PDA

View Full Version : Transportation from Swan throughout Disney

merlinmagic4
06-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I have friends who are staying at the Swan this summer. Tell me about any other transportation options I'm missing.

DHS: boat
Epcot: walk? (I just read that)
AK: bus
MK: bus

I also thought I read that you can use ME if you are staying at the Swan but another post I just on Intercot says you can't. Yes or no to ME at the Swan?

Any other tips for them?

CleveRocks
06-15-2009, 03:48 PM
There are boats called FriendShip boats that go between Epcot's International Gateway (the back entrance in World Showcase) and Disney's Hollwood Studios. In between, there are stops at Yacht/Beach Club, Boardwalk, and Swan/Dolphin. So from Swan, you can take a boat to Epcot AND to DHS. You can also walk to each. And as you said, bus is the way to get to AK and MK.

As for Disney's Magical Express ... guests staying at Swan are NOT eligible. Whoever said Swan guests can ue DME was just plain wrong. DME is ONLY for guests staying at Disney owned-and-operated resorts, and Swan is neither owned nor operated by Disney ... it just sits on Disney property.

Some of the DME confusion has to do with the fact that in the DME area there are often signs for Swan and Dolphin, so people incorrectly assume that Swolphin guests can use DME. In fact, they can't. But the signs are there because Disney subcontracts the buses and drivers for both DME and DIsney Cruise Line transportation to the same company, Mears. They allow Mears to site their DCL buses at the DME area (it's officially called the Disney Welcome Center). Many people who do a Land/Sea package choose Swan or Dolphin as their "land" resort. People on a Land/Sea package can choose to pay for DCL bus transfers from airport to resort and then from resort to airport, or any combination thereof.

As a result, people who pay for DCL transfers go to the DME area to get their bus to their resort.

And on rare occasion, Disney or Mears can choose to inter-mingle DME and DCL passengers on the same bus, if it makes it efficient for all involved.

But for someone who simply booked a room at Swan, NO, they can't use DME.

So, if you can follow all these details, THAT is why some people incorrectly think that Swolphin guests afre eligible for DME.

If I have succeeded in confusing you, please ask again!:mickey:

merlinmagic4
06-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Cleverocks, do I seem to be easily confused!:D

Kidding! ;)

What is the best way for them to get from the airport to the Swan? They don't necessarily want to rent a car and they really don't have to to get around Disney anyway. Any suggestions?

CleveRocks
06-15-2009, 11:25 PM
If there are 2 people, the cheapest way would be to pay for a shuttle provided by Mears Transportation. They can reserve it in advance, or just show up at the counter and pay. This will be the least expensive, but also the least convenient, as there could be considerable wait for other passengers, and then multiple stops along the way. For 2 adults, it'll cost $66 round-trip, plus a tip for the driver since he/she will be loading your luggage under the bus and getting it back out for you.

They could just catch a taxi at the airport. But for roughly the same cost as a taxi, I'd recommend they book a car service to get to and from the resort. They can book a large sedan, an SUV, a limo ... whatever they want and are willing to pay for. A car service ride will be private ... just them, no other people except the driver. The driver will meet them at baggage claim and help them with their luggage, and then drive them directly to their resort. A car service may run in the neighborhood of about $120 or $130 round-trip plus tips for the drivers (customary is 10% of the 1-way fare for each driver ... so if it's $120 round trip that's $60 one-way so a tip of at least $6 would be the minimum customary tip, although I'd probably do at least $10 for good service).