PDA

View Full Version : ME Luggage Question

Luv4WDW
06-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Now that Mickey's Magical Express has been around for a while, I was wondering if anybody has had any (recent) experiences with them. I'm curious as to how long it took your luggage to arrive in your room. We're staying at the GF if that makes any difference. I'm just trying to figure out what to pack in the carry on! I'm concerned we won't be able to pack sunscreen in the carry on due to the size limit (> 3oz). We leave in 9 days! :cloud9:

KAT1811
06-13-2009, 12:27 PM
It can take a few hours to get to your room. The luggage is transported separately so level of accomodations isn't really a factor more the arrival time of the luggage to your resort and how many people they are delivering to and where you end up falling in their lineup.

When we last used ME I want to say it took about 1 1/2 hours maybe 2 to arrive in our room. We checked in, ate dinner, went to our room and it arrived shortly after us. Good luck.

Personally I would just buy sunscreen when I got to the GF. But if you would rather bring it with you why not get a small travel bottle that would be compliant with FAA standards and fill it with sunscreen if that is your only worry. If you need two 3oz bottles put one in the carry on and one in your purse. You can always pack another big bottle in the suitcase.

Pirate Granny
06-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I agree with the previous poster...take a small bottle in your carry-on and bathing suits, etc. I never count on luggage for at least 4 hours...the last trip, I believe it took 5 hours for my daughters luggage to arrive...no problem as she brought everything needed for that evening (they didn't arrive until 5pm)...we I arrive early am...I bring everything with me for the day in my carry-on...change clothes and check the carry-on into the luggage area if I don't want it for the rest of the day...we arrive back to the room after dinner and of course the luggage is there...and we retrieve any carry-on that is checked...
Did you know Southwest is trying out ME for the return trip to the airport...we were pleasantly surprised on June 2nd at the Pop...
:pirate:

pink
06-13-2009, 01:18 PM
We stayed at Pop, we arrived at 9 am and got to the hotel by 10 am. When we were back in the room at 3 pm our luggage was there, that was in September.

However, I have heard that people who arrive at night tend to not get their baggage until the next morning or late that night.

A hunch of mine is that people who get there early in the morning, get their baggage earlier. :mickey:

CleveRocks
06-13-2009, 04:26 PM
In your DME materials, Disney says to expect your DME bags within about 3 hours of the time you check-in to your resort (3 hours from resort check-in, NOT 3 hours from airplane landing).

If you want, you can transfer sunscreen into smaller bottles, as long as those bottles are labeled with the size, proving that it's 3.4 oz. (100 ml) or smaller. There is absolutely NO requirement that liquids and gels be in their original factory containers.

If you land at MCO after 10 p.m., you have no choice but to get your own luggage ... DME doesn't pick up in-bound bags at the airport between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.

I've always received my DME bags in a timely manner. But most of the time, I don't know exactly how long they took because we were out having a good time rather than hanging around the room.

lindique
06-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Quite a few stores now sell travel size tubes of sunscreen now - due to the TSA regulations. They are fairly easy to find. Some manufacturers are also including a small tube as an attachment to the larger bottle. I've seen them at Target, Harmon, and others. I would suggest getting a travel size tube or two - they're also very handy to bring along to the park so you can re-apply the sunscreen after lunch.

Disney Doll
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
In your DME materials, Disney says to expect your DME bags within about 3 hours of the time you check-in to your resort (3 hours from resort check-in, NOT 3 hours from airplane landing).

Yep. Sometimes we get it earlier, but often it takes a full 3 hours and on occasion even longer. Take what you need for the 1st day in your carry on. Check out the travel sized section at Target and you'll probably find some small sunscreens. They have everything in travel sizes these days.

EmmMOM2
06-15-2009, 03:31 PM
What if you are coming in at night?
Should we go to bed and hope it's at the front desk in the morning so we can start our day?
Or should we just pickup our own luggage and take it to the ME bus.

BMan62
06-15-2009, 03:33 PM
What if you are coming in at night?
Should we go to bed and hope it's at the front desk in the morning so we can start our day?
Or should we just pickup our own luggage and take it to the ME bus.

If you are arriving after 10pm, you must get your own luggage from baggage claim. Prior to that, you can have it delivered by DME or leave the yellow tags off and get it from baggage claim.

Belster
06-15-2009, 03:34 PM
We usually do not put the ME yellow tags on our luggage and retrieve it ourselves at the airport...this way we can have all of our things right away.

Hope this helps!!!

SallyMcQueen
06-15-2009, 04:44 PM
When we went back in December and arrived at MCO around noon, got to CBR around 1pm and got some of our luggage by 4pm. The rest arrived while we were out at MK. I had read before going that it can take some time to get your luggage and just packed everything I could think of that we might need in the first few hours into all of our carry ons including travel size suncreen etc figuring that would be good enough until the rest of the luggage arrived. Let me tell you, coming from Wisconsin to Florida in December meant that all of our bags were crammed with complete changes of clothes etc.

For me though, the hassle of not having to lug around my suitcases was worth every minute of the wait. Hope this helps.

disneyfamily05
06-15-2009, 05:01 PM
We just returned (this morning) from a trip and used ME both ways.

Our plane arrived at MCO around 8:15 pm. By the time the kids and I made our way to ME (w/ restroom stops), got in line (had a short maybe 15 minute wait), we had 2 stops prior to CSR, checked in and found our way to our room (uh.. we got a little lost :blush:) it was around 10:00 or so. We went out to eat at the Pepper Market, stopped at the playground, walked some of the energy off and made it back to our room close to midnight. Our bags were there when we walked in.

KAT1811
06-15-2009, 05:37 PM
I looked at Target today (specifically because of this thread) and they had 1 oz. bottles of sunscreen in the travel size section. I also saw a bottle of baby lotion 30+ spf that had a 2oz. bottle attached (like a puzzle piece) to the full size bottle.

thumperbug
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
I've seen sunscreen wipes individually wrapped that I always throw in my carry on. We have never had a problem with DME. We always pack in our carry on any item we could not live without if our bags got lost. We pack in the carry on what we need for the day with a change of clothes and pj's...just in case.

Unless you need all your travel sized everythings for the first day, don't bother with them in your carry on. Most travel sized items can be purchased all over wdw and the hotels.

cmshelton1979
06-17-2009, 09:29 AM
I was there May 16-24 (still need to do my trip report). We arrived about 10:30am and it took us about a half hour to get on the ME and we arrived at POP around noon and it was at least 3 hours before our luggage arrived.

My wife packed a carry on that had all of our swimsuits and some sun screen. I would recommend packing a bag that will have everything you will need for the next 12 hours after you check in (if possible).

CleveRocks
06-17-2009, 04:24 PM
My wife packed a carry on that had all of our swimsuits and some sun screen. I would recommend packing a bag that will have everything you will need for the next 12 hours after you check in (if possible).Absolutely!

Disney itself recommends this to all its guests, in the DME materials that are mailed out.

TheRustyScupper
06-17-2009, 05:18 PM
. . . I'm curious as to how long it took your luggage to arrive in your room.

1) OK, this is real life.
2) Most of the daylight hours, figure 1½-2 hours.
3) DME says it can take up to 3 hours in early evening.
4) However, I have personally seen 4-5 hours.
5) If arriving after 9:0pm, it could be in the morning.
6) Just use your carry-on as a backup measure.
7) You will be fine.

NOTE: There are more handlers and truck drivers during the daytime than on 2nd shift, due to flight frequencies. Plus, most resorts have more room DME delivery people on days.

nicster
06-17-2009, 05:36 PM
We are used to doing this arrangement due to cruising quite often. However, the first time we used DME we put everything we needed for the next 12ish hours into our carry-on, except our poncho's... and it rained that afternoon. Not to say we couldn't buy some additional poncho's, but I thought we were so well prepared:blush:... FYI