PDA

View Full Version : buffet tipping

mludman
06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
how much should i tip for buffets

DizneyRox
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Disney thinks 18% is appropriate. I think 10% is fine for good service, less for worse.

MickeyandTink
06-09-2009, 12:05 PM
I usually tip 10% for adequate service and 15% for very good service. If they go above and beyond the call of duty, 18-20%. For standard Table service, I generally use the same standards, but raise each amount about 5% (i.e. 15% for adequate, 20% for good, etc.)

On a slight digression, I don't mind that Disney has included spots for "recommended" tipping amounts to use as a guide, but I absolutely refuse to be compelled to tip the "recommended" amount for poor service. :noway:

Seasonscraps
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Depending on the rounding, I probably tip in the 15-18% range for good service.

NotaGeek
06-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Appropriate tipping for Buffet Service is 10%. No one is bring you food ... they are only clearing plates and bringing drinks. 15-20% is for table service.

tiaramom
06-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I set aside $10 for a family of 2 adults and one baby
Thats it- unless they are very attentive- then I tip higher.

gerald72
06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I usually tip 10% for adequate service and 15% for very good service. If they go above and beyond the call of duty, 18-20%. For standard Table service, I generally use the same standards, but raise each amount about 5% (i.e. 15% for adequate, 20% for good, etc.)

On a slight digression, I don't mind that Disney has included spots for "recommended" tipping amounts to use as a guide, but I absolutely refuse to be compelled to tip the "recommended" amount for poor service. :noway:

What is above and beyond the call of duty for a buffet? Do they take your dirty plates away really fast?

NotaGeek
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I set aside $10 for a family of 2 adults and one baby
Thats it- unless they are very attentive- then I tip higher.
You tip by the size of your family and not your bill? That's a new one for me, it seems that might not work out to be the most cost effective tipping system.

dephenn
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Good service at a buffet can be a lot of things. The server might recommend things to try from the line, give you tips on where to stand for fire works or parades, make sure characters make it to your table,make you feel welcome and your kids feel special, so a good server at a buffet does more then just remove you your dirty dishes and refill your drinks, they make you feel like a V.I.P. When someone does these things it makes me want to go back there and know the money I'm spending especially in this economy is worth it to return to Disney every year and for service like that I don't mind dropping 30%. I've never waited on people for a living, but I've seen how hard and under appreciated it can be. Even if the service isn't up to par and all i get is someone that removes our plates as long as it's timely I leave 15%, and if the service is bad where we end up waiting a long time for drinks (20min. or more and the plates don't get removed) 10%

renecat
06-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Keep in mind these people make below min. wage on the dollor amount per hour.
10-15% on buffet and 15-20% for regular dinning is really the norm. I have always said everyone should have to work in food service at least once to understand what some of these wait people go through.

TheRustyScupper
06-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Disney thinks 18% is appropriate.

1) Disney does not think 18%.
2) The union contract says Disney will pay or recommend 18%. *
3) This was a negotiated number, not the Real World number.
4) Many tipping websites say %5-10% for buffets.

* The union contract Addendum-B1 says 18%. It also says that WDW will gurantaee 6% tip to CM's when guests use the Dining Plan for any meal (8% in 2010) for parties less than six. So, when people tip 18%, the server actually gets 24%. Of course, above six, the automatic 18% kicks in. Thus, it is better for the CM to have tables less than six people.

Kathy Jetson
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I have waited tables for a living and will always tip 20%. My server at Chef Mickeys was very helpful to us my son can only eat certain things and she went out out her way to find things for him, she did much more than simply take our plates away. I can't tell you how horrible it feels to work on your feet for 8 hours for $2.13 p/hour and go home with hardly any money to pay your bills and take care fo your family:(

GrumpyFan
06-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Most web sites seem to agree that 10% at a buffet is acceptable. However, if service is exceptional, then they recommend more, and of course less if service is less than standard.

Personally, I usually stick to the above practice.

Hull-onian
06-09-2009, 05:58 PM
We always tip at the buffett. Mostly our servers have been very attentive so we are generous tippers. :mickey:

MinnieMommie
06-09-2009, 07:24 PM
I have waited tables for a living and will always tip 20%. My server at Chef Mickeys was very helpful to us my son can only eat certain things and she went out out her way to find things for him, she did much more than simply take our plates away. I can't tell you how horrible it feels to work on your feet for 8 hours for $2.13 p/hour and go home with hardly any money to pay your bills and take care fo your family:(

I think people sometimes forget how dependent the servers are on tips for their livelyhood. You would have to do something really terrible and terrible with intent to make me give less than 20%. :mickey:

Familyof4
06-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I tip 15-20%, but I have a child with food allergies, so special care is taken at a buffet to prepare his food to avoid cross contamination. Good service is good service and should be rewarded as such. I wouldn't break teh bank, but be nice:-)

DizneyRox
06-09-2009, 08:57 PM
1) Disney does not think 18%.
2) The union contract says Disney will pay or recommend 18%. *
3) This was a negotiated number, not the Real World number.
4) Many tipping websites say %5-10% for buffets.

* The union contract Addendum-B1 says 18%. It also says that WDW will gurantaee 6% tip to CM's when guests use the Dining Plan for any meal (8% in 2010) for parties less than six. So, when people tip 18%, the server actually gets 24%. Of course, above six, the automatic 18% kicks in. Thus, it is better for the CM to have tables less than six people.
Frankly, when a gratuity is automatically added to my bill, I don't care who/what negotiated it, to me, "Disney" has decided what is appropriate for a tip. Tables in Wonderland adds the gratuity automatically, regardless of level of service, number in the party, etc. There is no distinction between a full service eatery and a buffet on the TiW card, 18% across the board.

FLKatie912
06-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I think people sometimes forget how dependent the servers are on tips for their livelyhood. You would have to do something really terrible and terrible with intent to make me give less than 20%. :mickey:

I do server/bartend for a living, and unfortunatly don't have the option of adding gratutity for parties. I've been picking up shifts left and right this week due to that fact my Disney trip is in less than a week, and it's just so sad how people tip. Servers often talk about tables after our shifts, and we often wonder "Do people know we only make $2.33 an hour?" It's really nice to know that there's people out there that do realize that. :thumbsup:

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I tip 15-20%. Most of the time it's 20%. I always get great service at the buffets. My plates are always removed before I get back to the table with a new plate, my drinks are never less than half full before they are refilled and they are always happy to take pictures of my DH and I.

MickeyandTink
06-12-2009, 11:20 AM
What is above and beyond the call of duty for a buffet? Do they take your dirty plates away really fast?

It's the little extras. For example, one year at Chef Mickey's, the server brought out a placemat signed by the characters for DD. Another time, they brought out a special "birthday" cupcake (without any request on our part) at another restaurant because we were celebrating DS's birthday.

Other times, it's just being very attentive on refilling drinks or just otherwise making us feel special.

prttynpnk
06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
We start tipping at 15% and go to 30% for incredible service. At Cape May last week we had a great waitress who never let the glasses remain empty, cleared the table often and was very personable. We tipped 25% and she earned it.

lightyearfan
06-12-2009, 01:09 PM
me and dw tip $10 on buffets, and some people might think that this is too little, well i'm sorry i can't see giving more when all the waiter or waitress does is pour you a cup a coffee, so me and dw think that this is more than adequte. we've only done Boma's buffet and can you count Ohana? at ohana's we do give the 18%

Victor

patandtwins
06-14-2009, 08:05 PM
We tip 10%. They just don't do as much and thus can take care of twice the tables. In WDW, we probably tip a little more (however I'm not sure if we've had the chance since all -but one- of our trips have included tips in the dining plan). You'd probably be safe with 15%.