PDA

View Full Version : A Plee to those Misting Fans Users

Disney_Barbie
06-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I would like to make a plee to everyone out there. I'm sure 99.9% of you are consiterate enough to already avoid doing this, but I wonder if perhaps a few just don't realize that this is an annoyance to others, so just incase I'd like to put the word out there.
My BIGGEST disney Pet Peeve is those misting fans. I'm sure many believe they are live savers, and to each his own. But personally I hate them. I guess I'm just not sensitve to heat or something, but I'm rarely hot in WDW. I'm only hot when we're there in mid-day in the middle of the summer, but even then, I do not find it cooling or refreshing to get squired with warm mist, in fact I hate the idea.
SO many people are not carefull when "misting" themselves, in the middle of a crowded area or in a line, people often begin misting themselves with no regard to whether the people around/behind them also desire to be misted! I'm sure (most people) are not trying to be rude or inconsiterate, just simply don't realize that it's NOT something that everyone wants! Honestly, I guess I find it as annoying as if I was walking down the street and someone squired me with a garden hose!
I know you're hot, and as I said, if the fans enhace your park experince by cooling you down, more power to you. BUT PLEASE REMEMBER TO BE CAREFULL WITH YOUR AIM! Thanks :mickey:

DANAM
06-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I agree with you. I have never had an experience where someone with a mister has misted me but I do not care for the misting. I feel like it adds to the humidity. For whatever reason I think the mister makes me hotter insteed of cooler. Although, I love the personal battery powered fans with no mist. Anyone with one of these feel free to fan me down.

5togetherWDW
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I have not had a problem with mist, but both my son and my mother have. For my Mom it is particularly complicated.
My mother travels in a wheelchair -- placing her head at typical misting level. As she has both hearing aids and drainage tubes in her ear -- she is not supposed to get them wet, at all. My mother always feels uncomfortable saying anything -- as many people intentionally "share" and mean it as a kindness. She finds that on hot days, she often needs to ride with a hand over her ears -- as misting is so common, both accidental and in attempts of generosity.

MNNHFLTX
06-12-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree. I have stood in many a line at WDW, feeling like I must be standing in the fog on the Golden Gate Bridge with all the mist blowing over me. Kids seem to have a bit of a penchant for sharing their misting fans with those around them, so parents might need to keep an eye out for that. :mickey:

SBETigg
06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I love getting accidentally misted by someone with a misting fan. I don't buy them, but when I get an unintended mist from others, I think it's lovely. But I see your point that not everyone is going to agree and be thrilled with it, and people should definitely be aware of others in their mist, um, midst. :blush:

medic9016
06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Do you say something to the CM that will spray you when you walk by the cart that they are selling from? I have no problem with it at all. I find the people talking or texting on the cell phone and walking into me a bigger problem.

GothMickey
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Bring on the misting. I find people stopping mid-row and plopping themselves down in the middle of the row instead of going to the end of the row more annoying than an accidental mist.

KAJUNKING
06-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Do you say something to the CM that will spray you when you walk by the cart that they are selling from? I have no problem with it at all. I find the people talking or texting on the cell phone and walking into me a bigger problem.

Bring on the misting. I find people stopping mid-row and plopping themselves down in the middle of the row instead of going to the end of the row more annoying than an accidental mist.

agree! on both points

figgie
06-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I have no problem with an accidentaql misting, it feels good and in the Fla. heat, you dry immediately. There is not enough water in mist to bother hearing aids, Grandpa Leon has one and uses it often and hasn't had any problems with his hearing aids. When you put yourself in a crowd, there will always be something others due that might be a bother but you can't control everything.

Do you have a problem with the squirts of water in Philharmagic, It's Tough To Be A Bug or even getting squirts from Aladin's Flying Carpet as well? And what about the afternoon rain showers that Florida is known for? I agree there are so many other anoying things in the world, you can't avoid everything. If this bothers you, keep an eye out when you get in a line and let a few people get infront of you and who you see with a mister. The only way to avoid all inconveniences is to never leave home.

I'd rather go to Disney!

Goofeygal
06-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I love it when I get accidently missted. I think it is a hoot.:mickey:

Aurora
06-12-2009, 01:22 PM
I would like to make a plee to everyone out there. I'm sure 99.9% of you are consiterate enough to already avoid doing this, but I wonder if perhaps a few just don't realize that this is an annoyance to others, so just incase I'd like to put the word out there.
My BIGGEST disney Pet Peeve is those misting fans. I'm sure many believe they are live savers, and to each his own. But personally I hate them. I guess I'm just not sensitve to heat or something, but I'm rarely hot in WDW. I'm only hot when we're there in mid-day in the middle of the summer, but even then, I do not find it cooling or refreshing to get squired with warm mist, in fact I hate the idea.
SO many people are not carefull when "misting" themselves, in the middle of a crowded area or in a line, people often begin misting themselves with no regard to whether the people around/behind them also desire to be misted! I'm sure (most people) are not trying to be rude or inconsiterate, just simply don't realize that it's NOT something that everyone wants! Honestly, I guess I find it as annoying as if I was walking down the street and someone squired me with a garden hose!
I know you're hot, and as I said, if the fans enhace your park experince by cooling you down, more power to you. BUT PLEASE REMEMBER TO BE CAREFULL WITH YOUR AIM! Thanks :mickey:

I understand your frustration, and it certainly will make me let my kids know to be more careful and look around them before they mist. But I kindly would like to add a "but."

It's a crowded theme park, with lots of people, water splashing, screaming, etc. In the summer it rains about every day. There's fog outside and inside some attractions. Disney World is a wet place.

I'm really not trying argue but just to put things in perspective. Trying to avoid moisture at Disney World is like trying to avoid images of Mickey. :D

EeyoresBestFriend
06-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I think the OP is just asking for others to be respectful /considerate of others around them ~ not complaining.
I agree with her actually ~ if I wanted to be misted I'd buy one. It's not a major issue with me until I am being intentionally soaked by someone's child who thinks its funny. :mad: And yes ~ it happens more than one may think.
I'll just add my :twocents:, please be considerate of others, and be mindful that your munchkins are doing the same.

thrillme
06-12-2009, 02:12 PM
I'll never forget when my DS was 6/7 and at Disney for the first time experiencing his FIRST 3-D movie (Honey I Shrunk the Audience). Everything was going well till the "mice" tickled his leg and the cat turned into a lion. At that point EVERYONE was screaming all around me, it was dark...but I noticed people in front of me turning around.

I looked behind me and saw nothing...

I looked to the side of me and I saw my DS...Scrunched up in his seat screaming and ineffectively firing his "mister" at the "lion"...ACK:blush:

Of course I grabbed the mister away.

I apologized to the people in front as soon at the lights came back on. Fortunately they took it with a smile.

We really don't carry misters much anymore.

kakn7294
06-12-2009, 03:35 PM
I fully understand the OP's point. I don't necessarily mind a bit of accidental misting myself but not everyone feels the same. I don't think it's meant to be a complaint, just a plea to be more careful. I too have ended up with a wet bottom from more than one ambitious little squirt(er) and I hate when my glasses take the brunt of the mist (whether that happens by misting fan, water ride, or rainfall) and I have to clean them repeatedly.

beksy
06-12-2009, 03:48 PM
I'll never forget when my DS was 6/7 and at Disney for the first time experiencing his FIRST 3-D movie (Honey I Shrunk the Audience). Everything was going well till the "mice" tickled his leg and the cat turned into a lion. At that point EVERYONE was screaming all around me, it was dark...but I noticed people in front of me turning around.

I looked to the side of me and I saw my DS...Scrunched up in his seat screaming and ineffectively firing his "mister" at the "lion"...ACK:blush:

I apologized to the people in front as soon at the lights came back on. Fortunately they took it with a smile.

That is so funny! I can see it in my mind perfectly with the little boy trying to battle the big cat with his only available weapon--water! This has been a rough day so thanks for the laugh. :funny: :simba:

Seasonscraps
06-12-2009, 03:53 PM
I love getting accidentally misted by someone with a misting fan. I don't buy them, but when I get an unintended mist from others, I think it's lovely. But I see your point that not everyone is going to agree and be thrilled with it, and people should definitely be aware of others in their mist, um, midst. :blush:

very cute! :)

I don't mind an occasional mist but people in general should be aware of how their actions effect others.

Dream'nDisney
06-12-2009, 05:09 PM
We use ours all the time, and they are lifesavers. We have never had anyone give us dirty looks while using them, only people trying to get in the way of them. LOL However, we will make sure we are conscientious of our aim. :thumbsup:

civilmousefan
06-12-2009, 05:13 PM
This is one I am guilty of. Sometimes when I have the misting bottle, and am in a line, I will make a sneezing noise and at the same time squeeze the misting trigger - misting the neck of the person in front of me. When they turn around and realize that they have not been sneezed on, they are relieved that they have been misted. Generally, they don't seem to annoyed by this very childish prank - but after reading these posts, I may never do it again.

Disney Doll
06-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Good reminder. I don't usually go in the warm months, but I have a Sept trip planned and since I am pregnant I have been looking for anything I can to stay cool. I have a mister fan that I've never used and I'm prepared to break it out in September. I will watch my aim. :mickey:

VolMickey
06-12-2009, 05:53 PM
To each his own, as they say. I don't understand how some folks just don't sweat. Weird.

iheartdisney
06-12-2009, 07:33 PM
I love it when I get accidently missted. I think it is a hoot.:mickey:

Me too!

DizneyFreak2002
06-12-2009, 07:36 PM
The accidental misting doesn't bother me... What bothers me is when parents allow their kids to relieve themselves out in the open, into the bushes, and it sprays lol... A few years ago, I was standing around waiting for the Jammin Jungle Parade to start.. it was July so it was very hot... teh sweat was pouring off me.. A CM at a merchandise stand decided to have a little fun and squited mist at me... It felt GOOD!!!! Then, he started squirting mist as people walking by.. teh cool mist hit them and they all laughed.. Everyone was having a good time with it..

g8rgirl29
06-12-2009, 08:28 PM

This is one I am guilty of. Sometimes when I have the misting bottle, and am in a line, I will make a sneezing noise and at the same time squeeze the misting trigger - misting the neck of the person in front of me. When they turn around and realize that they have not been sneezed on, they are relieved that they have been misted. Generally, they don't seem to annoyed by this very childish prank - but after reading these posts, I may never do it again.

:rotfl: These are just too funny!!! :funny:

mickey&missy
06-12-2009, 08:39 PM
We've never been when it was hot enough to need a mister fan, thank god. But, I thought some of the large fans you see on the ceilings in the outside queue lines gave a mist too. I could be wrong.

I would want to be acidentally misted either!

CU Tiger
06-12-2009, 09:45 PM
My DDs are the ones that use our misters and I have to make sure they are respectful not to accidently hit other people with it. Some like it and some don’t. We enjoy them when we have control of the sprayers.:mickey:

Ryan Towle
06-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm not really understanding what your complaint is about. You're upset about accidentally coming into contact with tiny molecules of water in the heat of the state of Florida?

magicofdisney
06-12-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm not particularly crazy about "accidental mistings" from water bottles (look, another new phrase from Intercot :number1:), especially if the kids been slobbering all over the barrel in between shots. But what really bothers me is the accidental misting from sunblock. Like I really need that stuff slathered on my glasses!

crltkcagle
06-13-2009, 02:19 PM
They can be lifesavers to us on a very hot day. So we do mist but we cautiously mist.

Ian
06-13-2009, 02:21 PM
If the worst thing that happens to me when I'm on vacation is that a small child is having fun playing with his or her misting fan and I accidentally get a couple drops of water on me, I'll consider that a good day.

And that's all I've got to say about that. :secret:

merlinmagic4
06-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I personally love an accidental misting every once in a while :D It's kind of a treat! I do ask my children to try and be courteous of others while misting, though!

CaptSmee
06-13-2009, 03:15 PM
I personally don't think a little mist of water is going to hurt anyone

kakn7294
06-13-2009, 03:52 PM
While I agree that a little water never hurts anyone, why should anyone have to ask for the common courtesy of keeping your misting spray to yourself and not spraying everyone in your vicinity? It's just being polite to not spray everyone around you. Just as some of us don't like second-hand smoke or the smell of someone's perfume / cologne / body odor, some don't like getting sprayed. All the OP asked is for people to be more careful and courteous.

MNNHFLTX
06-13-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm not really understanding what your complaint is about. You're upset about accidentally coming into contact with tiny molecules of water in the heat of the state of Florida?I don't see anyone complaining as much as just making others aware of something they may not have thought of. I think a lot of people assume that everyone enjoys being misted because they do, but that may not be the case. Everyone has their own unique set of likes and dislikes. Like Kathy said, we should all be courteous of each and not make an assumption.

mouseketeer mom
06-13-2009, 09:49 PM
How often is this "accidental misting" happening to you? That much?? Don't sweat the small stuff!

TheRustyScupper
06-14-2009, 07:39 AM
1) I am not sure how one would control the mist.
2) There is always over spray.
3) Maybe if the bottles came in different head sizes.
. . . you could have a 5" spray for a kid's heads
. . . you could have a 7" spray for an adult's heads
. . . you could have a 12" spray for important people's heads
. . . you could have a 24" spray for Ogre's (I mean Iger's) head

stephntampa
06-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Kinda hard not to mist others when standing in long hot lines.. and I'm not sure how you don't sweat in 90 degree/100 percent humidity!

JenniferS.
06-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Personally, I love getting an accidental misting. It's always so hot and when I walk by people that are spraying themselves, I always hope I will get some on me. I do agree though that people should be careful of their aim because not everyone wants to get sprayed. I am surprised that the CM's do this to people walking by. I wonder how many people get mad.

Ian
06-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Kinda hard not to mist others when standing in long hot lines.. That was pretty much my thought, as well.

If one wants to be completely free from offense and even the most minor of inconveniences, one should probably not put themselves smack dab in the middle of 50,000 complete strangers from all around the globe.

Daddy Mouse
06-14-2009, 09:11 AM
I would like to make a plee to everyone out there. I'm sure 99.9% of you are consiterate enough to already avoid doing this, but I wonder if perhaps a few just don't realize that this is an annoyance to others, so just incase I'd like to put the word out there. .....
BUT PLEASE REMEMBER TO BE CAREFULL WITH YOUR AIM! Thanks :mickey:

DON'T MIST THEM, MIST ME, MIST ME:D:D

Bethis26fan
06-14-2009, 09:22 AM

lol it I would have been the people in front of you I would have died laughing. Your poor little son but oh my that's funny.

Seasonscraps
06-14-2009, 04:00 PM

That's really funny!! LOL

But I am kind of surprised that someone suggesting that people show some consideration to those around them is getting a bit of a hard time. The OP is just pointing out that while the intentions to mist people are good, the result may not be pleasant.

Mousemates
06-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Second hand mist is an obvious health hazard that must be curtailed. I suggest a full slate of anti-misting laws be passed in the next session of the Disney House of Representatives and then funded for strict enforcement. :mickey:

motherof4
06-14-2009, 06:52 PM
I carry my own misting fan but try not to spray others but if I accidently get sprayed I really don't mind it.

Disney Yankee
06-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Sometimes I PLEAD with folks to spray me!

Mist me baby! :thumbsup:

SpecJoe Magic
06-16-2009, 12:02 AM
While we were in line for the Jungle Cruise last week, a kid sprayed me with a misting fan, and his mom told him not to do that. However, it felt good to me since it was hot, so I told them that I enjoyed it and to go ahead and spray me more. The mom actually appreciated that I had given her kid permission to spray me. In that case, being sprayed was a welcome, brief relief from the heat of the day, but I understand how it can be annoying in some situations.

brownie
06-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Even if you're careful, the breeze can carry the mist away from its intended target. It doesn't bother me, but I think it's just something extra you need to carry that you can really do without.

lightyearfan
06-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Well me and dw use this thing called Misty Mate, and we are suprised on how little of them that we see, for us it's a godsend, and we wouldn't travel to FL without it. we're also careful when we mist as not to bother others around us, but if someone accidentally gets missed they tend to enjoy it and ask if we can mist them as well :mickey:,

Victor

Imagineer1981
06-16-2009, 11:57 AM

I don't like when the CMs bounce giant balls at you either. I almost tripped

Disney_Barbie
06-19-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't see anyone complaining as much as just making others aware of something they may not have thought of
THANK YOU! I'm not saying it ruins my trip or that it's the worst thing in the world, I'm just saying people might want to be aware. I would want to know if I was doing something that I genuinely thought was helpfull and that people enjoyed when in reality there was many that were actually irritated by it. And as you can see from the thread, it seems like it's more than just me that does not enjoy this.

I feel like it adds to the humidity. For whatever reason I think the mister makes me hotter insteed of cooler.
I agree entirely, for whatever reason, I do not find it cools me down. Haha, actually isn't that the phyilosophy about watering plants, you're not supost to water them in the mid-day cause the water just attracts more sunlight to them (thus overheating them in the longrun) Hmmm, maybe I'm a plant...

Along with finding them to be a temp discomfort, I also (As an other poster mentioned) am grossed out when occationally, you see kids drinking from them or sticking their fingers in the bottle, then squirting the mist in my direction.

And along with the above mentioned reasons for not liking them, I also just don't like getting wet (yes, even if it's just the slightest mist). Many posts made that seem like an impossibility, but it's really not. I don't ride Kalli river rapids, I wear a poncho on Splash Mt, I know the parks well enough to know/avoid things like the "camel spit" or the water shooting out in front of splash, and I purposely walk around them. I carry an mini-umbrella or poncho in case of afternoon showers. And I guess I just don't sweat much, even when we're there in daytime in the dead of summer, since we're going in & out of the AC in rides and stuff is enough to keep me dry all day long. I leave WDW without getting wet probably at least 75-80 % of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's I'd cause a fuss (like be rude to the "misters") or let it ruin my day when I get accidentally misted, I'm just saying that FYI : some strangers would prefer to be asked before misted.

PrincessJadesMom
06-19-2009, 03:32 PM
I'd like to have someone follow me around the parks and mist me!:minnie:

mrsgaribaldi
06-20-2009, 03:15 AM
:D:D:rotfl::funny:I love it!!!

Belster
06-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Wow, I must be more tolerant of things...I am sorry but I would never let something like this bother me when I am in such a great place.

Sorry do not agree!

badkitty
06-22-2009, 12:12 AM
But what really bothers me is the accidental misting from sunblock. Like I really need that stuff slathered on my glasses!

I know! What is up with that? I have been "hit" several times with stray sunblock. Are people just so unaware? Once on a very windy day a woman was spraying herself and her loved ones with sunblock. She was totally oblivious to the fact that she was hitting me in the face and several others "down stream". Yikes.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Personally, I love getting an accidental misting. It's always so hot and when I walk by people that are spraying themselves, I always hope I will get some on me. I do agree though that people should be careful of their aim because not everyone wants to get sprayed. I am surprised that the CM's do this to people walking by. I wonder how many people get mad.

I agree with most of your post, and always carry my little mister. DD, on the other hand, would just as soon not get sprayed. Personally I love the surprise of the CM misters. One more magical smile from the World.:mickey:

casey@bat
06-23-2009, 08:19 AM
What about spraying my camera or cell phone? This happened several times last week to me.

I keep them in a zipper baggie on rides so they won't get wet. I am expecting the spray in MPhilharmagic, etc. But there was a little girl who was sitting by me at the PM parade at MK. I had my camera out and she started spraying her mister. I had to dodge the spray so my camera wouldn't get wet. Then she started spraying my DD5 (close range) with out asking her. My DD5 doesn't like to get her clothes wet. We have to change after every wet ride, or she wears her swim suit for the ride and then changes back. This girl's mom should have taken her mister away from her.

Before the daytime parade in front of the castle my camera got sprayed again. We got there early for good seats. A cast member selling the misters sprayed one the whole time she stood there. I couldn't even take any pics of my DD.

When my older two kids joined me I warned them about "accidental misting."

I have never noticed this before. I think it my be because it was soooooooooo crowded!

DVC2004
06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
When my son was very young he had one (Grandma came with and was buying him all sorts of stuff). We were standing in line a BTMRR, you know the part where it slopes down when you are almost at the ride? A man in front of us turned around to talk to us and because of the slope he was standing a little lower than us. I was mortified that my son turned to him and squirted him right in the face!!! OMG. I apologized profusely and he was very cool about it- but needless to say that was the last misting fan we ever owned.

Gator
06-24-2009, 08:09 PM
I wear glasses, so I hate ANY liquid getting on my glasses. However, if I didn't wear glasses, I'd be begging for some mist in the middle off the summer.