PDA

View Full Version : where to get ponchos that will hold up?

LoriSan
06-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Planning to pick up poncho to take with us. The last ones we used were Dollar Store ones, and they were Dollar Store quality.

Tick-Tock
06-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Actually, the Disney ones are great. I'm still using the poncho I got at DL in 2003.

KylesMom
06-10-2009, 04:00 PM
We purchased ours at the MK - we weren't expecting rain on our first day, so we left the ponchos we brought with in the room.

Surprisingly, all three lasted for 15 days (yes, we used them every day of our trip last year) - and we're taking one of them back this year. We'll be buying two more - they were well worth it! The cost was $8 each. While I can appreciate the $1 throwaways, we would have spent a small fortune last year keeping supplied with them!

Spartan_Jeff
06-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Before out last trip, we bought some pretty good ponchos at Dick's Sporting goods for around 4-5 bucks a piece.

tink179
06-10-2009, 04:37 PM
We got some from Wal-Mart. A 99 cent clear plastic one for a stroller then some blue, green, and red ones that I think were right around $4. We've used the same ones that last couple of years and will be taking them again in September. Haven't had a problem with them.

cer
06-10-2009, 05:22 PM
If you get one from Disney, if it rips or tears, you can take it to the cashier and they will exchange it for you.

We use the cheapies for the wet rides and then just toss them or gift them and the Disney ones for long-term rain...

jcvalenti
06-10-2009, 05:54 PM
The Disney ponchos are decent quality, but terrible if you happen to be tall (like me). They barely got past my butt, meaning in a decent shower (of which there are many during the summer), my whole lower half would get drenched.

Another problem with them is that roughly 85% of the crowd is wearing them, which makes spotting your "group" a little tough at times.

We usually go to Dick's Sporting Goods or Target and find taller, higher quality colored ponchos in the $4 - 6 range. You can usually get them in a variety of colors. Look in the camping / outdoors section.

Madame Leona
06-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I go to the Totes outlet and have gotten them for as little as 2.99. We never bring them back with us because I'm always afraid they will get mildewy.

BluewaterBrad
06-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Bass Pro Shop :mickey:

peemagg
06-10-2009, 06:42 PM
We picked up 7 from Harbor Freight for around 79 cents each. We have now used them for 5 trips to Disney and at various events around home. They have held up well. We just hang them up to dry and they have never mildewed.

Disney Doll
06-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I think ours came from Target. Just the $4 ones not the heavy duty ones, but they have lasted several trips so far.

PixieMagic
06-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Actually, the Disney ones are great. I'm still using the poncho I got at DL in 2003.

I agree completely! I have been using the same Disney Poncho for over ten years!!! They are amazing!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-11-2009, 09:24 PM
If you get one from Disney, if it rips or tears, you can take it to the cashier and they will exchange it for you.

We use the cheapies for the wet rides and then just toss them or gift them and the Disney ones for long-term rain...

I did not know this! We brought the (2/$1.00) ones from the Dollar Store. DD had "a bunch in her suitcase", so she threw her first one out when it got a little messed up the first day. To her surprise, all the rest were KID ones! Whoops! We bought a Disney one, which ripped the first day she wore it, and she fought with it the whole time. We went a couple of weeks ago and it rained at least once daily the whole time! My little .50 poncho made it the whole way!
We looked for wet little ones to give the others away to, and that was fun. Several grateful smiles...:rain: :rain: :rain:

iheartdisney
06-11-2009, 09:26 PM

I wish I had known this on our last trip! Our poor DS5 had his tied and patched as best I could for the last few days of our trip because I didn't want to buy another one for him.

I go to the Totes outlet and have gotten them for as little as 2.99. We never bring them back with us because I'm always afraid they will get mildewy.

I've never had a problem with mildew with our Disney ponchos.

I agree completely! I have been using the same Disney Poncho for over ten years!!! They are amazing!

We have some from that far back as well. I just wish I would remember to bring them with us instead of having to buy more. I'll bet we have about 30 Disney Ponchos in our travel stash!

Pooshu11
06-11-2009, 10:48 PM
The Disney Ponchos are pretty good but I always hated that my thighs, legs and sometimes rear gets wet. I've always admired the rain 2 piece ensemble that the castmates wear, especially the pants. I wonder if that's on sale anywhere in DW? :mickey:

where_else
06-12-2009, 07:29 AM
I purchased Coleman ponchos in the camping section of Target for 98 cents each. We actually have been carrying around the same ponchos for the last 5 trips...never used them, still in the packages. This May was different! They held up great. We saw people walking around with disney ponchos that were torn around the neck and hood. I would hate to spend 5 or 6 times more for something that tears that easily :(.

TheRustyScupper
06-12-2009, 07:32 AM
The Army has great ponchos
. . . they hold up in the rain
. . . are pretty well water proof
. . . are tough to tear or destroy

jcvalenti
06-12-2009, 08:23 AM
The Army has great ponchos
. . . they hold up in the rain
. . . are pretty well water proof
. . . are tough to tear or destroy

Plus they're camoflage ... so no one can see you when you wear them ! :)

SheLovesDisney
06-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Target has a few different kinds of ponchos ranging from 98 cents (Coleman) to $15-20 (Eddie Bauer). You can check out the different levels of quality and go from there...

thumperbug
06-14-2009, 10:17 AM
We got coleman ones from Target for about $4. They are sturdier by far then dollar store ones and they come in a mesh storage pouch. They have different sizes and colors.

We invested $8 for a stroller cover that also has its own pouch. Worth every penny to keep the stroller and the child dry