PDA

View Full Version : What are some fun inexpensive things to do at Disney if your not going to the parks!

tlhewitt52
06-11-2009, 11:06 AM
My family has been to disney multiple times (6)and we just brcame DVC members. We decided to take a trip in August and do the things in Disney but not go into the parks. We know there are always simple things we miss outside of the parks.....Any ideas or suggestions would be useful!! Were staying at Saratoga Springs!

tink'72
06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Welcome Home! We just stayed in April as first time DVC members and loved it! I know this is kinda a no brainer but our favorite thing to do not in the parks is just to totally enjoy the resort you are you staying out. That is a vacation into itself!

BelleCiavo
06-11-2009, 11:20 AM
We went to the Campfire Movie Sing-a-long at Fort Wilderness and had a great time. Free, but you could purchase smore kits if you like.

slegrant
06-11-2009, 11:32 AM
:mickey:There are tons of activities to do at the resorts. My family and I are going to WDW over the 4th of July for 6 days and we probably won't go into the parks. We are staying at Fort Wilderness and we wanted this trip to be relaxing and fun and not rushed. We plan on swimming tons, going to the campfire sing a long, walking the wilderness trail over to the Wilderness Lodge and explore there. We also plan on riding every color monorail (12 year olds favorite thing to do) we will explore the other resorts, rent water sprites at the marina, go canoeing over at Fort Wilderness and we will go to downtown Disney and really take our time exploring there as well.. One of our favorite things to do is to go over to the Grand Floridian get a pizza at Gaspirilla Grill and take it to the beach and eat while over looking seven seas lagoon. And as far as the evening goes watch the electrical water parade on Bay Lake or Seven Seas Lagoon, you can see it from any of the Magic Kingdom resorts between 8:30 and 9:45 pm. I think you will really appreciate all that WDW is on your trip. Have fun

afowl1017
06-11-2009, 11:35 AM
My kids loved the mini golf courses at Disney , walking on the Board Walk (at night there is lots of free entertainment and can even catch a few fire works from EPCOT), and we also love the FREE campfire movies at Fort Wilderness! I also must agree with the DVC owner, Tink, the resorts them selves are a complete vacation. What ever you do have a safe and fun trip!

faline
06-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Rent bicycles.
Visit the horses in their barn in Fort Wilderness.
Go to one (or more) of the movies offered in the evenings.
Visit Boardwalk.
Visit Downtown Disney.
Swim in the pool at your resort.
Rent a float boat.
View the Electrical Water Pageant.
Do a tour of the resorts.

AuntKari
06-11-2009, 08:16 PM
This is a verty helpful post. Linda (aka Faline) what is a float boat (do they have another name?) and which resorts can you get them at? And slegrant what are water sprites (do they have another name?) and which resorts can you get them at? Thank you! Kari

faline
06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Float boats don't travel very quickly but are very safe. They're sort of like a large raft with big barrels underneath. They have a very flat deck that allows you quite a bit of room for walking around, are practically unsinkable, but provide a very comfortable space for touring.

iheartdisney
06-11-2009, 09:20 PM
My boys love the monorail and one of our favorite things to do is take the bus to Magic Kingdom but hop on the monorail that takes you to the resorts. We get off at each stop, take a look around the resort, browse the gift shops, maybe get a snack or sometimes plan a sit down meal and then hop on the monorail and take a look at the next resort. This is one of our favorite things to do around the holidays, too, if you're ever there during Christmas.