PDA

View Full Version : Best Ways to Save on Airfares?

VolMickey
06-14-2009, 10:33 AM
With airfares not coming down, it seems, post your ideas for fellow ICOT members to save on airfare from their home city to their home in WDW. Tips?

Donald
06-14-2009, 11:18 AM
I usually go direct to the carrier's website-I seem to get the best deals that way

DizneyRox
06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Fly Southwest...

Jared
06-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Do you use the Memphis airport? In my experience, the prices there are always absurd. Are there any other options? I know a lot of people from the Memphis area use the airport in Little Rock, Ark., instead, but that seems like quite a trip for you.

doombuggygal
06-14-2009, 02:43 PM
I just booked a flight on airtran.com from Baltimore to Orlando for late Oct/early Nov. for $49 per person each way. We don't even have our park accomidations lined up yet but the flight deal was so good we went ahead and booked. I signed up to get a weekly e-mail from travelzoo.com that has the top 20 travel deals of the week. That's how I found out about the cheap flight.

kakn7294
06-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Drive.

Seriously though, I have Southwest's DING! program downloaded on my computer and watch all the time for great fares. However, since I haven't seen any for us, we're driving.

FredTaco
06-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Cross check the Nashville and Memphis airpots. You're close enough to Nashville to make that a viable option for you. I'm sure that 75% of the time Nashville will be cheaper. Like a previous poster said, the prices here are generally absurd.

That being said, Northwest had decent prices on a direct recently, and Airtran is seldom over 250.

Daddy Mouse
06-14-2009, 09:55 PM
There are some days that it is cheaper to fly into and out of Orlando. Some flights going to Sanford can be cheap but then ther is no ME and a rental car can eat the savings up quickly. I took the following steps to find the best fare for our dates.

1. I went to a travel site like Orbitz and priced the desired flights.
2. I went directly to the airline sight to search the same flights. (This works best if you are using just one carrier) They were usually cheaper than the travel sites.
3. Repeated steps above every day.

I didn't choose the cheapest flight, but I did choose times that worked best for DW and myself.

Mitzie
06-14-2009, 10:06 PM
I agree with others that driving to a different/larger airport my be needed to get a better price. We have a few of the major airlines that fly out of two airports near us...SouthBend, FortWayne...but they are not non-stop and the price tends to be higher. Yes Allegiant post good prices non-stop but into Stanford and then the extra money comes in transportation once you get there. Both trips we have opted to drive 3 hours to Indy and get a better fare. We got flights for early Dec. for $58 on Airtran each way. It was more than twice that to fly from closer to home.

mickkey
06-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi I just used airmiles for flights in March (March6-16), last year paid over 1000.00 for each seat (family of 3 = over 3000.00) This year with airmiles paid 608.88 + 9750 airmiles :cloud9: We fly from Halifax NS and always fly into MCO and use ME. If renting a car we rent from Alamo @ Swan/Dolphin. ;)