PDA

View Full Version : 7AM Flight

imaprincess!
06-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Advice please ... we have a 7am flight out of Baltimore that goes directly to Orlando, so we'll get there a little after 9am. Do we still need to get to the airport a bajillion hours prior to our flight (post 9/11)? I don't know if we should spend the night near the airport or just get up very early and leave directly from home. We live about an hour (or slightly less, depending on traffic) north of Baltimore. The last time/trip we spent the night at an airport hotel, but that just seemed to be more shuffling luggage and people around.

ILoveLegos
06-15-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm a little less than an hour away from the airport (when the traffic is moving great I can make it in 30 minutes) and I regularly take a 7:00 am flight from EWR to MCO direct. I usually aim to be at the airport at 5:00 am. Lots of business commuters (like me) take early flights so as to be at their destinations by start of business for meetings / work etc. My experience is that security is a bit formidible even at that time in the morning on work days and weekends are packed with vacationers which swells the line through security. Two hours early assures that I won't have to run through the airport (like the old OJ commercials) to make my flight. I have stayed at an Airport property hotel for an early flight to Hawaii at times - mainly because snowy weather was forecast the night before the trip. The official reccomendation is 3 hours (I think) but I've rarely needed that much time to check in for a 7:00 am, anyhow if I'm early I ususlly pass the time working with my laptop or chill-laxing with my ipod or gameboy at the gate. Hope this helps!

Aggie97
06-16-2009, 12:43 AM
I agree with the previous poster.

We sometimes flew out of BWI when we lived in the DC area. For a domestic flight, two hours was enough time to check in, get through security, and grab a bagel for a quick breakfast.

You might consider allowing a little additional time (on top of the two hours) for parking and getting to the terminal, though -- especially if you haven't flown out of BWI in awhile. :mickey:

DakandZakMom
06-16-2009, 05:32 AM
I fly out of RDU,I have a 8:00 am flight. I am planning to get to the airport at 6:00 am. I have decided to stay down near the airport. I was thinking that I do not want to get up at 3:00 am for the almost 2 hour drive. I want just that little bit of extra sleep (like I will really be sleeping...too excited).

TheRustyScupper
06-16-2009, 06:50 AM
1) Take a book, some breakfast bars and juice.
2) Get there 2-hrs early.
3) If things go well, you can ready and eat.
4) If things go badly, you still make the flight.

yjgirl32
06-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Our Flight is for 6 am, but the airport we are fling out of does not "open" till 5- it is a smaller airport and I was told by people who have flown out of this airport enough at this time that it wont take much to get thru security. Might want to check with airport to make sure when you should be there.

BMan62
06-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Advice please ... we have a 7am flight out of Baltimore that goes directly to Orlando, so we'll get there a little after 9am. Do we still need to get to the airport a bajillion hours prior to our flight (post 9/11)? I don't know if we should spend the night near the airport or just get up very early and leave directly from home. We live about an hour (or slightly less, depending on traffic) north of Baltimore. The last time/trip we spent the night at an airport hotel, but that just seemed to be more shuffling luggage and people around.

This is our normal flight from BWI to MCO (on Southwest.) Living in York, PA, BWI is just over an hour from our house. We generally leave around 4:30am to get parked and over to the terminal by 6am. At that hour of the morning, security checkpoints are less than busy and you can get through in a couple minutes.

Give you plenty of time to sit back and sip on a French Vanilla Cappuccino! (Our favorite!!!)

We'll be doing this exact thing in 91 days!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Checkers
06-16-2009, 09:47 AM
This is our normal flight from BWI to MCO (on Southwest.) Living in York, PA, BWI is just over an hour from our house. We generally leave around 4:30am to get parked and over to the terminal by 6am. At that hour of the morning, security checkpoints are less than busy and you can get through in a couple minutes.

Give you plenty of time to sit back and sip on a French Vanilla Cappuccino! (Our favorite!!!)

We'll be doing this exact thing in 91 days!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Agree. We live just a tad further than York but we like to leave ample time. Now, I will say that if you are flying out on a weekday traffic around the beltway will be much heavier than on the weekends. My advice, always leave time for the unexpected (accident on the beltway, heavy lines through security, etc.). Sure is easier on the nervous system!:mickey:

wdwfansince75
06-16-2009, 09:50 AM
You said your flight goes "directly" to MCO....Is it a direct flight or a non-stop....some of the "direct" flights have long lay overs or multiple stops....and are subject to route changes, so your "direct" flight may become two flights, with change and lay over....
But back to your question....When I lived in New Cumberland, PA, I often caught early flights out of BWI....Traffic flow that time of day is not a problem....But parking can be an issue that time of day, especially mid week, when the lots tend to fill up....From time to time, I would park at the AMTRAK station, and take the bus from the station to the terminal....back then, it saved about $10 a day over long term parking at BWI.

You are going on vacation....if an early get up, and drive is stressful for you, get a place near the airport....I always liked the Embassy Suites just off of the BW Parkway....Found the Sheraton (if it still exists) on the airport access road very noisy.

DisneyWFan
06-16-2009, 10:14 AM
1) Take a book, some breakfast bars and juice.
2) Get there 2-hrs early.
3) If things go well, you can ready and eat.
4) If things go badly, you still make the flight.

1)just to let you know you can not take liquids though security you have to buy any drinks after you get through
2) we live 30 min south of Logan airport in Boston and have taken many flight at the 6:00-7:00 AM time and always plan to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of the flight just in case there is a problem at the counter or security

nicster
06-16-2009, 10:26 AM
IMHO: I HATE those early flights. I would have to get up at 3am (at least) to make a 7am flight, what with parking & security (the lines are the longest in the mornings). Then, when I get to my destination I am a wreck, because I didn't sleep at all the night before due to being anxious about having to get up early & worrying if I forgot anything. My advice, change the flight to an 11am. Get the rest you need, so you can really enjoy your time at WDW.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-16-2009, 11:50 AM
I fly out of the Nashville airport and my DH does weekly (for business). We arrive 1-1 1/2 hours before our flight. Sometimes the airport is crazy busy (especially in the summer due to all the festivals here) and others it's empty. According to several airline websites they recommend 1 1/2 hours and 2 hours for international.

Lucky for us we live 10 mins (with traffic) from the airport so we don't have to worry about being a few minutes late.

Good luck!

dolphinmickey9170
06-16-2009, 11:54 AM
We always take the early flight out of BWI. We live 30 minutes away. Our flight is at 6:50am and we will be there by 5:30am and still have PLENTY of time, always have!

25 more days!!:cloud9:

MarkC
06-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Don't forget to consider the day of the week you are flying. If you are flying on Monday, Thursday or Friday you run into a lot of business travelers and the lines and both check-in and security will be much longer. Other days shouldn't be as bad. Also consider if you are flying on a holiday weekend, a busy summer weekend or a school break week it will be much busier as well. Just a few more things to consider. Mark

Seasonscraps
06-16-2009, 01:22 PM
We always take the early flight out of BWI. We live 30 minutes away. Our flight is at 6:50am and we will be there by 5:30am and still have PLENTY of time, always have!

25 more days!!:cloud9:

This has been my experience with most flights - 90 minutes has been plenty of time. I think the longest it ever took me to get through security/to the gate was an hour. The was THE DAY the airports started to scan checked bags or something in the beginning of 2002.

But you should go with what you are comforatable doing, there's no need to start a vacation sweating it out.

ASweetLov
06-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I live an hour away south of Logan Airport in Boston and my flights have always been between 7am-8am non stop to MCO, if there was an earlier flight than that I would take it. I leave my house 3 hours early. 1 hour for the drive, 1 hour for security, checking in luggage...etc, and then i have an extra hour so if anything happens and to just relax in the airport since I love airports and airplanes! We get dropped off so we dont have to pay for parking :)

russ57
06-16-2009, 05:51 PM
When we fly from BWI, we always get a hotel room, under the fly and drive program through AAA. The hotel parking lot is secure and you don't get gouged on parking fees. Also the hotels drop you off with plenty of time to spare in the am, you are more relaxed and ready for vacation. :number1:

imaprincess!
06-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for your advice, everyone!:thumbsup: