PDA

View Full Version : Le Cellier --What's the Hype?

marlaine
06-13-2009, 01:52 PM
We're going to WDW in Sept. during the Free Dining Plan--but we're paying for dining (because the 40% off room at the Poly was a better deal).
My question is--is Le Cellier that good, or is it so hard to get because people want to get the most out of their dining plan? :confused:
What makes it so desirable?
I'm making my ADRs this Monday. I have 1 itinerary with it and one without.

GoofyforFun
06-13-2009, 02:32 PM
As you see on here It can be all the Rave. We did get in last time (11). It has some great atmosphere . and for the most part the food is good. My brother was down at Easter time and had a bad experience from the food to the everything????? :angry::angry:

SBETigg
06-13-2009, 02:39 PM
I think it's consistency that makes Le Cellier a favorite on many lists. It's good. It's not outstanding. It is overrated, in my opinion. But you rarely hear of someone having a bad meal. Also, it's pretty standard fare, nothing exotic or overly fancy, so it appeals to most tastes. You know what you can expect from a place like Le Cellier, so it's not a big risk of a choice.

Gator
06-13-2009, 03:55 PM
The atmosphere is OK, so I don't think people go there for that. But the food is the best at Epcot. The steaks are good (although not as good as Outback), and the deserts are really good. It's really pricey, but that's because everyone wants to go there.

Jared
06-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Full disclosure: I have never been to Le Cellier. I've never had any interest. The menu looks quite boring and basic, and I have also wondered why it was so appealing. Considering I have never had a particularly wonderful experience at a World Showcase restaurant, I'm not flocking to try any others. There are too many places I like.

I think people flock to Le Cellier because of its simplicity, though. The average guest wants steak, evidenced by what people order at all of the Disney restaurants. It seems more people order steak at Coral Reef than anything else, and that's a seafood joint! I believer Le Cellier serves relatively high-quality steak in a somewhat unique setting. But I think there are so many intriguing and different restaurants around Disney that the idea of a steakhouse seems a little lackluster.

I'm absolutely not criticizing the restaurant. I'm sure it is very effective at whit it does. I'm just not sure why that is the high standard.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-13-2009, 05:16 PM
We've been to Le Cellier a couple of times, but it no longer makes our list!

It is small, which adds to the "challenge" of getting an ADR, which then makes it more popular, 'cause everyone wants the "hard-to-get" ADR.

Overall, the food is good, and it is fairly simple, so people know that they will like it.

I hate to say it, but the service is hit-and-miss, we had super-great service and we've had lousy service.

It is a nice place to eat, but it isn't the be all and end all of places at Disney. We don't bother going back 'cause there are so many other great places to eat at Disney.

RedSoxFan
06-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I agree, it's overrated. It took 3 trips before we were finally able to get an ADR on our last trip. It was good; but not great and sure wasn't worth the money. I thought my steak was so much better at Raglan Road.

DizneyRox
06-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Le Cellier is comparable to your local chain steakhouse (i.e. Outback, etc). I don't get the hype, but when you throw the DDP into the mix, espdcailly "free" dining, people want to get their monies worth, and steakhouses are usually top of the list.

I don't recall if Le Cellier was all that big pre "free" dining or DDP. I don't think it was becuase if you're paying OOP, it's an expensive meal, however quality of the food was better back then too. Pre DDP Le Cellier probably lived up to the hype.

TheRustyScupper
06-13-2009, 08:03 PM
1) Le Cellier is above average, but not great.
2) It does compare with your local steak house or "Outback" or "Texas Steakhouse".
3) Certainly not in the class of Ruth's Chris or Morton's.
4) However, what it does have is people talking.
5) It is getting what is known as Confirmation Bias.
6) This is a term all restaurateurs seek.
7) It is when people use excuses to Confirm their Bias, good or bad.
8) Thus, even when mediocre, people walk away ecstatic.

NOTE: There have been many experiments where people were convinced something was great and were presented with mediocrity. They still thought it was great. The negative visa versa was also tried, and the result was as predicted. So, in the case of Le Cellier, people are convinced it is better than it is, and they convince themselves it is so. (Even the Food Channel did one of these experiments, and the theory was proven as valid.)

jcvalenti
06-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Personally, I don't think it is worth the hassle. Most of the 'rave' reviews I see about it make me wonder if the people posting them have ever been to another steakhouse, because as far as the actual steak goes, I would say Le Celier is below average.

It's a nice place, but nothing specatacular ... and personally I think Le Celier has gotten worse ever since the DDP started ... maybe just due to the fact it's packed constantly now.

Last trip we went, my steak at Coral Reef was much better than Le Celier, and their wine list was much better too.

For my money at Epcot, I'd rather eat at Coral Reef, Teppan Edo, or the Biergarden. And if I want a steak, I'd haul over to the Contemporary and hit the California Grill.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I thought the same thing until I tried it last year. My steak was so tender I could cut it with my fork and the mushroom risotto was cooked perfectly... not soggy.

I found it to be one of the best dining experiences at WDW and the steak sooooo much better than Outback or any other similar steakhouse. My steak was definitely along the lines of Ruth Chris.

pokci
06-13-2009, 10:22 PM
It does NOT compare to any local steakhouse I've been to, including Morton's. For my money, Le Cellier is consistently better tasting, the meat is consistently tender and prepared well and the service is always friendly. Each time we go, which is at least once on every trip, we learn something new about Canada. We try something new there, or have an old favorite, get to know the server since they always change and always enjoy the experience. Any food item I've had there, including the fish, has been wonderful. I have several steakhouses around the area and Le Cellier would still be my first choice.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about the mushroom filet! :cloud9:

Seasonscraps
06-13-2009, 11:15 PM
I don't get the hype. I went there years ago and did not enjoy one part of the meal (my order was prepared wrong, the waiter was inattentive, etc.) there are way too many options in Disney that I never saw the need to even try to get an ADR there again.

JavaDuck
06-14-2009, 02:55 AM
We ate at Le Cellier last year. Overall it was the best meal of the week. Every part of the meal was great and the service was great. I think the food is better than Outback, but not on par with a high end steakhouse.

We are eating at Le Cellier again this coming August (actaully eating there twice). One of the tricks to getting an ADR is to be flexible with the days and times you want to eat. We did get one of the days and times we wanted for the ADR, but had to be flexible on the 2nd,

mouseketeer mom
06-14-2009, 09:05 AM
We've eaten here twice. It is my opinion that it is quite overrated as well. Its good steak, nothing knock your socks off outstanding. I've made just as good steak at home, or have had just as good steak out at local places. My husband was shocked to learn how difficult it was to secure an ADR at Le Cellier. He just didn't get it. So, would we go back? Sure. Would I get up at the crack of dawn to attempt an ADR? Nope. Not worth the trouble, in our opinion.

MinnieMommie
06-14-2009, 09:07 AM
I think Le cellier serves good (not great) food although some things on the menu are quite outstanding (I am a long standing fan of the cheddar cheese soup!). As in all cases preferences are a matter of taste. We have not preferred the steaks at Le Cellier to other WDW restaurants and when we are looking for a steak meal this is not where we dine. We have also had less than good luck with the service ranging from ok to worse than ok. Le Cellier is basically fine but not on the top of the list for anyone in my family. As The RustyScupper mentioned, it's reputation may be the result of "confirmation bias". :mickey:

Cheloconnell
06-14-2009, 10:10 AM
It is hands down our favorite meal in the World. The filet mignon, creamy mashed potatos and the chocolate mousse for dessert - yummy! In fact last time we had three reservations for there. We can't get enough :mickey:

joonyer
06-14-2009, 12:21 PM
. . .
5) It is getting what is known as Confirmation Bias.
6) This is a term all restaurateurs seek.
7) It is when people use excuses to Confirm their Bias, good or bad.
8) Thus, even when mediocre, people walk away ecstatic.

NOTE: There have been many experiments where people were convinced something was great and were presented with mediocrity. They still thought it was great. The negative visa versa was also tried, and the result was as predicted. So, in the case of Le Cellier, people are convinced it is better than it is, and they convince themselves it is so. (Even the Food Channel did one of these experiments, and the theory was proven as valid.)

Very Interesting! Penn & Teller did a similar experiment for one of their "BS" shows. At a particularly upscale restaurant, they served the most expensive bottled water in the world, (something like $10.00/bottle) bottled someplace in the Alps, I think. They asked people for their "critiques" of the water and all gave glowing reviews, using all the cliche stellar adjectives such as "crisp", "clean", "no aftertaste" , "much better than American bottled water" "excellent" etc.

Turned out all of the water for this experiment came from the garden hose out back the bus boys used to wash out the trash cans. Even after people were told this, many refused to believe it and still insisted they had enjoyed expensive bottled water. They couldn't admit they had spent $10 for ordinary tap water.

This says something both about bottled water and people's expectations and "confirmation bias". At Le Cellier. many people will not readily admit they spent hours trying to get an ADR and and/or pay a premium price for an ordinary meal. On my visits there, the food was ordinary, good but nothing great. DW and I much prefer the Rose & Crown. Not that the food is that much better, but the atmosphere is much more enjoyable to us. There's nothing exciting to us about eating in a basement. We prefer a view with our meal.

We got a much, much better steak at Ruth's Chris. Even so, I didn't think the Ruth's Chris meal was worth the price we paid. It was a treat for a special occasion, but I wouldn't pay that much to dine there (or anywhere else) regularly.

To each his own. That's what's makes Epcot a good place for vacation dining. Lots of choices for everyone.

TheRustyScupper
06-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Even after people were told this, many refused to believe it and still insisted they had enjoyed expensive bottled water. They couldn't admit they had spent $10 for ordinary tap water.

1) Yup.
2) We have financial interests in two eateries.
3) One is fine dining.
4) Now, EVERY eatery makes a goof once in a while.
5) I have witnessed goofs, and the waiter covered it.
6) He would say something like
. . . "I oversaw this dish personally.", or
. . . "Can't you just hear the freshness?", or
. . . "You are so lucky to get this last piece of GREAT beef."
7) We get very few complaints.
8) And, the people rave about the quality.
9) Confirmation Bias is suchj a nice thing.

Daisy'sMom
06-14-2009, 07:29 PM
This Le Cellier lover has to ask one question. What is Ruths Chris?

Jeffybob
06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is a nationwide steak resturant.

www.ruthschris.com

DizneyRox
06-14-2009, 07:40 PM
This Le Cellier lover has to ask one question. What is Ruths Chris?
A high end steakhouse chain. I've never had a bad meal there, but the wallet is much lighter at the end of the meal. There are better, but as far as a chain goes, it's tough to beat.