PDA

View Full Version : Calling All 14 trip veterans!

jonahbear2006
06-16-2009, 01:05 AM
I would like to hear from the people who have taken two week trips to disney world and how things worked for them, how the kids handled the long trip, how to fight exhaustion, and any tips that can be offered. We went for 9 days and on our 7 th day in the park we almost didnt go cause we were bushed. I can't wait and we have a relaxed itinerary but I still can't help but wonder if we wont be too beat down to finish off our trip. We also have two days off site planned as part of this 14 days. One day at Daytona and one day at Siesta Key.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
06-16-2009, 05:03 AM
My parents and I used to take 2 week trips all the time. Usually one week was dedicated to Disney World and staying on property, while the second week was spent off property doing other things in Florida that we wanted to do. We usually set it up that we would have a "resort/relaxing" day every 1 to 2 days. We would hit a park or two and then take a day that we spent at the pool, shopping, or just doing something relaxing that didn't spend a lot of time and energy doing or spending it standing in the heat. Those days relaxing would also be days that we would go to bed early, somewhere between 7 to 9 pm. Also since we were spending a good amount of time there, on park days, we'd take breaks in the afternoon to go back to the room and take naps, this probably helped more than anything. It allowed sometime to get out of the heat, wash up, and get some sleep. Just keep in mind that you'll get to whatever you can and enjoy that to it's fullest. Don't try to get to everything because it can't be done and you'll be too tired to enjoy it. Hope this helps.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-16-2009, 07:34 AM
We usually set it up that we would have a "resort/relaxing" day every 1 to 2 days. We would hit a park or two and then take a day that we spent at the pool, shopping, or just doing something relaxing that didn't spend a lot of time and energy doing or spending it standing in the heat.
This is a good plan. We try to do it, but we're always afraid we're missing something:blush:, and usually wear ourselves out. We agreed after last trip that we need to seriously just rest at least a day in the middle somewhere.
The naps help.
:vacation:

DizneyRox
06-16-2009, 07:37 AM
With long trips, the key is to not worry about seeing it all. We get an AP and have no problems just heading to the park early one day and then heading home, or ust stopping in to see an attraction then leave, or even just sit and people watch. There's always tomorrow!

5togetherWDW
06-16-2009, 08:22 AM
We love doing longer trips. My children always found it grand. We don't plan any break days, or down time . . . we just play things as they come, as much as possible. Generally, we end up spending almost all of our time in the parks. (Its very rare that we have anyone asking to leave the parks for anything other than mini-golf.) We follow no real plans -- (knowing that there are a few fastpasses we always want to grab early in the days) and only make dinner ressies for a few of the days. We find three or four big plans / character meals are plenty. (If you are on the Dining plan you clearly have to be more planned.) We love the flexibility of longer trips -- when your children realize how often you can say "yes" to their whims -- they'll love it to.

SBETigg
06-16-2009, 08:26 AM
With the exception of sticking to ADRs, having more time allows us to be more spontaneous. Some days, we'll just go to parks for the ADR, or maybe we'll decide to spend a whole day in World Showcase, or at the pool, or resort-hopping/shopping, whatever mood strikes us. Our first four or five days are usually the days we feel the need to go all out in the parks with something like a plan, and then we slack off and just enjoy day-by-day as it comes. Lots of resort time. We love resort time as much as park time.

Mickey'sGirl
06-16-2009, 08:32 AM
I agree with many of the previous posters. We prefer the 2 week trips because it affords us the freedom to do what we want without worrying about missing something...'cause there is always tomorrow. Other than ADR's and maybe a special tour or two, we really don't plan our activities, and we get to spend time at the resort "hanging". Some of our favourite Disney memories are from these unplanned days. :mickey:

teambricker04
06-17-2009, 12:04 AM
We stayed at WDW for two weeks last summer. It was the best vacation I have EVER had. Our two DSs were 3 and nearly 1 at the time... they were very well behaved and enjoyed the trip as much as DH and I! We got APs and took our time. We didn't get any ADRs prior to our trip (we mostly like the CS for the fact that little people are never very calm when hungry), but made some once we got down. We stayed at the BC so we mostly walked every where (walked through EPCOT to get on the monorail to MK, walked to DHS) and took our time. We were at the pool every day. One night, DH and I got a Kids Nite Out sitter which all of us LOVED. Basically, it is like everyone else says... take your time, you are in no rush! Enjoy the pool, take your time to see some of the things you usually rush past!!!

Oh! And we packed two boxes that we had shipped with diapers, toiletries, snacks, and such. With airlines charging so much for baggage, it was nearly the same cost AND we didn't have to carry it or worry about getting to a store.

Dsnygirl
06-17-2009, 02:09 AM
:mickey: We are doing our first "longer" trip in October, and I've loved reading all the tips and ideas... we've pretty much figured our trip to be much like how many of you have described your days, and I'm so glad to hear that it works out so well!

We had a nice 7 night/8 day trip in December, but b/c it was our first trip for the holidays, we found ourselves a bit overwhelmed by everything we wanted to do. We spent a lot of time park-hopping & getting to ADR's that weren't near where we were for the day - we underestimated how much time it would take to travel around, and then felt rushed.

This time, it's a 10 night/9 day trip, and we're really looking forward to having more downtime... I can't tell you how good it sounds to have a day where we actually just hang out at AK and swim and relax and really enjoy our resort!

So, thank you to the OP for starting this thread... I've really liked hearing everybody's tips! :thumbsup: