PDA

View Full Version : WDW with Teen and Pre-Teen

imaprincess!
06-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I have three children: a boy - age 13, a girl -age 11 and another girl - age 6. Would you be comfortable with letting the older ones wander off a bit on their own at the parks? I mean, I wouldn't drop them off at the gates in the morning and pick them up at night! I'm just talking about letting them go for 1/2 hour or so while we let the little one enjoy her rides. :confused: I'm doing what moms do best - trying to please everyone!

Scott C
06-14-2009, 08:54 PM
It would depend on the kids familiarity with the parks and their maturity level -- It really depends on the kids. I let my kids do that--but they were comfortable with the situation

Thanks
Scott

princessimagineer
06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
it does depend, but i know my sister and i have been going to the parks, well more magic kingdom, on our own since i was 14 and she was 16, but we were staying in the contemporary, so its not like we were traveling far or anything being two teenage girls.

mouseketeer mom
06-14-2009, 09:34 PM
My kids are now 15, 13, and 9. We just started letting them go off on their own this year, just in the MK. We let the girls (oldest two) do this. Granted, they know this park like its their own backyard, they both have cell phones, and they are responsible kids. Its only for brief periods of time, not a days worth of alone time!!! We go through the rules first, we are in steady contact. This year we also let my son join them while we took the DVC tour. It was for two hours and the rules were strict. All went well. I wouldn't allow them to travel from park to park, or be anywhere that we weren't close by. They did monorail themselves to the MK from the Poly.

Daddy Mouse
06-14-2009, 10:02 PM
We let ours go at age 11 and 12 in the same park. We had used walkie talkies back then to keep in touch. They decided it was better to be with us after a few hours.

I would recommend that one of them have a cell phone if not both. Make sure that they stay together at all times, except the restrooms. If they are mature smart children they should do fine for a couple of hours, before checking in with you.

sisterslovindisney
06-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I think you are probably the best judge of your kids. Age isn't always the definitive answer..maturity, common sense, and problem solving skills are most important. I really don't see any problem if you know your kids have those traits. I always think about if I would let them walk around alone in a different setting like the mall, a local amusement park, the fair, etc. If you can trust them in those situations then you should be able to trust them in Disney. Like pp's said, it is good to have specific rules, cell phones, and meeting time/place.

VWL Mom
06-17-2009, 08:58 AM
As dumb as this may sound, remind them to turn their cell phones on! Last year my two turned them off going into Philharmagic (good thing) but forgot to turn them on when they were done (bad thing).

tink2006
06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
I would recommend that one of them have a cell phone if not both. .

As dumb as this may sound, remind them to turn their cell phones on! Last year my two turned them off going into Philharmagic (good thing) but forgot to turn them on when they were done (bad thing).

I would agree a cell phone is a must - both for the kids as well as the adults.