PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever 'shared' a room with your parents?

Gregandmel
06-15-2009, 08:30 AM
We are hoping to go back to WDW next April/May 2010. Originally, there were going to be 6 of us - my family of 4 (2 DS's ages 10 & 19) and my parents. Our plans are to stay at POFQ. Our older son just told us he probably will not go on the trip since he will be in college and doesn't feel he can take off work and school in order to go - which now puts us to 5 people. Our options have now changed because of this and we are "considering" staying at the Poly since their rooms will hold 5. We all get along great, but I'm afraid that being TOGETHER that long MIGHT put a strain on things. Anyone ever shared a room with your parents, or another couple? How was it? The cost would be about the same if we split the room cost (still higher, but doable and hey - it's the POLY!!!). What are your thoughts on this situation????? Thanks!!!

gaffz70
06-15-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm always curious to hear others experience w/ this. I am in the same boat, my Mom will be staying with us and I really worry about the bathroom situation and getting ready. My kids are much younger than yours(5 and 8), I'm thinking that 5 adults in that room might make it uncomfortable - but would love to hear from people who have actually done it!

Mickey'sGirl
06-15-2009, 09:14 AM
We've shared regular hotel rooms with my parents loads of times. The only issue was timing the bathroom in the morning (Ok.. that and my DH's snoring keeping them laughing through the night). The longest we have done so is about 7 days, and if my Mom were still alive, we wouldn't hesitate to "shack" up with them again.

Dad will be staying with the 4 of us (me, DH, DS11 and DS5) at BWV for 5 days in August -- I don't anticipate any issues. :thumbsup:

Seasonscraps
06-15-2009, 09:18 AM
To be honest, you couldn't pay me to consider having 4 adults and a 10 year old stay in one regular hotel room. That's a lot of people's sleeping schedules/habits that need to be accomodated. One bathroom makes it harder for everyone to get ready. There wouldn't be enough places to sit. No privacy.

deedeebee
06-15-2009, 09:30 AM
We are leaving in 15 days:cloud9: staying at the Poly, we will be in the same building, (club) we don't even want connecting rooms! There are 5 in our family DS 13,DD12 and DD11. They are very busy, and excited to be there, my parents NEED some peace and quiet:blush: They are older and have raised my nephew (17), their family is different. We will do lots of things together, but they need down time, the Poly is the perfect place for it:lei: So I would say 2 rooms!

disneymom15
06-15-2009, 09:57 AM
My daughter and I shared a room with my mother once, never again. She always complains that she's awake all night long. Well, let me tell you, within 2 minutes of her head hitting the pillow she's asleep and snoring like crazy. We tried wearing earplugs and could still hear her.
We've shared our room with many other people and have never had any problems. My tip would be, find out if any of the room mates snore.

Kerry823
06-15-2009, 10:29 AM
We shared a room with my parents and 3 year old many years back. I would not do it again. However, one good thing did come out of it. I thought my entire life that my father snored like crazy....I found out it was actually my mother.;)

Anyway, people need their own space. If you can swing it, pay for two rooms. You will be glad you did.

Gregandmel
06-15-2009, 10:42 AM
thanks for the responses. We can't afford 2 rooms at the Poly - but if we "shared" 1 room, we could swing it. But - my gut tells me to stick with 2 separate rooms at POFQ. We all need our "space" throughout the day and too much togetherness might not be a good thing. Thanks for sort of driving the point home. I think in my heart I knew it would be better, but wanted some feedback on it. Thanks everyone!!!!! :thumbsup:

Dragongirlx
06-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I find it difficult enough to share with my sister. I snore and talk (shout) in my sleep and that drives her nuts and I can't stand how long she takes to get ready in the morning (ultra long hair that takes forever to dry) but of course we are at Disney world so we put up with it. If I had to share with either of my parents though I probably end up pushing them out the window. My dad snores terribly (even worse than me) and my mother thinks it is absolutly fine for her to use the bathroom when you are having a shower and then there would be the constant rummaging through your stuff.
If i were you I would definatly get separate rooms

Disney Doll
06-15-2009, 10:44 AM
I think it really depends on the person. We once had a connecting room with MIL and never again! However, we've had connecting rooms with my parents and it worked great. My parents recently bought into DVC and we are taking a big family trip in Sept at the AK Villas. However, even that's not exactly like sharing a room because each family has their own bathroom and bedroom. I love my parents and we travel well together, but I'm not sure I'd agree to sharing one room and one bathroom between 5 people. That's bound to be a stresser.

pox24
06-15-2009, 10:46 AM
My DW and I took my Mom and Dad to the Poly for a long week end. We were on the first floor facing the castle. The room was shared to save a little money. My Dad always snored very loud, so in anticipation my wife and I bought ear pugs. Mom, being married to him for over 50 yrs was immune to the snoring. The first night was great... very manageable. But on Saturday night, Dad was sawing wood so loud Stephanie and I left the room at 2:00 am and and slept in the lobby till 7! All the CM's were coming to work passing by us and saying good morning as we curled up with our blankets on the wicker couches. On Friday night he had his scotch and sat with Mom on the swing looking at the MK. He then yelled over to us that he was walking to our room for a pit stop. We all watched and laughed till we cried as he went into the wrong room. Good thing nobody was there!
It was a truly unique week end with the folks. Dad died 4 years ago, and a day doesn't go by that I wish we could be with them at WDW again.

Yvette
06-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Life's too short! Get two rooms at a moderate. :D

Trust me you will drive each other nuts.

mickeymousedabomb
06-15-2009, 12:57 PM
So this coming Nov will be the third time we will share with the folks. First my girls and I shared with my dad, not one issue. I always got up first and showered in the am and then woke up dad cause he's the fastest shower taker. Then the girls were last. We were always out of the room at decent times, probably before 8:30. We'd come back mid day for pool dip and nap and back at the parks again. Second time was with mom and things ran smooth again pretty much the same routine except she showered at night. There was never a space issue b/c we really just showered and slept in the rooms anyways so I do not believe there was an issue on any part. If there was I guess she wouldn't have agreed to go again with the same conditions right? We all have had great times going together and being on the same page about things helps alot too. We are looking forward very much to our up coming trip!

bruin1344
06-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Personally i would rather do 2 moderate rooms or 2 value rooms if i cant afford moderate. Its nice to have privacy once and while during the trip.

Tinkerfreak
06-15-2009, 02:21 PM
the bathroom situation is even harder at the Poly because they don't have the vanity out in a seperate are like most other resorts. The vanity is in the same room as the shower. We found that hard because we are used to other people being able to brush their teeth, do make-up and hair etc. even when someone is in the shower. We couldn't do that when we stayed at the Poly. This year we will have MIL with us so we are only doing 2 days at Poly and then switching over to BC.

Hull-onian
06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
NO!!!:noway:

mermaidmarian
06-15-2009, 06:14 PM
I think the 5 people to a room limit really contemplates that a majority of those people are going to be of the child variety. :mickey:

I really cannot imagine the hassle of sharing what is a pretty small space, with more than 1 other adult - not to mention the suitcases and all of the other "stuff"!

But, I am relatively young. My mother, a spritely 70 yoa, would rather not go with us to WDW if she had to share a room. She wants the luxury of being able to turn the tv on at night when she wakes up (as she always does) and wants to be able to move around in her room at her own pace, not necessarily the pace of DH and I, or our 11 year old son or my 7 year old nephew. For her, her separate room is the respite she needs from the hectic pace of our typical WDW vacation. She loves to come, she loves Disney, but she needs the down time. She wouldn't get it if she was bunking with us.

So, my advice is to think of it from the POV of your parent. It might be okay for you - "hey, it's Disney, how much time are we really going to spend in the room?!" - but that might not be the ticket for your parents. You want them to have as great a time as you do, and to be looking forward to the next trip back, not looking for excuses to stay at home.

pink
06-15-2009, 07:11 PM
I second Yvette's suggestion- get two rooms at a moderate hotel. It's not worth the possible frustration.

We shared one room in Disney once with my grandmother, father, mother, brother and myself and we were all ready to leave a few days in because of the lack of space.

:mickey:

TiggeRia
06-15-2009, 09:31 PM
We had four adults in one room at the Poly, and didn't really have any issues. It was me, my brother, and our parents. My brother and I were both in mid to late twenties at the time. We had a few spats here and there, but overall, it was well worth the hassle to fall asleep and wake up each morning seeing the castle and watch fireworks every night. We had a fabulous time together and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Even the bathroom situation was ok--some showered at night, some in the morning. We've also crammed four adults into a room at the AKL, which was a little tighter of a squeeze, but we all came out unscathed.

alaMode
06-16-2009, 07:26 AM
My parents (early 70s) stayed with us
(DH, DS (7-8) and me) twice at the Poly.

Both times it was a 7-day trip in the spring. We celebrated DS' b-day on both trips.

Overall it was fine--my parents didn't spend too much time in the parks. We left early in the morning while they were still sleeping and returned mid-day when they were at the pool. In the evening we had dinner together and/or went to the parks together.

It was fun!

My son absolutely loved spending so much time with his grandparents.

For our last trip, DS and I stayed at Pop. My parents stayed 2 doors down in their own room. The rooms at Pop were too small to accommodate all 4 of us comfortably.

We'll be staying at Pop again in December. If my parents can join us, they'll have their own room again!

Tess

LauraF
06-16-2009, 09:16 AM
I've done this several times with my parents, and at a moderate too.

It helps to have time apart in the parks - my family would meet for lunch and spend part of the afternoon together, but the daytime was up to each person. That way we could see each other if we wished, but weren't tired of each other by the time the bus got to the park each day.

It also helps that some in the family are morning people and some aren't . . .

pixiesmimi
06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
We have stayed in connecting rooms with DD's family at the values and have stayed in same room in some instances. Both worked out fine but we really would rather have a room of our own, mainly for the extra bathroom. We usually split the kids up though between the two rooms. DH does snore though so that might be a factor now.

disneyfamily05
06-18-2009, 04:39 PM
I just returned from a trip featuring myself, DS8, DD6; the my dad, his wife, and 16-year old sister.

At first his reaction was we can all share a room... uh. no.

We decided to use to Ft Wilderness cabins and it was great. There was one bedroom with a double (?) bed; a set of bunk beds; and a murphy bed in the living room. It was really nice b/c we were together, but had enough space to ourselves too.

Just another option.

tdk316
06-18-2009, 06:31 PM
DH and I took my mom to WDW for Mother's Day one year and reserved two rooms at POFQ that were not adjoining, but around the corner from each other - best thing we did the entire trip. :mickey:

jillluvsdisney
06-18-2009, 07:59 PM
My cousin did 5 people in one room at POLY and said never again. The bathroom situation is what did it for her. I did just go with my parents in November and we shared a room. 3 of us was fine because it a large room. I was a fasciast about keeping things neat and picked up though. My Dad was given a designated area for his junk and pack rat stuff and that was it.
When we have stayed at resorts with smaller rooms (WL or FOFQ) i have my own room.

Kaps
06-18-2009, 08:16 PM
I have shared a room with my inlaws and have not had a problem. Port Orleans riverside has a trundle bed and can fit 5 people as long as you have one child willing to sleep on the smaller bed. If you can do it I would stay longer and share rather than getting two rooms and leave early. We always stay at least ten days and this helps with costs. Good Luck:mickey:

dinahvixen
06-23-2009, 06:55 AM
My dd and dh and I shared a room with my dad - very awkward! My husband and I felt weird sleeping together in our bed with my dad in the next bed, and it there was a curtain that separated the room area from the bathroom (POR) which was nice for dressing, but I was still self concious when dd would make comments about body parts while dressing! Plus, what others have said about having your own space is true; it's our own nuclear family vacation which lost a little with dad rooming with us. He felt awkward too, having to go to bed when we went to bed, or feeling like he was waking us up if he came in later after going to the piano bar. This year we have our own rooms!

PixieMagic
06-23-2009, 12:30 PM
We've done this multiple times, and as many posters have said, our main issue is bathroom time...we really don't spend much time in the room, but it can be a pain when you wake up having to use the restroom and someone is in the shower! :blush:

That being said - the savings is worth it and we will be doing it again this August! :thumbsup:

jakeybake
06-23-2009, 02:10 PM
The fact that I'm able to type this and am not locked up in Danvers State Mental Hospital up here in Massachusetts should answer your question :)

But for those who don't get what I'm trying to say;

NO and I would never even consider it, and I love my parents and In-Laws but that is a disaster waiting to happen!!

Jay

piglet,pooh,and goofy2
06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Did "The Grandmom's Tour" in 2006 . The grandmoms (early 70's) shared a room that connected to ours (DH,DS-4 at the time,+ I) at CSR. I was really glad we opted for 2 rooms. With the shared door open, we had more room. DS could watch Disney Channel in one room and the adults had a TV in the other. 2 frigs for keeping drinks/food is a perk with a larger group. It also helped with the various bedtimes and morning routines. We had to store the rented ECV in the room when it was not in use too.
Also, to maintain family peace, you can close the door.( If the togetherness is getting to be too much).
Have a great time making memories with your parents!:mickey:----Kim:piglet::pooh::goofy:

:rocks: Wendy@ Magical Journeys:angel::woohoo: WL 7/09

AdventurerKim
06-23-2009, 10:12 PM
My parents, DH, and I stayed in one room at CBR on one trip which was been fine for the first few days, but then we started to get on each other's nerves. We definitely needed our "space" and now get two rooms. My DB, his gf, DH, and I stayed at CBR for the last Pleasure Island weekend trip, and that worked out fine. No issues. Short trip.

Belster
06-23-2009, 10:40 PM
We have done this almost every time that we have gone. Now I continue to do it because I always forget how annoyed I am by day 5...but in the end we have always had a great time. I think we may switch out CSR to Poly in October and do the same again. You will be ok just plan for some alone time at the pool or something.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Thankfully, no. But I have been the parent sharing with my grown kids several times. Love the special time getting to hang out w/them, and I think they were fine w/it. I'm a pretty good roommate. Once when we all went, it got a little cozy. Apparently I hold the Snoring Queen title:blush:, but my middle DD is quite capable of stealing the crown, I must say.
I'd say it's a toss-up...