PDA

View Full Version : Daily Spending Money

JRocker
06-09-2009, 12:38 AM
For the longest time I have a debit card for my checking account. I really just didn't trust myself with one (remembering to make a record of when I used it, not spending too much, etc.).
So, when we would make our Disney trips, I would make an envelope for each day and put in the cash the I had budgeted for that day. In most cases that would be fourteen envelopes with cash for food and misc. My budgeting for these trips is really a bit on the fat side, so most of the time I would have daily money carrying over to the next day. Like day five envelope would have $70 in it and I would still have $70 in my pocket from day four.
This system has really worked out great. Towards the end of the trip when we go to pick up a few souveniers, we have a healthy wad of leftover money.

I finally buckled and got me a debit card a couple of years ago, but it is staying in my pocket. The daily envelope system has worked out great for us, and I still haven't grown up enough to trust myself with a debit card in the parks.

Anybody else have trip budgeting systems that they stick to?

nicster
06-09-2009, 02:06 AM
We would bring Disney $$, & hand them out to the kids for each days food allowance. It was amazing how, when they had an amount to budget, they got real careful about ordering soft drinks, and the biggest ... As for the grownups, we just keep receipts and tally after using the charge card.

DisneyPrincess21
06-09-2009, 02:34 AM
So, when we would make our Disney trips, I would make an envelope for each day and put in the cash the I had budgeted for that day. In most cases that would be fourteen envelopes with cash for food and misc. My budgeting for these trips is really a bit on the fat side, so most of the time I would have daily money carrying over to the next day. Like day five envelope would have $70 in it and I would still have $70 in my pocket from day four.

I have always done the same thing. I have always worried I would run out of my money too early. The way I figure out how much money to budget for each day is, (1)If it is a park or non park day (2) Where we are eating at, (3) Any special events ie-MVMCP I allow myself extra money for those events (4) Extra money just for water and powerade.
I always end up "rolling" money over from one day to the next, Because I spend it more carefully if I have an exact amount saved for that day. I usually have a good amount of money left over after the trip also, which is a nice plus! :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
06-09-2009, 07:21 AM
I would seriously consider the debit card, or a credit card for a trip. If that money gets lost or stolen, you're up the proverbial creek. While I admire the fact that people don't want to use debit/credit cards, there are just so many advantages to it. The money comes right out of your checking account (debit card), so if you do break the rules, you're only hurting yourself. Knowing that should be enough to keep you in line. While I don't like credit cards, sometimes they just are a necessary evil. And honestly, as long as it's paid off each month, I don't see any problems with them. Once you start to carry a balance, and accept that you will, you're done for.

We do bring a little cash with us. We don't let it ride though. Anything not spend that day just stays in the account.

jusandnew
06-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Do you recommend a Disney gift card for kids? I am worried about cash and my kids loosing it.

CzepielCrew
06-09-2009, 07:54 AM
My first visit to Disney, I used the envelope method and carried over the money I did not use that day into the remaining envelopes, worked great. The last time I visited, I used a debit and credit card. I probably spent twice as much. I would vote for the envelopes. I would take an envelope with me for the day and put the other ones in the safe in the room.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
The DW and I would always bring travelers checks, with half in her name and half in mine. Very seldom did we use even half of her's. Another thing I do that drives DW crazy is that I never spend singles ($1 bills). At home I put them in a jar and save them to deposit in savings at a later date for a future trip. Since our trip in December, I have saved $300 in singles for our trip in 13 days...

yjgirl32
06-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I like the envelope idea. For my DS6 I am doing the gift card and disney dollar idea. Thanks for he tips.

Mousemates
06-09-2009, 11:12 AM
The DW and I would always bring travelers checks, with half in her name and half in mine. Very seldom did we use even half of her's. Another thing I do that drives DW crazy is that I never spend singles ($1 bills). At home I put them in a jar and save them to deposit in savings at a later date for a future trip. Since our trip in December, I have saved $300 in singles for our trip in 13 days...

Not sure how you manage to accumulate singles with a teenage child...mine are constantly hitting me up for a couple dollars here or there. :)

JRocker
06-09-2009, 01:57 PM
If that money gets lost or stolen, you're up the proverbial creek.

Not if I'm prepared for it, with money available through credit cards or debit.

I'm sorry, I can't live my life being frightened of "if's".
You could say I would be up a creek if I lost <x>, or if <x> was stolen. If I let any of those fears get in my way, I would just stay at home locked up in my closet. I prepare for such occurences, but they will not rule my life.

sainter
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Do you recommend a Disney gift card for kids? I am worried about cash and my kids loosing it.

I guess it depends on the age of your kids, but I loved having gift cards to hand out for lunch or if we were going to separate for a while during the day. I kept a tiny sharpie marker in my bag and wrote the remaining balance on the cards so we knew what we had left. The balance is always shown at the bottom of your receipt.

Figment52
06-09-2009, 03:38 PM

You could say I would be up a creek if I lost <x>, or if <x> was stolen. If I let any of those fears get in my way, I would just stay at home locked up in my closet. I prepare for such occurences, but they will not rule my life.

I think what they were trying to say is that if you lose cash, you can bet you aren't getting it back. Whereas if you lose a debit or credit card, you can cancel them. If they're used, than you're only liable for a small amount, if any at all. I'm not sure about the gift cards, but you might be able to get a replacement with whatever amount was on it.

BluewaterBrad
06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
I cant think of budgets when I am at WDW. I worry about after I get home!!:mickey:

princessesmom
06-09-2009, 04:50 PM
We're good with budgeting, so we simply use our charge card when on vacation and pay the bill in full when it arrives. I completely understand that this may not work for all people. I think putting your daily allowance in an envelope is an excellent idea. Of course you could lose it, but as you said any number of things "could" happen. And you're only carrying around money for 1 day, not hundreds of dollars for the entire stay. I think it is great that you have a system that works and prevents you from living above your means.

We give our children an "allowance" while at Disney. We don't give them cash or gift cards, we simply tell them what they are allowed to spend. We take a day to go shopping and once they have spent their allowance, they're done. Things can get completely out of control if you don't put some thought into these things ahead of time.

DisneyPrincess21
06-09-2009, 05:10 PM

I am like you, I have never had a problem losing the money or it getting stolen. That doesn't even enter my mind that much as far as something valid I should worry about.

And you're only carrying around money for 1 day, not hundreds of dollars for the entire stay. I think it is great that you have a system that works and prevents you from living above your means.

Exactly, I only carry around that days money and I leave the rest in a safe and secret spot where no one would find it. And if I do happen to lose that day's money it isnt a huge amount.
I have never lost money or had it stolen while using the "envelope" system. It makes it much easier for me to keep track of what I have for that day.
Besides, I am too busy worrying about what ride or show to do next, to have to worry about spending too much money one day :D :mickey:

I still have a debit card and credit card that I can use if I ever needed extra money in an emergency. It's not like I rely solely on cash. It just makes it easier on me to have each day's worth of cash available in an envelope. Plus when I am visiting some other places out side of the "world" some places are alittle sketchy and I don't trust using a debit or credit card there, So It helps to have the cash on hand

mouseketeer mom
06-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I bring cash and my debit card. I am one that likes to have a back up..don't like to put all my eggs in one basket. I am not very good at budgeting on my WDW trips, honestly. Money goes out much faster than I would like. We always spend more than planned. It all adds up so quickly.

Magic Smiles
06-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't think that they make envelopes BIG enough for how much I am capable of spending in a day. I might just consider the envelopes for my next trip. Think of all the money I could save. Okay, I considered it........don't think I could do it.:D
I would be afraid that I would lose them. We actually use Travellers Cheques as being Canadians we have to exchange our money. Do they still have travellers cheques?

jcvalenti
06-10-2009, 09:46 PM
We bring cash for walking around the park, and all purchases, meals and substantial expenses go on the Amex (where we get up to 3% back). Also, and hopefully this is never an issue, buying on a credit card gives you some protection against theft, in case someone grabs a bag of souvenoirs out of your stroller or something (that's never happened to us, thank God).

We don't really do a daily limit, but I have an idea what I want to spend on the trip, and we rarely go over ... but then again, I set a pretty big limit. I've always been of the school that when we go on vacation, we go large. Fewer vacations but better ones ... that kind of thing.

alaMode
06-11-2009, 03:55 AM
I hate dealing with cash, but I'm also good at controlling my spending even while using credit cards.

We typically use a reward credit card, either AMEX or Disney Visa, and pay the bill in full when it arrives. I also like the convenience of charging everything with my room key.

We don't do the DDP because it doesn't make sense for our family--we like to eat smaller meals and often share.

On our last week-long trip, DS (9) and I received a $200 gift card at check-in. Between that and our Disney Visa rewards, we didn't spend anything extra. We budgeted $50/day for food and shopping and we had $$ left over for a shopping spree on our last day.

It was wonderful coming home and knowing I had already paid for the whole vacation!

Tess
poly07
poly08
pop09
popChristmas09

DisneyFr33k
06-11-2009, 08:23 AM
For the longest time I have a debit card for my checking account. I really just didn't trust myself with one (remembering to make a record of when I used it, not spending too much, etc.).
This system has really worked out great. Towards the end of the trip when we go to pick up a few souveniers, we have a healthy wad of leftover money.

I finally buckled and got me a debit card a couple of years ago, but it is staying in my pocket. The daily envelope system has worked out great for us, and I still haven't grown up enough to trust myself with a debit card in the parks.

I do the EXACT same thing! :thumbsup: And on the front of the envelope I write down the schedule for the day, along with the ADR ressie numbers and times. Helps keep us focused and not to over spend. Also, it helps our kids see that they have just that set amount of money to buy a souvenier.

Disney Doll
06-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I typically set aside more than we need in savings just in case and then in the parks we use plastic exclusively. Heck in everyday life I use plastic exclusively. Just swipe and go. I don't necessarily keep track of every dollar, but I'm usually pretty good at estimating how much we need. We know what restaurants we have lined up so I know about how much I might spend on food. The only cash I keep is for tips and I have to have those in pre-made envelopes because usually I don't have cash. When we get home I pay off the plastic and start saving for next year. We aren't crazy spenders anyway, but when on vacation I don't want to worry about money. I spend however much I think I need to with full confidence that we have saved more than enough.