PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle it when you have to postpone Disney?

Gregandmel
06-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Ugh -

We've had about $8000 worth of expenses come up the past 6 months - the latest being our a/c going out. We have planned an April/May trip in 2010 which we've been "TRYING" to save for, but with this latest expense, we will have to postpone. I hate being responsible. :mad: I am so torn about saying "To heck with it - we're GOING" because I believe in the old saying about "tomorrow is promised to no one". My younger son is 9, and he may be 11 before we head back. We went back in October and I caught the Disney bug in a BIG BAD WAY. I just hate having to WAIT so dang long before we'll have the funds to go again. What do you do when you have to postpone? How do you pass the time??? I need a drink. :marg:

Faver
06-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry to hear that...I know how it can be! Postponing a WDW trip is a terrible feeling. I've postponed other trips and never felt as bad as WDW!!! I guess because we truly love it so much!

We had to postpone a trip years ago. I had my husband take all my disney planning books, brochures, and put it away, in a place that only he would know. It was torture to see all the planning and fun just disappear...the idea actually worked quite well. When we were finally able to go, he gave everything back to me.

keep your chin up :thumbsup: Besides, something may change in the next few months. You never know!!

It'sWDW4me
06-11-2009, 03:33 PM
I cry, pout, whine, scheme, dream - of what I'll do next time I'm there as well as of winning the lottery :mickey:, get ticked because it's just not fair! :), cry some more, crunch some numbers, cry some more :blush:, accept the situation and then stay glued to Intercot!

I know how you feel. I became an addict a few years ago and was so very lucky to be able to be in my happy place in 2006, 2007, and 2008! :cloud9: Unfortunately, this economy is hitting me hard and I'm trying to do the responsible thing (grr - oh, if only I could be totally irresponsible!) and get some bills paid down before I plan another trip.

BluewaterBrad
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I am a Disney Addict. I cant postpone. Yes, some card balances are high!!:cool::mickey:

meldan98
06-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Has a 12 step program for Disney been developed yet? I swear, sometimes I need one.

Gregandmel
06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
The more I think about NOT going, the more OBSESSED WITH GOING I become. :fit: Yes - a 12 step program needs to be developed. I thought if I put all my Disney stuff away, and stayed off Intercot, I could focus on other things, like - watching paint dry or something. Lasted about 10 hours. My son was 8 when he went and I think about him being a pre-teen at 11 or 12 if I postpone realistically and NOW I'm OBSESSED with the thought of him being hormonal and mouthy at that age and kicking myself for not going when he was 10 - such a GREAT age. Sigh.... :blowup:

mouseketeer mom
06-12-2009, 06:47 AM
We've postponed a Disney trip twice. Once was for my eldest daughters BD..we just couldn't pull it off. THAT was tough. I hated to disappoint her. The second was this past Thanksgiving. Flights were almost as much as the trip itself. We just could not justify that. Its tough in the beginning, but I actually felt a sense of relief once the decision was made, knowing we did the right thing.

DANAM
06-12-2009, 12:23 PM
We have just decieded to by a new home. We have a great trip planned for December. We are staying at Value but planned for 11 days and deluxe dining. We have deceided that if we need to cut down the deluxe dining paln turns to a regular and then we start cutting days but I can't imagine cutting the trip completly.

MickeyMousse
06-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I am a Disney Addict. I cant postpone. Yes, some card balances are high!!:cool::mickey:

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one!!! :mickey:

scooterca42
06-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I've gone as far as actually booking, but had to cancel for one reason or another. I do most of the planning and budgeting in my family, and I generally have a good idea of how possible a trip will be, but I hadn't told DH that time that it had been booked and we were still more than 45 days out so I was the only one who had to deal with the disappointment :( .

It was annoying, but necessary. What I did do was start pre-planning for the next trip. Knowing we go in Sept almost exclusively, I started researching table service restaurants and such. It helped!

Hull-onian
06-12-2009, 06:31 PM
:drama: :crying: :cry: