PDA

View Full Version : Taxis

wendybird
06-09-2009, 04:17 PM
My husband and I always use Disney Transportation, but do like to take taxis a few times during our stay to go from resort to resort for dining and such. This next visit we are brining our 3 year old son for the first time. Will he be able to ride in a taxi with us (we will not be lugging our car seat around the World)?

BluewaterBrad
06-09-2009, 04:33 PM
I dont see why not.:mickey:

Beast_fanatic
06-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Florida law requires children under 5 years of age to be properly restrained no matter where they are seated in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier (child safety seat) or in a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children ages 4 - 5, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. If a safety belt does not fit the child correctly, a booster set should be used to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats (generally at about 40 pounds and 4 years old). Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and under 4'9" in height should ride in a booster seat.

yellen97
06-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Typical car seat laws usually don't apply in cabs. in New York City parents schlep kids in cabs all the time. When we went to WDW when dd was 2.5 we had to cab it back to Poly from Boardwalk. She had already fallen asleep in her stroller. I held her in my arms.

Is it the safest thing in the world? no. but sometimes you just have to do it. they are not in car seats on the buses either and they can get hurt just the same in the event of an accident.

TheRustyScupper
06-10-2009, 07:55 AM
1) Florida Law (316.613) says all vehicles.
2) Only exceptions are buses, farm tractors, big trucks, motorcycles.
3) The cab MIGHT take you without a seat.
4) But, he risks a fine and 3-pts on his license.

Mickey'sGirl
06-10-2009, 08:32 AM
We purchased a little booster seat that we keep in its box, and bring it around with us when we travel. We just check it in with our other baggage at the airport, and haven't been charged to do so. :thumbsup:

Tick-Tock
06-10-2009, 12:56 PM
You can try calling to get a cab with a car seat. But they aren't always available. Our friends ended up taking Disney transport after unsuccessfully trying (for quite awhile) to get a cab with a car seat at Ft. Wilderness.

Mammabruski
06-10-2009, 07:24 PM
When we were at WDW just a couple weeks ago, we took a taxi a number of times with my DD who is 2. We had no problems finding cabs with car seats: we would just tell the bell hop out front of whatever resort we were at and they would either call or hail one of the taxis hanging around the parking lot. Only one time did one come without a carseat.

BUT all the cabbies did a horrible job of hooking up the car seat. One even just put it on the seat and expected me to put my child in it. He claimed he didn't know how to hook it up. Uh, no. So I had to try and figure it out, in the heat (he didn't have his AC on), and 7 months pregnant. After struggling for about 5 minutes he helped me out. Yeah, right he didn't know how to hook it up.

So although there are cabs with car seats easily accessible, the installation is very shady, and in my opinion more dangerous than when we just strapped her in the seat belt the one time they didn't have a car seat. I would strongly suggest bringing your own that you know how to strap in, if you are at all nervous about any of this.

WorldTraveler
06-11-2009, 11:02 AM
We have made friends with one taxi driver and we have his cell phone. When we are at WDW I call him and fill him in about our plans to see if he will be available. He even meets us at theme parks in the middle of the day when I call ahead.
I call one week before our trips to talk to him about his schedule. He has been great taking us to church and being at the church when we get out to take us back to WDW property.
If you find a driver with a car seat that is helpful, ask for his cell phone number and schedule. Most likly you will build a friendship with the driver.
At least you will be able to plan your return trip with a driver without waiting for them to find another one with a child seat.