings."

The Stitch show debuted just last month, and should not be confused with the longstanding Tomorrowland attraction known as Stitch's Great Escape (the previous home of Alien Encounter). The new show played off the Disney World "What Will You Celebrate?" theme and featured a host, four go-go dancers, two break-dancing "robot" characters and Stitch -- in both electronic and in-person form, the latter in a Vegas persona.

A source close to the situation told me the cast members were surprised that then end came so quickly. They were told that executives liked the show, and that it was polling positively with guests. Other cast members privately told me that SuperSonic Celebration was considered a bit of a stinker.

The show took place on a stage recently constructed in Tomorrowland, nestled between the Carousel of Progress and Space Mountain. But that location catches a lot of Florida sun, and guests compensated by keeping their distance, many standing several yards away in the shadow of the elevated Tomorrowland Transit Authority railway.

The show story line involved an intergalactic variety show broadcast with the title character on a big screen above the stage. Stitch joked with guests in "real time," with a style of technology used at Tomorrowland neighbor Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor and Epcot's Turtle Talk With Crush.

The quick dismissal of SuperSonic Celebration is surprising to many watchers. The company tends to retweak and relaunch. Laugh Floor opened to poor reviews, was retooled and is now deemed more satisfactory by guests.

While it doesn't shed a lot of light on the future of the show, the article does mention that CMs considered the show "a stinker", but also implies that they may "retweak and relaunch" it. :shrug:

I guess time will tell...........

GothMickey
06-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks for that article. This proves a few things to me:

1) Management is way out of touch with their guests

2) Disney's polls are skewered to the results they want, and not the truth

GothMickey
06-17-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree with you on the 1st part, but not the 2nd. There's huge theme park backlash on the over-useage of Princesses, Pirates, and Hannah Mo.

May be so, but, put the princesses or Hannah Montana stage show in the middle of a park, and there will be crowds of people standing in the heat and glaring sun to see it, unlike this stitch show.

MOJoe
06-17-2009, 04:30 PM
If that struck you as funny, you should watch the movie. Stitch has a whole Elvis thing going. Half the soundtrack is Elvis.

It's a wonderful movie.

O.K. Maybe i'll give the little blue guy a shot and rent the movie. But if half the soundtrack is Elvis music, then on June 27th if Stitch has any dignity he should come out and sing "You ain't nothin but a hound dog, cryin' all the time......."

clou1028
06-17-2009, 05:11 PM
I love the movie Lilo and Stitch, and when it came out, I thought it was one of the best animated Disney movies to come out in a long time. I like Stitch a lot, he's one of my favorite more recent characters.

That being said, I don't care all that much for SGE. And I ***loved*** Alien Encounter, I was real sad to see it go. I would of liked to have seen the new show, hopefully the close is temporary, and they will make some improvements so I can see it when I am there in September.

TheRustyScupper
06-17-2009, 05:43 PM
. . . Failures are part of the living thing that is WDW . . .

1) I agree.
2) Every person and every company makes mistakes.
3) But, this is now a common mode of operation for Disney.
4) In trying to increase stock price, they are dismantling
. . . Imagineering
. . . Entertainment (the concept & show dept)

NOTE: A big problem is that no one is ever brought to task for failure. I think Meg at WDW needs to step up the plate, instead of not making waves.

murphy1
06-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Um, some of us are still upset they ripped out Mr. Toad and If You Had Wings....I think they should put Monsters Inc ride here, just sayin'...

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2009, 07:24 PM
NOTE: A big problem is that no one is ever brought to task for failure. I think Meg at WDW needs to step up the plate, instead of not making waves.

I will do you one better... Meg needs to take a hike, not step up to the plate...

StitchFan#1
06-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I liked it only cuz Im an extreme stitch fan but I had to sit on the burning black top for the entire show. I did not enjoy the wierd costumes for aTip Trendo and the galaxy girls or the robots for robo co. Stitchs costume was so adorable thoguh. Dose anyone know where I can find him in that costume anywhere else? The worst part was when I glanced to see my mom in the back and saw a huge plywood like box with people in it operating the show. Shortly after Stitch came out for pics by COP.

Ian
06-17-2009, 08:07 PM
The problem is, no one at the Sr. Exec level sees WDW's issues. All they see is the huge profit number they bring to the balance sheet every quarter.

What goes in to that number, whether it's sustainable, attained at the expense of their brand, etc. ... they don't see any of that.

On the rare occasions a Bob Iger or someone like that visits the park, it's done in a whirlwind, everything is spruced up and "just so", and they don't really see the warts.

That's part of the problem with the very, very siloed way Disney operates their businesses. Hopefully, some of these recent organizational changes with the merging of operations between DL and WDW will help things.

Altair
06-17-2009, 08:34 PM
On the rare occasions a Bob Iger or someone like that visits the park, it's done in a whirlwind, everything is spruced up and "just so", and they don't really see the warts.

I believe these are called "Dog and Pony Shows".;)
And by the way it would be Hannah MT not Hannah Mo.:thedolls:

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2009, 09:14 PM
The problem is, no one at the Sr. Exec level sees WDW's issues. All they see is the huge profit number they bring to the balance sheet every quarter.

What goes in to that number, whether it's sustainable, attained at the expense of their brand, etc. ... they don't see any of that.

That's part of the problem with the very, very siloed way Disney operates their businesses. Hopefully, some of these recent organizational changes with the merging of operations between DL and WDW will help things.

See, the problem though is Iger is hands off manager.. He lets Rasuo basically get away with ruining WDW.. As long as profits are up, Rasulo can continue to erode the magic Disney used to create... Rasulo and his henchmen have no business running the theme parks... None... Rasulo was an executive in Disney's real estate division.. He should have stayed there.. That is why there is so much DVC expansion and nothing worthwhile with the parks... People here can say what theyw ant about me... But, this is the hard truth about the company today...

joonyer
06-17-2009, 10:56 PM
. . . And by the way it would be Hannah MT not Hannah Mo.:thedolls:

I think Hannah Missouri is her cousin. ;)

Imagineer1981
06-18-2009, 11:18 AM
wow..sad

StitchFan#1
06-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I believe these are called "Dog and Pony Shows".;)
And by the way it would be Hannah MT not Hannah Mo.:thedolls:

Why would they waste Moneey on Hannah Montaanna if shes quiting and theirs one last season! I hate Her anywayz I would boycot disney if she was there! And I doNOT WANT TO BOYCOT DISNEY!

Ian
06-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Why would they waste Moneey on Hannah Montaanna if shes quiting and theirs one last season! I hate Her anywayz I would boycot disney if she was there! And I doNOT WANT TO BOYCOT DISNEY!"Waste" money on Hannah Montana?? Obviously you aren't paying attention to the world around. She's probably the single most profitable franchise Disney has and she's wildly popular.

Also, you'll need to get ready to boycott Disney, because she's already all over WDW.

GothMickey
06-18-2009, 03:38 PM
"Waste" money on Hannah Montana?? Obviously you aren't paying attention to the world around. She's probably the single most profitable franchise Disney has and she's wildly popular.

Also, you'll need to get ready to boycott Disney, because she's already all over WDW.

Iger did say he only wanted shows and attractions based on successful franchises. Just saying.

NewDVCowner
06-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Stitch is from a Disney movie, therefore he is as Disney as Winnie the Pooh. Or maybe even moreso since Pooh isn't a Disney original character. Stitch is an original, not a character they bought rights to. My belief is the hatred stems from Disney shoving him down our throats way too much. And also from the fact that Stitch replaced the beloved Alien Encounter. But, like I said, no one complains about Jack Sparrow or the princesses, or Hannah Montana or High School Musical being shoved down our throats.

Frankly, I complain about High School Musical. Big fat pass!

Ian
06-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Iger did say he only wanted shows and attractions based on successful franchises. Just saying.You know, I don't really have a clue what they want to base shows and attractions on anymore!

When you consider all the wildly successful properties they have that are completely absent from the theme parks, it really makes you wonder.

And yet they constantly milk the same properties over and over again ... Toy Story, Stitch, Monsters Inc. all get multiple attractions but hits like Incredibles, Cars, and even some of their older successful properties (BatB, Little Mermaid, etc.) go basically un-represented.

It's very odd.

DizneyFreak2002
06-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Technically, BatB has a stage show (which stinks), LM has a stage show, and Cars will be getting its own land... Plus, don't forget, LM is also getting the ride in DCA and soon in WDW... Incredibles was to go in Tomorrowland with a ride using the Kuka arm, but Universal stopped that...

CU Tiger
06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
My DDs could not sit through it. They were not entertained and they were too hot. I think it was a good thing they are closing this. :mickey:

Lakin
06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Even though I can't be a complete judge, due to I not having ever seen it, I had a feeling from the start that this wasn't going to be successful. Sure, I love Stitch, but singing and dancing? Why reverse the whole idea of Stitch's Great Escape? Plus, it just doesn't sound like something a lot of people would get into, IMHO. Too bad there is no shade or seating.

Ian
06-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Technically, BatB has a stage show (which stinks), LM has a stage show, and Cars will be getting its own land... Plus, don't forget, LM is also getting the ride in DCA and soon in WDW... Incredibles was to go in Tomorrowland with a ride using the Kuka arm, but Universal stopped that...That's why I said "basically" unrepresented, because all of these "attractions" are very, very weak representations of the films.

I'm not a huge fan of "the stage show as a theme park attraction."

GothMickey
06-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Technically, BatB has a stage show (which stinks), LM has a stage show, and Cars will be getting its own land... Plus, don't forget, LM is also getting the ride in DCA and soon in WDW... Incredibles was to go in Tomorrowland with a ride using the Kuka arm, but Universal stopped that...

That's why I said "basically" unrepresented, because all of these "attractions" are very, very weak representations of the films.

I'm not a huge fan of "the stage show as a theme park attraction."

Very weak. Beauty and the Beast can have such a great dark ride. The facade of the show building can look like Beast's castle. Inside, you can be greeted by Lumiere directing you to your omnimover. You can take a tour of Beast's castle with show scenes details parts of the movie. You can pass through the giant ballroom and witness Belle and Beast dance. You can then be "transported" outside where you see Gaston and the mob storming the castle. You'll move up to the castle roof and witness the battle between Beast and Gaston. And finally, witness the transformation of Beast into his human form. WDI can certainly do this, if TDO wasn't so stinking cheap.

And I have a perfect placement for it. ENCHANTED FOREST that may soon be taking up residence in Fantasyland.

Jll3Sonex
06-19-2009, 11:40 AM
After seeing the youtube video - I'm afraid about the only reason I'd want to sit through this would be the dancers. :woohoo:

Tomorrowland should be about AMAZING things. And frankly? This doesn't seem either amazing or terribly fun. (Same thing with Innoventions over at EPCOT, sadly.)

Maybe part of the problem is how commercially available off-the-shelf entertainment technology (or technology of all kinds) is advancing faster than the Imagineers can actually deploy it - I don't know - but we're going to WDW in July and if I don't make it to Tomorrowland or Innoventions I'm not going to feel cheated.

(And I feel rather sad about that, since ever since my first visit to Disneyland in the '60s I've LOVED the Tomorrowland/World of the Future concepts. But a Stitch-themed future? Not so much, sorry...)

mjstaceyuofm
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
See, the problem though is Iger is hands off manager.. He lets Rasuo basically get away with ruining WDW.. As long as profits are up, Rasulo can continue to erode the magic Disney used to create... Rasulo and his henchmen have no business running the theme parks... None... Rasulo was an executive in Disney's real estate division.. He should have stayed there.. That is why there is so much DVC expansion and nothing worthwhile with the parks... People here can say what theyw ant about me... But, this is the hard truth about the company today...

I know we've seen DVC grow tremendously over the past decade, but being a DVC owner I generally perceive it as a positive for WDW. More often than not, our joy from visiting the World comes from the great times we have being on property. That includes time in the parks as well as out of the parks - eating at the CG, visiting the Lego store in DD, etc...

Anyway - I've only seen some video snippets of the show from some video podcasts. It looked pretty lame. Does anyone think not having Space Mtn operating has hurt audience attendance at this show? I wonder if you had more people in the area - like parents w/ younger kids waiting for their teenage kids to ride Space Mtn or people waiting for a fast-pass time to Space Mtn - if it would've boosted attendance?

All in all - I agree with what most people are saying here. It's a shame that they can't come up with anything that is awe - inspiring right out of the gate anymore. Definitely symptomatic of how things have been at WDW lately. It's too bad John Lasseter hasn't taken more of an interest in WDW.

Just thoughts...

Ian
06-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I think Lasseter is a DL guy.

SFTrny
06-19-2009, 01:05 PM
More Dark Rides, Please!

DizneyFreak2002
06-19-2009, 07:30 PM
I know we've seen DVC grow tremendously over the past decade, but being a DVC owner I generally perceive it as a positive for WDW. More often than not, our joy from visiting the World comes from the great times we have being on property. That includes time in the parks as well as out of the parks - eating at the CG, visiting the Lego store in DD, etc...

Anyway - I've only seen some video snippets of the show from some video podcasts. It looked pretty lame. Does anyone think not having Space Mtn operating has hurt audience attendance at this show? I wonder if you had more people in the area - like parents w/ younger kids waiting for their teenage kids to ride Space Mtn or people waiting for a fast-pass time to Space Mtn - if it would've boosted attendance?

All in all - I agree with what most people are saying here. It's a shame that they can't come up with anything that is awe - inspiring right out of the gate anymore. Definitely symptomatic of how things have been at WDW lately. It's too bad John Lasseter hasn't taken more of an interest in WDW.

Just thoughts...

The DVC may have grown too fast... They can't even come close to selling out BLT now... of course, this was set in motion prior to the economy tanking, so that may have a lot to do with it... Polynesian and Grand Floridian will be next in WDW... Maybe not such a good idea.. there comes a saturation point, and they may have reached it...

I don't think the closure of Space Mountain had anything to do with it...

Lasseter is a DL guy.. But, I will tell you this much... He toured the parks in WDW one day and, well, see all the refurbs and maintenance going on??? His doing... And, just sit back and be patient... MK is going to get some love soon... And ST2 as well as Monsters Inc coaster are right around the corner...

Boost
06-19-2009, 09:21 PM
I am not a huge Stitch fan, but I know that there are many Stitch fans out there....so I am not glad that this is gone.

That said, what about replacing it with a kids' karaoke stage with characters?

What about developing the space into a larger attraction? If there is not enough space on the ground, what about building up and creating an air chamber with some futuristic touches that evoke the feel of Tomorrowland? Could have it be part of something similar to the interactive Kim Possible thing going on over in EPCOT.

TracyL
06-19-2009, 11:37 PM
I did see this show, and I thought it was kind of cute. I agree that the lack of shade and seating is a drag. I also agree that people will put up with that for Dream Along With Mickey and a lot of other shows, parades, etc.

The use of the same technology as Turtle Talk uses, with Stitch on-screen, works well. Stitch has some funny lines. The kids that were there when I watched this show were into it. The dancers, especially the robot guys, were amazingly good. I think calling it a total bust is not really fair -- but if it is a total bust, then good for Disney to cut their losses, and ours.

In general, Tomorrowland's problem is that it doesn't know what to be. It needs a cohesive concept and vision (DL Paris "Discoveryland" did this well with a clearly expressed Jules Verne vision of the future). You can never create "the future" -- it becomes the past too quickly. But you could choose some particular previous "future" and run with that. There are lots of great futures to choose from - Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein/Isaac Asimov, the 20s and 30s deco streamline, 50s mid-century modern, you name it. 1955 would be kind of an obvious choice. Pick your favorite, but pick ONE and execute the best possible vision of that, rather than this endless sort of halfhearted trial and error they're doing now.

I must say, all in all, considering this is supposedly a Disney fan site, there sure is a lot of Disney bashing going on here? :)

DizneyFreak2002
06-20-2009, 12:01 AM
I must say, all in all, considering this is supposedly a Disney fan site, there sure is a lot of Disney bashing going on here? :)

Just because this is a fan site doesn't mean we cannot critique the company... They are in shambles.. Until Iger gets the guts to can Rasulo and all of Rasulo's cronies, shows like Stitch may be commonplace I fear..

Ian
06-20-2009, 08:43 AM
The DVC may have grown too fast... They can't even come close to selling out BLT now... Personally, I lay blame for slow DVC sales right at the foot of the economic crisis.

I'm sure a lot of people were buying their memberships with 2nds on their primary residence and ... well ... you can't really get those anymore.

I'm sure once the credit market loosens sales will skyrocket with all the pent-up demand out there.

I must say, all in all, considering this is supposedly a Disney fan site, there sure is a lot of Disney bashing going on here? :)Consider it from this angle ...

What does it say about the current state of the Walt Disney World Resort that their biggest fan base ... the ones who should be their most loyal customers ... have become so critical of them?

DizneyFreak2002
06-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Personally, I lay blame for slow DVC sales right at the foot of the economic crisis.

I'm sure a lot of people were buying their memberships with 2nds on their primary residence and ... well ... you can't really get those anymore.

I'm sure once the credit market loosens sales will skyrocket with all the pent-up demand out there.

Consider it from this angle ...

What does it say about the current state of the Walt Disney World Resort that their biggest fan base ... the ones who should be their most loyal customers ... have become so critical of them?

I agree with the credit crisis being a huge part of the sales dwindling... But, there is a saturation point... Just don't know where it is... And in this climate, we cannot really judge fairly if that point has been reached.. I think we will be able to see in another year or two when the economic turn around starts hitting the American people...

CaptSmee
06-20-2009, 10:36 PM
I find this hysterical!!! :D

DizneyFreak2002
06-21-2009, 12:04 AM
I find this hysterical!!! :D

So does Universal Orlando...

joonyer
06-21-2009, 01:46 AM
So does Universal Orlando...

I'll bet they do, too. Especially with the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter on the Horizon. From what I have seen, this addition to IOA is going to be hugely popular, and is going to be a fantastic addition to that park. And the best new attractions that Disney can come up with are let's see, . . . . a stage show/dance party, that consists of a fancy stage area, but no any seating or shade for guests, a balloon ride over DTD and an exhibit of Princess Diana's gowns and dresses. Wow. :unsure: That's really going to draw the crowds. :shake:

TracyL
06-21-2009, 08:51 AM
I wonder sometimes if Disney set its own bar impossibly high at some point in its history.

There's a lot of criticism now about all the things they're doing wrong - and I agree with some of it. But at the same time, as a Passholder who is on property at least once a month, I am here to tell you it is like NIGHT AND DAY to compare now with a couple of years ago during Eisner's reign of error.

While you may not love every change or new thing that is being created, at least they're changing stuff and creating new things! No way was Eisner about to plus up Small World, or do a major gut rehab on Space Mountain. I don't doubt that building a zillion more hotel rooms was right on with his plan, but making actual improvements in the parks, not so much.

Everything looks a little cleaner and more freshly painted since Iger arrived. And while it's far from perfect, I at least want to offer one counterpoint to the doom and gloom.

I guess I'm just easy to please! :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
06-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I'll bet they do, too. Especially with the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter on the Horizon. From what I have seen, this addition to IOA is going to be hugely popular, and is going to be a fantastic addition to that park. And the best new attractions that Disney can come up with are let's see, . . . . a stage show/dance party, that consists of a fancy stage area, but no any seating or shade for guests, a balloon ride over DTD and an exhibit of Princess Diana's gowns and dresses. Wow. :unsure: That's really going to draw the crowds. :shake:

Well, as far as HP goes, from what I am hearing, the robotic arm doesn't like the ride vehicle too much... It throws it away if you will...

Ian
06-21-2009, 12:27 PM
No way was Eisner about to plus up Small World ... Actually, Eisner did plus Small World.

Eisner stepped down as CEO on September 30th, 2005. The Small World rehab started in May of 2004 and the ride re-opened in March of 2005 ... 6 months before Eisner left the company.

DizneyFreak2002
06-21-2009, 12:31 PM
We aren't doomers and gloomers.. We are fans who want Disney to do better... Disney set the bar high... Now, everyone passes the bar and Disney falls under it... We have seen Disney do better... That is what we want... No more of this Stitch garbage... No more celebration marketing shemes... no more cheap refurbs and no more carbooard cutouts to save money... Disney is better than that... TDO isn't... Regime change is needed in Orlando...

DizneyFreak2002
06-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Actually, Eisner did plus Small World.

Eisner stepped down as CEO on September 30th, 2005. The Small World rehab started in May of 2004 and the ride re-opened in March of 2005 ... 6 months before Eisner left the company.

I'll do you one better... Under Eisner, the Space Mountain refurb was planned... it would have been an 18-24 month refurb... Would have been awesome and on par with the other Space Mountains... Then Eisner's regime collapsed.. Igert took over.. Rasulo's power increased... Phil Holmes, Meg Crofton, and the rest of Rasulo's cronies gained power... meaning, CUTTING not ADDING or PLUSSING!!!! Eisner gave us DAK, DHS, Splash Mountain, etc...

What has Iger given us that is worth while?? A slashed Space Mountain refurb??? Jack Sparrow in Pirates, not making the ride better at all??? Like I said many times, Rasulo and his cronies need to be fired and replaced with people who actually KNOW how to run theme parks...

TheRustyScupper
06-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I agree with the credit crisis being a huge part of the sales dwindling

1) No.
2) Disney has a lot of loan cash for DVC.
3) They just are not getting people to buy and ask for money.

4) Where we have hit saturation point or not, only the future can tell.
5) I think that people are just scrutinizing their purchases more.
6) At current prices and maintenance fees, DVC is not as good a deal anymore.

CaptSmee
06-21-2009, 04:39 PM
"Let's see...how can we improve Tommorowland?" "I know! Let's build a Stitch dance show on a stage in the middle of it!" "Great idea! Green light it!" How did this even happen?!? :confused:

DizneyFreak2002
06-21-2009, 07:38 PM
"Let's see...how can we improve Tommorowland?" "I know! Let's build a Stitch dance show on a stage in the middle of it!" "Great idea! Green light it!" How did this even happen?!? :confused:

TDO wanted a quick and cheap show.. Entertainment created something based on Stitch... TDO said "YES MORE STITCH!!!!" And bam... That waste of space and EPIC failure was hatched...

Ian
06-21-2009, 08:01 PM
1) No.
2) Disney has a lot of loan cash for DVC.
3) They just are not getting people to buy and ask for money.

4) Where we have hit saturation point or not, only the future can tell.
5) I think that people are just scrutinizing their purchases more.
6) At current prices and maintenance fees, DVC is not as good a deal anymore.Don't really agree with any of this ... while there may be plenty of cash to lend, the lending standards have tightened and fewer people can quality now.

In addition, lots of people are out of work and unable to qualify for any kind of financing. Even those who probably could qualify are spooked from buying anything because all we hear all day long in the media is how credit is evil and we shouldn't buy anything ever again because wanting things is bad. :shake:

3Cabsfan
06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm not the brightest light bulb in the room but even I saw this as a disaster from the first announcement. I don't know why Stitch is shoved down people's throats all the time and whoever came up with this blunder should be shown the door along with those that agreed to pursue it...not a shock here folks...just some very bad decisions.

DizneyFreak2002
06-21-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm not the brightest light bulb in the room but even I saw this as a disaster from the first announcement. I don't know why Stitch is shoved down people's throats all the time and whoever came up with this blunder should be shown the door along with those that agreed to pursue it...not a shock here folks...just some very bad decisions.

I really believe Disney is trying to force a franchise on us... And Stitch, despite being a popular character, is NOT a franchise... I really hope they learn from their mistakes...

big blue and hairy
06-22-2009, 08:07 AM
I really believe Disney is trying to force a franchise on us... And Stitch, despite being a popular character, is NOT a franchise... I really hope they learn from their mistakes...

I don't know about franchise, but Stitch as a character has done well. The problem is, Magic Kingdom has added two Stitch attractions that are really lame.

I certainly understand the Orlando people being partial to Stitch, since he came to life in Orlando.

:sulley:

Jll3Sonex
06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
But pushing Stitch means some other idea won't get funded, right?

As I said before, Tomorrowland and Innoventions/Future World should be about AMAZING things. Mission: Space is an AMAZING ride - even with the occasional protein spill. :ack: The old Living Seas Seabase Alpha was AMAZING - but again, it was a glimpse of the future, not a rehashed aquarium. The Space Ranger Spin is an adventure, and amazing, and fun. A stage show? Well, not so much.

I'm probably wrong on this - but wasn't Walt thinking that a sense of wonder, of amazement, of excitement and adventure was supposed to permeate the entire WDW experience?

So - a sense of wonder and adventure versus a 'party' - admittedly, stage show 'parties' are cheaper than 'adventures' to build, manage, and maintain, but are they as satisfactory long-term?

Ian
06-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I think it's important to recognize that Stitch, the character, is not really what's at fault for this failure.

I think we would all flock to a truly well-done, up-to-Disney-standards ride that was themed around Stitch.

I mean, if they built a Stitch-themed roller coaster where you rode around in Stitch's rocket ship trying to escape from Jumbaa and Pleakley or something people would be lined up around the block for it. Heck, they'd even line up around the block for a really well done Stitch dark ride, I'm sure. Something along the line of the Monsters, Inc. ride in DCA.

The problem with this was not Stitch ... it was that the show was dull, pointless, corny, not synched up with the story, cheap, shabby, low budget in both look and feel, and just completely and totally awful.

That's why it failed.

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2009, 06:29 PM
A Stitch roller coaster would fit in Adventureland.. Based out of a volcano... however, if they going to do a volcano-based ride, I want Journey to the Center of the Earth...

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Ian, this is for you my friend:

From Mouseplanet:

"Stitch getting the boot, not a tune-up

Last week, we reported about rapidly spreading rumors of the pending closure of Stitch's SuperSonic Celebration for retooling. Amazingly, it appears that rather than tweaking the show and rebooting it, Disney is pulling the show outright. The last performance will be this coming Saturday, June 27.

It's unusual that Disney would cut a show so quickly after spending so much time and money preparing for it, including the construction of a huge stage and tech booth in the open space just past Rockettower Plaza in Tomorrowland. Perhaps by making a clean break on Saturday, they will be able to show savings for the company's fourth fiscal quarter, which starts the next day."

:clappy:

Ian
06-23-2009, 08:07 AM
:shake:

ccp1
06-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Well, there goes a lot of money that could have been spent updating some other part of the World.

CaptainSad
06-23-2009, 09:17 AM
I still say it's lack of Imagineering. They have gotten rid of people or they have died off and the new one's have no clue as to what to do. I have seen more things suggested on this web site that would make Walt Disney proud. I am in the business field and have always been taught that you have to spend money to make money. I was also taught that you had to put out a great product to keep them buying or keep them coming back. They are just throwing money away on ideas that people aren't buying. Soon they won't be coming back. Yes, there are us diehard Disney fans that will keep coming back, because that is all we know. But the new one's that are coming are going to say, "Is that all there is?". Unless the Disney Company gets new blood at the top, it will stay the same...

Ian
06-23-2009, 09:50 AM
The thing is, this really only goes on at Walt Disney World. You don't see this kind of stuff happening in Disneyland anymore.

Look at DCA ... they opened that park under another regime that didn't do right by the Disney brand. The current regime went out on a limb and asked for over a billion dollars to go back and do it correctly and they got it!

It's WDW management that's truly at fault. I think when they're given the right budgets, Imagineering can still do amazing work. Now you could make the case that maybe WDI is not well-run, so they need too much money to do jobs right. That I might agree with.

But that's more of an operational issue than a true "imagineering" problem.

No, I definitely blame WDW management 100% for this failure. They're cheap. They want to do everything on a shoestring budget and charge caviar prices for it and it absolutely will come back to bite them in the end. You cannot continuously cut quality and raise prices. At some point, you hit the breaking point and you shoot yourself in the foot.

Personally, from reading all the complaints and negative comments on these boards lately, I think they're getting really, really close to that now.

DizneyRox
06-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Personally, from reading all the complaints and negative comments on these boards lately, I think they're getting really, really close to that now.
I guess it takes some longer than others. I've had a bug up someplace for quite some time about this.

As sad as it sounds, it''s actually kindof refreshing to see others bothered and aggrivated about this. It's a little affirmation that I'm just not [that] crazy.

GothMickey
06-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I still say it's lack of Imagineering. They have gotten rid of people or they have died off and the new one's have no clue as to what to do. I have seen more things suggested on this web site that would make Walt Disney proud. I am in the business field and have always been taught that you have to spend money to make money. I was also taught that you had to put out a great product to keep them buying or keep them coming back. They are just throwing money away on ideas that people aren't buying. Soon they won't be coming back. Yes, there are us diehard Disney fans that will keep coming back, because that is all we know. But the new one's that are coming are going to say, "Is that all there is?". Unless the Disney Company gets new blood at the top, it will stay the same...

This Stitch mess has nothing to do with Imagineering. Not everything goes through them. ENTERTAINMENT created Stitch's Supersonic Failure, not Imagineering. Opinion about Imagineering:

1) Not all the disasters are their fault.
2) They can only work within the budgets allowed. Give them a bigger budget, WATCH OUT!
3) The imagination is there, it is MANAGEMENT that has been telling them what they can and cannot do. Their hands are tied by inept people in roles they do not deserve to have.

Yes, I will continue my lamblasting of the poor managers in charge of the parks in WDW until regime change happens.

Ian
06-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I guess it takes some longer than others. I've had a bug up someplace for quite some time about this.

As sad as it sounds, it''s actually kindof refreshing to see others bothered and aggrivated about this. It's a little affirmation that I'm just not [that] crazy.I sort of feel the same way.

I've been on this bandwagon for five years or more now and at first people just lambasted me for being a "Disney basher."

Now slowly but surely others are coming around. I see more and more people being openly critical of what they're doing down there and it's like a validation that, finally, others are taking off their rose colored glasses and realizing that Disney World has some serious warts these days.

Jll3Sonex
06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
They are just throwing money away on ideas that people aren't buying. Soon they won't be coming back. Yes, there are us diehard Disney fans that will keep coming back, because that is all we know. But the new one's that are coming are going to say, "Is that all there is?".

I'll be honest - with money being a bit tight this year, the main reasons we're going down to Disney this year for summer vacation is because we've got the military tickets already (I'm an AF Reserve retiree, and got them back in March while passing through with the little guy on the way to a Shuttle launch) and the cost of a fair amount of private space for our popup in Ft. Wilderness isn't much higher than a slot in a sardine-can RV resort elsewhere.

If we were going to have to pay for 3 full-price tickets, we most likely wouldn't be going. The cost is too high for the perceived value, at least for us.

I love the place for what it WAS more than what it IS at the present time unfortunately - because Disney's really been coasting while other parks in the area have been building up.

We came down the first year Mission:Space opened - because it was a unique ride in the Disney tradition. It was AMAZING. Would we have come down without it? I can't say - but before M:S opened I was reading everything I could find on this board and the internet about it, and the more I read the more I wanted to ride it.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done the same with Stitch's Supersonic Celebration. At best it would be a "Oh, that's nice" sort of addendum to a park visit, to be caught if you happened to be passing by when it started - but it wouldn't trigger any sort of special trip or special scheduling, at least for our family.

When I come to WDW - I want to be thrilled. I want to see new things, I want to be amazed, I want to be entertained. I want novelty, I want excitement. I don't want half the rides closed for maintenance, I don't want the other half to be motion-simulator rides with cute or outdated overlays. It seems like every two-bit museum's got something like those any more - they're not SPECIAL.

I want to see and do things I won't get anywhere else...

And that used to be Disney.

Maybe it will be again, sometime, but when we've used the remaining days on our military tickets, it's going to take something pretty darn amazing to get us down again.... and a stage show just isn't it. Whether it's the fault of Management, Entertainment or Imagineering doesn't matter - the end result is a customer who regretfully decides to spend his money elsewhere.

Ian
06-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I love the place for what it WAS more than what it IS at the present time unfortunatelyI agree with basically everything you said in your post, but I wanted to single this one comment out because it's exactly how I feel.

I used to feel compelled to visit WDW 3 or 4 times a year, because I just loved the place so much.

Now, we're more likely to visit twice a year. And really, that's mostly because of the kids. If it was up to me, I might not go back again for awhile.

Every time I go, I really have the feeling of being hung up by my heels and shaken for all I'm worth.

Jll3Sonex
06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Every time I go, I really have the feeling of being hung up by my heels and shaken for all I'm worth. I used to joke that they made being separated from your money as painless as possible. The visit in March, I wished I could have given my wallet a shot of novocaine. I know keeping a place like that going requires a lot of people, and personnel costs are through the roof these days, yet I couldn't help but remember when things weren't QUITE so costly.

I was able to get one perfect self-timed shot of me and the little guy at the Imagination Pavillion with the monorail going by overhead - don't know if the driver saw us or not, but it slowed at just the right time. :cloud9: That made it pretty much worthwhile...

THAT is the Disney magic...

mjstaceyuofm
06-23-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree with basically everything you said in your post, but I wanted to single this one comment out because it's exactly how I feel.

I used to feel compelled to visit WDW 3 or 4 times a year, because I just loved the place so much.

Now, we're more likely to visit twice a year. And really, that's mostly because of the kids. If it was up to me, I might not go back again for awhile.

Every time I go, I really have the feeling of being hung up by my heels and shaken for all I'm worth.
Wow.... wasn't expecting that comment about not going there for a while.

I kind of understand how you feel. My wife has always bugged me about other vacation options. WDW was (still is) easy for us with the kids because we have a sense of familiarity with it. We tried to go once / twice a year with the kids when they were younger. But as they've grown older we've found they can handle other options and appreciate them more. We have branched out and started to do different things with our boys - we went to the bahamas, have done some camping/fishing things, some other weekend getaways. My wife really wants to take them to Ireland or the Rockies next year.

Oddly enough, this August will be our 3rd trip in a year to WDW. With the annual passes and DVC points (coupled with some awesome deals on airfare), it's been fairly economical to go back for trips 2 and 3. We've found that in our particular case, we get "wrung" for less money as our kids are older. We don't have to do a bunch of things that cost extra money like character breakfasts, buy pirates league packages, eat at table service restaurants 3 times a day. A morning in the parks, followed by some pool/hang-out time in the afternoon, dinner at a one of the restaurants, followed by Illuminations/Wishes or another hour or so in a park at night works well for us.

Sorry - way off topic....

Any how, this Stitch show sums up all the lame stuff with WDW right now. It was considered a fix on the cheap, didn't add capacity, wasn't "good show", and quite frankly probably was too expensive for what the return was. I'd much rather have them use those resources to maintain the park and "plus" things up elsewhere. The real shame is that they put up a permanent structure that is likely to rot there for a while.

I agree with some of the other comments about the management at WDW. They've just not had the vision or leadership to move things forward to really make the parks a gem. True, light bulbs are being replaced now, but why in the world have things like the old skyway stations, WoL, etc. been left to sit there for years without use?

clou1028
06-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Very weak. Beauty and the Beast can have such a great dark ride. The facade of the show building can look like Beast's castle. Inside, you can be greeted by Lumiere directing you to your omnimover. You can take a tour of Beast's castle with show scenes details parts of the movie. You can pass through the giant ballroom and witness Belle and Beast dance. You can then be "transported" outside where you see Gaston and the mob storming the castle. You'll move up to the castle roof and witness the battle between Beast and Gaston. And finally, witness the transformation of Beast into his human form. WDI can certainly do this, if TDO wasn't so stinking cheap.

And I have a perfect placement for it. ENCHANTED FOREST that may soon be taking up residence in Fantasyland.

Oh my! I think that is a fabulous idea, I most certainly would enjoy that ride.

As sad as it sounds, it''s actually kindof refreshing to see others bothered and aggrivated about this. It's a little affirmation that I'm just not [that] crazy.

You know, on that point, I just spent some time reading this thread, and it kind of opened my eyes to what I was already feeling and couldn't quite place my finger on. When I mentioned going to WDW this fall, I never thought that my husband would so readily agree to it (He's not the fan that I am). But surprisingly, he did, and before he could change his mind I hurried up and booked everything. I was initially excited, as I always am, and started planning our trip with my usual gusto.

But somewhere in the course of my planning, I started feeling somewhat... despondent. I've been combing through the usual guide books, and checking these message boards everyday, searching for something and not finding it. I started to think - has it run it's course, am I just not as interested as I once was in everything Disney? But as I read everyone's thoughts on this thread, I found myself agreeing with many of them!

I find myself thinking this trip I'd kind of just like to hang at my resort pool, and go to TL. I am no where near as excited about the parks as I once was. There was a time that I would not go to WDW without going to every single park. Even if I had to do half days. Now, to be quite honest, I don't think I'd be all that sad to not go to any of them. As it is, I just have plans for us hitting out most favorite attractions, seeing Illuminations, SpectroMagic and Wishes, and that's about it. Sad. I hope better things are in store for WDW's future.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insight, everyone!

Ian
06-23-2009, 07:51 PM
We're kind of the same way, Cindy. We actually had originally planned to go the week after Christmas and do nothing but hang out, eat, and chill. We ended up cancelling, though, because ... eh ... just not feelin' it.

When you stop to consider it, why wouldn't we feel this way??

What has Disney added lately to energize us and bring us back excited?? Balloon rides, dress exhibits, a reality T.V. attraction based on a washed up concept, and a stage show so bad it had to be closed nearly immediately after it opened???

Woo hoo ... yee ha ... sign me up ... :shake:

Jll3Sonex
06-24-2009, 10:13 AM
When you stop to consider it, why wouldn't we feel this way??

What has Disney added lately to energize us and bring us back excited?? Balloon rides, dress exhibits, a reality T.V. attraction based on a washed up concept, and a stage show so bad it had to be closed nearly immediately after it opened???

Woo hoo ... yee ha ... sign me up ... :shake:Yeah, $16 balloon rides and $14 dress exhibits don't quite seem to have the Disney Magic, at least to me.

Seems to me like Disney's forgotten that there's TWO groups it needs to please - the kids, and the adults. Yeah, successful franchises like Hanna Montana and the Jonas Bros. rake in the dough - but where's the adult interest?

It's difficult to create a single item with broad appeal to all demographics. If you can't do that, then you've got to create a wide range of experiences to rake in the interest of as many demographics as you can get. (Heck, just take a look around - 4 theme parks, with all sorts of variations, and it draws millions each year.) And there's things that appeal to both a lot of kids and a lot of adults - witness Test Track and Mission:Space as examples of hitting the mark on that. I'll GLADLY go on back-to-back-to-back rides on those. They are magnificent in design and execution.

But where's that sort of creativity any more? Without it, you're going on momentum - and as any coaster lover knows, that'll only take you so far. Judging by what's being posted here, the Stitch Celebration seems to have become an unintentional brake for some, perhaps indicative of a fault in the system that's slowly shutting the whole fun down.

What can we do to urge a restart of the creative process and get something other than warmed-over stage shows?