PDA

View Full Version : Jared's "this time I'm not promising to finish" May 2009 Trip Report Day 3

Jared
06-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Sorry I haven’t posted another installment in a few days. Told you these things take time! That’s why I refused to promise a complete report. But I have a light day at the ballpark, so this is the perfect time to reflect and reminisce on what was an excellent Disney vacation.

Justin and I slept much better today. Not a surprise, really. A day of touring has a way of knocking you out. We woke up around 8:40 a.m. or so actually feeling rested, which at Disney is an impressive feat. Normally, we’d be up earlier, but we really weren’t in a rush to get anywhere. We’ve seen all the attractions before. The parks will be there when we’re ready.

We walked through the Epcot gates around 9:30 and made a beeline for Soarin’, expecting to immediately obtain FASTPASSes and move on. Surprisingly, the posted wait time was just 30 minutes, which should demonstrate how uncrowded the park was today. I’ve seen waits of way over an hour at this time before, so this was a pleasant bonus. I can’t even remember the last time I rode Soarin’ standby, so I was actually excited to the games on those screens. Unfortunately, they were not operating, so Justin and I stood 30 minutes in what is undoubtedly the absolute worst queue area for any significant attraction in Disney history. Honestly, it’s embarrassing. I know they would argue that the exposed plumbing simply adds to the theming, and it is all intentional. Nice try. Good thing the ride is so awesome. Even sitting in the third row with the feet hanging down, Soarin’ is still a fantastic experience every time, and it is my absolute favorite attraction in Epcot.

On the way out, we grabbed FASTPASSes to return later and moved on to Spaceship Earth. This was always my favorite Epcot attraction until Soarin’, but that was with Jeremy Irons’ narration. Unfortunately, I think the so-called upgrade actually made the ride worse. The Judi Dench script is considerably dumbed down and geared for children, without the subtleties and intricacies of Irons’ spiel. I always feel like Dench is talking down to me. It really hurts the ride. Yes, the Animatronic work in the first half of the attraction is probably a bit better, but not considerably. It’s not a substantial enough improvement to justify the absolutely pathetic finale. The decent used to be my favorite part of the entire experience. It was dramatic, emotional and uplifting. The beautiful score coupled with Irons’ beautiful voice made for a moving conclusion to a fantastic ride. Instead, we have these silly screens that add nothing. Talk about an upgrade on the cheap. The whole thing is cheesy and useless, lacking any semblance of the tone of the rest of the attraction. Spaceship Earth used to be geared for adults. Now it’s not really for anyone. I still ride it every trip because I love the first half so much, but I long for Jeremy Irons’ return.

All that said, the new Project Tomorrow is actually quite cool, especially compared to the old Global Neighborhood, and we always spend a few minutes fiddling around with the games before exiting. I really like the driving game. It’s silly but fun, so Justin and I played for about 20 minutes and continued onward.

The wait at Test Track was unreasonable, and we couldn’t obtain FASTPASSes for a while longer, so we decided to take advantage of the single rider queue. This is a feature more attractions should employ, especially ones like Soarin’ and Splash Mountain, on which I always see empty seats because of the ride vehicle configuration. Despite a posted standby wait time of about an hour, Justin and I were in the briefing room and settled in our cars within 10-to-15 minutes of entering the line. True, it would have been more fun to ride together, so I understand the downside of the singles line, but it sure beat waiting in that loud and obnoxious queue. I’ve always thought Test Track has a bad reputation around here. It’s probably my next-favorite Epcot attraction after Soarin’ and Spaceship Earth, but all I see on the boards are people constantly bashing it. No, it is not a true thrill ride. And yes, some of the stuff at the beginning is rather uneventful, albeit rather interesting. But the feeling of zooming around that loop outside is unbelievably exhilierating. You think it will never slow down, and you feel like you are flying. It’s short, but the final segment of Test Track makes it all worthwhile for me.

Despite my protestations, Justin really wanted to ride Mission: SPACE, and I couldn’t bring myself to deny one of his few wishes. There was virtually no wait, as there never seems to be, and were loaded in our spinning chambers of death within 15 minutes. I’ve suffered through this attraction multiple times and dislike it more with each ride. The feeling of blasting off was incredibly cool the first two tries, but now it is no longer worth it. I always leave feeling a little unstable. Not fully nauseous, necessarily, but not quite right, either. Disney rides shouldn’t make me feel like taking a dive into the fish tanks at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. Nevertheless, I somehow survived our traumatic journey to Mars feeling pretty wobbly. Justin was happy, so I guess it was worth it. On the way out, they were hawking some interactive game, so we decided to play. It was actually pretty fun! It was essentially nothing more than a glorified video game, but we enjoyed it. We also played the other video game on the other end of the postshow. I know people probably consider these minor diversions wastes of time, but we enjoyed them.

Our FASTPASS return time had come up for Soarin’, so we swung past Test Track on the way to snag FASTPASSes for later. We happily crossed Future World toward The Land pavilion for our second flight of the day. I was shocked to see the posted standby wait time at just 55 minutes. Are the lines at Soarin’ finally dying down, or was the park just empty today? I had never seen such a short wait here at the middle of the day since the ride opened. With FASTPASS, we zoomed to the loading area, and a nice Cast Member honored our request to sit in B-1, so we had a perfect view. Sitting in the front row really does enhance the experience, and it is worth waiting an extra ride cycle to do so. Most CMs are very accommodating. I’ve only been turned down once.

NEXT POST

Jared
06-08-2009, 08:54 PM
It was now around 12:45, and we had lunch reservations at Coral Reef in 20 minutes, but we decided to take a quick spin on the Nemo ride beforehand. Nothing special here, but not terrible, either. Certainly worth a visit to escape the heat for a few minutes. The queue area is incredibly long and windy, but there is never a wait. I like the effects on the ceiling that guests feel like they are actually underwater. All of the characters from the movie are represented, and the turtle part at the end is actually pretty fun. Whatever. This pavilion was virtually empty for years, and now it is worthwhile again.

We were really excited about our meal at Coral Reef. Neither of us had been there before, and it is one of those places that seems to be part of the fabric of Disney World. The restaurant is featured in legitimately every sitcom that had a Disney episode, and even people who have only visited the park once in their life seem to know about Coral Reef’s existence. Granted, reviews are always incredibly mixed, but I tend not to put too much stock in Disney restaurant reviews until I try the place myself. So we went in with an open mind.

Our lunch got off to a fantastic start, as the host led us down to the lowest tier of the restaurant and sat us a table directly next to the tanks. One side was literally leaning against the glass. The view was extraordinary, and we were immediately excited. In between pointing out the various animals swimming around -- including manta rays, sharks and giant turtles -- we perused the menu. The offerings have changed from most menus posted online. The lobster roll entree is gone, replaced with a lobster ravioli dish. Also, the barbecued salmon sandwich has been discontinued, in favor of another beef item. I can’t remember the rest of the differences, but I’m sure they’ll pop up on another site soon enough.

Justin began his meal with the lobster soup and ordered the shrimp Caesar salad as his main course. I started with a basic green salad with the key lime vinaigrette as an appetizer and the blackened catfish for my entree. First, our server presented us with a basket of warm bread, along with a dish of cold butter and a delicious olive oil and vinegar mixture for dipping. The bread was yummy and we had to resist the urge to down it all. Justin said he preferred the loaf at Kona, and I probably agree, but it’s definitely close. The Kona bread is unique and sweet. The bread at Coral Reef is standard but of high quality.

The appetizers soon followed. My salad was exactly what I wanted: light and refreshing. The dressing was tangy and smooth, and I especially enjoyed the sliced green apples atop the greens. This is a very good starter for lunch. Justin’s lobster soup was certainly the winner, though. I took a few bites, and it was phenomenal. The soup wast thick, creamy and rich with nice big lobster chunks floating around. Not sure I could have eaten the entire bowl myself, but it was absolutely delicious.

Unlike our dinner from the night before, we actually received our entrees this time. In fact, the service here was fantastic and a major improvement from Kona. We did not feel rushed, but our server made sure we were in and out in a timely fashion, so we could continue touring the park. Justin’s Caesar salad was served the traditional way, with the romaine lettuce served whole, not chopped. The dressing was drizzled on top, along with grated parmesan cheese and an abundance of tender medium-sized shrimp. He said it was very tasty, and he is a Caesar salad connoisseur. I had a few bites and also enjoyed it. The shrimp were very tasty and tender -- a nice change from the usual grilled chicken. My catfish was absolutely spectacular. I was planning on ordering the salmon sandwich, but I had to find something new because it has been taken off the menu. Lucky me. This was a fantastic dish. It was a little spicy, but nothing crazy. Those who are very sensitive may have a problem, but for anyone else, it should be fine. The fish was topped with what the menu called a tomato marmalade, but it tasted like a chunky tomato sauce. It also came with delicious cheesy polenta, which was a wonderful touch.

For dessert, we ordered the famous Chocolate Wave, which was tasty but not as good as the Kilauea Torte over at Kona. The two desserts are similar, but Justin and I agreed this one came in a close second.

We loved our meal at Coral Reef, and I don’t understand the mixed reviews. Did we just catch it on a good day? Did we order right? Between the food and atmosphere, we will definitely be returning on our next trip, but I would love hear some negative opinions so I can understand the problems people have had here.

Justin and I were curious to learn how we would feel after leaving. We had never had a real table service lunch at Disney before, unless you count Beaches & Cream the day before. When traveling with my family, we always have counter service for lunch and table service for dinner, not wanting to spend park time eating. After trying Coral Reef, I love the idea of table service lunches. We got back out to the park very refreshed and ready for more touring, and sitting in the air conditioning for an hour in the middle of the day was appreciated. Not sure I’ll be able to convince everyone else in the future, but this was an excellent experience for us.

With food in our bellies, we had a few minutes to kill before our Test Track window opened, so we meandered to the back of Future World and rode Journey Into Imagination With Figment. It has now been about 11 years since the original ride closed, so there are many kids who have no idea how great it used to be. I actually don’t mind the current version. It isn’t spectacular or particularly memorable, but it’s not a disaster like the second incarnation. The DreamFinder is quickly becoming a part of history, not a recent character in Disney lore.

Now it was time for Test Track, so we zipped over there and boarded our car in a few minutes. Another great ride. The “thermal imaging” portion at the very end was not operating either time. Not like that really matters, but I was wondering if it has been down for a while. The in-ride narration still talked about it. Whatever. Only Disney geeks like us would even think about something so silly and minor.

The original plan was to go back to the resort for a while to swim, but Justin and I were both feeling pretty energetic, so we decided to skip the break and continue onward to the Magic Kingdom. This choice would come back to haunt us later in the day.

NEXT POST

Jared
06-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Our trip between the two parks was a lot more eventful than anyone could have expected. Consider this a list of bizarre monorail experiences on our journey to the Magic Kingdom. After boarding, it took a while before the doors closed. It didn’t seem too out of the ordinary, but the train was definitely in the station longer than usual. Suddenly, as the doors were in the process of closing, a middle-aged couple came running from the wrong side of the station and essentially jumped onto the monorail. Nobody noticed them entering the train from the exit side. Usually, those doors close immediately. Justin and I didn’t know what to do. We froze and tried not to laugh hysterically. The whole thing was crazy. Apparently, their action completely screwed up the system, because that door now physically could not close. Every other door on both sides of the monorail was locked, but this one simply would not. I’m not exaggerating: We heard the “please stand clear of the door” announcement about 20 times. Each time, the door started to close, then swung open. Finally, after I was about ready to punch out the speaker system, the door closed and we continued on our way. Even stranger, when we arrived at the Transportation and Ticket Center, that couple did not get off the monorail. I’m not sure if they knew the train was going right back to Epcot.

The strange monorail trip wasn’t over. We took the express train straight from the TTC to the park. When we arrived, a couple in our car told a Cast Member “they were staying on.” I suspect they thought they were on the resort monorail. Not sure what happened when they found out they were going back to the parking lot.

All told, it was a very eventful trip, but we finally made it to the park and immediately hopped on the Walt Disney World Railroad to Frontierland. I like this nifty little train ride, and I always forget it passes by a scene from Splash Mountain, so that was a pleasant surprise.

The posted wait time at Splash Mountain was 80 minutes, so we decided to grab FASTPASSes for around 7 p.m. and check over at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Then we took a quick bathroom break. Notice I have not mentioned any other such stops during this trip report, and normally I would spare you all those types of gory details. But this was a notable restroom trip. When we emerged, the standby wait time had Splash was reduced all the way to 30 minutes -- completely manageable and worth waiting. We were thoroughly ticked we had just locked our FASTPASS privileges because someone miscalculated the wait by 50 minutes. I had never seen such a dramatic change so quickly before. Alas. We queued up and boarded within around 40 minutes and enjoyed our journey. I got wet this time around the dreaded first turn, but it wasn’t brutal, and it was a hot day.

The line at Big Thunder was about 30 minutes, so we went there next. Is there a more confusing, convoluted and deceiving queue in all of Disney? You wind through what seems like an endless amount of turnstiles, never actually knowing where the end is. Also, why is that queue so darn boring? Fortunately, the line moved. I don’t mind waiting a while, but I hate feeling stopped. At Tower of Terror the day before, we were legitimately stopped in our tracks for 15 or 20 minutes. That’s brutal. Even though it took about 35 minutes to reach the boarding area at Big Thunder, we never stopped walking. There were just so many twists and turns. It was worth the wait, of course. Big Thunder is my second-favorite attraction in the Magic Kingdom behind Splash Mountain.

Then the unthinkable happened: We hit the proverbial wall. I don’t know what happened, but somewhere around the second lift of Big Thunder Mountain we stopped having fun. We were tired and hot. It was such a sudden shift, but if I have learned anything from many Disney trips, it’s to abort all missions in times like these, so we trekked back to the bus stop and got out of there.

Great decision. The pool at the Pop Century was legitimately a godsend. We splashed around and played with some inflatable balls for more than an hour, soaking up the sunset coming over the buildings at the resort. It was such a fabulous break, that we wished we just took it after leaving Epcot instead of pushing ourselves to the Magic Kingdom. It definitely hurt the experience of the park. But no matter. Not worth complaining about. We felt refreshed again, but really didn’t feel like going back to the park. The buses are a hassle, and it didn’t seem worth it. So we did what any hungry Disney guests do when they don’t have a reservation: We went to Wolfgang Puck Express!

Is there a better counter service option anywhere? What a fabulous restaurant. This was my fourth meal here, and I have never had anything but fantastic experiences. I have tried something different every time and loved each item more than the one before. Is there even a bad item on that menu? I’d like to find out. I sure haven’t found it yet.

Justin ordered the barbecue chicken quesadilla, which I had once and enjoyed. Per tradition (and per Ellen’s [ElenitaB]) recommendation, I started with a delectable bowl of the tortilla soup, followed by the tortilla chicken melt. The soup was unbelievable, as always. The broth is thick and chunky, and the goat cheese makes for a smooth finish when stirred in. It’s an incredible soup, beat only by some of the offerings at Boma. The melt was giant and delicious. It was chicken, peppers, mushrooms and onions with melted mozzarella cheese wrapped in the Wolfgang pizza crust into what resembled a giant calzone. It was supposed to come with some sort of coleslaw type item, but instead came to me with potato chips. This is actually the second time I was given the wrong side dish. When I ordered the barbecue chicken foccaccia in December, it came with fries instead of the chips. I didn’t say anything, because I had no problem with what I received. I was curious, though, if this was a mistake, or they simply ran out of the slaw. Strange.

We were getting full, but we couldn’t pass up a sundae at Ghirardelli’s, so that’s where we went next. Justin and I shared the peanut butter hot fudge sundae with rich vanilla ice cream, and it was heavenly. What’s there not to like? The peanut butter was warm and gooey and went perfectly with the ice cream and fudge. Perfection in a sundae cup.

Now we were thoroughly stuffed, but very happy. It beat the parks any day! The exhaustions was returning, though, so we went straight to the bus and back to the resort. It had been another long but fun day. I don’t even remember choosing to go to sleep. I was that tired -- but incredibly satisfied and sad to realize tomorrow would be our final precious hours at Disney.

Thanks for reading, everyone! Sorry about the delay. Hopefully, the final day comes a bit quicker.

mouseketeer mom
06-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Oh yeah, when you hit the wall while at the parks....the only thing you can do is get out and take that much needed break. Glad your day improved again after your break!
Agreed about the catfish at the Coral Reef. One of the best meals I've had on Disney property.
Thanks for the report!

JPL
06-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Great report :mickey:

You are getting me in the mood for my June trip :thumbsup:

aprilisis
06-09-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm really enjoying reading your reports. Thanks! :mickey:

yjgirl32
06-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Great report- thanks for sharing.

DizNee143
06-09-2009, 11:02 AM
wow! what a day!! sounds like you two had a great day!! you really did do alot!!! :mickey:

Mackflava99
06-09-2009, 12:18 PM
excellent report, love the detail-

i have been to Coral reef 3 times and each time it was very good. We had one bad experience and even then they did a tremendous job fixing it.

I always give it positive props !!

BluewaterBrad
06-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Another great report!! Bring us your last day!!:mickey:

offwego
06-10-2009, 11:36 AM
We love Wolfgang Puck express as well, so yummy.

Sounds like you really did have a great time (and that monorail thing was funny, I think the monorails cause more confusion at Epcot then anything..I heard one guest tell her DH that the path it takes inside the park was part of test track and you took test track to get to MK...can you imagine?)

I'm glad you liked the pool at Pop we are looking forward to it in August.

faline
06-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the report.

artyboy
06-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks for posting.

I totally agree with you on both of your restaurants...I love Coral Reef and the catfish really is amazing...and I have to eat at Wolfgang Puck's (express or cafe) on every trip!

vizsla
06-11-2009, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the report.

Jared
06-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I will try to have the final day ready by the end of this week. Hope everyone is enjoying the report. :)

slegrant
06-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks Jared, Great report:mickey:

BriarRose0708
06-11-2009, 12:07 PM
A great day Jared! The blackened catfish is my very favorite thing at Coral Reef. I've actually never tried anything else there. I've also written off Wolfgang Puck's as "too gourmet" for me, but reading your review makes me suggest it for my October trip. Looking forward to the next day!

LandFan
06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
DH and I both agree - the Catfish rocks! Glad you tried it! Can't wait to read the last installment :D

ElenitaB
06-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Great day... even with hitting the wall @ MK and the strange monorail rides. You and Justin certainly did manage to find some "good eats" this day!

DisneyorBust
06-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Great report! Can't agree more with you in regards to enjoying a table service lunch during hot weather visits. We have done just the same thing and will do so again in the future.
Also, we have the Coral Sea and Wolfgang Puck Express on our "to do" list and after reading your report, I can't wait to try either one. Thanks for taking us along with you!

pdrlkr
06-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

PirateLover
06-19-2009, 12:34 AM
So happy to hear of your great experience at Coral Reef. That is our only ADR for our upcoming trip (we leave in 2 days) and my fiancee is very excited for it. I hope we have just as good of an experience!

BriarRose0708
06-29-2009, 11:53 AM
You're definitely following through on your promise!

*waiting*

Bethanymouse
07-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Thank you for that wonderful post Jared. I love reading your reports, they bring me right to disney. I always feel like I am traveling with you.

Glad to hear you had such an eventful day. Full of good food and lots of fun!:thumbsup: